• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge: Keiji vs ~Void~: Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I'm by no means an official judge, but hey, I figured I might as well give some constructive feedback. Why not?

Since fladdermasken started with ~Void~, I'm going to go with Keiji first.

Keiji

(+) You absolutely nailed the sun. It looks phenomenal, and bumps this terrain up to a higher level of quality.

(+) The tile variation is quite nice, and I love how you used the red tiles sparingly. It's enough to add color and variation without becoming overbearing.

(+) The transition into the horizon is seamless. I don't see any abrupt transitions, or objects that appear out of place. Everything seems to be placed where they would appear naturally in an environment such as this.

(+) Overall, the atmosphere is wonderful. Very well executed as a whole.

(-) The sky. I've seen my fair share of sunrises and sunsets in the desert, and I can attest to the fact that the sky is usually filled with very vibrant colors. Deep reds and oranges are very common, with purple even being a common possibility. The sky in this, while it would be great in another setting, just doesn't take full advantage of that potential inherent in the setting. This carries over into the clouds as well.

(-) Slightly out of place trees. With this one, I feel a bit nitpicky, as I initially didn't notice the different types of trees, but once I noticed it, I can't help but look at them. I feel that it doesn't directly detract from the environment and the atmosphere, but it's something that can be improved, so consider this sort of neutral ground. Neither a pro or a con, simply something to be aware of.

~Void~

(+) This terrain is a throwback to the days of 2007 and 2008 for me, in a good way. It conveys a sense of nostalgia, and has that "classic" look and feel. You even used the same tree models that we were using back then. It's like a refreshing weekend retreat to "the good 'ole days".

(+) I love the dust/sand in the air. Again, I've spent my fair share of time in desert regions, and dust and sand has a tendency to blow about and get everywhere. A very nice touch.

(+) Overall, a great terrain, but not your best. As noted earlier, it's nice and refreshing to see something that brings back fond memories of the earlier days of terraining.

(-) The contrast between the low-res textures on the trees and the higher-res textures on the rocks used clash a bit too much. It's not terrible, but it does draw away from the feel of it, as my eyes are drawn to the mismatch.

With all of that being said, I feel that Keiji's terrain was better executed. It has great synergy between the different objects used, and the environment is spot on. Make a few changes to those clouds and the sky, and this terrain will really shine. (Pun 100% intended).

Great job to both of you, it was great to watch.

Level 36
I'm really flattered guys :)

The sky. I've seen my fair share of sunrises and sunsets in the desert, and I can attest to the fact that the sky is usually filled with very vibrant colors. Deep reds and oranges are very common, with purple even being a common possibility. The sky in this, while it would be great in another setting, just doesn't take full advantage of that potential inherent in the setting. This carries over into the clouds as well.

This is a really cool idea, I'll certainly look into it. While the image I based the terrain
on didn't have this sort of immense colour variation, it did have a little more than what
I currently have. I chose to not add too much red to it because I thought that it might
be a little overwhelming with the sunset and otherwise pretty red setting.

Slightly out of place trees

The variety is too jarring, almost to the point where it's not natural at all. The island trees were a bad choice to compliment the fall canopy trees (a good choice)

I don't really agree here, I actually find those trees fitting to each-other, and like Void
commented, I did kind of want to give off the feeling that behind the camera there is
the start of a forest, like the transition from Barrens to Ashenvale.

-

I also want to comment on my enemy's terrain:

As the others said, I'm loving the old-school look, and as fladder said: I'd really appreciate a little more... Variation in the flora, not much, but just a little.
The thing I really feel is lacking about it, is the background. There's no sky, or clouds, or sun, or moon or anything. Sure you probably wanted to give off
a fogged atmosphere, but I really think the terrain would benefit from a good looking background.

The lightning could have used some extra effects too, like I did in the original, I made doodads out of various lightning spell effects to add a little more
than the mere straight line of the standard editor lightning. The light from the cave is a cool idea, I just think it should have been tinted down a little,
as of currently it looks like a big bulb of... Dust and light, not really in a natural and pleasing kind of way.

Overall, though, cool terrain. And a nice interpretation of my work :)

Level 34
Here we are!

Creativity
Void: 12/Keiji: 11
It's a bit tough to gauge creativity when you're recreating something. Neither one really stood out to me as creative, but I thought Void's terrain, while definitely taking the essence and feel from the previous, changed it more for the better.
Detail
Void: 11/Keiji: 13
Both had good detail, but Void lost points due to the lightning bolt. In the original the lightning, while of lower quality perhaps, looked much more like lightning. In Void's it looks like a well of power emanating rather than something striking
Technique
Void: 13/Keiji: 13
Both of you showed why you are considered top terrainers. The command of lighting, composition, and colour are all on display here.
Aesthetics
Void: 12/Keiji: 13
Both are great looking. Void's is a huge improvement from the previous terrain, but I thought I enjoyed Keiji's just slightly more. Great job to you both.
Void: 48
Keiji 50

Edit: Well I didn't want to look at fladds until I was done, but now I see we did our judging very differently. Anyhow, doesn't really matter as we both narrowly chose Keiji. Interesting to see what fladd and I consider to be important in a terrain. I think it also shows the level of ability and that divides us. :p

Congrats Keiji! It was a tough one to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.