• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
5.png

160036-albums4747-picture72600.png

Contest Theme: Ascension
Contestants are to take a Unit from Warcraft III and create a model depicting an alternative Heroic version of it. See below for examples.

Heroes are the heart of Warcraft III. As Champions to each faction, they stand as examples of greatness to which other units aspire. As Paragons of each faction, they symbolize the pinnacle of achievement in their assorted fields. One of Wc3 Modding's greatest and most exciting triumphs comes in the creation of a powerful new Hero, whether conceptually or artistically.

You the Modeller have the opportunity to craft such a Legend into being.

In the style of Blizzard itself, each entrants will take a Unit(s), and craft a model depicting it in Heroic fashion. Entrants will be challenged to creatively interpret various aspects of their chosen Unit in order to create unique, useful, and "Wc3-Fitting" Heroes.

Original Posts:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2210857-post9.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2211678-post16.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2212729-post26.html

Kyrbi0 said:
Heroes are cool, iconic, and symbolize the epitome of whatever they are. One of the coolest "race-building tools" I use is making a hero-version of various units. Really makes things interesting in regards to creativity and what elements of that unit should be "turned up to 11", as it were.

My Idea:
Have a "Hero Version of Existing Unit" contest. Contestants can choose any unit from anywhere in Melee TFT (i.e. not just the existing four melee factions, but any creep unit or what-not).

So, it's like we will make the Sorceress have stronger version of "Slow", or I named it "Slow Motion"...? and stuff like that? I like it...
(Yeah, let's name this theme "Hero-ic unit", any disagrees?)
More or less, though the more creativity the better. Since it's all visual, you'd basically take some aspect of the Sorceress & max it out, "hero-ize" her. Perhaps "Archmaiden", or "Mistress of Magic", or considering her regular spells (Slow, Invisibility, Polymorph), maybe "Illusionist".
With that last one, then, you'd have this whole "eyes" motif to use in her armor/cape/staff/whatever. Maybe since everything has a staff, she could dual-wield wands.
-EDIT-
Oooh, actually, going with "Illusionist", you could do a sweet "phantom-of-the-opera"-style half-mask (or one of those theater "happy/sad" masks) that she wears or holds in one hand. Then her spells involve the mask somehow.

Maybe change things up and make a "Battle Mage Maiden", with a spiky chained Magic whip, or an Eye-mace.

I dunno, get crazy!

I think in TFT there is one of these "Promoted-Unit", that is Garithos (knight-based heroes, just add some detail in models and give "paladin" attribute...
And for me, Lord Garithos himself is a knight...)
Exactly. He's like a hero-version of the Human Knight, with a twist of "self-serving jerk"/"bandit warlord". Black armor, wings on head, stubble, and replace the lance/sword with a huge double-bladed (enchanted) axe. New name: "Grand Marshal". Solid.

~~~

Wish I could post pictures, but examples might be a hero-version of:
- the Goblin Sappers (like a "Bombardier" bombs, flamethrower, shield, burnt face, twitchy, crazed expression, etc)
- the Troll Witch Doctor (like a "Headshrinker"; big cauldron, shrunken heads, potions, herbal remedies, crotchety grump, etc)
- the Dwarf Rifleman (OH WAIT, ALREADY DONE)
- the Tauren Spirit Walker (like a "Thaumaturge"; wizened burly Tauren caster, aligned with spirits, focused on resurrection, etc)
- the Goblin Merchant! (like a "Tradeprince" or "Baron"; arrogant royalty, lush furs & capes, crown/top hat, monocle, expensive gilt staff... riding in a shrouded palanquin, or surrounded by adoring fans, etc)

Imagination runs wild. Plenty of other good options.

(But there's something I want to ask, do we make another hero that is using an unit's model, OR we make another hero by upgrading the base unit's ability and stuff?)

Not exactly. It's more like a conceptual successor-type deal.
Considering this is a modelling contest, it's not really a matter of what kind of spells or where they'd be used, so much as how the HERO version is related to the UNIT version. However, I see it much more conceptual than literal, e.g.:

Buncha pictures here.

Anyway, I think you get what I'm saying. It need not be the same exact thing, or even the same gender, or even the same race. It certainly doesn't need the same weapons, or the same type of attack/defense (i.e. Knight + Holy - Horse = Paladin. Necromancer + True Undead + Frost = Lich). But the Lich is obviously a Hero-tier Necromancer, and likewise with the rest.

Human Examples.png
Orcish Examples.pngUndead Examples.pngNElven Examples.pngTavern Examples.png

Alliance Examples
Horde ExamplesScourge ExamplesSentinels ExamplesTavern Examples

Good luck!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Logistic Rules
  • Free Market - Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • Solitary - One entry per user.
  • Under Construction - You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. Also builds interest!
  • Originality - Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Impartiality - Judges may not participate.
  • Timeline - Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Submission - The file in the appropriate format.
    • In-Game Screenshot - An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • FINAL - The word "Final", so it is easy to Search for, indicating Finality.

Artistic Rules

• Mesh - Feel free to use either use/modify In-Game Geosets ("Geomerging") or create your own Custom models, as well as any mixture of the two.
    Animations - Feel free to either use/modify In-Game Animations or create your own Custom animations, as well as any mixture of the two.
  • Textures - Feel free to use/modify either In-Game textures or Custom textures, as well as any mixture of the two. If you use a Custom texture, it has to be at least 90% freehand.
  • Loco-Motion - Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Spell
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Dissipate
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
  • Pest Exterminator - Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Rule-Breaker - No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Punitive Measures - If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Themes Ahoy - All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.

-------------------------------------------------

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
modeling, animating, UV wrapping, and creating particles; and who is known to judge objectively.

1. Judge 1
BlinkBoy
2. Judge 2
Frankster
3. Judge 3
HappyCockroach

-------------------------------------------------

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The Judge's score shall be taken out of 50 points for the following categories:

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wire-frame that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc? Clean, distinctive meshes graded highly; deformed or incomplete meshes graded poorly.10 pts

ANIMATIONS
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy; organic or puppet-like? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh? Smooth, life-like anims graded highly; choppy or lifeless anims graded poorly.10 pts

TEXTURE/UV WRAP
The skin, or texture of a model, expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if In-Game textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched? Clean, effective textures graded highly; cluttered or haphazard textures graded poorly.10 pts

MECHANICS
50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Mechanically). Does this model work in-game in all mechanical respects? Placed next to other War3 heroes, does it fit? I.e. is it visible when imported, is the texture path-name hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in KBs), do all the animations play properly in-game, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, does it have footsteps, death sounds, portrait model/camera, life-bar in the right place, and so on. Proper mechanics graded highly; incomplete or messed-up mechanics graded poorly.5 pts

EFFECTS
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, and every Hero needs cool SFX to give them character. Meaningful, aesthetic effects graded highly; tasteless or un-fitting effects graded poorly.5 pts

CREATIVITY
The other 50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Aesthetically), and the most Subjective of criteria for Judges. Overall, the essence of your model: Is this a creative idea? Is it unique, innovative, or clever? Or, perhaps if it has been done before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him? Thoughtful and creative innovation graded highly; insufficient OR over-done & unfitting creativity graded poorly.10 pts
70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

prizes.png

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

1st

50 reputation points & Your Entry on the award icon.

2nd

35 reputation points & an award.

3rd

25 reputation points & an award.

Finished Entry

5 rep

:BEGINS:

:ENDS:

Tuesday

Tuesday

Saturday

JUL
30th

SEP
17th

SEP
21st

11:59:59 GMT

You have 7 weeks, 49 days, or 1176
hours to complete your submission.

entries.png

PARTICIPANT
STATUS

1) Chucky

Dying to begin
Resurrected
Holier than thou
~Really quite 'Bronzed'

2) BallisticTerrain

Going ballistic waiting
'Dilapidated'? "Grotesque"?? Contest winner, right here.
Definitely not for the light of heart
Freaky face
~I~ am the Pun-master :p
Has shrooms on the brain
A shroom in the hand is worth two in the cage
Squidward the Friendly Sorcerer
... More like "Kerrigan-enough".
Red Dead Redemption
Vigilante for the Violently Deceased
"Warcraft-enough"? Getting there. :p
I'm Hooked
"Super long title of length-itude"
Sittin' pretty
Rated 'R'
~Dude, stop WIPing. I'm running out of things to say. xD

3) MiniMage

Has a Mini idea
Has a not-so-Mini idea
... As well as a not-so-Magey idea
A Mountain (giant) of Orcish Talent!
Updated for the Steel Age
Feeling horny
Fired up
~Wooly Bully! Wooly Bully! Wooly Bully!

4) takakenji

~"Tak"ing interest

5) WhiteDeath

Isn't sure time's on his side
Sham-Wow
Biting the wolf that heeds you
Polishing the fangs
FINAL: Lord of the Wolves

6) Wandering Soul

Creep-ing around with ideas
Riding in style
'Throne' for a loop // Always has a Plan B
~King of Slumberland

7) GhostThruster

~Might be doing some (aco)-'Lyte Modeling'

8) PROXY

Feeling crabby
Never mind, he was just TROLLin'
Slim and dandy
Bowl-ing over the others
Never mind, he was just Stealin' our heart
Dual Wielding (at least it's not Needlers)
Back; bear-ably late
Da Astrologer... 'E knows Ur-Sine
Feather in her cap
Standing Tall
FINAL: Queen of Clans

9) Wrathion

Looking for some cooperation
Leader of the Pack
The Right to Arm Mages
~Sparky-sparky Boom Man?

10) eubz

And this one time, at Bandit Camp...
~Frost Wyrm skulls are all the rage

11) AnemicRoyalty (A.R.)

Jem and the Illusionists!
Evil red mustache
Jaina Grey
Jean Grey/Starfire/Your Mother's Drapes Mashup
Grooving to that Disco Beat
With Arms Wide Open
Such a Tease
Beauty Mark
FINAL: She whips her Hair back and forth

12) Kaizer

Don't question his originality :p
Skully McCrotchington
Crown of Swords
~I seriously didn't think it could get *spikier* o_O

13) JokeMaster

~Body warp finished!

14) SuPa-

Gory hopes
Has me hooked
Churning around at the speed of sound
Have armor; will travel
FINAL: Lick-i-tung!
~[url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2412065-post544.html]The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

[/url]

15) icewolf055

Sphinx eye for a rider guy
King of the bearsphinx
Isn't sticking his neck out
Man up!
~Let's... Go... Fly... A Sphinx!

16) Sin'dorei300

Pop, War-Lock and Drop it (Shamelessly Stolen)
~Warlock-tor Who (See Above)

17) stonneash

Moo-ving into the fray
Sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong
Been tanning for too long
Has a 'Staff' Infection
~Parasol of Eternal Darkness

18) Retera

'Kraken' his knuckles
Bears bears everywhere
Un-bear-able posture
~A bit uncertain; making other people's entries. :p

19) Jigrael (Tarrasque)

Some Enchantress Evening
A little Shell-Shocked
Takin' his time
~Sinister Shades

20) Astaroth Zion

~'Tanks' for 'meating' with me

21) HappyCockroach

Giving it a 'Faerie' shot.
Do you Believe In Magic?
~Look, up in the sky!

22) HammerFist132

~Pretty high

23) Kenntaur

~"Reveling" in the newness of it all

24) NhazUl

Showing his Achilles 'Chest'
Golden Scream
~Shield your eyes

25) Systemfre1

A little (aco)-'Lyte' on the Details
Bulking up a Bit
~Cloak and Dagger

26) Vermillion Edict

Looking rather Skeletal
Rather Colorful
Things are getting Hairy
Quite stand-offish
Tweakin' here and there
FINAL: Throne of Skulls

27) Chen Stormstout

His "Necro" is coming to "Lyte"
Copying; the unforgivable Sin('dorei)
Put your arm(s) in the air for some High Fives...
Head and shoulders above the rest
Ya Got Any Bear Claws? Wait-a-minute...
Nobody's Home
It's an... Orc?
Or... not.
~Master of Beasts?

28) paladinjst

~Sunny Disposition

29) Deolrin

"Fall, like leaves!... in Fall!"
Barkin' up the wrong Tree
Quite an arm-ful
An Unlikely Shot
Pseudo-Sylvan
FINAL: Sylvan Remix

30) *Freddyk

Infernus Prime
Standing on his own two... Wheels
Wheels for Glory
FINAL: Some Minor Adjustments

31) PvT.Toma

That Cannon Has a Blue Ball
Whatever it is, it looks Menacing
FINAL: Decepticons, TERRORIZE!

##) NAME

~WITTYPHRASE

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alright, only cost me my sleep & my marriage, but I finally got this posted up. It's been a long night, so please point out to me any spelling errors & what-not, or anything else that isn't clear.

Also, reserving first post. :p

===

Something I wanted to do was not only reference In-Game examples of "unit-to-hero", but also existing Custom Model Examples. By no means should this limit people's choices/creativity; instead, feel free to use this as inspiration.

Original Unit
Hero VersionAuthor

Goblin Shredder ->
Mc!

Dark Troll Shadow Priest ->
AnemicRoyalty

Dwarven Siege Engine ->
Deolrin & l0w_kwaliti

Forest/Shadow/Ice Troll
// Troll Headhunter ->
JokeMaster

Pandaren: Storm ->
Norinrad

Undead Necromancer ~>
AnemicRoyalty

Troll Witch Doctor ->
Jigrael

Umm...
There's an
Imp-like thing
somewhere, right? ->
Mc! & Chriz.

Demon Doom Guard ->
Jigrael (Moyack: Concept Art)

Human Mage (campaign?) ->
Mc!

Nerubian Queen ->
Cookie

High/Blood Elven Spell Breaker ->
Deolrin & Linaze

Night Elf Faerie Dragon ->
Tiki

Human Footman ->
Jigrael

Undead Skeleton Warrior ->
Jigrael

(Forest/Jungle) Troll Trapper ->
Jigrael

Dwarven ...Rifleman ->
Norinrad

Green Dragonspawn ->
Mc!

Gnomish Gyrocopter ->
Norinrad

Pit Lord (the campaign unit) ->
Jigrael

Skeletal Archer ->
Jigrael

High/Blood Elf Archer ->
Mc!

Water Elemental ->
SinisterX

Nerubian Warrior ->
Jigrael

Kodo Beast ->
Callahan

Naga Siren/Myrmidon ->
Jigrael

Goblin Sapper/Merchant ->
Pheonix-IV

Dwarf ... Rifleman ->
Norinrad & Jigrael

Undead Necromancer ->
Whitehorn

High Elven Swordsman ->
Norinrad

Skeleton Warrior ->
Callahan

Nerubian Warrior ->
Callahan

Undead Banshee ->
Jigrael

Gnoll Brute ->
Werewulf

Water Elemental ->
Jigrael

Frost Revenant ->
WhiteDeath

Goblin Sappers ->
Norinrad

Murloc Whatever ->
Jigrael

Skeleton Warrior ->
WhiteDeath

Dwarven Rifleman ->
TurieL

Dire Wolf ->
WhiteDeath

Naga Royal Guard ->

Jigrael, Jigrael, Misha, -Grendel, dickxunder

Night Elf Dryad->
AndrewOverload519

That Lightning Bolt,
I Don't Care,
It's a Cool Model ->
Jigrael

Naga Summoner ->
armel

Water Elemental ->
Frankster

ORIGINALUNIT ->
AUTHOR

I could quite literally do this all day, for nearly forever. However sleep must claim me. This is a long-standing tradition, and I highly anticipate further advances. :p

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Good to get some activity finally. :p

Hmm I would like to judge this contest. It has been a while since I last judged.
Excellent! You definitely fit the qualifications. Now I must ask, as a potential judge: do you feel comfortable judging based off the criteria delineated in the first post? I mostly copy/pasted from previous contests but did change some things around, so I just wanna make sure it makes sense & you're willing/able to go with it. : )

Good to get some activity finally. :p

Excellent! You definitely fit the qualifications. Now I must ask, as a potential judge: do you feel comfortable judging based off the criteria delineated in the first post? I mostly copy/pasted from previous contests but did change some things around, so I just wanna make sure it makes sense & you're willing/able to go with it. : )

I've read it, only a few things have changed since last time. So, yeah, I do feel comfortable with it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yay! I have a request matching this theme, so hopefully I can get one of the participants to make it for me :D
I have to say, though, that since what you're looking for is basically a higher-poly Peon w/ Hero Glow and a few more animations, this might not be the contest your looking for... People here will be taking a Peon and "Hero-ifing" it into, like, an Orcish "War Engineer" or a "Slave Driver" or something. :p The "Unit -> Hero" concept was never meant to be a one-to-one transformation (i.e. Footman + Hero Glow = Hero Footman!). Anyone can do that. :p

Hm, this does indeed sound interesting. But I suck at animations, so Idonno.
Would've been fun to have a tag-team contest at some point though.

Like Mesh Creator + Animator
Might just be me being lazy though. I just think this idea sounds fun.

Funny I suck at texturing so I've always wanted to participate in a tag-team contest.

Level 19
I have to say, though, that since what you're looking for is basically a higher-poly Peon w/ Hero Glow and a few more animations, this might not be the contest your looking for... People here will be taking a Peon and "Hero-ifing" it into, like, an Orcish "War Engineer" or a "Slave Driver" or something. :p The "Unit -> Hero" concept was never meant to be a one-to-one transformation (i.e. Footman + Hero Glow = Hero Footman!). Anyone can do that. :p
That's why I do not expect to have my request answered, but I certainly hope for it :)

With that said, I must say that my request is a little more than just a peon with new anims and hero-glow, not much different from that, but I ask for a remarkable change in the model's design, with new clothes, bigger shoulder pads and a bigger war-pickaxe, and several other things.

However, yes you are right, that's a way of hero-fying a peon unit, without changing it's theme at all. And I understand that few, perhaps none want to do that, but hoping is always allowed :)
174866-albums3368-picture72520.png

Level 19
In that case, you could also make something like this MiniMage - a herofied version of my herofied peon, heh. Yes it's actually the same dude, but after many adventures in a campaign project of mine, where he turns pretty hardcore at the end x)
Look at the resemblence - his staff-weapon even shares resemblence with the pickaxe :D
174866-albums3368-picture72519.png

Level 26
You could also make something like this MiniMage - a herofied version of my herofied peon, heh. Yes it's actually the same dude, but after many adventures in a campaign project of mine, where he turns pretty hardcore at the end x)
Look at the resemblence - his staff-weapon even shares resemblence with the pickaxe :D
174866-albums3368-picture72519.png

Hero the herofied, eh? Not my style. My idea is essentially this. http://file5.ratemyserver.net/mobs/1190.gif An orc looking similar to this, with an huge double axe. This would thus be the upgraded form of a Orc Grunt or Orc Chaos Grunt.. Or both, I could always use alternate anims.

Level 16
God dammit kyrbi you even found my predators :D
I seriously need to rework them...

Hmm someone could make a random picking mechanism for undecided people which would choose an unit they should rework.

Level 18
can we edit existing warcraft models or we have to start from scratch?
are hero glows required?

Well, it would be easier (for anyone) to edit using existing in-game models and work their way from there... But that's your call, either you can play safe OR test your modeling skill by making one from scratch... And the 'Hero Glow' is like the 'must have feature' for all Warcraft heroes...

oh man, I think I'll have a problem on creating a dissipate animation for a unit

That's quite easy... You can edit the 'Decay Flesh' animation and set it to levitate upward instead of sinking into the ground... The animation is a little crude but that's the fastest way to do it using Notepad... Oh, and remember to shorten the animation time (greatly) while at it...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yeeeeaaah!

Kaizer said:
can we edit existing warcraft models or we have to start from scratch?
are hero glows required?

oh man, I think I'll have a problem on creating a dissipate animation for a unit
You can edit existing models, geomerge with chunks of existing models & reskin them, or create your own fully custom scratch model & texture & animation. It's in the instructions. :p The better you make it, though, the more the crowd & judges will like it.

Hero Glow, like Wandering Soul said, is pretty much a requirement of Wc3 Heroes. Remember that they aren't just at the Origin, but there's also a small glow around the Weapon and usually one around the Chest or something.

Dissipate is actually surprisingly easy; like he also said, you can just edit the .mdl in Notepad, basically "reversing" & slowing down the Decay anim. Just make it go impossibly high, really slowly.
(technically, if you can, the limbs of the Hero will droop down with gravity, which won't happen with this method, but it's a decent work-around until you can do that)

MiniMage & BlinkBoy said:
Hm, this does indeed sound interesting. But I suck at animations, so I donno.
Would've been fun to have a tag-team contest at some point though.

Like Mesh Creator + Animator
Might just be me being lazy though. I just think this idea sounds fun.

~~~

Funny I suck at texturing so I've always wanted to participate in a tag-team contest.
Actually, funny you should mention that... Me and Deolrin debated the idea of having it be an "Optionally Paired" contest (as Anarchianbedlam has done once before). He seemed to think it wouldn't be a good idea. However, if there are enough people that could benefit from it, perhaps?

Amargaard said:
but hoping is always allowed :)
Of course. We should always keep hope alive.

PROXY & JokeMaster said:
So many possibilites to doo... so... hard... to.. decide...

~~~

Hmm someone could make a random picking mechanism for undecided people which would choose an unit they should rework.
Seriously? If you or anyone are really not sure as to what to do, just give me a call. I will literally [rainbow]drown [/rainbow] you in ideas. :p

Or at least, moisten you a little bit. With ideas, that is. xD

===
===
===

Don't worry about "voting for approval" everyone. It was never necessary in the first place. Besides,

[rainbow]It's ON!!![/rainbow]

Looking forward to all this creativity.

I'm making a dilapidated grotesque mad scientist undead necromancer. I just finished up drawing out several concepts for it.

Also, I think I have to vote for approval.
I vote for approval!

don't start modeling until the contest begins. Everybody should start at the same time.

Btw we need a second judge, any volunteers that fit the qualifications?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I believe it is, since Pharaoh moved it to the "Arena" forum, and put up an announcement for it (as well as changing my photo)...

Right?

BlinkBoy said:
Btw we need a second judge, any volunteers that fit the qualifications?
Andrew & Stonneash have both offered. I don't know what process determines this, to be honest. Who's in charge? I can still [edit] my original/first post, so I suppose I am... hahaha. :p

AndrewOverload519 said:
Hmm, very interesting idea! Could I be a judge?
NO. You can't judge, because you have to enter!! :p

(j/k, if you really don't want to join you need not).

Last edited:
Level 26
Hmm. Well, since the contest was officially started, I began working. Hell, even managed to get me a decent WIP.
ContestWIP_zps3a1e3b99.png

It's a reskinned Mountain Giant with an Orc head and an axe. Also, I know this isn't a "mage-y" kind of model.

But meh, I was a orc fan before I became a goblin fanatic. Besides, if I were to make a goblin, I wouldn't be able to finish on time.
I tend to work and rework those models for months. Gonna tweak this more and make a more threatening helmet.

Oh and I'll need to finish the texturing on the armor. Then the tedious fixing with anims begin.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
NOTICE - I've added even more examples to the second post's "image-heavy table". Will be adding more (not that anyone needs it anymore... It's just fun! :p)

Hmm. Well, since the contest was officially started, I began working. Hell, even managed to get me a decent WIP.

It's a reskinned Mountain Giant with an Orc head and an axe. Also, I know this isn't a "mage-y" kind of model.

But meh, I was a orc fan before I became a goblin fanatic. Besides, if I were to make a goblin, I wouldn't be able to finish on time.
I tend to work and rework those models for months. Gonna tweak this more and make a more threatening helmet.

Oh and I'll need to finish the texturing on the armor. Then the tedious fixing with anims begin.
"Decent"? I dunno, maybe it's "First-WIP-itis", but I really rather like it.

And don't take my witticisms seriously. I'm just messing around, trying to find some creative play-on-words for your name & the post you make. Since your name is "MiniMage", but your making a non-Mini, non-Mage... Well, it just flowed. :p

Mountain Giant-base equals one burly Orc. Hope that translates well in-game. Excited to see the rest, though.

Remember guy you get seven weeks. So work out your concepts. Don't get in a rush. I'll judge originality pretty heavily >:).

I suggest you brainstorm atleast 3 concepts. Btw here's a nice brainstorming technique we use at work:

Make a list of races, possible candidates and look for original ideas. Use the 6 hats to brainstorm information of your concepts, then make simple drawings and repeat the process to the drawings, then go into more details and so on.

It's nice to also write some lore down to give your character some characteristics and feelings, specialy, since this unit you are heroizing must feel unique compared to the rest of it's race.

Btw there appears to be no poly limit. I think we should have a cap of 1300 explicit polies (only meshes) and a 1600 implicit limit (plus particle and ribbon emitters).

I disagree with that poly limit. If we are going to put a artificial hard cap on polys, we need to aim a little high. For example, 3500 triangles.

I always come up with lore for my characters, and do several 2d concepts before starting to model as well as taking a look at illustrations on the internet for inspiration. After that I usually write out some notes on what I want the character to be like.

It's hard to explain exactly what my character is going to be like, so I'll have to show you once the mesh is in polishing stage.

Level 48
Thanks for the help, BilnkBoy! ^^
I'll try to come up with something good. :p
The problem is having *too many* ideas, as I've already thought of more than three. :p
I'm no good at drawing, though, so whatever concepts I have will remain in my head. But I'll definitely consider lore and such.

As for the poly limit, I see no point in it. The judges should reduce points for models that seem unfitting in the game, which usually involves high poly counts - I think that's incentive enough. Most computers nowadays can handle complex models, even with thousands of polygons. Esp. when they're triangle polies.

Yeah, considering characters in first and third person games nowadays often have 15000 - 20000 and sometimes even 30000 polygons a warcraft 3 model with a few thousand polys viewed by a isometric camera isn't going to cause any performance issues.

Higher poly models can most certainly blend into normal warcraft 3 as long as they aren't the modern definition of high poly, (above) as that would obviously look wrong. What you really need to worry about is keeping a warcraft 3 like silhouette and making sure your texture is in the same art style blizzard uses.

EDIT: I looked up some statistics and polycounts are even higher than I thought they were. Single player games have characters with up to 45000 polys in some cases.

Level 16
K i'm in with of course a troll. A troll.. AXEMASTRER dunno what race but i will probably stay with the concept and make him dark or ill screw it and make him blue or green xD

Status
Not open for further replies.