• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
6.png

Castles/Cathedrals

133407-albums3940-picture91290.jpg

Participants are to depict a scene with its primary focus being a cathedral/castle in any shape or form.

noun. A castle is a large building usually with high, thick walls and towers that was built in the past to protect against attack
noun. A cathedral is the principal church of a bishop's diocese, containing the episcopal throne. alt. a large, important church.

Definition are definitons, but I trust you know what we have in mind.

I also urge participants to be creative. The theme dictates there needs to be a castle/cathedral present but the nature of it and the setting it's in is completely up to interpretation.

e.g. there is no direct need for the castle to be set in a medieval setting.

UsernameWIP

abgm
Click
(withdrawn)

APProject
Click

Chenralstrasz
Click

don_svetlio
Click

Edge45
Click

fladdermasken
Click

Forsaken
Click

gabriono
Click

Heinvers
Click

MasterTrainer
Click

median
Click

sonofjay
Click

Splub
Click

StryderZero
Click

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If an entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must contain a screenshot of your work
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Offsite-imports may be used in the map, if and only if
    • they are fully credited.
    • they are public resources and a link is provided.
    • they were made before the contest launch date.
    • However certain resources might get approved by the contest's host or judge(s).
  • Map may be based on the Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0.
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (however you may use them to crop).
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
judges.png
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
Includes how the theme was interpreted and portrayed. Note that there's a fine line between creative and completely offbeat./15

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./15

Technique
Executional quality, techniques, tricks and overall terraining capacity./15

Aestethics
Overall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack both detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./15
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png
  • The contest shall begin on 29.08.14 and conclude on 31.10.14, GMT

Q: Does the map have to be based on Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0?
A: No. You may base it on any map or template, provided of course it doesn't violate this rule.
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.

Q: Can we copy already existing IRL cathedrals / castles?
A: There is no rule against it, but it will most likely factor into the scoring.

Q: I want to do simple model edits, e.g. apply a material filter mode, remove geosets, etc. Does this violate the rule against importing models made after the contest launch date?
A: Simple edits will most likely be sanctioned. The rule was put in place to even out the available assets participants have, not stop people from trying to perfect their art. If you are unsure of an edited resource, ask the host, the terrain board moderator, or any of the judges if it is alright.

Q: Do we get extra points for a no imports terrain?
A: You may indirectly get more points, e.g. no imports forces you to be more creative with your techniques and will so factor into creativity/technique scoring. But no direct points will be given for not using imported material.

Q: Is the shape and form of the castle/cathedral up to interpretation?
A: Yes. In fact, creativity is encouraged and will factor into the scoring.

Q: Are submissions made in StarCraft II allowed?
A: Sadly not. The judging criteria is too reliant on WarCraft III standards and would therefore be unfair to other participants.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
May stands for what I think or it is a must and no other imported material can be used? Is WoW material allowed?
May stands for may and not must. For other material, see this.
  • Offsite-imports may be used in the map, if and only if
    • they are fully credited.
    • they are public resources and a link is provided.
    • they were made before the contest launch date.
Another thing, can we copy already existing IRL cathedrals / castles?
There is no rule against it.

Level 31
Looking very good, Stryderzero. I just realised, since this is a competition, it is a really bad idea to share WIPs, because this way some things can be easily copied or attempted to be done in a better way.
Specify what you want to do, and I might or might not give clemency.
Should I specify it all hero or privately? Basically, all I need is to edit certain models and remove certain parts from it. For example, reducing big model's vertices so that my Display Driver doesn't crash when loaded with the abundance of details, this can be done by removing geosets. Removing and excluding geosets from models so that I could use certain piece of the model, and not a whole of it. It doesn't include any model creating or texture change, just optimizing and excluding model parts. I can give you specific models.

Looking very good, Stryderzero. I just realised, since this is a competition, it is a really bad idea to share WIPs, because this way some things can be easily copied or attempted to be done in a better way.

Well , yeah i agreed but i will still share my WIP , just to give them idea.
<3

That looks awesome! Perhaps more detail on the water though.

:)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Before I make anything, I have a question. Do we get extra points for a no imports (excluding glow model) terrain?

Level 31
I don't think it would be fair to get extra for no imports as a base addition without examinating the work, but definately judges should take it into consideration and give something extra for creativity if you come up with something great and no imports involved.

Level 35
Should I specify it all hero or privately? Basically, all I need is to edit certain models and remove certain parts from it. For example, reducing big model's vertices so that my Display Driver doesn't crash when loaded with the abundance of details, this can be done by removing geosets. Removing and excluding geosets from models so that I could use certain piece of the model, and not a whole of it. It doesn't include any model creating or texture change, just optimizing and excluding model parts. I can give you specific models.

If it's merely for performance matters, then go ahead. But if you edit the models in any
practical way, such as the models could be of some practical use, then you'd have to
share the models here in the contest if you're going to use them, preferably as quickly
as possible after their made. In that case, though, you'd also have to get the permission
from the model's creators to upload edited versions of their models.

Before I make anything, I have a question. Do we get extra points for a no imports (excluding glow model) terrain?

Not jurisdictionally, but you might open a heart-door with one or two judges.
If that made anything any clearer.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I see. That means I have to get Gilles to judge :D. Well, in any case, I really want to do a no-imports terrain for once and I have some idea forming, just 1 last question, the shape and type of castle is open to interpretation as well right? For example, a castle winding around a tree would work?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Just 1 last question, the shape and type of castle is open to interpretation as well right? For example, a castle winding around a tree would work?
Yes. In fact, creativity is encouraged.

Gtfo and get back to the co-terrain, wretch.

What about... You judge this one, instead of
participating.
Plenty of time to do this one on the side.

Also I will only judge if I can't finish my terrain for some reason, because I have a good idea.

@Stryderzero woah, that looks really cool. I love how the garden on the wall is made. :D
The lily pads seem to be too high though.

@gabriono don't lose hope, at least you might have had a little fun while making it.

A suggestion; replace those walls up front with better quality models. Also the raised ground around the cathedral itself could use some polishing.

What's lacking as of now is detail.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Simple model edits like this will most likely be sanctioned.

Also I added a Q&A session to the first post with contest questions and answers.

Last edited:
Level 4
@gabriono don't lose hope, at least you might have had a little fun while making it.

A suggestion; replace those walls up front with better quality models. Also the raised ground around the cathedral itself could use some polishing.

What's lacking as of now is detail.
I joined the contest just for fun, I don't want to use custom models, thank you for suggestion and encouraging me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.