• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge: Keiji vs ~Void~: Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
The Hive Workshop

Challenge

Challenge Arena Rules:
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.
Challenge Theme:

Subject:
Terraining.

Theme:
Revise: The contestants are to choose one of the opponents terrains
and redo it in their own style, interpret or improve.

Challenger: Keiji

Opponent(s): ~Void~

Challenge Duration: 14 days

Proposed Reputation Award: 10 points

Challenge judging: Suggestion: fladdermasken and Gilles?

Map-specific conditions: UTM4 only

File size: Unlimited

Imports allowed: None, save for the UTM doodads.

Optimization/protection:

Other: Come now, old friend, kick that dying horse of a terraining heart into
action and ride across the fields of terraining pride with me one last time ;)

Level 36
Well, damn.

Between judging the current TC and participating in this contest, I can't say I've got so
very much creative energy to spare, currently. To my defence, it was months since I
posted this challenge.

But, hey, I've always been one for handling stress, whenever someone approves this
and Gilles agrees to be the second judge I'm ready.

Actually, since we have no current... Obvious arena moderators, I might as well
approve it myself. That only leaves Gilles to deal with, whether he'd like to be a
judge or not. I'll PM him.

Last edited:
Level 36
Well, damn.

Between judging the current TC and participating in this contest, I can't say I've got so
very much creative energy to spare, currently. To my defence, it was months since I
posted this challenge.

But, hey, I've always been one for handling stress, whenever someone approves this
and Gilles agrees to be the second judge I'm ready.

Actually, since we have no current... Obvious arena moderators, I might as well
approve it myself. That only leaves Gilles to deal with, whether he'd like to be a
judge or not. I'll PM him.

We can always do it later. I have final exams... so January would be better for me anyway!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm watching this.

klipsch-face-two.jpg

Last edited:
Level 36
Not bad. Is that a Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo I spy? I had one of those for a while, probably the best heatsink I've used personally. It served me well when I had it.

What are the rest of the specs on it? I'm assuming you're building it because your laptop took a dump?

Yes! Thing was a bloody pain in the ass to install but it's silent and I've had no heat issues so far (haven't tried overclocking yet though)

i5 4690K, MSi Z97-G45 mobo, GTX 770, 256gb ssd boot drive & 1tb hdd

I don't have too many new games, but I'm running Skyrim on ultra-high with 2048x2048 textures at 1080p with max FPS :D

Not to mention this is the only computer I've been on where creating a new object in the UTM takes less than a year. It still takes about 3-5 seconds though which blows my mind

Level 15
Yes! Thing was a bloody pain in the ass to install but it's silent and I've had no heat issues so far (haven't tried overclocking yet though)

i5 4690K, MSi Z97-G45 mobo, GTX 770, 256gb ssd boot drive & 1tb hdd

I don't have too many new games, but I'm running Skyrim on ultra-high with 2048x2048 textures at 1080p with max FPS :D

Not to mention this is the only computer I've been on where creating a new object in the UTM takes less than a year. It still takes about 3-5 seconds though which blows my mind

Given the CPU you're using, that Hyper 212 should be able to handle a pretty sizable overclock up into the 4ghz range without experiencing any heating issues. Though, I would recommend sliding an extra fan on if you can get your hands on one. (If you weren't across the states, I would just give you one, since I have one sitting in my office closet that still has the little attachment slides from my Hyper 212)

Is Warcraft 3/UTM installed on your SSD? If so, that is still pretty insane that it takes that long. Just goes to show how slow/inefficient the WE is. I boot up into windows in a matter of seconds on my SSD, something like creating an object in the WE shouldn't take that long, haha.

Level 36
WIP #1.

Lightning: It's been a while since October 2009 (that's about 125 Warcraft years by the day/night cycle), and the shaman's still there casting that lightning spell. Meanwhile, global warming has turned the forest even more barren... lol

Is Warcraft 3/UTM installed on your SSD? If so, that is still pretty insane that it takes that long. Just goes to show how slow/inefficient the WE is. I boot up into windows in a matter of seconds on my SSD, something like creating an object in the WE shouldn't take that long, haha.

Nah, it'd probably be a bit faster if it were, but I think it's a software thing. WorldEdit just wasn't built to load that much stuff

Attachments

• lightning2.png
    lightning2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 253
Level 36
While I can already feel it.

-

Anyway, here's my final WIP and probably final entry, if anything it's small details I'll be
tweaking, such as you would probably never notice.

This version reminds me of the border between Ashenvale and the Barrens in WoW. Cool take on it! And great job with the clouds, very realistic.

Edit: it's been 16 days now, Keiji you ready for a poll? I'm good to go

Last edited:
Oh yes!

Amazing use of HQ models for the foreground making it look like a really smooth frame for the central focus of the terrain. Although overall leaving anything that could have been potentially blurry a lesser focus of the piece while still making them a worthy part that still pulls off a nice look.

I like how you've made the terrain central point very vast with the beautiful sun rise shining through the center giving it that real fresh mood.

The land is made of barrens I guess, so there shouldn't be any need for me to say it kinda feels like an empy space that could use a lot of potential.

A real showcase to how well you've developed your terraining skills and his old terrain lolz.
Grats.

I remember that peice of ~void~s some time ago hmmhm.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Both entries are looking awesome. I don't know if I should be helping you as a judge. But whatever, it's just a fun challenge anyways, and this likely won't factor into the scoring anyways so my position isn't of much consequence.
Oh, right, here's my final
A touch of yellow/orange mixed in with the clouds would really help this AFAIC. Just enough to match the ground and foliage.

Near final version
A bit of tree variation would help lift it a bit.

Level 36
A touch of yellow/orange mixed in with the clouds would really help this AFAIC. Just enough to match the ground and foliage.

That's certainly not a stupid suggestion, I'll consider it for when we're finished here.
If Void feels like touching up a bit before delivering his final, that's good by me.

Either way, I'm ready for the judgements!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
~Void~
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2628936-post33.html

(+) Awesome choice. It's been some time since I saw anyone use the editor native lightning model, that's a really bold move that actually played out really well. The build up of the impact is a cool trick too. Albeit it could probably look more natural if the rim wasn't so circular and opaque. Fog/depth transition is textbook ~Void~, mountain tops are well shaped and tile brushwork is at top level execution. Using the cloudfx doodads as sand-filled gusts of wind really sells the scene and gives it character. One of those tricks that lets people know you know what you're doing and have been doing it for a while. Your experience seeps through the cracks here and there, really, which is awesome for an old vet that retired so long ago. It's in your fingers I guess.

(-) I was really hoping to see better tree variation, taking into mind the rich tree selection in UTM 4.0. The barrens canopy variation is nice, fair enough, but some other compliments would've been a nice touch. This is also a bit weak on the environment side, e.g. shrubbery, bushes etc. Doing barren terrains usually require some more love and thought than forest/grass/whatever scenes because you have to find the fine line between overgrown and no growth at all by placing them very meticulously. It's alright in the foreground but the background is clean shaven like a baby butt. Which is a nice segue to my next point: the clouds. While the scene doesn't have much need for vivid sky colors, it could at least be a little more personal.

Creativity 7/10
Details 6/10
Technique 8/10
Aesthetics 8/10

Keiji
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2630683-post43.html

(+) The key to the dawn terrain is the sun. And you nailed it. A really nice combo of reinventing the idea but keeping the scene's integrity intact. Bravo. Wroking my way back from there, the background is done well all the way from mountains to tilework. Remarkably similar backgrounds between the two entries. Also a bold move to use the red outland tiles. Good call. Center foreground is well cut out and nicely done, kind of fits your signature style. It's also nice that you chose a wider range of flora, even though the scene is barren. It actually helps sell the barren vibe more than leaving it bush-strapped. Probably because everything else looks more barren in comparison, and not in a boring way. And the trusty old lantern, as always. Kind of reeling that you didn't throw a cogwheel in there too while you were at it.

(-) As said, the clouds, while a nice touch, could really use some colors that match the rest of the scene. The sky looks a bit mismatched with the ground hue. There's also the typical abruptness of how they end, leaving the rest of the sky clean. Those clouds are bitches like that. While the key to this scene is the lighting, a close second is the trees in the foreground. This you didn't do as well as the sun, I'm afraid. The variety is too jarring, almost to the point where it's not natural at all. The island trees were a bad choice to compliment the fall canopy trees (a good choice), and the beeches don't do much for it at all. The scene gives off the feeling that the trees should suffer from some degree of drought, so a dead tree would have fit it way better AFAIC.

Creativity 8/10
Details 7/10
Technique 7/10
Aesthetics 8/10

My winner, by a slim margin, is Keiji. Sorry ~Void~, still awesome to see you back at it. Let's see if we hear from Gilles too so he can settle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.