• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #23 - Dark Entities/Revenants

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
3.png

f6cb5612dfce6c05a865b3c7a1d4b959.jpg

Dark Entities/Revenants
Contestants are to create a creature of darkness, be it a void walker, shadow elemental, skeleton, risen dead, revenant or a necromancer, as long as it is obviously shadowy and dark.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any texture does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Your chosen unit must be an existing WCIII model and you may not edit the model in any way.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
  • Preferably the submitted skin should be 100% freehand(No CnP's or recolors allowed).

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on September 26th 2015, 18:00 GMT and conclude on October 31st 2015, 18:00 GMT November 23rd 2015, 23:00, GMT

Assigned moderator: Sin'dorei300

Last edited:
Level 25
So, lemme just get this straight. Despite not winning the pole, this theme was chosen because you believe more potential participants would be interested in this? Based on what? The people who voted for this theme? I see just as many past skin-creators who voted for Egyptian, and either way, that's not taking new participants into consideration. Or was it based on the handful who wrote in the poll thread that this was the theme they wanted to participate in? They don't speak for everyone, you know.

I'm all up for deciding the theme based on the participants' opinion. They are, after all, the ones who will be creating the skins, but it should be done right. Right now you're just basing a general opinion on that of a vocal few. There's no telling is this is really the most satisfactory outcome, for the most people.

IF this is the theme we stick with, I'd personally still join, as this was one of the themes I'd voted for... but I'd join in protest!

All things considered, with how competitions in the hive have been little more than popularity contests, with the current head-troll getting a majority of the votes simply by virtue of being everyones favorite scumbag, I'd say that taking only recognized texturers' votes into consideration is the best choice.

In other words, tough luck.
_52272673_crying-baby.gif
It's alright Direfury. There's no need to attack chr2 for having a different view on it.

So, lemme just get this straight. Despite not winning the pole, this theme was chosen because you believe more potential participants would be interested in this?
IF this is the theme we stick with, I'd personally still join, as this was one of the themes I'd voted for... but I'd join in protest!

Yes, it was my own decision.

It's fine, I'll take full responsibility if something happens or if the staff deems this illegal.

[Solved]

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Didn't the Egyptian theme win the poll? How come it's dark entities now?

There has been a new voting in the poll thread, for the contestants only, so the ones who actually wanted to participate would decide instead of the public.
It wouldn't have made sense to choose a theme no contestant wants to create something in and most of the people voting for Egypt haven't been participants, it appears. So Dark Entities/Revenants won that one.

Level 21
What a shamefully shameful shame... :sad:
Egypt could've been a great theme, so sad contestants felt aversity towards it. Anyway, dark entities sounds like a fantastic theme too (my nickname is Shadow Fury, no need to explain why I like the theme XD).
Good luck to all contestants!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hmm, still thinking about what skin to take.. well, we have some time before it starts, I guess.

Heinvers said:
Your chosen unit must be an existing WCIII model
Does this include custom models from Hive/ other sites ?

Heinvers said:
The submitted skin must be 100% freehand
What is your detailed definition of freehand ?
I ask since I myself consider freehand like painting with a brush and colours on a screen, whereas digital tools allow you to use tons of customized 'brushes' for all purposes, scripts to apply highlights and shadows, even shading is possible only using a script.
Where does freehand start and what is its limit ? Does freehand mean like using the good, old brush and painting with layers ? No scripts, no custom brushes, no filters, (...) ?

Where does freehand start and what is its limit ? Does freehand mean like using the good, old brush and painting with layers ? No scripts, no custom brushes, no filters, (...) ?

I am literally turning my head over, 360 all day.

I said existing model, that implies that it is already in the game's mpq archives and it's not a custom model that you import in WE(How simple can that be? I've explained it now).
Freehand is what freehand means. Work/texture made by you using brushes(yes, you can use custom brushes if you want) as opposed to filters, recoloring and whatnot(no copy-pasta material included).
What scripts do you mean? This is a TEXTURING contest(scripts are something else).

*sips on teas and thinks what could be the next move*

[Solved]

Last edited:
Hmm, still thinking about what skin to take.. well, we have some time before it starts, I guess.

What is your detailed definition of freehand ?
I ask since I myself consider freehand like painting with a brush and colours on a screen, whereas digital tools allow you to use tons of customized 'brushes' for all purposes, scripts to apply highlights and shadows, even shading is possible only using a script.
"Freehand is the brush strokes you create with brush or pen tool. One brushstroke is the same on the computer as it is in real life. So, with free hand.
Tracing an image is not considered freehand, since your hand is now guided by the lines in the photo.
Things that are not considered freehand, are tools to create shapes (circles, squares, triangles, ect.), filters, and so on."
In other words:
"Freehand drawing is a form, which is done only by means of hand and eye coordination. In simple terms, this type of drawing is done by a person without use of any tools like rulers, protractor, etc., or by using tracing or any other such techniques."

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

"Freehand is the brush strokes you create with brush or pen tool. One brushstroke is the same on the computer as it is in real life. So, with free hand.
Tracing an image is not considered freehand, since your hand is now guided by the lines in the photo.
Things that are not considered freehand, are tools to create shapes (circles, squares, triangles, ect.), filters, and so on."
In other words:
"Freehand drawing is a form, which is done only by means of hand and eye coordination. In simple terms, this type of drawing is done by a person without use of any tools like rulers, protractor, etc., or by using tracing or any other such techniques."

Thank you, Sin'dorei300!

I agree with the current theme.

Before we can have this contest approved/dealt with, the staff would like to have all participants agreeing on the current theme(not just a bunch).
This is to avoid any inconsistencies and possible dramas.
Hey, not all, but i want to see a consensus and a positive atmosphere, in order to avoid any problems(regarding the chosen theme)after.

Sure, I went a bit overboard there(like a ton).

The submitted skin must be 100% freehand
@Ardenian, that was put there just in case somebody gets smart and tries to submit half assed recolors and CnP's under the pretense that the rules were vague(and other stupendous excuses).
In this case they'd have no excuse for submitting such abominations.

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

WIP

make a texture for arthas

Attachments

• Arthas.jpg
    Arthas.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg