• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #11 ~ The Poll

Which is your favorite entry? (Comment is appreciated)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums7436-picture85973.png

160036-albums4747-picture85922.png

160036-albums4747-picture85921.png

160036-albums7436-picture85974.png

Entries
  • AKA.GywGod133 - Dark Circle
  • Bannar - Be My Angel
  • CakeMaster - Holy Deliverance
  • Dat-C3 - Angry Birds
  • GunSlinger21 - Malice
  • Kyrbi0 - Death Rattle
  • rulerofiron99 - Rigorous March
  • SallyAnna - Savior's Aura
  • Tank-Commander - Soul Tear
  • Zeatherann - Aspect of Lightning

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you disqualified, banned from future contests and neg-repped, depending on the severity of your case. This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you.

Additionally, voting for your self is not encouraged, because the vote will not be counted anyway.

Entries that are valid on the poll doesn't equal immunity; either cheating the poll or being evaluated by the judge that your entry is violating the rules of the contest or the site's in general, automatically puts your entry at risk.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I will vote Banana bcs he gave me rep+ and requested me to vote him. I have no choice.

Just kidding. His entry is the best around here. Has brilliant concept. Spell is quite funny. Performance is good and flawless. Visual effect is simple and not exaggerated (aura ability should be like that in my opinion). I have no doubt on his coding ability, although I believe there are possibly some minor mistakes there. Not only coolest entry here, but also one of the best spell I have ever see. :)

Enjoy my vote

I will vote Banana bcs he gave me rep+ and requested me to vote him. I have no choice.

Just kidding. His entry is the best around here. Has brilliant concept. Spell is quite funny. Performance is good and flawless. Visual effect is simple and not exaggerated (aura ability should be like that in my opinion). I have no doubt on his coding ability, although I believe there are possibly some minor mistakes there. Not only coolest entry here, but also one of the best spell I have ever see. :)

Enjoy my vote

Seems he had the same idea as me, our entries are so similar its scary. . . Only difference is a few things, I have to agree Bannar did quite a nice job.

Just wondering though, you did try the others right? =)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Seems he had the same idea as me, our entries are so similar its scary. . . Only difference is a few things, I have to agree Bannar did quite a nice job.

Just wondering though, you did try the others right? =)
Yes, I did.

I choose him because you didn't give me rep+ :/

To be honest, your visual effect is not really nice: the way the birds fall upon unit seems quite weird. I thought (before I opened it) the birds would have parabola trajectory, which in fact they don't. Well, I just simply like Banana's entry more than yours. But yours is also one better entry among the others here :) Cheers..

Yes, I did.

I choose him because you didn't give me rep+ :/

To be honest, your visual effect is not really nice: the way the birds fall upon unit seems quite weird. I thought (before I opened it) the birds would have parabola trajectory, which in fact they don't. Well, I just simply like Banana's entry more than yours. But yours is also one better entry among the others here :) Cheers..

I made my entry in mind with how birds fly, I couldn't fix how they flew down upon units while they're moving though... So I decided to go with that and if you want to dodge the birds you have to keep moving your unit. Pretty sure that's how angry birds work, I don't know what you mean for parabola trajectory though.

Thanks as well, I wasn't trying to get you to change your mind either. Was just curious.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Thanks guys <3 I'll provide my personal review soon.

Idea came from Rowan the wise and the funny mountain king hero from that campaign as well as twisted Uther.
It's an alternative human campaign for war3.

Basically: Uther lost his mind and wanted to help elves by killing villiagers - elves aid him in that quest by providing chicken-amulet. You get the point..

Rowan is the paladin who took charge of Lordaerons forces after Uther gone crazy and Arthas betrayed humans (he did this in 3rd mission lol).

The mountain king is the funniest character I've met throughout all of custom war3 campaigns available here on hive.

Thats where the idea came from - let's twist Rowan's mind too! Since he is a Palladin, I've chosen the Resurection spell as a base and then moved on. Spell isn't flawless - good eye will catch the mistakes in a minute - I had little time to check the spell, thats why :)

Level 7
First of all, I liked kyrbi0's- Death rattle. Looked very subtle yet very potent. Browsing more, I liked the idea of ruleofiron's Rigorous march. Really good idea. I think it can be refined and has a really high potential in RPG maps. Then I liked, tankcommanders's Soul tear. Looked really good. Lastly, Zeatherann's aspect of lightning, but for me it looks a little raw, but warcraftish (reminded of finger of lightning).

EDIT: I can only give vote to 1 aura. The aura that impressed me in 1st look by its subtlety, death rattle by kyrbi0. Vote and Rep.

I think SallyAnna's is the most common and simple entry yet most useful therefore why that entry got my vote. Following the default style of WC3 aura's. =) Good job SallyAnna, it was hard to decide which one to vote for. I kept looking at my entry, just kidding. I was stuck between Tank's and Zeatherann's as well Bannar's then yours.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
First of all, I liked kyrbi0's- Death rattle. Looked very subtle yet very potent. Browsing more, I liked the idea of ruleofiron's Rigorous march. Really good idea. I think it can be refined and has a really high potential in RPG maps. Then I liked, tankcommanders's Soul tear. Looked really good. Lastly, Zeatherann's aspect of lightning, but for me it looks a little raw, but warcraftish (reminded of finger of lightning).

EDIT: I can only give vote to 1 aura. The aura that impressed me in 1st look by its subtlety, death rattle by kyrbi0. Vote and Rep.
<3

Someone got it! : )

I really don't get why "social reasons" would be the factor you seem to be most important to determining results - and frankly if it was I don't see how that'd help me at all and similarly I don't see how social implications would harm your own chances, coding is expressly the determining factor along with creativity, as for vJASS/JASS/GUI differences, if you felt the results are showing descrimination, you're well within your rights to file complaints - as this is another thing that is expressly disallowed

I really don't get why "social reasons" would be the factor you seem to be most important to determining results - and frankly if it was I don't see how that'd help me at all and similarly I don't see how social implications would harm your own chances, coding is expressly the determining factor along with creativity, as for vJASS/JASS/GUI differences, if you felt the results are showing descrimination, you're well within your rights to file complaints - as this is another thing that is expressly disallowed

By being more known, people will rather vote for you and not bother with the unknowns. It's a known fact for almost everything and definitely this site.

By being more known, people will rather vote for you and not bother with the unknowns. It's a known fact for almost everything and definitely this site.

by that rate then particularly these days, cakemaster would be far in the lead (followed by spinnaker) though I was talking about judging citeria largely - popular vote more or less settles stalemate scenarios and not much else

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
by that rate then particularly these days, cakemaster would be far in the lead (followed by spinnaker) though I was talking about judging citeria largely - popular vote more or less settles stalemate scenarios and not much else
What you describe is the (unfortunately un-real & plausibly un-attainable) ideal; that people would vote according to the Criteria indicated in the Contest.

In reality, people have a strong tendency (especially at the Hive) to 'vote with their eyes', as well as with the trends of popularity and veterancy. Take a look at two of the latest Techtree Contests (#5, and #6; both times a user DOMINATED in the poll for but didn't even place in the Top 3... The question there is not "why not", but rather "how come the poll was so lopsided, so ridiculously biased towards him"? And while I'm sure Wazz did a great job both times (wouldn't know, haven't tested), I doubt everyone else did that poorly. :<

(Similar but different; looking at the last Hero Contest, you see a pretty good vote spread; but most of the (unique) votes end up going towards the flashy, exciting AoS-style heroes.)

~~~

Anyway, the issue is, people don't tend to vote based on merit alone. One of the biggest issues is that rather, they vote based on either how cool or exciting the entry is, or how well-known/respected/popular/talented the entrant seems to be.

Part of the solution, I & others feel, is to lower the percentage of points the Poll can contribute, 'weakening' it's effect on the proceedings, and putting a higher percentage into the Judging. Another is to really force people to be accountable for their Votes; not just accepting any & all votes, but requiring people to (at a minimum (and it's not that hard)) Post when they Vote explaining their Votes. I would even go so far as to delete/not count Votes without a Post; arguably without a decent post (i.e. "I voted X because I like it" would be insufficient), as they have done at Wc3C.

Anyway, just some of the issues. Doing "anonymous" entries is also a decent idea (though the whole "WIP" thing makes that null & void to anyone paying any attention during the Contest...).

I can't help but feel that I've been misinterpretted here - I wasn't referencing to people voting based on judging criteria, rather I was stating that the people's votes lack much sway (except to settle positions involving entries with equal judges marks and possibly a few places if their votes are particularly overwhelming), and thus a popularity contest isn't going to decide the winner, yes lowering the poll's importance would lower the effect, but the effect is already minimal except in the cases of those overwhelmingly one-sided pollings, perhaps my position would be more easily clarified by stating:
when I said "Judging criteria" I meant as in marks given to users /by the judges/ not the public - moreover, by extension all my remarks have been about how the judges have impact that heavily outweighs the public, and thus how can a public poll be the deciding factor

Edit: regardless - all these assertions about how this is a "contest for second place" or that I've already won I find if anything, uncomfortable. Despite my best efforts to state that I do not think that is the case, nor do I see why it would be; this assertion seems to keep reappearing, as a result of this it raises potential issues of public unrest (e.g. if I did win, then people could feel reaffirmed in this belief and thus be upset or annoyed) which in turn has certain implications. I really don't understand why people can't just play a straight contest as it were - heck I wouldn't call what my position is at this time as a "lead" on public poll anyway, only 1 vote difference, so why is this such an issue?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hm, I see what you're saying. My bad.

I guess my point is, then, that even though the Poll's effect has been weakened, I'd like to see parameters put into place that make the Poll more meaningful; not in terms of raw points, but in terms of feedback & community involvement. Having people give reasons & explain their feelings (heck, let's start with "testing all the options") brings about accountability & responsibility; both eminently important traits. The result would enrich both the Voter & the "Votee".

Level 33
It's a shame our names are attached to the entries, if they weren't it'd be better.
Upvoted.

Please do this in the next following contest, and should reveal them once the results are out.

But... you have to show your WiP, so... people can guess which spell is yours in the end...

Really no solution to this, lulz.

Why not experiment this: Contestants are given points solely from judge, not from community or polling votes.

Even you say judges are biased, but they know how to check proper coding compared to random community just saying "hay OMFG diz spelz lukzzz sooo cool" when the spell functionality is only to deal damage in an area.

Level 33
then it'd fall down to what form they made it in (GUI/JASS/vJASS/etc)...
I do not agree with this one bit.
I don't want to be seen as a boastful guy or anything, just take a look at this contest series: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/zephyr-contest-9-assassination-211654/

I won it in the first place, by using GUI, there are others who made their spells using vJASS but still does not guarantee them the first place.
Note that I'm using these purely for example purposes, nothing more, please don't flame me for this.

Therefore, using the excuse in what form did the spell takes cannot be tolerated.

If this comes to a criteria point (like anyone who use vJASS gets extra 5 marks because efficiency and sh**), the moderator should create a contest divided by GUI Spell Contest and vJASS Spell Contest but I doubt this would happen.

I don't want to be seen as a boastful guy or anything, just take a look at this contest series: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/zephyr-contest-9-assassination-211654/

I won it in the first place, by using GUI, there are others who made their spells using vJASS but still does not guarantee them the first place.
Note that I'm using these purely for example purposes, nothing more, please don't flame me for this.

Therefore, using the excuse in what form did the spell takes cannot be tolerated.

If this comes to a criteria point (like anyone who use vJASS gets extra 5 marks because efficiency and sh**), the moderator should create a contest divided by GUI Spell Contest and vJASS Spell Contest but I doubt this would happen.

Efficiency is calculated based on what you are doing with the language you are using. It does not indirectly negotiate a comparison between vJass and GUI.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

While I, as a user of GUI & champion of freedom & peppered steaks and all that, cry with you for "equality" (in terms of submissions using GUI/vJass/whatever and being judged equivalently), I must admit that unless it's really well-done, GUI is generally inferior to (v)JASS. It's just easier to make mistakes and harder to correct them. (v)Jass gives all sorts of functionalities & utilities for cleaning up & being efficient.

Now of course, I agree we shouldn't be judged on whether we used one or the other (again, 'equality'), but if I was a judge & it came down to a pretty even match between a (v)Jass spell & a GUI spell (i.e. roughly equivalent in points, based on pre-determined fair Criteria)... I might just lean towards the (v)Jass one, simply because it's bound to be cleaner/more useful/etc.
(Unless I wanna give points to the GUI-guy for working harder, lol).

I'm not a FO'SERIOUS Coder, so some of what I say might not make sense or be legitimate. Just super sayin'. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.