• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge: InfernalTater vs Heinvers

Status
Not open for further replies.

152739-albums4597-picture99553.png

152739-albums4597-picture99554.png

The contestants will compete to create a terrain that contains two powerfully different themes. This is only the beginning; they must find a way to transition from one theme to the other appropriately, and it's all got to fit within the same screenshot!
152739-albums4597-picture99549.gif

152739-albums4597-picture99550.gif

152739-albums4597-picture99551.png

152739-albums4597-picture99552.png

Contest Duration: 10 Days
Proposed Reputation Award: 10 Points
Proposed Judges: fladdermasken and Keiji
Requirements:
File Size Limit: 4 MB
Imports Allowed: Any (Excluding Rips)
Playable: Optional

Contestants must share resources used with each other upon request
Contestants must be willing to allow the THW community to use their submitted terrain (either shared publicly,
or donated to a specific user that intends to use it)
No prior terrain work may be used
Contestants must keep WIP's handy in case of a request to present them by the judge(s).
Terrain will be judged from a screenshot taken by the author at the position and angle of their choice, however
it must be relatively bugless and complete from all angles within the front 180 degrees (left, right, front).
For example, a mountain shouldn't suddenly turn into a flat slab when viewed from the side.

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Neat. Good luck to you both.

I am the law!

Just to be clear, are we doing this like the old days? i.e. the loser gets a -10 rep reduction?

Also, optionally playable? Just make clear which format the final submission should come in.

I'd rather not include the rep penalty, unless that's required for the rep reward. I want this to be fun, not too intense. Heinvers and I are both lazy.

Optional means optional. Not mandatory. It doesn't have to be playable. I hope that's understood by everyone. Heinvers already knows the conditions, though, so I won't need to explain them to him again; I wanted to make this fair, so I spoke with him about most of the conditions before posting, to come to agreement with something we will both enjoy.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'd rather not include the rep penalty, unless that's required for the rep reward. I want this to be fun, not too intense. Heinvers and I are both lazy.
REAL MEN BET THEIR LIVES ON THIS SHIT. Honestly though I think it was put in place so users wouldn't trade challenges with each other and take turns forfeiting. Free rep and all that, you know. Doubt it's the case here, but you might as well man up and take it. It's only ten points after all, plus it gives a little extra motivation to deliver something good.

Optional means optional. Not mandatory. It doesn't have to be playable. I hope that's understood by everyone. Heinvers already knows the conditions, though, so I won't need to explain them to him again; I wanted to make this fair, so I spoke with him about most of the conditions before posting, to come to agreement with something we will both enjoy.
I mean which format. As in, is the final submission in the form of a set of screens or a complete map? If it's the complete map, it would be awesome if you can set a dimension restriction. Preferably no bigger than 96x96 should be alright, anything bigger is a bitch to judge.

REAL MEN BET THEIR LIVES ON THIS SHIT. Honestly though I think it was put in place so users wouldn't trade challenges with each other and take turns forfeiting. Free rep and all that, you know. Doubt it's the case here, but you might as well man up and take it. It's only ten points after all, plus it gives a little extra motivation to deliver something good.

The reward (and the feeling of liking what you made) is the motivation to deliver something good. A consequence would also serve as motivation, but not the type of motivation I'm trying to give.

I mean which format. As in, is the final submission in the form of a set of screens or a complete map? If it's the complete map, it would be awesome if you can set a dimension restriction. Preferably no bigger than 96x96 should be alright, anything bigger is a bitch to judge.

It would be judged by the screenshot; smoothly transitioning from one theme to the other within the same picture is part of the challenge. The map would also be submitted but only for judging whether or not it is flawed from other angles, to ensure that skills applicable to playable terrain are also tested; not to judge the quality of the terrain from other angles, because that would prevent us from focusing on the distant background in a specific direction.

Unfortunately, Heinvers has declined the challenge due to this element. If anyone else wants to pick it up, they're welcome to.

Level 35
I am the law!

You're half the law, matey ;)

Just to be clear, are we doing this like the old days? i.e. the loser gets a -10 rep reduction?

That's got to be really old days, as in all my challenging days, I can't remember anything
like that. And, besides, it's a horrible idea.

-

Although the main post is a little overly graphical for my taste, I don't see any problems
here. If both the contestants wills, then I can approve and move this challenge over to
the main forum.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
That's got to be really old days, as in all my challenging days, I can't remember anything like that. And, besides, it's a horrible idea.
Ever fully read the rules? :) -- Also, I don't know about it being a terrible idea. A challenge without consequences is technically not a challenge at all. It's just a closed two person contest with an easy rep boost. Imagine a bet where the winner automatically gets $10 that doesn't come from the loser's pocket. You could argue that the spirit lies in the competition and a punishment is therefore not necessary, but then the reward is also completely out of place.

Although the main post is a little overly graphical for my taste, I don't see any problems
here. If both the contestants wills, then I can approve and move this challenge over to
the main forum.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away :grin:

But unfortunately Heinvers will not be accepting this challenge, so I guess it can be graveyarded unless someone else accepts it soon and I swap out the opponent.

Level 35
Ever fully read the rules? :)

Actually, no.

Also, I don't know about it being a terrible idea.

I said HORRIBLE.

A challenge without consequences is technically not a challenge at all. It's just a closed two person contest with an easy rep boost. Imagine a bet where the winner automatically gets $10 that doesn't come from the loser's pocket.

Well, yeah, that's a fair point. But then, having a penalty to them wouldn't be a great
way to advertise challenges, especially considering how very little people resort to them
these days. And removing the rep reward would give people even less incentive to
challenge each-other. Late days, gents, late days...

Ever fully read the rules? :) -- Also, I don't know about it being a terrible idea. A challenge without consequences is technically not a challenge at all. It's just a closed two person contest with an easy rep boost. Imagine a bet where the winner automatically gets $10 that doesn't come from the loser's pocket. You could argue that the spirit lies in the competition and a punishment is therefore not necessary, but then the reward is also completely out of place.

Should your boss expect you to pay him instead of him paying you when you don't work as hard as your coworkers?

You don't need a threat to do something well. All you need is to want to do it well. A threat is just a way to provide motivation to people who aren't already motivated. The reward of reputation (both artificially through points as well as through people's opinion of you after seeing your submission), and the feeling of liking what you made, are enough for most of us. And being ridiculed for lazily submitting a piece of crap is our deterrent from doing so.

Whether positive reinforcement or negative reinforcement is more effective, is debatable. But even if negative reinforcement were more effective, I would still prefer positive reinforcement because I'm trying to enjoy what I'm doing. I would rather strive for success than flee from failure. And cool, some nice accidental alliteration there. Oh hey, again.

Level 35
No, seriously InternalTater, a challenge always involves a negative reaction for the losing
part. And then, it's not like 10 rep lost will ruin your world. But, as I said previously, I don't
think enforcing this rule will make people more want to challenge each-other.

No, seriously InternalTater, a challenge always involves a negative reaction for the losing
part. And then, it's not like 10 rep lost will ruin your world. But, as I said previously, I don't
think enforcing this rule will make people more want to challenge each-other.

I'm not terrified of losing rep. I just don't think that will make the challenge more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.