• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #10 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 reasons why I assume why ppl didn't pick greek or roman:

1) overused. People are likely fed up with greek mythos and would rather work some something else. I know I am.

2) lack of models. Mythology in itself is a hard theme to make because it has some very specific needs, like a certain degree of accuracy concerning the chosen mythos. That includes 3D models, of which there aren't many that meet the specific thematic criteria.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So no one picked Greek or Roman mythology?
I would argue it's not only because it's the "obvious" choice, but because Blizzard kinda already *did* it; Harpies, Minotaur(en), Hydra, Sphinx, Satyr, Centaur... That's what *Blizzard* did, so why re-do it?

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a creative way to do it.

Level 35
2) lack of models. Mythology in itself is a hard theme to make because it has some very specific needs, like a certain degree of accuracy concerning the chosen mythos. That includes 3D models, of which there aren't many that meet the specific thematic criteria.

Kyrbi0 already kinda mentioned this.. But the lack of models does not work, given the immense amount of models related to those two specifically. So much of the whole universe of wc3 is based on those and there is literally thousands of models of that type. The naga race for instance, to mention just one with several buildings :wink: There is a also a ton of related doodads as well.

Level 35
Does a race of "elven amazons" counts as mythology? 'Cause the greek amazons were humans

Well.. the amazons were considered as a real thing by the greeks, and many others... that means that some of them is part of their mythology, but they themselves cannot be considered it. Although most historians agree that the amazons themselves is basically always out of the human perception, meaning that whatever story they take part in, where they are from is always somewhere far away and unknown. While it does slightly relate to the elves, you would be much much better of just going with the mythology that actually contains elves, the wood people. That would be something like the norse and the germanic mythology.

Level 12
Well.. the amazons were considered as a real thing by the greeks, and many others... that means that some of them is part of their mythology, but they themselves cannot be considered it. Although most historians agree that the amazons themselves is basically always out of the human perception, meaning that whatever story they take part in, where they are from is always somewhere far away and unknown. While it does slightly relate to the elves, you would be much much better of just going with the mythology that actually contains elves, the wood people. That would be something like the norse and the germanic mythology.

I agree with you

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

The YouTube link could not be parsed. Try a different one or report it to Ralle.

something wrong with the link. :3

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The idea is that a Contest should only care about (&, essentially, allow) contestants to change/make what is pertinent to the Contest; code for a Zephyr Contest, mesh/textures/animations for a Modeling Contest, and object editor stuff for a Techtree Contest. Anything else is just a waste of time, and indeed may give you an unfair advantage (i.e. say your Entry is about as good as someone else's Entry, but you have a fancy custom Terrain you made... Might bias the Judges)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If you want to spend time developing resources outside of contest criteria that's fine - just understand I will completely ignore it, and it will likely lead to a disqualification.

That said if you want to release a more complete version after the contest concludes I would encourage you to do so.
This is something I would like to see made explicit, in general, for Contests.

@The_Silent : That's bad,but dun give up hope.

Guys,post more WIPS.
We need them :{
wake_up_you_must.jpg.12ab7454e3d0560828b7368dc7d7f43f.jpg

Last edited:
Level 15
As always, great idea for contest. A lot of enthusiasm in the beginining, and in the end we get 2 bearly half-finished projects..

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As always, great idea for contest. A lot of enthusiasm in the beginining, and in the end we get 2 bearly half-finished projects..
Dude, we are over a month away from the deadline. Chillax. : )

Granted, I am falling into the trap I knew I would: life. Unless I am able to get something done between when finals are done & the contest is over (~2 weeks), I'll be dropping out. But I already knew that, so no big loss.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Techtrees require an obscene amount of time (well if you want a good one that is) so it is common that there is a lower amount of entries.

I hope to see at least 3 entries by the end tho.
One of the many reasons I am a strong proponent of the "mini" techtree Contest; it was also one of the more popular/well-attended Techtree Contests of the past.

Hmmm, I might join with something from my own country (since I already know a lot about it obviously; less work for me).

What I'd be going for is a mix of Celtic mythology combined into a kind of Scottish-type army thing of warriors and chiefs etc. I'll probably be using Daenar7's brilliant skins for it. Would that be allowed, the concept I mean?

EDIT: I also plan to add the infamous Loch Ness Monster, if I do go ahead with it :p

Well I'm blending a bunch of cryptids/fairy tale creatures (mostly different types of fairies) from England with a splash from Ireland and Scottland, so I imagine you could do that. Just, try to keep the mythologies you mix up have a similar source that's not too far apart in terms of years. Like, don't mix mythologies that are 1000 years apart, that kind of thing.

My two cents anyway.

Well I'm blending a bunch of cryptids/fairy tale creatures (mostly different types of fairies) from England with a splash from Ireland and Scottland, so I imagine you could do that. Just, try to keep the mythologies you mix up have a similar source that's not too far apart in terms of years. Like, don't mix mythologies that are 1000 years apart, that kind of thing.

My two cents anyway.

What I mean is I'm mixing mythology just with ancient/medieval celtic (Scottish) culture if that's allowed?

Of course. There were no restrictions on either the mythology's origin (i.e. Scottish/Irish/whatever) nor on it's admixture (i.e. whether you mix things together/whatever), so go for it.

Right cool, thanks a lot Kyrbi0 and Spellbound, I'll probably see about starting then soon.

Level 12
@Footman16:
It is allowed

@Kyrbi0 and @Spellbound:
Thanks for helping me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Everyone:
News everyone: Friday i will demand an update from everyone ok?

Oh by the way, for the techtree do you overwrite a standard or does it have to be completely separate or either?

Also since I'll be using Skins those will override some standard units skins is that alright?

Also would I be alright using the Scottish/Gaelic names or would I be better going for an easier English translation?

Also, can I create my own Race initialisation triggers based off the ones from my own Custom race maps?

Last edited:
Level 12
Oh by the way, for the techtree do you overwrite a standard or does it have to be completely separate or either?

Also since I'll be using Skins those will override some standard units skins is that alright?

Also would I be alright using the Scottish/Gaelic names or would I be better going for an easier English translation?

Also, can I create my own Race initialisation triggers based off the ones from my own Custom race maps?

1-Overwrite one of the standards is the recommended idea but you can go separate if you want

2-If you're overwriting from the techtree you're replacing or units that are not used my the demo map, then yes. but if it's a separate race, then no.

3-Do whatever you want. just be sure to explain the people.

4-yes you can.

N41

N41

Level 7
Updating participant list I made here:

• Astaroth Zion - Aztec
  • kari0003 - Hungarian myth
  • Black Ranger - Nordic
  • xYours Trulyx - Cthulhu
  • Spellbound - Fey
  • N41 - Egyptian
  • Sunreaver - Chinese
  • Retera - Phoenix
  • Kyrbi0 - Golems
  • Edge45 - Scandivian
  • The_Silent - Aztec (2)
  • Chaosy - Troll
  • Lone Adventurer - Egyptian (2)
  • Footman16 - Celtic
  • Freyleyes - Eldrazi
The list is in order of participation according to respective posts in this thread
Sorry if I forgot someone or wrote wrong mythological idea against their name (lots of post to read)

-----

Screenshot.jpg

Am far too busy right now with other things and hope I can get something more worthier to show by Friday.. :vw_sad:

Reactions: Kam
Level 12
Updating participant list I made here:

• Astaroth Zion - Aztec
  • kari0003 - Hungarian myth
  • Black Ranger - Nordic
  • xYours Trulyx - Cthulhu
  • Spellbound - Fey
  • N41 - Egyptian
  • Sunreaver - Chinese
  • Retera - Phoenix
  • Kyrbi0 - Golems
  • Edge45 - Scandivian
  • The_Silent - Aztec (2)
  • Chaosy - Troll
  • Lone Adventurer - Egyptian (2)
  • Footman16 - Celtic
  • Freyleyes - Eldrazi
The list is in order of participation according to respective posts in this thread
Sorry if I forgot someone or wrote wrong mythological idea against their name (lots of post to read)

-----

Screenshot.jpg

Am far too busy right now with other things and hope I can get something more worthier to show by Friday.. :vw_sad:

Nice Work N41

Status
Not open for further replies.