• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Thanks, fladder, it worked.

Facing another problem. Lighting appeared to be harder than I expected. I use Light: White doodad and it doesn't seem to cover all of the doodads around it, it is like some doodad are immune to this completely and no matter how and where I place the light, the doodad will not get lightened because of other Lights nearby, that's some ugly and annoying thing.

Level 31
Seraphim's Cathedral

This is my final submission for the contest. If I am to change something, this post will be removed and it will be reposted.

Some of the statistics: 3 weeks, approximately 60 hours of work, 6031 doodads of cathedral building, 9804 doodads in total.

Building's style is Gothic with Baroque elements such as the dome. Captured moment is the night time before the storm. Moon is facing behind the camera, that is why it is bright at the front. Lightning strike also brightens most of the object's sides. Cathedral is called after Seraphim the heavenly being with 6 wings. Other buildings and structures on the view: clergy house, small chapel, a monument and the roof for the baptismal water in the garden of cathedral. On the bridge a bunch of monks are in hurry to take shelter. Two statues with 6 wings on top of the structures represents Seraphim himself. Aim was to present a realistic view in the medieval setting.

Seraphim's Cathedral

MDWNklo.png

162746-albums5929-picture89252.png

Level 14
@APproject: I'm sitting at my computer and when I looked at your final submission for your terrain I literally said out loud "Holy Crap"

That is epic.

Level 29
hi everybody (may i wonder if i should do this)...

i saw this contest and i wanted to have some fun and participate (this is the first time i participate in a contest so dont throw a me garbage conteiner)

im not especting to win at all, maybe a lemmon candy for the last place, while you are terrainers making cathedrals/ castles, im like a child of 5 years playing with a lego set of 212 pieces (doodads used so far)

so here is my WIP

229248-albums7618-picture89272.jpg

i only used this: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/ultimate-terraining-map-4-0-a-252232/

Author's Note/Message
Ahh i feel im not going to win the contest , but i dont care :D i think it's enough to be part of this contest.

Anyway , im not really making any progress to my terrain , so here's the final.
I've added torches , few decorations , fixed the overbright lighting and kicked out the boating guy.

My terrain's based on the cathedral at Venice , with some mix of buildings in France. River is obviously based on Venice. Columns and Stairs were based on Greek Buildings. Simply , this terrain is a mixed Greek , French and Italian designs.

So , i have the same work time like APproject , i worked this terrain for almost 3 weeks (10 hours everyday).
My map have 3016 doodads, so bad. :<
[rainbow]
Poco Venezia[/rainbow]
[rainbow]Little Venice[/rainbow]

*Updated "October 12 2014"*

226575-albums6981-picture90779.png

226575-albums6981-picture89273.png

-Tranquil [Hiveworkshop]
-Fingolfin [Hiveworkshop]
-_oGre [Hiveworkshop/Wc3C]
-Talavaj [Hiveworkshop]
-xXm0rpH3usXx [Wc3C]
-olofmoleman [Wc3C]
-Illidan(evil)x [Wc3C]
-Mc! [Wc3C]
-Daelin [Wc3C]
-Born2Modificate [Wc3C]

Last edited:
Level 20
So here is my final entry~ (Couldn't think of anything more to add)
-Added fog, to make the castle feel more deserted and bring a little "too-ancient, too-haunted" feeling to it.
-Added small environmental stuff around, and changed the Terrain Fog from Gray to Light Gray
-The weird light orbs are really, really dense spots in the fog (unknown cause, so the Royal family abandoned the castle, in fear of any more strange occurrences)

Relictus Castrum

216968-albums7621-picture89275.jpg

-The makers of the UTM 4.0-

Here the links to the posts with my previous WiPs:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2587091-post200.html

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2587219-post203.html

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2587456-post210.html

Level 31
I would suggest you to fix some things that would greatly improve your terrain, MasterTrainer. From this angle, you are not supposed to see the sky, unless it is flying in the air. What is more, your fog doesn't affect the trees and they are extremely bright and stand out from the rest, I'm sure those trees could be more fogged. The pillar at the left is really black, perhaps few lights would do. And in at the top right corner you can see the inside of the block, it would be cool if you hide it. :)

Probability this will be my Final Entry!

Lonely Night

zxtwqo.jpg

Sky: Good attempt to display a color difference between the moonlight ring and the rest of the sky, however, that area should not be darker than the sky. In fact, the whole sky has to be darker.

Tree: It kind of gets repetitive to use them almost at the exact same angle; it makes your execution pretty random and it eventually lacks realism.

Table and Chairs: For a deserted place like this, that part is conceptually off. Either add watchers to establish more vivid scenery or remove those doodads.

Tree on the rock: The tinting of the models creates a very crisp contrast and one can have the feeling that the tree is actually floating. Try reducing the color tone of the rock or use Black Glows to make that area darker (and thus the transition, between those two models, smoother).

The overall atmosphere is pretty decent, but I would reconsider the use of mushrooms.

Attachments

• zxtwqo.png
    zxtwqo.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 157

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

@abgm:

Looks great. Good luck, you'll have some fierce competition :)

Level 24
Final Submission of Edge45(maybe)

Well, Since in the coming days that I have more work, This will be my
Final Submission (Maybe)

Since its a final submission, there will be no more updating (maybe)

SRpXK4w.jpg

xLUDmHM.jpg

Cair Sanctaruz

The castle and fortress of the Whitebeak Clan, settled within the mountain ranges of The White Mountains. The castle is surrounded by harsh terrains, large rocks and waterfalls which makes it difficult for any siege. The castle itself has very fined architecture, walls and blocks, which enables them to gain less damage from long range attacks. Cair Sanctaruz also gain its tittle as the White's Castle and also known as the Waterfall Castle.

Level 28
Welp. Didn't have a chance to work on my entry that much but here is an update WIP. Finally done something on the courtyard. I was actually thinking of a big tree in the middle of the pond but I thought it will be boring so just switch to some kind of a structure.

Terrain Contest WIP.jpg

Everything is going well and I just need to add a clock tower or something on the top left corner but then when I tried to decide of an angle to use for my terrain a big problem occurred... it seems that I can't view the whole damn thing on my editor. I'm losing massive parts of the building if I try to view it on a low angle.

Haha.

@Forsaken nice! I agree with Pharaoh, though. The moon needs to be the light source while the sky should be dark.

@abgm the Middle Eastern theme looks good but needs a better angle.
anyway i wouldnt reach the third place with my skills
Not about going third place... :/

Kinda reminds me of Santacruz. xD
Anyways, the sun's light is undiscernable due to the overly bright sky. Also the flags need more light.

@sonofjay looks cool. :thumbs_up:

Level 28
Looks good. Is that water?

Yup. If it looks weird because there is no source of water then I might put a water way somewhere(probably on the southern part).

Great details.

Thanks although its still not finish since I haven't put the details of ruined/abandonment yet. Also I might need to spam a little more grass, flowers and other plants here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.