• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #18 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

1goevm.jpg

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
8.png

results.png

UI
Contestants were to create a User Interface skin. Contestants may use any race as a base.

contest%20judging.png

Pyramidhe@d
Shadow and Highlight - 17/25
I miss some deep shadows and strong highlights, but beyond that, the shading is decent and suitable. The light-source is somewhat inconsistent, I can't be sure if it's above the UI as a whole or if it's supposed to be the playing area itself. Generally a bit flat.

Creativity and Usefulness - 22/25
A tech UI is definitely useful. I love how you've made almost every single part look useful for something more than the standard command buttons - really is a shame it wouldn't be possible to make the red lamp blink on encounters, or something similar.

Texture Quality - 21/25
Great overal quality, nothing blurry. I would've loved to see more texture in the metal, it's a bit too solid and plastic-like.

Look and Feel - 1/5
Obviously, it doesn't fit WC3 lore, and as such does not resemble the WC3 style either. The three-dimensional feel is there, though.

Wrap and Functionality - 6/20
The black background (rather than transparency) most WC3 icons, small and large, use screams against the background of the resource boxes as well as the command box (passive abilities, for instance, look horrible).

Total: 67/100 points

Kwaliti
Shadow and Highlight - 20/25
Appropriate shading with a central light-source. The two blue orbs at either side of the unit information box seem to be flipped, simply swap the two and it'll look consistent. Your shading provides good depth.

Creativity and Usefulness - 14/25
We already have an undead UI and a winter-themed UI both, but I still think your concept adds something to the both of them. There's no particularly creative solutions, but there seems to be enough going on to satisfy most players.

Texture Quality - 20/25
Great quality on this, no prominent flaws and nothing seems to be blurry. However, I feel that the roughness of rock is missing and it leaves the parts made of rock appear slightly flat and unfinished.

Look and Feel - 4/5
The style is quite similar to that of the standard WC3 UIs and fits in as such. However, the three-dimensional feeling is missing. The light source being central serves to direct the player to the playing area, but the time indicator is slightly distracting.

Wrap and Functionality - 9/20
The inventory background works surprisingly well. On the other hand, the command box background does not. Passive abilities look awkward against the frosty background.

Total: 67/100 points

67chrome
Shadow and Highlight - 18/25
The shading is for the most part appropriate, but because of the subtle lighting cast by the crystals, it's hard to measure depth. Your UI therefore ends up looking somewhat flat.

Creativity and Usefulness - 18/25
I haven't seen many UIs that put the player in the cave, and you do it well. Beyond the concept, however, there's not really a whole lot going on. There are crystals all over with the occasional rock. There seems to be remnants of a stone structure next to the minimap and a staircase in the inventory area.
All in all, it's a fairly useful UI that falls short on eye-candy.

Texture Quality - 14/25
Most of the crystals are crips clear and I don't see any obvious flaws. However, there are a few crystals that appear blurry. I think you might've tried to create depth that way, but I my impression is that it doesn't work that well, perhaps you could've played more around with sizes for that purpose.
The crystals in the far (inside the unit information, for instance) appear a bit too random and rushed. I realize, however, that this helps keep the information clear.

Look and Feel - 2/5
Beyond the purple colour of the crystals, the UI fits a typical cave in WC3 well. As far as UIs in WC3 go, they are appear deeper, more three-dimensional and directs the player's attention to the centre of the screen. I feel your UI is lacking that and therefore doesn't suit WC3 as much as it could.

Wrap and Functionality - 11/20
Works out nicely for the most part, but there are a few glitches with passive icons in the command box.

Total: 63/100 points

Tr!KzZ
Shadow and Highlight - 13/25
The shading itself is neatly done, but it's a bit too low on contrast. I'd love to see some more highlights than the ones around the red dragon's fire breath.

Creativity and Usefulness - 17/25
I love the dragons and I've never seen anybody do that before. It really brings some life to your UI. Unfortunately, everything else is grey stones apart from the symbol in the inventory. I like the claws on the time indicator, but they seem to come out of just rock and that's not good enough for me. I wish you had taken the time to make a more interesting inventory cover as well as to find a way to add trims between the icons in the inventory and command box.

Texture Quality - 11/25
The dragons are, once again, lovely, but other than that, there's nothing much to be impressed about. The rocks serve their purpose, but I think you could've done more to make them more interesting.

Look and Feel - 1/5
The rocks don't look like rocks do in WC3, nor does the lore include long chinese dragons. All-in-all, it doesn't suit the game. It isn't a totally different theme, though.

Wrap and Functionality - 17/20
Sad to see the blue dragon is cut off by the minimap, it really ends up looking rather awkward. The minimap itself also have trouble fitting in considering it's square and the borders are rough rocks. The original WC3 icons fit in well, though.

Total: 59/100 points

Altogether, fantastic. I love the detail and I love the idea. A few things that i think would be a good idea would be to fix up a few of the borders. They lack a great deal of, fanciness, and it kind of looks like it just got cut off. This is especially an eyesore on the top borders. I might suggest (if you are looking for improvement) to use the yellow metal that you have on some parts of the UI and apply that to the borders along the top, bottom and around the portrait. I think it would make for a very good looking turnout. Your detail knows no bounds. I’m baffled at the detail and it just looks absolutely fantastic. The only real wrap problems i see; and they are quite minimal, is the inventory title box; which i think could be lowered just a tad to fit in the "Inventory" a bit more nicely, the borders; of which i just explained, and possibly the resource icons. The black squares around the icons aren’t working for the look of the UI at the top there. Part of this challenge was to apply skills so as to make them work with your skin. But, as I had said. Very good looking and quite the skin. Just a few tune-ups and it can be much better. Very Nice work.

Shading & Highlights: 4.8/5
Creativity: 3.8/5
Texture Quality: 5/5
Look & Feel: 0.6/1
Wrap & Functionality: 3.2/4

Total: 17.4/20

87/100

It was nice to see you come out in the midst of all these intimidating artists an present yourself with this UI. I commend you greatly for that. Alright, to start, very good idea. You applied all aspects of shading and highlights as they needed to be and in turn, it presented a great level of detail towards the overall design. Your ideas were creative. Especially the design behind time indicator. That was my favorite. In terms of the skin entirely, It looked good, but it was just something about it that didn’t quite fit. It seemed a bit too saturated in colour. Most of the wc3 textures have a low level of saturation making them look a bit more grim and darker. All of it fit together well though. In terms of wrap issues, the time indicator frame is the only issue i really see in the wrap. Just try to watch out for the things beside it, because it does cut them off a bit. Overall, it looks really nice. :)

Shading & Highlights:3.6/5
Creativity: 3/5
Texture Quality: 3.8/5
Look & Feel: 0.4/1
Wrap & Functionality: 2.2/4

Total: 13/20

65/100

Oh, man. What's there to say when there is hardly anything to improve on? The whole wrap was used to the skins advantage (other than that teeny, tiny spot above the portrait where the wrap cuts it off), Shading is near perfect; I only say this because the icicles look somewhat flat compared with the rest of the skin, Detail is phenomenal, and the whole thing fits with wc3 beautifully. Amazing job. I’m without words.

Shading & Highlights:4.8/5
Creativity: 4/5
Texture Quality: 5/5
Look & Feel: 1/1
Wrap & Functionality: 3.6/4

Total: 18.4/20

92/100

I said it before, and I will say it again. Sweet baby Jesus chrome that is sexy. The detail is phenomenal and the shading is fantastic. Aside from it being a small bit blurry, the overall result looks quite fantastic. I especially loved the inventory cover. Absolutely beautiful. You seemed to have a similar problem though as Tr!kzZ did with the time indicator. If it’s not alpha'd properly, it can cut off some points around it. Evidently leading to the top of the skin to look worse than it should. The main issue about this was the black outlines around the stalagmites. They really didn’t work for the UI all too well, and i was a bit disappointed to see that you didn't work them out. It would have probably looked a bit more realistic if you did. But I can definitely see this work in wc3 and I hope that if you upload this, some few changes would be made :) Other than that, awesome work as always chrome :p.

Shading & Highlights:4.8/5
Creativity: 4.6/5
Texture Quality: 3.8/5
Look & Feel: 0.8/1
Wrap & Functionality: 3.4/4

Total: 17.4/20

87/100

((shiiK's score + Dentothor's score) * (75/200)) + ((Votes / Total Votes) * 25) = Total score

Pyramidhe@d - ((67 + 87) * (75/200)) + ((22 / 99) * 25) = 63.3055556
Kwaliti - ((67 + 92) * (75/200)) + ((43 / 99) * 25) = 70.4835859
67chrome - ((63 + 87) * (75/200)) + ((18 / 99) * 25) = 60.7954545
Tr!KzZ - ((59 + 65) * (75/200)) + ((16 / 99) * 25) = 50.540404

texturing%2018%20winners.png

Poll | Contest

Level 23
Well, for me this was one of the closest contests ever, everyone of you did a great job.
Congratz to all of you, especially Kwaliti. But still everyone should see himself as one of the winners of this contest, because it was full of win.

On a second note: I hate myself for not finding the time back then to participate!

Status
Not open for further replies.