• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

anybody know where i can find an updated 64 bit version of opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
a 32 bit browser is way too slow for me. i have so many open tabs at once that i need a 64 bit browser.
The performance difference is minimal. 32bit browser has smaller pointers/references while 64bit browser has more registers and more powerful instructions. Since browsers are hardly processor intensive I would imagine there being no noticeable performance difference for the average user such as yourself.

Level 21
and i am telling you that i need 64 bit browsers as 32 bit gives me too little memory. therefore my main browser have to be 64 bit. last time i ran the 32 bit version of internet explorer was because some program opened it and it ran out of memory at 2 gigabytes because my graphics card have 2 gigabytes.(just to prove something to you.) the 64 bit brrowser currently uses a little over 4 gigabytes but is stable as it can use more memory than 4 gigabytes. one problem with the 64 bit opera browsers is that the developers insist on using a plugin wrapper and that is unstable.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Or get a better browser like Chrome of Firefox. With 15 tabs open in Firefox I get about 600 Mb of usage out of my ram and that's with hardware acceleration on mind you as well as a bunch of other shit on.

If you really want multiple tabs, no better option than firefox as it uses quite little memory as opposed to your leaking browser or Chrome. Or just use IE, that's also an option.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Or get a better browser like Chrome of Firefox. With 15 tabs open in Firefox I get about 600 Mb of usage out of my ram and that's with hardware acceleration on mind you as well as a bunch of other shit on.
Unfortunatly I have to say that Firefox is one of the worst browsers when it comes to memory efficiency. I know people who often have to close it because it consumes over a GB of memory with only 5 tabs open. Mind you he uses the Mac build so it is possible only that suffers from such bad leaks however in the past Windows users have reported similar problems. This is most likely due to leaks and not the number of open tabs since it always starts out small even with many tabs open.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Unfortunatly I have to say that Firefox is one of the worst browsers when it comes to memory efficiency. I know people who often have to close it because it consumes over a GB of memory with only 5 tabs open. Mind you he uses the Mac build so it is possible only that suffers from such bad leaks however in the past Windows users have reported similar problems. This is most likely due to leaks and not the number of open tabs since it always starts out small even with many tabs open.

well, I do get about 500Mb of memory usage with 5 tabs as well but I only start to notice it slow down when I get 10 open and i can qualify it as laggy at 20 tabs or more. I myself never have that many open at once so I'm fine. Got enough memory for it to feed on.

This is actually only been like that since the newer build. The old one barely used 200 Mb for me.

EDIT: Turning off Hardware acceleration reduces memory usage by about 20% - just tested. Went from 500MB to 380MB.

Level 23
dont forget the more css/html/javascript one website has, the more RAM it will consume.

That said, if you open twitch on firefox and open some stream, then if you hover your mouse over the stream, it will freeze for a moment, and if you check the memory, it goes 400 MB -> 1270 MB and then drops back down :D, well at least for me, but then again, this is probably problem with Flash and not with Firefox

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

dont forget the more css/html/javascript one website has, the more RAM it will consume.

That said, if you open twitch on firefox and open some stream, then if you hover your mouse over the stream, it will freeze for a moment, and if you check the memory, it goes 400 MB -> 1270 MB and then drops back down :D, well at least for me, but then again, this is probably problem with Flash and not with Firefox

Wait what? I have to test that. I haven't watched a live stream in some time, only past recordings where this is not present.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
and if you check the memory, it goes 400 MB -> 1270 MB and then drops back down :D
To reduce memory overhead of streams, they often back the video buffer to a file and manipulate it there rather than keep it all in memory. That sort of memory response would be something to do with the file allocation.

Either that or it enters an infinite loop allocating something until it breaks and recovers.

Level 29
Not going to respond to the troll, but you other silly people should actually check what you write (and stop responding to these idiotic threads).

Sure, some browsers are more efficient than others (I think the largest part of this is V8 vs SpiderMonkey, but there might also be noticeable differences in DOM implementations and CSS, I have no idea), but in reality it has nothing to do with the amount of tabs, and everything to do with what the tabs are...

This hive page as I am writing this message takes 5.26MB.
My Gmail inbox takes 91.23MB.
An arbitrary Youtube page I have open takes 29.19MB.

Also notice that a large chunk of the memory the browser is taking isn't directly related to the tabs at all, it will use memory also with no tabs open (JavaScript VM, addons, plugins, and probably a whole lot of other things).

Level 21
eurovision.tv is resource heavy. why do you have bob saget as your profile picture? many browsers have memory leaks but, it seems that some of that is fixed in internet explorer 9 which i am using. it can be either 64 bit or 32 bit and comes with dual executables. main problem with opera is that they release the versions as separate installers and even history is saved separately. since i can not import history from my 64 bit opera into a 32 bit version i need to wait until a 64 bit version is released.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

a 32 bit browser is way too slow for me. i have so many open tabs at once that i need a 64 bit browser. until i find an updated 64 bit version of the opera browser i am using version 12,17 unless there is a newer 64 bit version somewhere.

Opera 12.18 for Windows (32 bit and 64 bit versions)

There is no 64 bit version according to their main site. Support for that has been discontinued. [...]

this again? I wonder how many times does someone have to tell you there is no 64 bit version before you understand...

Opera 12.17 was released in 2014. Opera 12.18 was released in early 2016
Surprise: Opera 12.18 has been released - gHacks Tech News
Opera 12 and Opera Mail security update - Opera Security

I point out, the 12.xx series is outdated. It should not be updated anymore(?).

I am unaware of any 64 bit version of Opera Next at the moment.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

This is now the place to download Opera 12.18 for Windows:
Index of /pub/opera/win/1218/
('int' means multilingual version)

It has come to my attention v12.18 may not use TLS 1.1 nor 1.2. This might be true after an upgrade from v12.17. If such is the case, then one should manually activate these two protocols from the Advanced preferences / Security menu.

Additional configuration can be done from the opera:config URI scheme.

In the Security prefs entry, some people suggest activating 'Strict EV mode' also.

Fun fact: even though 'Strict Transport Security support' is enabled, i seems Session Ticket support is not activated, according to How's My SSL?. Ideas, anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.