• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2012: The Legendary Fight ~ Work Presentation, Discussion, Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59830.png

160036-albums4747-picture59729.png

The signal has been sent to the participants. 29th of July is the day of the event's official initiation! This thread will be used by everyone, contestants and the public alike. You are able to post your Works in Progress, receive feedback, discuss about the entries and anything that is related to the event!

Note: On 29th of July, the Arena will go Frozen!

Good luck to everyone!

Level 33
Will posting resource from this contest to the Spells Section is allowed (during the contest) ?
This has been questioned in Zephyr >.>"

Also, who is the judge anyway ?
Can each partner vote for their own judge ?

I mean 1 (or 2) judge per pair.

Example, me and Marsal has agreed that Jazztastic to be our judge, then it's okay ? (remember, example :D)

Level 12
OMG, Def, McKill, go guys go! You can do it :D

This took so long to get started I forgot all about it...

Level 30
Since I'm no longer competing, I qualify for a judge at Stories/Icons challenges - if my skills at judging those types of contests are questioned, I'll be glad to prove myself.

And I give negative grade to that judge picking to avoid mass bias that would occur. I say, we have a preset of several judges per type of contest that will judge all the entries of that type.

Level 12
If I had the time, I'd offer to judge, but that didn't turn out well for the Short Story contest 5.

Life has a way of backhanding me off a cliff into a burning pit of molten, rusted bear traps in order to prove to me that I am indeed incapable of getting anything done.

Level 18
Unfortunately, due to my health condition, I won't be able to compete and finish the challenge on time.

Therefore, I pronounce Astaroth Zion the winner of our challenge.

That is really sad to hear, I wish for your soon recovery...

I think that I will honor our duel Apheraz Lucent, and show some interesting ideas I had for a TD... (I'll post a WIP at least)
Hope you enjoy it.. :)

Level 25
Current WIP on my terrain thingy.
First terrain ever so kind of hard.
Anyhow the name of it is:
Serenity Lost

Theme of my challenge is: Epic Battle
Create (or recreate) an epic battle.

My actual theme:
Night elfs defending their sanctuary from the invading horde.

A lot of stuff is there atm only to fill in the gaps, need to make more variations on the tiles/trees asap and more things.

Attachments

• WIP01.JPG
    WIP01.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 85
Level 29
this is my WIP

EDIT:
UPDATED:

Name: ???
Description:
Summons 1 of the 5 different elementals at a targeted point. When the 5 elementals gathered together near the targeted point, it kills the 5 elementals and summons a more powerful Demon Elemental which has all the abilities of the 5 elementals.

Elemental Abilities:
Fire Elemental - Permanent Immolation
Ice Elemental - Frost Armor
Rock Elemental - Hurl Boulder
Shadow Elemental - Shadow Rage
Lightning Elemental - Chain Lightning

All elementals has spell immunity and resistant skins.
PROGRESS: 70%

Last edited:
Level 25
@mckill2009

I like the idea of conditional summoning, nice utility spell.
Decent WIP so far :p

Anyhow attached more WIP's. Still have a lot to do, hope you guys like em.
Looking forward to seeing more WIP's from you guys.

Attachments

• WIP03.JPG
    WIP03.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 87
  • WIP04.JPG
    WIP04.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 99
Level 29
Thnx Kingz, yours is nice too although I can't seem to think why there's an orc camp in front of an elf establishments?, to engage in attacks?...

Anyway, here's my spell updated:

Name: ???
Description:
Summons 1 of the 5 different elementals at a targeted point. When the 5 elementals gathered together near the targeted point, it kills the 5 elementals and summons a more powerful Demon Elemental which has all the abilities of the 5 elementals.

Elemental Abilities:
Fire Elemental - Permanent Immolation
Ice Elemental - Frost Armor
Rock Elemental - Hurl Boulder
Shadow Elemental - Shadow Rage
Lightning Elemental - Chain Lightning

All elementals has spell immunity and resistant skins.

Level 27
For the general information of everyone me and Arcisal (after around five VMs regarding the issue had gone unanswered /shakesfist) finally decided that the theme for our story writing would be fables/fairytales.

Progress will hopefully be posted soon.

Level 12
WiP (Just for fun!)

A new layer of greasy sweat coated Azar’s skin each time she tried to wipe it off. Such was the life of the jungle. Humid, hot and an ever-present layer of thick mush comprised of decomposed dead leaves laying there for centuries to rot under the baking heat. The compost itself was not a problem, simply an inconvenience. What was under it though, massive undergrowth and a labyrinth of contorted roots that lay there waiting to catch an unwary foot into an unfortunate event that may be their last. Grotesque vines and shapes which seemed to depict the trees stretching out their massive roots made it as if the trees were alive, and enjoying their little game.

Most that did not live in the jungle found it treacherous. Azar had made it her home. With casual dexterity, navigation through this maze made the trees themselves frustrated at their futile attempts. She mocked them, and the spirits. Who could ever catch her?

Her mother was sitting in the village sqaure alone, beside a large circle of soot and charcoal that stained the area around it. Only the last glows of the firelight could still be seen now, persistent and stubborn in their existence. Azar’s mother gazed into them, hypnotized by the soft but fiery glow that edged the last pieces of coal. Overhead, the night stars hung there for the spirits to tread on, each star part of a greater pattern that spoke one’s fate, of ill or good.

Azar approached her from behind. She tried to make it obvious she was there but to no avail did her mother return from her gaze. Finally, the small tribesgirl tapped the shoulder of her frail mother which did bring her out of her limbo.
“You need not startle me young Azar.” She looked at her with a gentle smile that softened her gnarled face, covered in wrinkles like tree bark after years of the same signature smile. “I had known you were there.” Her snowy white hair hung free over her shoulders, which was never a common sight unless only she and Azar were alone. Despite her age, Mother Alash was still vigorous in her work as the village shaman, another oddity for it was uncommon for women to take a place of position. It was because of this Azar admired her.
“You were gazing into something, like you did yesterday and the day before. Is it something that is troubling you?” Azar said with a voice almost angelic.
“My troubles are none of yours for it would be cruel of me to burden you with them, especially at such a young age.” Mother Alash spoke gently, her smile never breaking.

It was impossible to read her. Her deep eyes that showed no emotion other than compassion and love. Her face looked as if it were made of wood, carved to form the ancient-old creases and grooves that embedded themselves around her features. It did not tarnish her beauty though. It was never a question of Mother Alash’s former beauty that seemed to only fade away slightly while the other village elders completely changed. It was a question though of why she never married.

For a while, the two simple sat there, one trying to read the other and the frail village shaman simply retaining her seated position by the burnt out fire pit while Azar standing there, stubborn and short with her fiery crimson hair the same way as the elder. The two were alone underneath the jungle night, light only by the moon that shone white with stars that adorned the vast expanse. It was believed that the sky was a crown for the great king. Perhaps one day Azar will have a crown like it. Forge it from silver and layer it with gold.

The two continued their gaze, neither of them breaking. Mother Alash’s expression seemed to never wane or waver from patience and acceptance. Azar’s face showed determination and defiance that she knew, at the back of her mind, was futile. The expression slowly changed to shock, and finally, as expected, horror.

Azar finally knelt down beside her. “Your gown!” her voice trembled for a while. Azar tried to reach out to it but quickly kept it to herself. The shaman’s gown was ancient, only for the shaman to wear and to touch. The gown itself was made of colorful bird feathers that showed an impressive display of colors and markings. The gown was the symbol of the shaman.

But tonight, the gown had been blemished. Streaks of dark crimson added onto the pattern, added not to further beatify but to blaspheme it. Horror and disbelief was evident in Azar’s face now while Mother Alash’s expression still remained as it was before.

This is the into (Obviously). She'll eventually come to tell a tale.

Level 16
Derp derp derp WiP time.

• Lightning Storm Loop Copy
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.20 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in stormgroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set caster = (Picked unit)
          • Custom script: set udg_handle = GetHandleId(udg_caster)
          • Lightning - Destroy (Load 0 of handle in hashtable)
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Current order of caster) Equal to (Order(channel))
              • (Life of caster) Greater than 0.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set boolean = (Load 1 of handle from hashtable)
                • If - Conditions
                  • boolean Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Hashtable - Save False as 1 of handle in hashtable
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
Good lord its so hard to wrap my mind around channeling spells. You don't have to run a timer to check if its done, you just check an order and its all good. No loading hashtable values, its soooo much easier.

Anyways I'll probably be done tonight.

Do I need to include documenation and customizability? How am I being judged?

Level 16
Entry

Jazztastic Presents
Lightning Storm
204466-albums4802-picture60045.jpg

204466-albums4802-picture60046.jpg
204466-albums4802-picture60047.jpg
  • Hashtable
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Hashtable - Create a hashtable
      • Set hashtable = (Last created hashtable)
      • -------- To change the duration edit the value in the Object Editor named "Follow Through Time" --------
      • -------- If TRUE, will burn mana equal to the damage --------
      • Set manaburn = True
      • -------- Sets the damage done per bolt --------
      • Set damage[1] = 35.00
      • Set damage[2] = 55.00
      • Set damage[3] = 75.00
      • -------- The pick range for the random unit --------
      • Set areaofeffect[1] = 1200.00
      • Set areaofeffect[2] = 1400.00
      • Set areaofeffect[3] = 1600.00
      • -------- Ground SFX --------
      • Set unitsfx = Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl
      • -------- The Order ID. This must correspond with the ability ID in the base ability --------
      • Set orderid = channel
  • Lightning Storm Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Lightning Storm
    • Actions
      • -------- Simply primes the loop --------
      • Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to stormgroup
      • Trigger - Turn on Lightning Storm Loop <gen>
  • Lightning Storm Loop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in stormgroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set caster = (Picked unit)
          • Custom script: set udg_handle = GetHandleId(udg_caster)
          • -------- We destroy the lightning here because we want it gone regardless of whether the unit is channeling or not --------
          • -------- If we only destroyed it if it was channeling, a lightning would be left at the end --------
          • Set boolean = (Load 1 of handle from hashtable)
            • If - Conditions
              • boolean Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Hashtable - Save False as 1 of handle in hashtable
              • Lightning - Destroy (Load 0 of handle in hashtable)
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Current order of caster) Equal to (Order(orderid))
                  • (Life of caster) Greater than 0.00
                • Then - Actions
                  • -------- It only strikes every other instance. --------
                  • -------- This way there is a visible strike each time, not just it jumping from one spot to another --------
                  • -------- Setting stuff --------
                  • Set point1 = (Position of caster)
                  • Set level = (Level of Lightning Storm for caster)
                  • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
                  • Set target = (Random unit from (Units within areaofeffect[level] of point1 matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) is Magic Immune) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) belongs to
                  • -------- Simply checks if there is a unit within AoE --------
                    • If - Conditions
                      • target Equal to No unit
                    • Then - Actions
                    • Else - Actions
                      • Set point2 = (Position of target)
                      • -------- Sets the lightning, and sets the sfx --------
                      • Custom script: set udg_light = AddLightningEx("FORK", true, GetUnitX(udg_caster), GetUnitY(udg_caster), GetLocationZ(udg_point1) + 1400, GetUnitX(udg_target), GetUnitY(udg_target), GetLocationZ(udg_point2) + GetUnitFlyHeight(udg_target))
                      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of target using unitsfx
                      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
                      • -------- Damage + manaburn --------
                      • Unit - Cause caster to damage target, dealing damage[level] damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
                        • If - Conditions
                          • manaburn Equal to True
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Unit - Set mana of target to ((Mana of target) - damage[level])
                        • Else - Actions
                      • Hashtable - Save Handle Oflight as 0 of handle in hashtable
                      • Hashtable - Save True as 1 of handle in hashtable
                      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_point2)
                • Else - Actions
                  • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child handle in hashtable
                  • Unit Group - Remove caster from stormgroup
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Number of units in stormgroup) Equal to 0
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                    • Else - Actions
              • Hashtable - Save True as 1 of handle in hashtable
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_point1)
Authors Notes
This is the first channeling spell I've ever made. I looked at a spell by dark_g4andalf for how to trigger channeling,
so I guess a shout-out goes to him. It's hard to capture this spell with a screenshot so you should really look at it in-game.
If you use this credits go to Jazztastic.

Attachments

• THW Legendary Fight Jazz VS Beta.w3x
    65.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 16
@Jazztastic

It's missing some effect on the caster during the channel imo.

I personally don't think it's necessary to make a special effect for the caster. There's already a ton of special effects being made! Plus most heroes only have ~1 spell that channels so it'll use a rarely used animation. Adding one would be super easy, but I just don't feel that it's necessary.

Thanks for the comment though.

Level 25
I guess, was comparing it to starfall, anyhow if you still want to try it out, i suggest trying:
Abilities\Spells\Orc\LightningShield\LightningShieldTarget.mdl

in the caster field of the spell, i found the effect quite fun.

Well that is all i have to share on this submission, nice way of checking whether the spell is still channeling, did you test it if the caster dies during channel?

Edit:

Tho the amount of units has to be considered when talking efficency, and the amount of active instances ofc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.