• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #28?

Which modelling contest themes would you participate in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Woohoo! My 2nd favorite Contest on the Hive is back!

I know I'm not participating, but I voted anyway (so feel free to remove my vote if we're doing that thing we talked about earlier). I threw down for 'Tier 1', 'Portable Defense', 'Builders', & 'Defensive'. These, I think, offer the greatest room for creative stuff that'll definitely fill a gap in-game (see some of the descriptions for them in previous threads!). Still, looks like I'm losing out to 'Wizards'... Meh, could be worse. Someone can still make a Troll 'wizard'; never enough of those!

(Yes, I think about everything in terms of "how can Trolls come out of this" xD)

@Frankster: I really don't think Hayate was being a jerk, man. He was merely expressing excitement. Hayate is one of the humblest guys I know; "being a douche because he won the last one" is about as unlikely as Hitler hugging Jews.

WizardsContestants are to create a unit or a hero who's main form of combat is magic. The model needs to clearly show that the unit or hero in question is a mage or wizard of some kind or another. "Spellblades" or other mixed combat users are also allowed, as long as the focus on the 'magic' part of their arsenal is as big or bigger than the focus on their other form of combat.

Does psionics count as magic?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I was planning on making a post-apocalyptic scy-fy psionic hero unit with some punk wibes, but I'm not sure if that is bending the definition of wizard a little too much? xD
Not even a question. Psionics is just wizardry of the mind, after all; the 'wizards' of a punk/urban-fantasy/cyber-setting would be the psykers and what-not.

One thing I like about these Contests is that once a Theme is picked, people can get really creative with the idea; they have to, so we don't have a half-dozen Gandalf-clones. So bring on the urban-fantasy psykers, the steampunk artificers, the tribal medicine mon, the neanderthalic shamans, and yes, the medieval Gandalf-clones. : )

Level 42
Not even a question. Psionics is just wizardry of the mind, after all; the 'wizards' of a punk/urban-fantasy/cyber-setting would be the psykers and what-not.

One thing I like about these Contests is that once a Theme is picked, people can get really creative with the idea; they have to, so we don't have a half-dozen Gandalf-clones. So bring on the urban-fantasy psykers, the steampunk artificers, the tribal medicine mon, the neanderthalic shamans, and yes, the medieval Gandalf-clones. : )

Agree

Level 39
I was planning on making a post-apocalyptic scy-fy psionic hero unit with some punk wibes, but I'm not sure if that is bending the definition of wizard a little too much? xD

I'd say as long as his powers are "magical" and not some kind of sci-fi implant/augment I can't see why he shouldn't qualify as a Wizard. But I guess this is mostly up to the judge.

Also, I know the poll isn't finished yet but do we have an idea on when the contest is starting? I hope it won't be too late in August since I'm starting my studies in the beginning of September. It would be nice to be able to finish the model before my studies.

Level 50
Yeah, I am busy this month so I would like to know when is it going to start?
Also is geomerging approved? I mean not 'real' geomerging, but coping the vertices from the in game models to create custom mesh, cause that's how the mesh gets built in mdlvis.

Level 25
Yeah, I am busy this month so I would like to know when is it going to start?
Also is geomerging approved? I mean not 'real' geomerging, but coping the vertices from the in game models to create custom mesh, cause that's how the mesh gets built in mdlvis.

I guess every kind of modelling is approved as long as it fits Warcraft 3 and it is in .mdx format.

Level 51
I'd say as long as his powers are "magical" and not some kind of sci-fi implant/augment I can't see why he shouldn't qualify as a Wizard. But I guess this is mostly up to the judge.

Also, I know the poll isn't finished yet but do we have an idea on when the contest is starting? I hope it won't be too late in August since I'm starting my studies in the beginning of September. It would be nice to be able to finish the model before my studies.

Second that. The first part as well as the starting date. Mid august would be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.