• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Poll

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #16?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
6.png

poll.png

Castles/Cathedrals

133407-albums3940-picture91290.jpg

Participants are to depict a scene with its primary focus being a cathedral/castle in any shape or form.

Welcome to the poll for Terraining Contest #16! Please read through the rules before voting!

[highlight]
Note:[/code]
I have made an error in the poll regarding Forsaken's entry. THIS is his actual entry, not the one listed in the poll

Sorry for the inconvenience

[highlight]Sorted by Kwaliti, the poll is now corrected
[/code]

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
contest%20judging.png

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity, e.g. tile brushwork, constructions, lighting, doodad placement etc./15

Aestethics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Level 25
I feel like APproject stuck closest to the theme by making the actual structure the focus, but moderately thick fog or the eerie fog model would have helped fade the roughness of it. The lightning's glow is a bit overpowering, but I guess it gives it sort of a classic villainous feel to an ominous-looking cathedral.

Fladd obviously had the best foreground with that beautiful waterfall cliff and a nice atmospheric background that got a little too faded into the fog.

Heinvers had just the right amount of fog and amazing cliffsides, but the building doesn't look quite right on the edge of the cliff like that. Gravity isn't a very nice guy.

Stryder's is very well-done but could have used more variety in color and maybe some steeples on the roofs to take up more of the sky and give a touch of sharpness to the blocky buildings.

Edge's is nice but seems to lack some sort of oomph.

Forsaken went too heavy on the eerie fog in the background and didn't focus enough on smoothing out the foreground. Also, I see too many trees growing on rock and stone :peek:

I choose you, APprojectachu!

Level 25
APProjectie-I love this one, I see the work you did, it was great. Literally, really. Good Job!

Cheny-Yours are also great, the fog looks amazing but the castle looks too simple and not well made :)

Edgey45-I love how you put the bricks, and the falls look fitting and cool. Nice sunrise too :) I love you so much :D

fladdermasky-The castle looks great on that fog, and It looks semi-realistic :) I love the waterfalls too and it's stunning.

Forsakie-I admire your style for this. The castle fits your name, Forsaken. I'm too sad for this one, but good work and I love so much Forsakie :)

Heinbunny-wow envirnmen n such castl much fall gravity much evil wow so sky much bunny

MasterTrainer-I love how you made the castle. The only problem is, the trees looks it stands out, and some part looks unfinished. Can improve but I still like this one.

median-This one looks natural but the ruin feel is not much appealing to me. The nature is great anyway.

Splub-Look. The castle looks nice and medieval feeling, the problem is the walls of the bridge thingy. I recommend turn off those waves and I like the idea of ships. Pew Pew.

Strydy-Speechless. Just great :) I choose you Strydy!

Level 7
APproject. *my inside voice* But he is so awesome. Others would vote for him. I should vote for other deserving candidates* That is how good he is.

Then came heinvers, who I didn't know was participating. It was excellent. I had never seen Heinvers' work so now I saw *which was good*. I found a little touch could be given at the rocks back but that is not what I am trying to say here.

Edge45. I loved his waterfall from the start. The setting was really out of the box for me.

I hadn't seen Stryderzero's work before. He really surprised me with his WIP. That was when I knew he too is good at this.

Splub made my fav setting of the castle. Everything there was like a dream castle. I would have loved more details on that one and especially the castle. It lacks definitions as I see it.

Forsaken. That is so night-elf like and I also happen to like it. *I never liked night-elf* The fires weer the best for me. They look so cute on the bridge and water. I would live on that setting if I could.

I'd like to vote for APproject. I thought I should vote for someone else but when I saw the poll results as of now *which i always do before voting* I saw APproject behind. *If being too good starts becoming a fault, then I'd like some divine intervention to come and stop me.*

Speaking of APproject, well I think that he was the closest one to fit the theme.

I. I absolutely loved that massive cathedral, full with details to the brink, and that bridge over that chasm (I think that's a chasm) was a nice touch to integrate it into the surroundings. The forest tree choice was good too.
The cliffs are great the least to say, the chasm fog/mist was a great choice to set it there. Good job man, you truly are a wonder among artists around :)

The things I don't like about it are the bright unfitting trees on the left side (I think you could've used better ones there), the lightning's light (it was a bit too bright) and the sky ( you could've used more cloud color variations and some brighter distant stars there to animate it more). Also the fog was a bit too moderate, it could have given the cathedral the much needed smoothness.

II. Stryderzero's entry was something surprising to say the least. While we were going nuts with massive entries he focused more on the down-to-earth entry type :)
I like the overall look of it. The water canals (as they are called in Italian) are giving a relaxing feel to his entry. Lovely cathedral Strydy, the details on it are pretty great. That bridge (the closest one) was fine although it could've been made a bit higher. Good set with that sun and sky man. Those lit torches are integrated so good into the city that it gives me the feeling like as if I'd be right there watching the sunset. Good building composition (not too shabby).

The things that are not that good are the blocky buildings as Tickles said on the previous page (I think that some farther taller buildings could have been made in the background behind those building on the right to give the city a feeling that it continues beyond the visible horizon, also adding more color to the buildings could have helped you big time). Also the sky looks like it cuts the overall entry into two parts( I dunno why but that's how I see it man). The tree choice was not that good (as it concerns me). Great entry nonetheless Strydy :D

III. My choice was fladder, his entry while not closest to the theme was amazing. I absolutely love that backdrop you made man. Though the fog was a bit too thick I think that it showed enough details of the castle to make it emphasize it quite well. Lovely waterfall cliff, and the altar/hill to the left in the foreground was a nice touch on the overly sweet cake (once again decorated with a pretty small detailed waterfall).
The castle was gorgeous, balanced, not too detailed but at the same time pleasing to the eye. The sunset was quite good too (same for the sky) but I think the blue color of the fog was a bit too bright.

Things that I don't like are those background mountains, those don't feel that great to me.

PS. It was an honor to terrain side by side with you guys, cheers :D

Last edited:
Level 31
Thanks, Heinvers. :)

What's up with losing fingers?

Going with my honest opinion here. No offense, just saying what's on my tongue tip. I respect every entry so please don't get me wrong.

There are 3 main candidates to my mind. It would be flad, Heinvers and Strydy. Flad's castle is sunken in fog too much and it lacks size. Heinver's entry doesn't look like castle nor cathedral, he focuced more on the environment rather than theme itself, it is most likely because of lack of time, he had to rush. Strydy lacks color and everything is grey, but damn it looks like a decent cathedral since the aim was not a beautiful surrounding, but building itself. Building complex structure is much harder than developing some rocks and waterfalls with pretty trees. And my entry lacks fog and a better surroundings, I focused too much on the building leaving a big gap in the surrounding environment. Voting for Strydy.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Hey Moderator fladdermasken, you linked the wrong WIP!
THIS! is my final entry! Maybe I've lost votes because of the moderator's failures!
Oh damn

Sorry about that. I can't change the poll myself but I have contacted Ralle and Kwaliti to see if they can change it so it links to your current one

Updated the main post with a note about this too

EDIT: Situation sorted by Kwaliti

Level 34
I can't remember if this was ever discussed, but are judges allowed to vote here?

Regardless: APproject, that is one mother fucker of a cathedral. Seriously, hot damn.

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
My review :3

(This is my first time reviewing stuff. Bash me to death :p

APProject
I like the cathedral, however imo the light inside the building is maybe unrealistic. I love the lightning but not the sky. Also, I love the rocks beside the river.
Good Entry.

Chen
This was good but the only bad thing that ruins the terrain is the overuse of the tall grass. I also hate the angle of the camera.
But it is a good entry I guess.

Edge45
Wow! I love the waterfalls. But it would be better if we can see the whole building.
Nice entry.

fladdermasken
A close one to APProject, but it seems the fog is too thick that it almost hid the building.
Now this one is a really good entry.

Forsaken
I don't quite understand what the building is, It would be better if the angle of the camera was changed a bit.
But still, it is a good entry. Keep it up!

Heinvers
Honestly, the building isn't a cathedral nor castle. But if the building was any of these two, it would be great. I love the camera angle, the cliff, and the idea of where you put the building.
Great Job!

MasterTrainer
Imo there was too much fog. Also the camera does not look right.
Keep improving :3

median
OMG sunken ruins castle! The bridge's arch was a little bit small for a unit to go through. This was a little bit too eco-friendly.
Keep it up!

Splub
It is beautiful, is that a monster guarding the castle? Cool! But it needs more doodads on the ocean imo.
Well, you're good.

Stryderzero
I love the canals, but the gray colored doodads was a little bit too existent on the terrain. But anyway, it still looks good.
:)

OMG, I've just finished a review, for the first time. All the entries were great. But my top five are in order

1. Heinvers
2. fladdermasken
3. Stryderzero
4. APProject
5. Edge45

Too bad the poll was not multi-voting. I'm excited on who's gonna win :3

Level 36
I swear, every fucking time...

You certainly do.

-

Anyway, if he dropped by to vote for himself instead of clarifying the unknown resource
in his terrain, then that is a clear sign he doesn't commit a whole lot of trouble to
understand the boundaries he's supposed to be working from. Hence, I honestly don't
see much chance in his pleading. This is blatantly a sign that he chooses to be ignorant
and not that he is so out of innocence. I will await a potential explanation, but this
might have more serious consequences than simply becoming disqualified.

Maybe if voting was anonymous, then perhaps there would be more objectivity? So people would not have to express their sympathy by puting their name beneath their selection.

I disagree. Anonymous voting might merely encourage even less objectivity, and it would certainly make it easier for contestants to vote for themselves.
When your actions can't be seen, you tend to be more lenient toward personal gain and curious behaviour. Being visible makes it so that you're actions
must be held accountable. Regardless of either of the options, however, it's impossible to expect our user-base to be completely objective, nor to expect
them to be knowledgeable enough to make "proper" deduction. This is why we've chosen to keep the poll nearly as a... Formality and rather lean the
decisive horn on the judges.

APProject
-Man , seriously this is f'ck'ng amazing, im more impressed on the bridge , windows and the dome. It just INSANE man! I wanted to make something like this before even now but my laziness pull me down . I love constructions too.

The good sides are , as what i have stated above , the dome , bridge , especially the glowing windows are great. I like the fog , dark and fading , same to the void ravine. I like the atmosphere too. Nice color of trees , it fit the environment well same to the rocks and cliffs.

What're the bad sides are , the lighting , it is too intense. The Red Tree seems alone , you must place more or replace some green trees with the red trees. He needs a brother bro. Thirdly , the Clergy's house at the left , i think you've chosen the wrong color, purple? And it's too bright (If i were you , i will still choose the red or the yellow or just leave it dark coz it is attacting my eye) Lastly , the low quality brown stone (seen at the bottom of the bridge) , it think it is stetched or something? Or maybe a wrong choice of texture.

But overall , it's really really great. I'm impressed , i'm surprised , i'm.....

Fladdermasken
-Firstly , i was disappointed on those stretched windows. Secondly , the light of the windows are dark , you could add some glows on front of it to enlighten it. Thirdly , the stretched pillar at front part of the castle , you could use Moria Pillars for that. Fourthly , the sky, it is too intense for me , i dont know if it is a right idea to add a very dark clouds there , you could lighten that abit , it's too black. (No, i'm wrong , there's a problem in my desktop color settings) Fifth, the ground of the castle , it is empty (and im seeing a flat rock inside the castle) , you can add some platforms or cobbles to it or maybe close the doors instead to hide the empty interiors. Lastly is the stretched rock mountain near the river , it is obvious man.
Now for the good sides , the environment and constructions are great . I like the waterfalls. What i like most is the park at the left side , not sure if it a park , maybe a playground.

I like you modern WIP more compared to this one , honestly.

Heinvers
-Man it is f'ck'd up , seriously. :D
The rocks are'nt fitting together , never combine red rocks and white rocks (But you can use the Art-Tint to fit them together). Im not liking the playground at the left , if i were you , i will build a small wooden house there. Im seeing a "weird" waterfall at the left , i dont know where's the source. The stairs looks bad , look closely man , look closer , and what makes it worse is the red pillars and arches (I would rather place the natural Refuge-in-Ruins-Arch there , or you can lessen the red color by changing the tint , fit it with the environment tone). The empty background also disappointed me , you can bring that fog closer to hide that empty and tile-y mountains. The third cliff (at the right behind the first cliff) , it lacks trees and attractions. Why not making a restaurant there?. The left part looks plain and rocky , construct a bar there.

Now the Good Sides are , the building on the front of the camera , it's amazing and well done. I like the bridge at the bottom too. I like the cliff concept. I like the atmosphere too , but you should lessen the sun intensity and make it smoother. I like your improvements bro , keep it up! :)

Stryder (Talking to myself :p)
-It lacks contrast and colors. The roofs are too blocky , but i know why man , we lack roofs right here yes? The cathedral seems fine , next time make it attractive , im more attracted on the neighbors. I like the Semi-Circle Bridge. The atmosphere is great. I think what it lacks right now is the background. I went to Italy 2 months ago and it looks really the same , the bridge and designs , i like the pillars.

You should probably return the night version bro? (Yeah sure!)
"I know my terrain lack alot of ideas. It lack decorations and colors. I focused more on the reference which is the venice and i did'nt trust my ideas placing decorations there , i was going to add some benches near the riverside to fill the emptiness but i chose not to place the benches because it will block the holy statues ."

Im not done yet , im going to give suggestions and comments on the other participants tomorrow.

So far , what i like most is APProject's entry ^_^. As expected , im not going to win. I'd like to say thanks to the people who voted me :") :D , i hope you're voting honestly and right.

===

Sorry for bad translation of English :D

Last edited:
Level 31
Thanks, Strydy. :)
I disagree.
Yeah, there are plenty of reasons why I was wrong, but it all depends on people who vote. Having hope in people's honesty would not work I suppose. I also had in mind that only moderators would be able to see who voted, not users, not sure if that is possible though.
it's impossible to expect our user-base to be completely objective, nor to expect them to be knowledgeable enough to make "proper" deduction.
True, but having this in mind why polls comes into the final score at all then? I know it works well for the community to be a part of it, but it would serve equally without affecting the final outcome, because I think it is more about people spreading their opinion and pointing out their favorites rather than aiming to decide the winner. Perhaps a bigger number of experienced judges than usual would balance the odds? Of course that's something problematic to realize.

The rocks aren't fitting together , never combine red rocks and white rocks
and what makes it worse is the red pillars and arches
I don't think I agree :p
Yes I could've tinted the felsen rocks a bit darker but I don't think it's a big problem.
The third cliff (at the right behind the first cliff) , it lacks trees and attractions. Why not making a restaurant there?. The left part looks plain and rocky , construct a bar there.
Actually there are trees on the right cliff behind the closer cliff but barely noticeable. Yeah, thanks for pointing that out, I was rushing it to make it to the finish. Dunno if I'll update it though ;)
-good stuff-

Level 10
I will append a poll when people have had good time to go over the participant list and double check so everything is alright

Also if Splub could provide a link for his gate warden or whatever we're all set to go

I believe it is from this.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...r-ye-resources-mod-compendium-171062/#Anchor1

And also I allowed someone to vote using my account and they voted for me. I forgot about the rule or just wasn't aware of it... Sorry.

Level 34
It kind of gives away who you're rooting for, and thus, with both judges voting in the poll
you'd end up being able to deduce who the winner will be before the judging are even
out.
I suppose, but honestly, the scores I give don't necessarily reflect what I personally like more. There are factors that go into what terrain I like the most that may not be accounted for in the judging. And vice versa.

Doesn't matter though, I'm fine with not voting. Makes sense.

Level 16
Stryderzero, you made one hell of a terrain there <3 but I had to give a honest vote! I just loved Flad's terrain, the left side is really beautiful and the cathedral to although it's not that great compared to my other 2 favorite choices but he did the best job in giving it the depth. It has both landscape and architecture that's placed very well in it. My only complaint is that he should of went easier on the fog. In reality it should be a bit of fog at the horizon not so much on that cathedral and he could of given it a more finer, gradual fog if he wanted a gradient to be visible between the structure and the foreground.

I appreciate him for his landscape very much.

Level 7
My choice was made based on the ability to enchant and improve the terrain of Warcraft itself, to be honest, I was in doubt, but taking a long look, I finally can decide who. I'll leave my review if someone is interesting on it.

Review​
This is so good, the details in the cathedral, the effect very well applied of the thunder, those cliffs not warcraft'ish, I love this, one of my favorites so far.

Probably one of my favorite skies in here, a great work with the trees and the grass.

Oh well, I like water in this way so much, very well worked, your castle is so natural too, one of my favorite too.

Well played with waterfall, also the mountain, trees, so much details. The emphasis you did directly to the mountain, letting the castle as a mysterious scenario and a important thing to people look.

It sounds like a abandoned castle with a swamp, not that it's bad, but different (good different), the dead trees, the light and the sky with a climate that something will come out and catch you by surprise. One of my favorites.

The rocks on the cliff, the castle on the mountain, the grass on the other mountain, I waste so much time looking at this terrain, and thinking about how you did it, you worked in every detail, every piece of the terrain you changed in some way (better way). My favorite terrain.

The main point here for me is definitely the warcraft'ish style, the trees and the texture in the castle are so well combined, also the water in those minor gardens, for some reason remember me Maleficent (the movie). I'm trying to imagine what kinda of family would try to live here.

Well well, a naga place, finally someone did a good and detailed terrain with those doodads. Very nice waterfall, also the bridge is nicely done. Trying to figure out what kinda of treasure is hidden inside it (remembering the Maiev campaign).

Finally someone used an unit to improve the terrain, for about four minutes, I just looked to the castle and the guardian, but next I saw the little island and the ship far far away and I was like "how did I mislook this?". Great place for a great castle.

Because of the naturally of this, is the only terrain that I want to explore, really, it's a combination of warcraft'ish and non warcraft'ish (like the exactly amount necessary), a touch of modern times (today) with medieval ambient, so detailed, so much doodads to look. Definitely one of my favorites.

My Top List
  • Heinvers
  • Stryderzero
  • APproject
  • Forsaken
  • Edge45

Status
Not open for further replies.