• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[POLL] Hero Contest #7

This is a [color=deepskyblue]Preferential Voting[/color] Poll! Three Easy Steps:

• 1) DL, Unzip & Test the Entries

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 2) Post in this thread with your Vote [size=1](see below & 2nd post)[/size]

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 3) Vote: Rank all [size=1](or as many as you can)[/size] the entries in order from [b]Best (1) to

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • [b]Voting is a privilege, not a right. If your ranked Vote does not contain sufficient explanation/

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

hero.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

poll.png

Contest Theme: Faction/Altar
Contest Style: Solo ~ In-Game Resources

Man, what a strong finish! We had an excellent run with 13 validated entries! It's looking to be a pretty even fight; lots of good Hero design & creativity! Kudos to all who pulled through and finished, and to those who could not, better luck next time!

Entries
A) A Void
B) AngkySaputra
C) Cokemonkey11
D) Cosmicat
E) Dalvengyr
F) DED1
G) Direfury
H) Footman16
I) Kyrbi0
J) Mythic
K) Rufus
L) Shadow Fury
M) Wa666r

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Judging Criteria:
  • If more than 3 contestants enter, the contest will enter into a public poll.
  • [[IF Schulze Preferential Voting Method]]
  • In the poll, users will have to rank the heroes from best to worst, ignoring any of the entries that they want to.
  • Clear instructions on how to vote will be posted the day the poll opens.
  • All points earned in each section of judging will be scaled to 1000 points and then weighted equally in the final tallying of points.
  • Judges will grade the heroes, giving weight to the following:

Design Criteria
Theme:How well the skills, aesthetics & design fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they belong on the given hero (i.e. frost mage with frost spells, warrior with martial abilities, etc). Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Role:
How well the skills of the hero work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the hero has (i.e. ranged assault, tank, support caster, etc). Comprehensive, well-though-out Roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating Roles will lose points.10

Balance:
Includes how well the hero's Theme, & Role fit into the melee environment in terms of balance, theme, style, complicatedness, and so forth. Overpowered or Underpowered Heroes will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.10

Creativity:
How original the design of the hero is in terms of creative ideas, clever implementations, or new concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

Coding:
How well-made the Coding is for your Hero. Regardless of type (GUI, (v)JASS, etc) or amount (minimum 2-triggered spells, or all 4), Code must be good; MUI, MPI, etc are all important considerations. Clean, Efficient, Robust & Reusable code will result in a good score; Leaky, Haphazard, Inefficient code will result in a poor score.10

Awesomeness:
The most subjective of all grading criteria. This attempts to quantify exactly how awesome a Hero's overall design feels. This is the "subjective elbow room" for people to talk about how "cool" or "nifty" or "rad" the Hero is.5

Total points:

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
designing, creating & implementing custom content; and who is known to judge objectively.
  • Bannar
  • Kam
  • Softmints

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Explanation: This voting method is definitely a step in a different direction for many of you; it's from a long line of voting methods known as "Preferential Voting", and it's been used it in a variety of places. Ever since then, I've desired to see such a voting method implemented here at THW. After doing a bit of research into the matter, this Contest utilizes the "modified Borda Count" method, which has relatively simply math behind it & isn't too hard to understand (really, "preferential voting" says it all, and it's very natural; humans naturally compare things & this just allows for that!). I hope it's a success, and that it may inspire future Contest-creators. : )

Happy voting!

//EDIT// (20141016) - Contestants, when you Vote, please do not rank your entry; rank only the other 12.

disclaimer.png
Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

This Poll ends in One Month, or Saturday, November 15th, 11:59:59PM GMT

Contest Poll

(Sorry this took me a little longer than I expected (1.5 weeks?...), everyone; however, I have a good excuse. I'm posting this from the hospital where my wife just gave birth to our firstborn son! So yeah... Kinda busy. Figured I should get this out as soon as I had time.)

Attachments

• THW.HC7.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Here are some templates you are free to use in Voting; simply Quote this post and delete the extra stuff, filling in with your Vote.

TABLE

1st
NAMESUPPORT

2nd
NAMESUPPORT

3rd
NAMESUPPORT

4th
NAMESUPPORT

5th
NAMESUPPORT

6th
NAMESUPPORT

7th
NAMESUPPORT

8th
NAMESUPPORT

9th
NAMESUPPORT

10th
NAMESUPPORT

11th
NAMESUPPORT

12th
NAMESUPPORT

13th
NAMESUPPORT

LIST
  • 1st - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 2nd - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 3rd - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 4th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 5th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 6th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 7th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 8th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 9th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 10th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 11th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 12th - NAME - SUPPORT
  • 13th - NAME - SUPPORT

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
(Sorry this took me so long (1.5 weeks?...), everyone; however, I have a good excuse. I'm posting this from the hospital where my wife just gave birth to our firstborn son! So yeah... Kinda busy. Figured I should get this out as soon as I had time.)

#priorities

edit: your readme.txt doesn't contain a comment about rufus (note there are 13 maps + 1 DQ'd entry, but only 13 readme notes including the DQ'd entry)

edit: I have tested one entry. I hope to make more progress again soon.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
#priorities
Lawl. Yep, I was all like "Keep pushing, dear! I'll be there in just a sec; just gotta post this Poll!!"

Cokemonkey11 said:
edit: your readme.txt doesn't contain a comment about rufus (note there are 13 maps + 1 DQ'd entry, but only 13 readme notes including the DQ'd entry)
Ah, thanks; not sure how I missed that. Fixed.

Cokemonkey11 said:
edit: I have tested one entry. I hope to make more progress again soon.
Good to hear.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
(Sorry this took me so long (1.5 weeks?...), everyone; however, I have a good excuse. I'm posting this from the hospital where my wife just gave birth to our firstborn son! So yeah... Kinda busy. Figured I should get this out as soon as I had time.)
Congrats!!

Anyway, how should I write my review? Should that based on the judging criteria or just a simple impression about each entry?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You should link the names of contestants with the entry, to make it easier to DL. :)
It's even easier than that; they're all in one single .Zip file (so only 1 DL necessary).

This was done with the most express intentions; I want to encourage (but not force) users to take a look at all the entries, all the hard work, and consider it all in their voting. Kinda the point of "preferential/ranked order" voting, actually.

Anyway, how should I write my review? Should that based on the judging criteria or just a simple impression about each entry?
You can write your review however you prefer; only the Judges are bound to review & grade according to the (hence-named) Judging Criteria.

However, it wouldn't hurt to use that system; I feel it's a pretty good system to 'cover all the bases' of good Hero design & thus a good entry. So sure. : )

I am not able to open A Void's entry.
jass new gen is required i think.. works fine for me tough.
As noted in the readme, I too had that problem... I don't remember anywhere in the Rules that indicated contestants couldn't use something like JNGP or UMSWE (which makes maps unopenable in the normal WE, IIRC)... But that is an issue for the Judges, who need to see inside the map itself.

A Void, since this is your entry, can you take care of working this out with the judges?

So, may I finally judge those?

Nice job Kyrbi0, especially considering what you're going through.
Yes, please. Everything in the .Zip (except, as seen above, A Void's entry) should be ripe & ready for Judging. : )

By the way, my voting table will contain 12 entries, since I'll not consider my own. I assume everyone should do the same.
Woah, thanks for reminding me about that. (In the other Contest's 'Schulze Method', people would just vote for it at the top with "I made it" as the reason, and apparently the dude's code could take care of that somehow... However, I don't know how, so we'll just go with "rank all but yours") I'll put a warning up on the first post.

As noted in the readme, I too had that problem... I don't remember anywhere in the Rules that indicated contestants couldn't use something like JNGP or UMSWE (which makes maps unopenable in the normal WE, IIRC)... But that is an issue for the Judges, who need to see inside the map itself.

A Void, since this is your entry, can you take care of working this out with the judges?

What do I have to do? How am I suppose work this out? Aren't you the judge too??

PS: Fix the read-me, it's not trigger error. :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What do I have to do? How am I suppose work this out? Aren't you the judge too??
Lol, a question like that at this point in the Contest?... No, I'm not the Judge. Otherwise I wouldn't also be a contestant (and also, you'd see my name under the Hero Contest topic under... wait for it... "Judges". :p).

I am the Host. I facilitate the Contest, nothing more.

I don't know how to work it out; I've never used JNGP or UMSWE or whatever (vanilla FTW). Ask around; maybe those programs allow you to make a "regular-WE-openable" map-format... Or maybe (depending on the length of your code) you can provide the judges screenshots of your trigger, object & import editors. Ask Cosmicat; I know him & he has done work for me in JNGP before; he may have an idea (since his map is open-able).

Next time, we'll just have to put something in the Rules, specify "your map must be open-able by the Judges". Ya live & learn...

A Void said:
PS: Fix the read-me, it's not trigger error. :)
I don't know what it is, but that's the error code (paraphrased) that my WE gave me, so that's what I wrote. It's not really important, though.

Level 4
He used WE Unlimited, which adds custom GUI triggers and other things. The screenshot gave me a hunch; checked it out and yeah, I can open the map using WE Unlimited.

The following warning appears in the documentation for WE Unlimited:
WE Unlimited is compatible with all custom editors that don't use
local files in the Warcraft III directory including UMSWE.
I guarantee that you can open and edit every map created with
UMSWE or the ordinary WE with WE Unlimited.
However you will understand that if you use WEU only features in
your map in most cases the map can't be opened any more by
UMSWE or the ordinary WE.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to save the map in a format that can be opened without WEU as I have almost no experience actually using it. I will continue to research this topic on my own, but can't guarantee I'll be able to come up with anything more.

ETA: If the judges are willing to use an MPQ extractor to view the map's trigger/jass files (war3map.j, I think?), that should hopefully be enough to judge the "code".

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
If the judges are willing to use an MPQ extractor to view the map's trigger/jass files (war3map.j, I think?), that should hopefully be enough to judge the "code".

WEU injects *loads* of jass. Judges should just download WEU to read the triggers IMO

edit: Footman: Just read the readme.txt

Level 4
Heh, yeah, just noticed that after trying to follow my own suggestion. I guess using WEU to view the map is the best solution, then, assuming judges are willing to turn off their browsers' built-in security features and download the "malicious" installer.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
I think a link to all the pastebins in the zip file would be worthwhile, because I wrote about design and theme in my post, but didn't add such details in the map.

Here is my final judgment. Note that for each entry I have considered four
aspects of the design:
  • Ability Design: How are the hero's abilities? Points for uniqueness,
    balanceability, and synergy.
  • Racial Design: How does the hero fit with its race? Points for filling
    a gameplay role, army interaction, quality of theme, and current
    balance
  • Implementation Quality: How does the hero fit in with warcraft in its
    current state? Points for quality, bug-free coding, visual and audio
    effect level of detail, and reasonable power, counterplay, and
    complexity.
  • Auxiliary: In this extra section I give or take bonus point for things
    I (dis)like.

RankingUsernameHero NameNotes
1DalvengyrBanshee Queen

• + Your abilities are individually
    reasonably good, and there are no clear anti-patterns
    present. Frost Phase could be argued to provide an unclear
    use case (you maximise damage and cc by playing overly
    aggressive), but I like it, so you will not be infracted.
  • - Your hero provides 3 sources of
    slow and one source of stun. Balancing the spells overall
    would be unreasonable without some mechanic changes, for
    example changing frostwave to read "...damage, and further
    slowing already slowed units."

• - Banshee Queen is an undead utility
    and DPS mage with a major focus on ice... kind of like the
    lich.
  • - Frost Phase's stun duration is
    ridiculously overpowered.

• + Your implementation quality is (as
    usual) very high. You use libraries properly and comment
    profusely. You could argue it's a bit over-optimized, but I
    like it that way.
  • + Visual effects are really nice,
    especially on frostwave.

• + You have clear and useful
    testing triggers

2MythicDark Sorcerer

reasonably good and balanceable.
  • - Your abilities lack synergy.
    It's more accurate to say you have 4 individual abilities
    than a hero with 4 skills that provide a playstyle.

• - Undead already has a burst damage
    mage (lich). You didn't really fill any gap here.

• - You use GUI for your triggered
    abilities. Ew.
  • + You don't seem to have any leaks or
    instaceability issues. I would say you're pushing the
    limits of GUI by virtualizing a stack...

3Kybri0Archdruid

reasonably good and original.
  • - Fun Fails to Exceed Anti-Fun:
    Having spore clouds spread to nearby enemies if they die
    puts an unreasonable burden on the enemy player, because
    when your unit has this effect it's unreasonable to try and
    micro them perfectly. The result is that using this ability
    to provide maximum damage is unreasonably easy (which is
    really bad because of how OP the ability's recursive
    mechanic is) A good thing to keep in mind is that recursive
    mechanics in general are serious red flags for this kind of
    problem.
  • - There's no way to disable the
    channeling mortal coil ability. There obviously should be a
    way.

• - You're right that night elf lacks a
    tanky melee, front-line hero. But your abilities all point
    to "caster". You provide little melee support and have
    nothing that provides tankiness (compare this to avatar,
    divine shield, resurrection, spiked carapace, etc)
  • - Your abilities are all pretty
    overpowered. Level one fury of nature allows the Archdruid
    to kill green creep camps alone. Preserveration's stun
    duration is a joke. Spore Cloud was already discussed.

• - You mostly use basic wc3 abilities,
    and you kind of push them to their limits. Spore Cloud is
    pretty unreliable because of this.
    abilities. Ew.
  • + You don't seem to have any leaks or
    instaceability issues.

• + You have clear and useful
    testing triggers
  • - Preservation doesn't have a
    DISBTN
  • - Spore's animation is broken
    (doodad model)
  • - Misuse of active/passive icon
    on "ethereal".
  • - "Dream Link" (buff) has a
    broken tooltip.
  • - No tooltip indication of max
    range for the mortal coil ability.

4Wa666rNathrezim Agent

• + Your ultimate is generally nice and
    has an obvious use case.
  • - False Choice - Ineffective Choice:
    Deceive and Feeding providing bonus effects to nearby
    dreadlords provides additional power to players who do
    something you like thematically. Encouraging players to get
    a second hero as a dreadlord is a false choice because it
    deceives them into believing a dreadlord optimizes their
    choice to play the Nathrezim Agent, when in reality (1) the
    combination might not be a strong pair and (2) reducing the
    options a player has in selecting their heroes is only
    frustrating.
  • - Potential Fun Fails to Exceed Anti
    Fun: Drain Mana effects are always red flags for this one.
    Gaining mana by attacking is a good mechanic because it
    rewards basic attacks, but losing mana is a frustrating
    mechanic because it awards running away from the enemy. The
    synergy here with deceive is also a huge problem because...
  • - Deceive is a broken ability - even
    more broken than windwalk. Players are not even encouraged
    to reveal the enemy because Nathrezim Agents can simply
    disable the invisiblity, and optimize/counter the enemy's
    reveal mechanic. I suggest changing this ability entirely.

• +- An undead utility mage is a great
    idea, and they desparately need one, but I'm not convinced
    you actually made a utility mage. It looks to me like you
    have a hero with a utility ultimate, and no basic abilities
    to back that up. I suggest rethinking the abilities at
    level 1-5.

abilities. Ew.
  • - You leak things like unit groups
  • - Your abilities aren't MUI, nor MPI.
  • - Your deceive implementation is
    incorrect and will result in dreadlords getting +30% AS
    permanantly in some cases.

• - You don't have a note to type
    -Hero in game -_-
  • I actually had a really hard time deciding which hero
    was better between this and Kybri0's, because your
    ultimate is nice in-game. In the end his was more
    interesting overall and had fewer mistakes. I think you
    should play with this design again, because with some
    changes it can be interesting.
  • Recommended Reading: Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns
  • Recommended Reading: Hashtables and MUI

5RufusMarksman

present
  • + Your hero seems to have a focus on
    area of effect damage. Most values could be balanced to
    make the hero suitable for the game.
  • - Your hero lacks synergy between its
    abilities. There is a clear optimization for the order of
    casts, but not any clear interaction for how to combine
    abilities to be more powerful than any one individually.
    This is a minor point subtraction, however, because there
    is at least minor synergy in the form of an initiation,
    discussed more below.

• + Human lacks ranged attacking heroes
    that provide damage, and you fill this niche with Marksman.
  • +- Artic Arrow Provides an initiation
    tool, but the use in an army is a bit complex. Initiation
    is also present already in mountain king. I'll neither
    award nor take away points for this.

• - Your whole hero is triggered in GUI.
  • - Your abilities are neither MUI, nor
    MPI.
  • - You leak loads of objects like unit
    groups and locations.
  • - You use trigger sleep action which
    can be abused under unusual circumstances to give players
    an advantage.
  • - You use the "unit is attacked"
    event which is utterly broken and can be abused.

6DirefuryArcanist

reasonably good and original.
  • - Providing chaos damage type to a
    hero is really not recommended. You can't reason about why
    this is good, other than being "cool" - don't do this.

• - It's a human supportive spellcaster
    which fits pretty well in with the game.
  • - Starburst is pretty overpowered

• - Polymastery doesn't work properly
    which is a shame because the description sounds like a
    visually interesting ability. The flaw in your trigger is
    obvious, but it's a little too late now.
    abilities. Ew.
  • - You leak things like unit groups
    and locations.
  • - You use trigger sleep action in
    ways that can be abused by players.
  • - Your abilities are not MUI, nor
    MPI.

• - No obvious test triggers
  • - No tooltip explanation of "fel
    magic"
  • - No tooltip learn icon for
    polymastery
  • Recommended Reading: Hashtables and MUI

7Shadow FuryFire Knight

present
  • + Your hero seems to have a focus on
    attrition. Most values could be balanced to make the hero
    suitable for the game.
  • - Your hero lacks synergy between its
    abilities. There isn't really a clear way to use abilities
    in sequence to maximize their effect, although there is (at
    least) hell strikes + infernal meteor (improving likelihood
    of critical damage). This seems to be due to the fact that
    the fire knight's primary usage is utility: using abilities
    sparsely to maximise their effectivity, so this is a minor
    infraction.

• +- Orc doesn't particularly have a
    utility hero, but both the far seer and shadow hunter are
    ranged supportive mages. This should probably be an
    infraction but I'm feeling nice.

• - Your whole hero is triggered in GUI.
  • - Your abilities are neither MUI, nor
    MPI.
  • - You leak loads of objects like unit
    groups and locations.
  • - You use trigger sleep action which
    can be abused under unusual circumstances to give players
    an advantage.

8CosmicatArtificer

• + You have some fairly unique
    abilities which is nice to see. You obviously put a lot of
    thought into static shield. More on this later.
  • - Unclear Optimization: The casting
    time on Energize is so high that it does the opposite of
    what you expect from a movement based ability. This is a
    big problem in reasoning about use cases for the ability.
  • - Unclear Optimization: Static shield
    drains mana when damage is received, and it's unclear both
    to use, and to balance, when the shield should be turned on
    or off. For example, a frenzied abomination will drain
    loads of mana due to his attack speed, and the damage you
    return to it will be negligbile; having static shield on in
    this case does more harm than good. Reasoning about when to
    keep the shield on in a team fight isn't realistic.

• - The primary usage of the artificer
    is as a utility and dps ranged mage - a role the human race
    already has two of.

• + I don't immediately see any major
    leaks or instanceability issues.
  • - You rely on the "hero is attacked"
    event which is totally broken and allows players to abuse
    your hero.
  • - Charged bolt is essentially just
    chain lightning yet you recoded everything from scratch.

9Footman16Grand Marshall

• - There isn't really any underlying
    synergy. You have 4 seemingly melee abilities, but grand
    marshall's role as a hero is a bit cloudy. Is he
    supportive, providing bonuses to his army? Or a berzerker,
    diving deep into the enemy army to kill mages? Is he an
    anti-support, debuffing an entire enemy army? He has
    components of all these things, but his use cases are all
    weak.

• - A human melee fighter exists
    (mountain king) - what is grand marshall supposed to do that
    the MK doesnt?

• - Really, all of your abilities are
    not triggered. The trigger "Stomp cast" could be completely
    replaced by some standard AI. "Power Strike" could be
    replaced by directly using acid bomb.
  • - You leak a unit group in "Stomp
    Cast".

10DED1Pirate Captain

• - Burden of Knowledge: Players
    affected by Walk the Plank! have no idea how/why you were
    able to or not able to push their unit back. There's no way
    to reason about what's happening without reading the
    ability description.
  • - Unclear Optimization: Reasoning
    about which effect you desire to appear when you use Walk
    the Plank!, and deciding when to use it are pretty disjoint.
    There isn't a clear "I want to knock back, so I do X" use
    case - and this is a problem.
  • - False Choice - Ineffective Choice:
    Pirate Warfare having two disjoint efects based on whether
    the enemy is facing you or facing away is silly because
    there's no way to optimize this - it's more like two
    unrelated passives bundled into one, and it's only
    deceiving the player to think they can use the right one.
    Making parrots "difficult to handle" has no effect
    (advantage) on the game, and only makes it more annoying.
    If you can't reason about why a mechanic should be in the
    game, why make it? If you're trying to make the ability
    difficult to use, you've failed. It's easy to use - just
    annoying.
    Giving parrots the ability to steal an item is broken and
    wrong. Did you pull out a calculator and consider how much
    value this is worth in the average case? Not to mention
    extremely frustrating for the opponent.
  • - "Tell Rumor" is gamebreaking, and
    not melee. You need to *reason* about abilities before you
    implement them! explain to yoursel what it's for and why to
    make it. "it would be cool" isnt good enough. What's the
    use case? can it be adjusted to be balanceable?
  • - Unclear Optimization: Ghost Ship
    making units have a chance to turn into ghosts when
    attacking buildings is confusing because the ghosts are
    weaker than the base unit. Should I attack and get the
    gold, and risk losing my unit to a weaker version? Not fun!
    If skeletons were more powerful versions of the units,
    that's another story.

• - A pirate captain doesn't really fit
    in with wc3 in general, and his abilities are too sporadic
    to reason about filling any kind of niche.

• - Talking Bird (among other
    abilities) not MUI.
  • - You use trigger sleep action to
    time effects, and this can be abused by players.
  • - You have 50 triggers, loads of
    duplicate code, and you use GUI! Ew.

• - All abilities have lore
    snippets, which isn't melee.
  • - "Cursed Undead" buff has a fail
    tooltip
  • - Having two summons is generally
    a red flag. I suggest avoiding that in the future.
  • Suggested Reading: Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

11angkysaputraElven Shadow

• - Your abilities are not unique.
    Everything revolves around spawning loads of clones that
    share the Elven Shadow's two unoriginal passives. You
    walked into a furnace of unbalanceable concepts and falsely
    synergistic abilities.
  • - Power Without Gameplay: Not only is
    there not a clear way to play against the Elven Shadow,
    since attacking him or his illusions spawns more illusions,
    but there isn't really a clear way to play as the Elven
    Shadow either. All you have to do is right click, use one
    of two abilities at an arbitrary time, and your enemy will
    eventually kill himself.
  • - Unclear Optimization: Different
    types of shadows have different damage dealt/damage taken
    values, and there is no clear way to differentiate which
    ways you should use your abilities to optimize your damage.
    All a player can do is guess and hope things will work in
    their favor. Players shouldn't have to make a formal proof
    or do any calculations that require a calculator to know
    how to play their character.
  • - Fun Fails to Exceed Anti-Fun: Being
    some kind of super dota hero with loads of illusions and
    tricking your opponent into attacking the wrong guy feels
    fun - especially when he's punished even if he makes the
    correct choice (illusions deal damage, and you spawn
    illusions yourself). But there's an enormous discrepancy
    between this, and the *unfun* your opponent experiences,
    and that's a major problem.
  • - Non-Reliability: Your hero relies
    on some pretty small RNG values to be effective, especially
    in the early game. It's a terrible experience to be playing
    Elven Shadow at level 3, try to expo, and your army dies
    because you didn't proc as many illusions as you hoped for.

• - Your hero's primary use case is
    dueling with another hero or army to optimize his spawn and
    tricking capability. You're a melee combat hero. Kind of
    like demon hunter and warden. You've failed to fill any
    role in the NE race.

• - Your whole hero is triggered in GUI
    and you have untitled triggers, empty triggers, and no
    comments
  • - You rely on the "hero is attacked"
    event which is totally broken and allows players to abuse
    your hero.
  • - Hardly anything is triggered at all
    and you rely on (poor) wc3 mechanics to make your hero
  • - Your hero is straight up
    overpowered

12A VoidGoblin Sappers

• - Your abilities are not unique. You
    essentially just rename a few melee abilities and put them
    into a package that's been done before. See: Goblin Techies
  • - You have no synergy. There is no
    effective combination of abilities that provide an
    interesting use case.

• - Your hero doesn't fill a role in
    any race because it doesn't have a role. It doesn't even
    have a basic attack, which I will dare to say is not
    reasonable for any melee hero.

• - You have storm bolt, goblin land
    mines, phoenix fire, and kaboom. No triggers.

Final Ranking:

1st
Dalvengyr (Above)

2nd
Mythic (Above)

3rd
Kybri0 (Above)

4th
Wa666r (Above)

5th
Rufus (Above)

6th
Direfury (Above)

7th
Shadow Fury (Above)

8th
Cosmicat (Above)

9th
Footman16 (Above)

10th
DED1 (Above)

11th
angkysaputra (Above)

12th
A Void (Above)

Last edited:
I'd disagree with some of your points but meh, it's your decision.

For example, I explained what his role is, he is the Human's version of the Death Knight/Demon Hunter. Could you please explain how his "use cases are all weak". I don't understand what the point is about the Racial Design - "A human melee fighter already exists" and? There are two melee Human fighters Paladin and Mountain King. We weren't supposed to reinvent the wheel here.

About the triggers. They're are two abilties with triggers attached to them. The contest said that two abilities had to be "trigger-enhanced". Just because something could be done without triggers does not make it any less invalid because it is triggered. The whole reason they are triggered is because of the contests requirements.

As for the testing triggers? -spawn -level

Anyway, like I said you're the reviewer but you're not very detailed about your review. Also synergy? I can understand that there is some synergy between hero abilities but just look at the Paladin, how on Earth do his abilities synergise?

Anyway. I appreciate your feedback.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Please note I have edited my previous reply to include all 12 reviews, and my final ranking table.
Well, I just read your review of mine & decided to comment... I must say, I'm surprised (yet gratified) I made it into your personal Top 3... You barely had a handful of "+"s. I'm a bit afraid to see what you said about the others... :<

I'd disagree with some of your points but meh, it's your decision.
Ah, the glorious "vote discussion". Lol, I do it too. : )

Footman16 said:
... Also synergy? I can understand that there is some synergy between hero abilities but just look at the Paladin, how on Earth do his abilities synergise?
Um, well, I hate to play 'devil's advocate', but I'll beat Cosmicat to the punch and say "Yeah, the Paladin is pretty self-synergistic."

Think about it. He's got Holy Light, which is a pretty potent Heal... For all allies except himself. In turn, he can then choose Divine Shield (which conveniently only makes him invulnerable), forcing enemies to attack the very allies he can heal.

Also Divine Shield & Resurrection. Guys last longer (so can be healed more/better), and when the guys are finally killed? Bring 'em back.

Level 24
Hero

Deceive and Feeding providing bonus effects to nearby
dreadlords provides additional power to players who do
something you like thematically. Encouraging players to get
a second hero as a dreadlord is a false choice because it
deceives them into believing a dreadlord optimizes their
choice to play the Nathrezim Agent, when in reality (1) the
combination might not be a strong pair and (2) reducing the
options a player has in selecting their heroes is only
frustrating.
I see your point. I wanted to do something new that fits in well with the lore of the Dreadlords - such as their brotherhood-like bond. Though this choice does have its faults, I believe that the encouragement is needed to pick a Dreadlord, as he is an insanely underused hero; always overshadowed by the Death Knight and Lich combo. It lets the player try out something new with the confidence that the Dreadlord wouldn't have been a totally wrong call as a first or second hero.

Potential Fun Fails to Exceed Anti
Fun: Drain Mana effects are always red flags for this one.
Gaining mana by attacking is a good mechanic because it
rewards basic attacks, but losing mana is a frustrating
mechanic because it awards running away from the enemy. The
synergy here with deceive is also a huge problem because...
I somewhat agree and disagree with you. I actually found it fun to try to remain undetected as long as possible by feeding of the enemies mana. I am confused about how the mechanics rewards running away? I would've said it encourages to stay in the battle longer to quickly eat up the enemies' mana.

Deceive is a broken ability - even
more broken than windwalk. Players are not even encouraged
to reveal the enemy because Nathrezim Agents can simply
disable the invisiblity, and optimize/counter the enemy's
reveal mechanic. I suggest changing this ability entirely.
I am not sure if that is completely true. I mean, yes it is very powerful to have an invisible hero attacking you, but the rate at which mana is drained from him balances it out.
The hero is also made a short-ranged attacker for the purpose of balancing him with the ability. With this short range he cannot really snipe many enemies, and he must remain very near the enemy to deal any real damage, or drain mana from "Feeding."

I actually had a really hard time deciding which hero
was better between this and Kybri0's, because your
ultimate is nice in-game. In the end his was more
interesting overall and had fewer mistakes. I think you
should play with this design again, because with some
changes it can be interesting.

Would a cookie help change your mind between deciding? ;) Haha I'm kidding. Thanks for the detailed reviews though.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
he is the Human's version of the Death Knight/Demon Hunter.

Death Knight and Demon Hunter are very different heroes. Death Knight is a tanky utility hero, and demon hunter is a duelist.

The human version of death knight is the paladin.

A human version of demon hunter would have been better, but I would argue that your hero is not a duelist.

Lastly, the demon hunter is a pretty poor hero design. Comparing your hero to melee ones is generally good when starting off, but use your instincts as well to make your own decisions.

Could you please explain how his "use cases are all weak".

I described a set of hero playstyles that I could see your hero fitting into, but your skillset didn't fully commit to any of them. That means he had weak use cases for a few playstyles, rather than a strong use case for one or two.

I don't understand what the point is about the Racial Design - "A human melee fighter already exists" and? There are two melee Human fighters Paladin and Mountain King. We weren't supposed to reinvent the wheel here.

The paladin isn't really a fighter. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, but adding units to a game should fill a role. Consider what the game was like before and after blizzard added each unit to frozen throne. What did human lack without arcane towers, and how did their addition help them? You can do the same for brood war. I would argue that human is unchanged with the addition of your hero.

They're are two abilties with triggers attached to them. The contest said that two abilities had to be "trigger-enhanced". Just because something could be done without triggers does not make it any less invalid because it is triggered. The whole reason they are triggered is because of the contests requirements.

Sorry, but your implementation is worse in this case than if you just extended the base ability in the object editor. You should try doing new things in the trigger editor.

As for the testing triggers? -spawn -level

Why should I have to guess that?

you're not very detailed about your review.

I disagree.

I can understand that there is some synergy between hero abilities but just look at the Paladin, how on Earth do his abilities synergise?

This has been addressed by Kybri0, but I would really encourage you to consider synergy yourself instead of looking to wc3 heroes. They're 12 years old and the breadth of knowledge in terms of design has changed. We can better define what makes a hero than we could 12 years ago.

Well, I just read your review of mine & decided to comment... I must say, I'm surprised (yet gratified) I made it into your personal Top 3... You barely had a handful of "+"s. I'm a bit afraid to see what you said about the others... :<

All my reviews have a lot of minuses. I didn't just count up + and - to decide who wins though. Having leakless and MUI abilities was a major advantage here - something loads of entries failed to do.

Place banner behind enemy hero, power strike him to low health when he tries to run, banner's stomp finishes him off.

So, use damaging abilities to do damage? How does banner's periodic 7 second cooldown get optimized? You've just described a way to use it with 1/6 efficiency.

Though this choice does have its faults, I believe that the encouragement is needed to pick a Dreadlord, as he is an insanely underused hero; always overshadowed by the Death Knight and Lich combo.

Yes, the dreadlord is underpowered, but in this case you've introduced an anti-pattern by trying to balance him indirectly. Your hero would be a stronger concept without any notion of dreadlord interaction, other than in lore.

It lets the player try out something new with the confidence that the Dreadlord wouldn't have been a totally wrong call as a first or second hero.

But balancing the interaction is impossible because either the aura is too strong and dreadlord is the only viable pick in combination, or the aura is too weak and you only deceive players to choose it. See: Power Without Gameplay

I actually found it fun to try to remain undetected as long as possible by feeding of the enemies mana. I am confused about how the mechanics rewards running away? I would've said it encourages to stay in the battle longer to quickly eat up the enemies' mana.

Fun vs Anti Fun is about fun for the player vs anti-fun for the opponent. It encourages the enemy to run away since he has no other reasonable way to fight you.

I mean, yes it is very powerful to have an invisible hero attacking you, but the rate at which mana is drained from him balances it out.

Can you mathematically reason about the rate of mana drained being balanced? It's not really possible because of the way mana is in wc3. Either you drain too much and the efficient use case is to walk around with 0 mana all the time, or you drain too little and you're permanently invisible.

I actually have a hard time reasoning against this, but I encourage you to try and calculate something.

----

That's all I'll respond to questions about my reviews here. If you have any other specific questions feel free to PM/VM me.

Ok, all I'll say is versatility. You keep talking about him not having one or two main playstyles but didn't you think that that might've been the point? Look at most of the Heroes abilties they are not all tailored towards one purpose. They generally have a role and I feel that my hero does what he was supposed to do, kill heroes and buff allies to help in that pursuit. How you accomplish that is up to you within the confines of his abilities, I gave you one example of how two of his abilities could be used. Another use could be Power Strike then use the ally speed boost to surround and finish off. In short: He does what I he is supposed to do - Kill Heroes.

I don't understand what you're saying with the triggers. Your reviewing the triggers - do they work, do they do what they're supposed to do, are they MUI etc etc? If the answer is yes then that's what matters not what they're specifically doing.

Level 4
You need not reply, and I certainly don't expect you to agree, but I do want to highlight this:

I would really encourage you to consider synergy yourself instead of looking to wc3 heroes. They're 12 years old and the breadth of knowledge in terms of design has changed. We can better define what makes a hero than we could 12 years ago.

If I was making a unit for a better-designed game than WC3, I would have made a very different unit. As would we all, I hope. I like straightforward designs that are easy to use and to play against, letting players make meaningful choices without having to consider detailed information in the moment. I like diversity in function, and giving everyone a wide variety of strategic and tactical choices at all times. For the most part, I do approve of the design axioms LoL is founded on. Zileas' ideas provide a good baseline of heuristic measures and targets, especially when creating a fresh system.

However, the design of Warcraft III tends to emphasize racial themes over diversity: each race has a radically different distribution of hero types, regeneration mechanics, macro, and unit composition. Tier systems and unit roles are consistent enough across races, but there are still outliers—Spell Breakers and Faerie Dragons do not have identical roles in gameplay, nor do Banshees and Sorceresses have very much in common at all, outside of the "secondary caster" descriptor. The Undead and Night Elves have answers to Tauren and Knight units, but not equivalents. The Undead have exactly one siege unit, while each other race has two. Need I go on?

Existing spells such as Flame Strike, Mana Shield, Banish, Spirit Link, and Stone Form can often backfire on players who use them when the best move is not clear. They can also turn the tide of a battle that might otherwise be lost. Units firing uphill have a chance to miss that is not documented anywhere in the gameplay itself, yet everyone must know what that chance is; an entire volley of uphill attacks may do nothing—or they may destroy an enemy force regardless. Arbitrary risks and rewards, chance, obfuscation, frustration, and overall what I would normally insist is bad design seems to have been intentionally reinforced through several of Warcraft III's core mechanics.

Is this an excuse for poor design choices? Not on its own, no. However, it is worth considering that sometimes the balance of an ability (and the ability to balance that ability without having to completely remake the hero concept) depends not only on what the player can do with it, but what an opposing player can do against it. Yes, an ability like Static Shield makes it difficult to spontaneously compute whether its use is "optimal" during an active skirmish, especially when the stresses of micromanaging other units pile up. It is also difficult for an opponent to micromanage units against such an ability, and similar stresses pile up on that side. Fortunately, the fact that Charged Bolt is much easier to use than Chain Lightning or Forked Lightning (having a more predictable path and more even damage distribution than the former, and better overall range than the latter) and the "cast-and-forget" nature of Lightning Spire each contribute a small quality-of-life improvement to the hero's overall utility.

If you feel up to the task, I would recommend you study more than one design philosophy, and perhaps run some of your own tests until you understand what the specific problems are with using certain Jass natives in certain contexts. I think you would find there is a bit more nuance than merely a list of "never"s.

Kazeon

Level 33
Dude, relax, that is just one review. You don't need to pour all of your power to resist his review :O

I believe any review, aside from code/trigger related one, they are all kind of subjective, they are based on personal opinion, not really. But you can't make a very true review after all. Because everybody has their own point of view, their own perspective, which is probably different from yours.

If you can't take your first review, I'm afraid you will need to resist all of the rest reviews, it's wasting time you know. Especially if you wrote 3 or 4 paragraphs which are likely do not affect his mind at all L O LTM

Personally, I have a bunch of preventions against his review. And it will boost my score anyway. But I will just let it go. Who knows? Maybe he got a better perspective than me?

Anyway, I hope I didn't write the story for nothing :( Judges should have the link to our pastebins, shouldn't they?

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Dude, relax, that is just one review. You don't need to pour all of your power to resist his review :O

I believe any review, aside from code/trigger related one, they are all kind of subjective, they are based on personal opinion, not really. But you can't make a very true review after all. Because everybody has their own point of view, their own perspective, which is probably different from yours.

If you can't take your first review, I'm afraid you will need to resist all of the rest reviews, it's wasting time you know. Especially if you wrote 3 or 4 paragraphs which are likely do not affect his mind at all L O LTM

Personally, I have a bunch of preventions against his review. And it will boost my score anyway. But I will just let it go. Who knows? Maybe he got a better perspective than me?

Anyway, I hope I didn't write the story for nothing :( Judges should have the link to our pastebins, shouldn't they?

I think a lot of people are getting stuck on one of three things:

* I'm mean
* I state opinion in absolutes (it's intentional and a sign of good writing, I encourage you all to try it)
* My design notes were the most important measure of their final score (it wasn't. implementation quality was the most important)

Level 4

Please do take me at my word that changing his mind was not my goal.

I predict most people will provide short, broad statements about their gut feelings, providing minimal justification, and nobody will scrutinize.

I think a lot of people are getting stuck on one of three things:

* I'm mean
* I state opinion in absolutes (it's intentional and a sign of good writing, I encourage you all to try it)

If a lot of people are interpreting your writing as mean, you are either failing to communicate intent (a sign of bad writing) or actually being mean (in which case a lot of people are well-justified in feeling slighted).

Riddling one's list of opinions with "I think" and "perhaps" can often be a waste of space; in most contexts, the fact that one is stating an opinion is obvious and implicit. There is much to be said in favor of directness and efficiency.

Having witnessed the merits of this style for myself, I have seen fit to adopt it as part of a teaching moment for you. You are welcome.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
If a lot of people are interpreting your writing as mean, you are either failing to communicate intent (a sign of bad writing) or actually being mean (in which case a lot of people are well-justified in feeling slighted).

People are emotional about work they produce. Text communicates empathy poorly. I am mean.

Riddling one's list of opinions with "I think" and "perhaps" can often be a waste of space; in most contexts, the fact that one is stating an opinion is obvious and implicit. There is much to be said in favor of directness and efficiency.

Indeed, and in your case it's obvious you recognize that, but many people handle scrutiny more poorly. It's a life skill, and I won't baby people to make friends ;)

People poorly understand my hero, first of all the hero is a harassment type, it has no attack and it best used for hit & run tactics with abilities. He has a considerable low amount of HP, due to this it is advised to keep him away from danger. Due to realistic and animation-related issues, I have disabled his attack.

There are about 5, 4 new triggers created for this hero. Ability triggers include Kaboom!, Light The Fuse!. The other ones were essential to make Blizzard experience and testing.

AI, I am using a custom edited AI script that allows computer players to train Goblin Sapper.

Race, The closest race in terms of lore was Orc, Orc race was made from Orcs, Tauren, Trolls. Goblins are neutral to Orcs depending on the lore of Warcraft franchise. Goblins even aided the horde in Warcraft II. People who think that putting Goblin Sapper in Orc race was a bad choice, are morons.

Abilities:

Cluster Rocket - Stun, Damage.
Goblin Land Mine - Ward, Explosive Damage.
Light The Fuse! - "Attack", Damage
Kaboom! - Suicide, Explosive Damage.

Abilities have been balanced, they compensate the hit points of Goblin Sapper.

I don't care about the reviews, I hardly take notes from them. I am posting this to correct some mistakes.

[/hidden]

Theme: The link to Human is dubious. The abilities are loosely related in that they all directly effect the armor/movement/attack stats of units.
8/10

Role:
8/10 Each ability affects unit stats but there is no much opportunity for stacking other than to spam all your abilities.

Balance: Banner of the Alliance is not well suited to a melee hero. The Banner is so weak that a few hits will kill it. A more suitable implementation would be to have it as an activated aura. Otherwise there were no issues.
9/10

Creativity: I've seen all of this before. I might give more points but even the implemetations are not much different than many spells in the database.
6/10

Coding: Meets the requirements.
10/10

Awesomeness:
2/5

Total:

Hmm, I can pretty much agree with this, could you provide a statement about the Awesomeness level? It would help me get an idea of what to do for any future designs.

About the abilities not-stacking, why would they need to stack? Not many heroes abilities do stack.

I'm surprised you gave me that much for creativity, I think you're being a bit kind but in truth my hero was aimed at the Theme, role and balance aspects of this judging which is where I was hoping to score the most points which I guess I have with you so all I need to do is work towards 10s.

I'm happy with that result. Your judging is very clear and makes sense which, is why I am having the dispute with Cokemonkey11 not because I'm taking it personally (I'm really just happy to be participating in the contest regardless of the result) but because your judging is not... accurate I think would be the best way to put it.

Hmm, I can pretty much agree with this, could you provide a statement about the Awesomeness level? It would help me get an idea of what to do for any future designs.

About the abilities not-stacking, why would they need to stack? Not many heroes abilities do stack.

I'm surprised you gave me that much for creativity, I think you're being a bit kind but in truth my hero was aimed at the Theme, role and balance aspects of this judging which is where I was hoping to score the most points which I guess I have with you so all I need to do is work towards 10s.

I'm happy with that result. Your judging is very clear and makes sense which, is why I am having the dispute with Cokemonkey11 not because I'm taking it personally (I'm really just happy to be participating in the contest regardless of the result) but because your judging is not... accurate I think would be the best way to put it.

Awesomeness level is based entirely on how I felt playing the hero. Did it excite me? If this were an AoS would I scramble to pick it before someone else because I enjoy it so much? Is it engaging beyond simple point-click attacking?

Stacking would give a second level of thought to your hero. For instance you could have multiple effects based on what order spells are cast. I am reminded of the Invoker from DotA. Right now the best bet is to jump into a pile of enemies and spam abilities.

Kazeon

Level 33

Huh? Because he gave you high scores?

His scoring is clearly inaccurate, and weak. Unbelievable that he is failed to spot some blatant fatal bugs, glitches, mistakes, and imbalances in most entries and give them high scores or even perfect 10/10. And most of all, he doesn't have a good coding/triggering experience.

@Kam:
I suggest you to spend more times with those entries. Prove me wrong.

Huh? Because he gave you high scores?

I wouldn't consider the score particularly high by average. I came 7th out of 12 which isn't that good.

BUT... he did not give some weird self-inspired connotation of how to judge and claim it to be the God's honest truth or contradict himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.