• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK - Poll!

Vote for the entries!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
attachment.php

the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
6.png

poll.png

r169_457x256_14397_Monaco_2012_2d_illustration_city_steampunk_car_race_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon

Entries unable to reach the top 3 will be regarded as honorable mentions and
will be rewarded with 5 reputation for participating in the contest.

judges.png

• Eubz
  • Misha
  • Fingolfin
The judges may not vote on the poll as they have already "voted" when they passed judgement to our very own math guy, Kyrbi0. The votes here will be accumulated and added to the calculations. Which will be the final piece of the judgement process. So common members, enjoy participating in the judgement.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.​

entries.png

Freddyk http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2531732-post146.html
Pvt.Toma http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2534069-post160.html
Grendel http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2534818-post174.html
Blood Raven http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2539072-post198.html
icewolf055 http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2540281-post200.html
MiniMage http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2543604-post212.html
HappyCockroach http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2544150-post234.html

At the bottom of this post is the testmap. I find that to be the most fair and easiest way for you people to test out the models.

You have two weeks, 14 days. Until this poll closes.

Attachments

• user160036_pic59500_1342547064.png
    user160036_pic59500_1342547064.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,271
  • ContestTestmap.w3x
    722.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Why? The poll is literally arranged in the same manner that the entries are.
If you're unsure what entry a model is, you can always just click the model below and get a link to the final result.

Then there's a testmap you can download to test them out ingame.
No no no, I don't mean that. The organization is perfect & the test map (I'm sure, once I check it out) is great. I just mean... Well, I guess I was expecting certain trends to be self-manifest, and they're not.

Level 22
I didn't vote yet but here are some comments on my favourite entries:

- Pvt.Toma's is very original and i like the idea very much. Unfortunately there are some flaws in the execution, especially animations and particles.

- Grendel's is the best model (mesh+wrap) technically speaking, too bad animations are not at the same level of quality (i know it's hard!)

- MiniMage's is super cool :) However copy/paste a part of my model into yours seems not very fair in a contest... (but i have to admit it fits perfectly!)

- Pvt.Toma's is very original and i like the idea very much. Unfortunately there are some flaws in the execution, especially animations and particles.

- Grendel's is the best model (mesh+wrap) technically speaking, too bad animations are not at the same level of quality (i know it's hard!)

- MiniMage's is super cool :) However copy/paste a part of my model into yours seems not very fair in a contest... (but i have to admit it fits perfectly!)
Yeah I noticed you both have the same golden ironwork border and use the same triple alpha layer material , even the geoset animation color use the same setting.It is very unlikely that you both had the same idea.

Level 26

Oh yeah, right. Makes both models fit better together with each other though. ;I
I'm gonna take a long break from participating in contests after this is done. XD

Voted for your model, because goblins.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I did my thoughts (& the Voting Calculations, which are "all caught up", MiniMage) in Alphabetical order, so bleh.

Blood Raven
My first thought is "neat, a rolling crossbow". My second, though is "huh"; that Steam Tank texture, while wrapped "well", is just so glaring & confusing; it's a tad overused in general, but especially in your model. That being said, moving to animations... And that Attack anim is just a little off. "Looping" I think is the problem? Perhaps the map-maker could've changed how fast he shot... But even if he did & it matched up, the Attacks were still lacking in "twang" or "force"; not enough energy to launch a ballista[/b] glaive rock cogwheel (???) that speed & distance. Also, you forgot a Camera so the Portrait would show up. I did like the spinning of the cogwheels during his Alternate animations, and the Morph was creative. Just, yeah.[r]
Freddyk[c]Y'know, there was a simple charm to yours that I really enjoyed. I feel like the idea was definitely unique (hovercraft/swamp skiff-type floatie), Goblins made it even better. The little bits were nice (jiggling smokestack, giant fan, the little dude-in-the-gun-chair rocking around). I don't know if it's possible, but it would've been cool to have the little-Goblin-shooter dude swivel in his chair to hit targets (i.e. Bone_Turret on the shooter?) rather than have the whole dang ship turn to face. :< That being said, very cool. A little "dissonance" (in terms of the floaty balloon & the steampunk parts seemingly stapled on), but cool.
//technically I felt this should've been Amphibious like the Naga, but meh. That's more an issue of presentation, not your model.[r]
-Grendel[c]The Mesh? The Textures? The Style? The Steampunk? The GENTLEMAN? The Excellent. However, I've already sung your praises, & I'm trying to be relatively quick, so I'll say just a few things. Your animations (yeah, I know it's not the most fun, or easy either) were just lacking. The loopingness of the Attack was off-putting (part of it was the super-high attack/movespeed in the test map, see below), but mainly the lack of animations; no fancy Spells (needed for a Hero), no Portrait-Talks, and no nice Death (just a big, admittedly cool, explosion). This model nailed it in many ways, but I would hope to see some improvements.[r]
HappyCockroach[c]This was a weird one, to be sure. Bonus points for creativity & uniqueness... But some lost points for "man, that's weird". It just has a hard time meshing, to me, with other models in-game; it's super-thin (rather, has very little "presence" so it's hard to notice), exacerbated by it's muted palette of colors... It has strange proportions, some of the animations are off (Attack was super-fast & looping (might be a test-map issue, though)... Wings disappeared while he was flying but reappeared when he stood still), and I didn't get to test your neat Cannibalize anims. :< That being said, quite an interesting twist; a mechanical Ghoul-like Proboscis Slayer dude. Clockwerk Horror indeed. :p I liked the gears, the heart, and the method of attack (unique). Overall, it was just really really really unique; both for good and for bad.[r]
icewolf055[c]This entry was quite a pleasant surprise to play with... Really quite interesting. Like HappyCockroach's model it's uniqueness is a little off-putting (I mean, it's just so... weird! Like a mobile axe&cannon-wielding Segway with a face xD), but at the same time, the mesh work is solid & the animations are great! The textures are good too. I still don't like those flags. And I would've liked to see more Spell anims (but your "cannon-shot" was perfect, very visceral, and the "bladestorm" was nice too). There was no way to test his Death animation because he was just too dang strong (MiniMage!! D:...). I even really liked the Portrait. That face was just great.[r]
MiniMage[c]Wow. You had full control over the TestMap, so I was surprised to see your own model represented in that way... Ah dannae, it was just huge to me. That being said, the model was just as good in-game as promised in screenshots; the animations were smooth (good job Kellym0), the mesh was clear & predatory, the Goblin was cute, and it all worked together. My only complaints are just how BIG everything was (including the SFX), and how the Tinker Tank texture, though well-wrapped, is just a little bit confusing & bland-erizing to me. Good work.[r]
Pvt.Toma[c]Overall I wasn't entirely impressed, unfortunately. Again, the Steam Tank texture is just a lot to handle all over the place like that... His animations (Walk esp, but Attack & Spell too) were just very jerky (not like "robotic-good-jerky", or "tasty-smoked-jerky", but "animations-still-need-work-jerky". :<...), and lacked a lot of oomph. I'm grateful for the dust clouds & sound fx for every footstep (though it was waaaay too much given his in-game movespeed (testmap issues)), but it was almost too imposing. I will say, though; the Gnome on the inside was creative; the morphing was neat, the morphed Spell anims were fun, and the Death was a fantastic idea. Keep working on it.

Overall, I think the Test Map was a good idea... However, there really needed to be a way to 're-create' contestants' models, since I accidentally lost a few & couldn't test them without restarting. :< Also, I know this is your first time setting something like this up, and to be honest (with my experience in the last Modelling Contest) it's a pain to check all the details... some of the dudes really seemed messed up due to their in-game values (i.e. BloodRaven's Cross-Cog-Bow moved in it's "Stand-Alternate" anims... -Grendel's Steam-Gentleman attacked SUPER fast being such a high-level... etc)

In the end, I voted for -Grendel, though I really wanted to vote for Freddyk & MiniMage in terms of "usefulness & in-gameness", and icewolf055 & HappyCockroach in terms of "unique & interesting".

Last edited:
Level 26
I basically configured models as I figured they were supposed to be configured. Blood Raven had no bone_Turret that allowed it rotation to aim like a tower. Thus I assumed that the alternate was more of a armored alternative or something.

Grendels hero and heroes in general just had its stats increased to ensure it wouldn't die. It's an easy fix though. Just double click the hero and lower the stats and you're good. As for the scaling, I suppose I scaled it in a non-blizzard way and made it so that the goblin on the sub was as big as the goblin in Freddyk's model. Oh and it's a gnome inside Pvt.Toma's model, not a goblin. ;P

Interesting to see such an indepth explanation for a vote. My reasoning was just that Freddyks model was cool as shit and had goblins, so obviously he would get my vote.

Last edited:
Level 22
Kyrbi0, actually the turret IS assigned to Bone_Turret (and Bone_Chest and Bone_Head) but as far as i know it does nothing if the unit is not a building, unfortunately.

Maybe it can be achieved through triggers using "align torso / align head" function, that's why i provided Bone_Chest and Bone_Head too if one wants to try.

Also i didn't have the time to work more on this model for the contest, but i intend to improve it a bit (mostly make it amphibian) before submitting it to the resource section.

Level 26
Kyrbi0, actually the turret IS assigned to Bone_Turret (and Bone_Chest and Bone_Head) but as far as i know it does nothing if the unit is not a building, unfortunately.

Maybe it can be achieved through triggers using "align torso / align head" function, that's why i provided Bone_Chest and Bone_Head too if one wants to try.

Also i didn't have the time to work more on this model for the contest, but i intend to improve it a bit (mostly make it amphibian) before submitting it to the resource section.

Or you could just give it the robo-tank mode spell the goblin tinker has to the unit. Make the alternate a building and make the transition almost instant with a minor bonus. The ability could be alled "Anchored" or something and bam, rotating guns. It would be a pretty neat idea if you're planning to set up a blockade on the sea or something. XD

You'd anchor quickly, and de-anchor just as quickly.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44

Aw dang. Well, at least you tried. And like I said, that was a minor complaint, barely even worth mentioning. : )

After a lot of thought I have to go with -Grendel's submission. While all of the models are great I feel -Grendel's fits the theme the most and is well executed on top of that.

Freddyk and MiniMage - These models feels more like "standard" goblin machinery than actual Steampunk.

Pvt.Toma - Kinda the same as above but with gnomes instead.

Blood Raven - I'm not sure a jet engine fits the theme, at all actually. The construction of the model itself also seems a bit forced, like its trying almost too hard to be steampunk.

icewolf055 - A magically animated steel soldier. Love the animations and the model is Warcrafty, but not really that steampunk-ish.

HappyCockroach - Nightmarish with some omen and darkness smeared on top. A really cool model and the name fits very well. But the few gears rotating here and there is not enough to make it steampunk.

Level 26
Aren't the goblins a bit steam-punkish? :p just saying :)
Same thing with gnomes but combined :p

I would summarize goblins and gnomes as two polar opposites within the genre.
Goblins have unstable machinery, unstable steampunk. Pointy, chaotic, destructive to both the enemy and themselves. They rather leave a huge crater and destroy the enemy and themselves than accept defeat. Goblins always rush things, which is one of the many reasons why some contraptions might just explode for that reason, goblins also have a habit of venturing into new territory without regard for consequences while gnomes plan ahead a little more. Gnomes have stable steampunk. Functional. Round. Safe. At least to the user.

Level 26
Fantasy machinery is not necessarly steampunk.That's what I dislike about this contest.People vote steampunk and join steampunk but didn't actualy know what this is.

There's not just one kind of steampunk. It's like having a music contest and requesting it to be metal.
There's multiple kinds of metal and if you leave it open to interpretation, you get a lot of different results.

Same with steampunk. We got a lot of different models. We had fun. I don't see the problem.

The goblin shredder for example, is using steam. The goblin maneuvers the contraption while sitting on a furnace,
which heats up a box of water on the back, powering the machine. It's steampunk.

There's not just one kind of steampunk. It's like having a music contest and requesting it to be metal.
There's multiple kinds of metal and if you leave it open to interpretation, you get a lot of different results.

Same with steampunk. We got a lot of different models. We had fun. I don't see the problem.

The goblin shredder for example, is using steam. The goblin maneuvers the contraption while sitting on a furnace,
which heats up a box of water on the back, powering the machine. It's steampunk.
And that is why you don't know what steampunk is.
As I said fantasy machinery isn't automaticaly steampunk.It feels pretty childish and ignorant to use the word steampunk to call everything that is mechanical just because the word is hype.
And no Golbin shredder is not steampunk it's medieval fantasy like the whole Warcraft universe.
You don't know where the probleme is?The probleme is ignorance and abusive use of the word steampunk.

Level 26
It's an unchronic fantasy taking place during victorian era or a world inspired of it.If you go to an art school and introduce goblins or gnomes in a steampunk themed project it will be considered irrelevant.
This contest is basically mechanical unit but let's call it steampunk because it's a cool word.

Actually, steampunk fits a multitude of genres.

Now, you may have a point that goblins don't fit the typical steampunk genre. Steampunk is basically an alternate and eternal victorian era and design. But this does not mean that it's just the victorian era of england. germany for example always went for the creepy and macabre, HappyCockroach was the only one to choose this style. Different nations had different designs and thus a definition what is "truly steampunk" is debatable. Most people tend to hover towards the british victorian era, when saying the word "steampunk". But I intentionally left the topic vague. So as to amass a larger collection of various interpretations.

Anyhow, among the judgement criteria was that the models needed to fit in warcraft 3. Thus, compromises needs to be made. There's really no need to be butthurt and assume we didn't know better and claiming that we went with something only because the word sounded cool. What I like about steampunk is the potential of creativity. The limits of steam and the creative solutions available to realize contraptions only functioning in a unrealistic manner. As if magic were involved. The only way we'd be able to realize something similar would require a very intricate level of robotics. Something that currently exceeds our level in that area.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
icewolf055, I think you are losing points for not showing any screenshots, it's not too ideal to force people to download the model and see it.Just a suggestion for everyone: either do as Blood Raven did, have a HIDDEN tag pair with all the animations, or do as PvT.Toma, who uploaded directly to the model section, where we can use the 3D Viewer. Additionally, have the links to the submissions directly in the vote options.
All of this is just to optimize things from a user-machine interface perspective.

On the submissions themselves, I liked clockwork horror a lot. It's simple and interesting. Grendel's reeks with awesomness. I am also interested in Blood Raven's, although, in the attack animations, I'd have preferred if the wheel came from inside construct's body and not from the air. There are no death animations, by the way? :s

Last edited:
icewolf055, I think you are losing points for not showing any screenshots, it's not too ideal to force people to download the model and see it.Just a suggestion for everyone: either do as Blood Raven did, have a HIDDEN tag pair with all the animations, or do as PvT.Toma, who uploaded directly to the model section, where we can use the 3D Viewer. Additionally, have the links to the submissions directly in the vote options.
All of this is just to optimize things from a user-machine interface perspective.

On the submissions themselves, I liked clockwork horror a lot. It's simple and interesting. Grendel's reeks with awesomness. I am also interested in Blood Raven's, although, in the attack animations, I'd have preferred if the wheel came from inside construct's body and not from the air. There are no death animations, by the way? :s
There are death animations, but they suck too much for me to show them xD Present the best, leave the worst behind :p
Also I really think the lack of screenshot of icewolf's entry was a huge disadvantage... His model isn't any worse than the rest of the entries. Perhaps for future contests there should be a rule to present atleast one screenshot with the final entry?

Also, Callahan, Steampunk as a theme can be interpreted in many ways.
It can be a cultural era, a certain design or elements used during that time, like vitorian elements. It can also be understood as just something, preferably a piece of machinery, powered by steam. That's why it's called steampunk, right? Atleast that's how I understood it and under that impression, I created my entry. Everyone understands things differently.

Level 20
@Rui:
Uhm... This is my 1st entry so far so yeah... I did post my model in the model section though, i'll try to give more screenshot in my final submission next time ;D

I'v been thinking that everyone doesnt like my model xD

@Blood_Raven:
Well, a small rule for the screenshot is good too, for new contestant :D

Level 26
@Rui:
Uhm... This is my 1st entry so far so yeah... I did post my model in the model section though, i'll try to give more screenshot in my final submission next time ;D

I'v been thinking that everyone doesnt like my model xD

@Blood_Raven:
Well, a small rule for the screenshot is good too, for new contestant :D

I actually find your model to be one of the better entries for the contest.

Level 10
Wow I must say all entries are unique. All of you did a really great job.
Remember the people out there wishing they would be as skilled as you people.

It was a close decission for me, but I chose HappyCockroach, as I simply liked it the most.
Nice animations, looking smooth and useful (as nearly every entry.)

+ You made me think about joining the next model contest, too.

Given the very exact schedule we judges had to work from, it is strange that there has not been a result presented for this contest yet...

Anyhow, i hope i have not been too hard on anyone in my judging - i always try to focus on the technichal aspects of design and modeling and leave the question of "which looks best" to the voters. It is nice to see that we still get a decent level of participation in these contests!

Status
Not open for further replies.