• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

chat doesnt work in modern microsoft browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
as it requires javascript but that is no longer supported in internet explorer i cant use the chat in modern versions of internet explorer.(internet explorer is my primary browser.)

You are using an extremely old version of Internet Explorer. It is full of security holes. If anybody is actually hacking you, its because of your ancient browser.

Level 22
But still, having another browser wouldn't hurt, even if the said browser isn't from stone age.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am reviving this topic to try and raise attention that the chat still does not work for IE11, despite it being reported ages ago. Please ignore the above nonsense and focus on this critical on-going issue.

Having dredged through a debugger I noticed a rather silly mistake which most certainly is causing most of the problems.

The chat web page is set to IE7 document mode (IE=7.0000) yet the chat.js script uses "EventTarget.addEventListener" which was not supported prior to IE Version 9. The obvious result is that IE11 runs it in IE7 compatibility mode and the script crashes at that point as there is no such function.

Since the script depends heavily on calling that method, backwards compatibility for IE7 has been trashed anyway. Also since XP is no longer supported and versions below IE11 are mostly found on XP systems one might as well drop full support for IE7 and raise it straight to IE11 (people using XP will just have to use Fire Fox, Chrome or another browser which supports it). One could even go as far as targeting the latest IE version with "IE=Edge" however that is not too recommended as you cannot guarantee that all methods will keep being supported.

After changing the document mode support to IE11 on a local copy the chat loaded considerably further. The only thing that stopped it from working then was some "access denied" open error which is probably because I was running the script locally and not from the web site meaning that the environment was different.

To recap the above. Ralle (or whoever maintains the chat code), you need to raise the IE document mode on the chat web page from 7 to at least 9 (newer is probably better with 11 or Edge being the lattest).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
you can set the mode in the devtools.
The option appears to be greyed out at random times during debugging which is why I missed it. However after changing it to 11 and reloading the page all worked. I have finally been able to enter chat again after over a year.

I can confirm that the bug is purely because the page is listed as "IE7" yet needs at least "IE9" for the methods used (or maybe even higher as I ran it at IE11 level).

You're using a primitive version of IE. Mister.
Please do not troll bug report forum.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I can confirm that it is now fixed with IE=Edge being used. As a note to anyone reading this on an XP system, you need to use a non IE browser to run the chat since only Windows Vista and newer have updated versions of IE. An error to such people should possibly be displayed but that is non-critical and probably not worth the effort.

This thread can be marked as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.