• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #10 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.

N41

N41

Level 7
Participants List Update:

• Astaroth Zion - Aztec
  • kari0003 - Hungarian myth
  • Black Ranger - Nordic
  • xYours Trulyx - Cthulhu
  • Spellbound - Fey
  • N41 - Egyptian
  • Sunreaver - Chinese
  • Retera - Phoenix
  • Kyrbi0 - Golems
  • Edge45 - Scandivian
  • The_Silent - Aztec (2)
  • Chaosy - Troll
  • Lone Adventurer - Egyptian (2)
  • Footman16 - Celtic
  • Freyleyes - Eldrazi
  • Marcos_M - Children of the Forest
The list is in order of participation according to respective posts in this thread
Sorry if I forgot someone or wrote wrong mythological idea against their name (lots of post to read)

-----

Updates:
  • Using Humans for replacement.
    • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 3, do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (PlayerIndex[(Integer A)] slot status) Equal to Is playing
          • Then - Actions
            • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
              • If - Conditions
                • PlayerAltRace[(Integer A)] Equal to True
              • Then - Actions
                • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]) + : Egyptian)
                • Player - Limit training of Heroes to 3 for PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
                • Player - Limit training of Scarab Lord to 1 for PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
                • Player - Limit training of Serpent Queen to 1 for PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
                • Player - Limit training of God of Chaos to 1 for PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
                • -------- startCreation --------
                • Set playGroup = (Units owned by PlayerIndex[(Integer A)] matching (((Matching unit) is A peon-type unit) Equal to True))
                • Unit Group - Pick every unit in playGroup and do (Actions)
                  • Loop - Actions
                    • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Kheper (Gatherer) using The old unit's relative life and mana
                • -------- removeLeakHere:( --------
                • Set playGroup = (Units owned by PlayerIndex[(Integer A)] matching (((Matching unit) is A town-hall-type unit) Equal to True))
                • Unit Group - Pick every unit in playGroup and do (Actions)
                  • Loop - Actions
                    • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Halls of Sands using The old unit's relative life and mana
                • -------- removeLeakHere:( --------
                • -------- endCreation --------
              • Else - Actions
          • Else - Actions
            • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]) + : NULL)
  • Harvesting is normal like Humans or Orcs
  • Buildings are done
Almost 35-50% work done

Yet to work on many spells and abilities, hunt for respective icons and other required stuff.

That's all :wink:
-----

Hope I could do it within set deadline.... :|

Level 7
12991017_10207702982964101_1764767454336015762_n.jpg

I wanted to make a screenshot from in-game, but i couldn't make my custom race appeared, some mini-tutorial on how to use the CustomRace Library? I read the documentation and do exactly what it says, and nothing

Dunno how familiar you are with JASS so I'll just explain every step.

1. Create a new trigger. Name it [Your Race] Setup.
2. Select the trigger, go to edit and click Convert to Custom Text.
3. Ctrl + A to select everything inside the trigger you created, and delete the existing script.
4. Go to one of the existing [Race] Setup triggers and copy them, preferably one that most closely matches the race you're making.
5. Change this line: local CustomRace c = CustomRace.create("[Your Race Name]",RACE_HUMAN,1.0). The RACE_HUMAN tells the editor what race you need to have selected (so it can be RACE_ORC, RACE_UNDEAD, etc), and the 1.0 is the percentage handicap you need to be at to play as the custom race. I have mine set to 1.0 (which is 100%) for testing, but will revert it to 0.9 for the submission version. If you do use 1.0 for testing, set the race you copied it from to something else so there is no conflict. I explain it in slightly more detail here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2786922-post91.html

If you need any further help with something like haunted gold mines, here's what I did: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2790011-post159.html

Level 7
I can only edit on weekend so i'm concentrating my efforts on making it work like i want, not so much to look like i want

The RACE_HUMAN tells the editor what race you need to have selecte
Wow, that's why it did not work, i was testing it with "Random" and only changing the handicap(and later on i tried a little more but putting "RACE_OTHER" on that field
Thanks for the help :3

WIPing around here :|

I can haz WIPs? I'm planning to do each troop production building has unique features each. For example,the first primary troop uses morphery of Cultists. And mages,will use relics. Darkest Dungeons has a broken cell effect when a beast is trained.

NOTE : This will be the last WIP I'm sending. After that,I will probably publish my entry.

Here's an update of mine, though I'm losing motivation since I'm stuck with this training system, if only I'm experienced in Jass *sigh*
We all have to start somewhere. I have to say, though, visually your entry looks really good. You get points for consistency.

Here is my current work, it's based on Japanese Mythology.
As you can see I still need work for the heroes.
attachment.php
I guess that's as japanese-ish you can get with the existing models. I like it though.

I can haz WIPs? I'm planning to do each troop production building has unique features each. For example,the first primary troop uses morphery of Cultists. And mages,will use relics. Darkest Dungeons has a broken cell effect when a beast is trained.

NOTE : This will be the last WIP I'm sending. After that,I will probably publish my entry.

Nice! Love the originality. Pretty impressive :)

Level 19
I guess that's as japanese-ish you can get with the existing models. I like it though.

There are no japanese models here. :(

why don't use those chinese doodad buildings

You said they lack animations right?

Nice concept there but how many combinations are possible?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The max in the vanilla races are 3 but having another one wouldn't be too much right?
Oh no, absolutely. You misunderstand; I'm all for discussing the pros & cons of having more or less than the 'norm' (my Trolls have, essentially, 3 "caster" units (i.e. units with caster upgrades)). I was just saying that if we are talking "norms", it's good to be precise; i.e. "Every faction has 2 'Casters'; some (one) has 3, others have some pseudo-Casters"

2-3 being the norm, 1 or 4 would be an interesting design choice.

Oh no, absolutely. You misunderstand; I'm all for discussing the pros & cons of having more or less than the 'norm' (my Trolls have, essentially, 3 "caster" units (i.e. units with caster upgrades)). I was just saying that if we are talking "norms", it's good to be precise; i.e. "Every faction has 2 'Casters'; some (one) has 3, others have some pseudo-Casters"

2-3 being the norm, 1 or 4 would be an interesting design choice.

The only real limiters on unit composition from my point of view are:
1) Does the proposed unit make sense?
2) Is the unit substantially different from other units both in that race and in opposing races?
3) For casters - Does having another caster produce too much spam or potentially create an environment where the player or an opponent would be frustrated having to track numerous spell effects?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The only real limiters on unit composition from my point of view are:
1) Does the proposed unit make sense?
2) Is the unit substantially different from other units both in that race and in opposing races?
3) For casters - Does having another caster produce too much spam or potentially create an environment where the player or an opponent would be frustrated having to track numerous spell effects?
Good metrics & guidelines to follow, for sure.

We can (and perhaps, elsewhere, really should) discuss at great length what it means to say "make a faction that fits with the existing factions", weighing the pros & cons of various design choices.

But that's not what I'm trying to do here (again, hehe); all I was pointing out was that, if we're talking "norms", there do exist certain ones; certain patterns of design that we can trace through Warcraft as a whole (2-3 casters, 4 heroes, a builder/gatherer unit(s), etc). Whether these mean anything, or should be followed (blindly or otherwise)... A great debate awaits. ; )

Good metrics & guidelines to follow, for sure.

We can (and perhaps, elsewhere, really should) discuss at great length what it means to say "make a faction that fits with the existing factions", weighing the pros & cons of various design choices.

But that's not what I'm trying to do here (again, hehe); all I was pointing out was that, if we're talking "norms", there do exist certain ones; certain patterns of design that we can trace through Warcraft as a whole (2-3 casters, 4 heroes, a builder/gatherer unit(s), etc). Whether these mean anything, or should be followed (blindly or otherwise)... A great debate awaits. ; )

I understand. When I'm responding here I am also communicating on how I will be judging these entries.

To your point though I believe that the standard WC3 tree composition neither arbitrary, nor anything less then well planned. You can argue balance all day but that's not what I am referring to. The asymmetry introduced after the mirror match WC2 created a dynamic environment where players could develop many unique strategies (and cheese). I've played a lot of WC3 and my perception is that each unit serves a specific purpose. For instance the Mountain Giant and Raider are both crowd control units (Taunt / Ensnare) with siege properties but go about their purposes in completely different manners.

I would rather you submit an incomplete tree where you have fully developed each unit then submit a 12 unit tree where some are duplicated vanilla units with half thought-out abilities. In the case of the latter I will simply ignore those units when judging.

Level 24
Hey guys, I kinda have this issue of the map not playing when I test it, or find it via ingame, but it doesn't show up.

I don't know why but it might be from the Custom Race System,
This is a setup for my race,
JASS:
library DrakoonSetup initializer Init requires CustomRaceSystem

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
        local CustomRace c = CustomRace.create("Drakoon",RACE_HUMAN,0.9)
        call c.setTownHall('dbne')                  // Nest
        call c.addWorkerType('dhat',c.NEAR_MINE,5)  // Hatchling
        call c.addHeroType('O000')                  // Trueblade
        call c.addHeroType('O001')                  // Tempest
        call c.addHeroType('O002')                  // Royal Guard
        call c.addHeroType('O003')                  // Overlord
        call c.setAIScript("human.ai")
    endfunction

endlibrary

I did some tests: disabling this code, and the other codes I made, but it still cannot be played. Now I downloaded the map on the very first post (thread post), I edited the Human setup there (changing the worker into peon), and it can't be played, even when I return the value into worker, the same.

Level 24
When I test the map via test button, then Warcraft opens, then it skips into the mainscreen, the map can't be played. Also, I tried to open Warcraft in-game, gone for custom maps, find to where the map is located, and its not there.

There are no codes disabled, since I use Newgen WE, it checks the map every time I save or test it, and all seems success. Sometimes though, when I manually Syntax check the codes such as my race setup, all those "syntax errors" show up, but they seem to be ok.

Level 2
Haha, ironic that a topic I know very well, is a contest on content I can't quite create well at the moment. Oh well, I look forward to seeing what the contestants content looks like, good luck. :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.