• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Mini Contest #3 - Starcraft Critters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Everything else aside; Is there an estimated time that judging will be done?

I thought about asking that, but I figured my timing would make me seem impatient. :p However, I'm just curious as to how long it will take, and when we can expect results. :p I figured the weekend, or next week. :/ There aren't too many submissions, and they aren't too complex compared to finished models, so it should be quick. :/

Level 23
"... compared to finished models..."

I found that funny considering there were at least half that submitted finished ones. Besides that finished applied many ways. But I'll just be patient I suppose. No need to rush the judges.

Finished, as in, able to be accepted on Hive or other sites that have a judging process for models. :/

Well, I talked to DonDustin, he said judging may take up to a week, so next Wednesday to Friday.

Ah. Thanks. :) Now we'll know when we should expect it, and start looking for the poll. :p

Level 20
I'll be bold as I'm sure this is on all contestants minds. But how is the progress. The deadline was 12 days ago and it's been 4 days since we had an update on the progress.

Is there an estimated time on how much longer it'll be before results are published?

I don't mean to be rude. But I must admit I'm curious to see the results as I'm sure many others are as well.

Level 11
Yeah, I think most aren't. Because it is not needed, said so in the rules. There was no time to animate them, especially for newbie modelers, and there is a lot of us here.

Level 26
ok guys. The judging is done. Will pm the results to Pyritie now so he can give the rewards to the winners in the next days. At the same time I will open a poll that will last for 3 days so you can vote for your personal favourite. Keep in mind that I just open the poll to give you, the community, the opportunity to shout out your opinion about the contest and its entries.

Good to know judge is finished, good job guys. Eventhough... mini-contests were supposed to have no polls...since they're meant to be fast. And this one, which is supposed to be even faster (beta has a limited time and contest lasted only 5 days), while it has unfinished entries, should have a poll? =/
Of course it is interesting to connect it to the community, but... you know. We never had those with contests that gave us much more time.

Level 15
Good to know judge is finished, good job guys. Eventhough... mini-contests were supposed to have no polls...since they're meant to be fast. And this one, which is supposed to be even faster (beta has a limited time and contest lasted only 5 days), while it has unfinished entries, should have a poll? =/
Of course it is interesting to connect it to the community, but... you know. We never had those with contests that gave us much more time.

Isn't the poll just serving as a means of occupation for hive members whilst the judging is being organised? Correct me if i'm wrong, but it's purely superfluous and i'm pretty sure it'll relieve the contestants of their grating suspense... but yeah it is quite an effort and is ultimately unnecessary and probably a waste of time for the mods if they don't get anything out of it. I'm really not sure how it all works, but if i can make sense hopefully everything else can as well.

Level 26
ok....as you really wished to know the results, I'll just post them now.

Pyramidhe@d said:
Perenial Bison - tee_dubs
  • Mesh - 10/10
    Pretty much perfect
  • Skin - 5/5
    Good ingame use. it has that prmitive orgasm look
  • Creativity 10/10
    Orginal
25/25​
Skullorb - Zerox
  • Mesh - 9/10
    Clever. but it doesnt seem..."complete" in some way
  • Skin - 5/5
    Good ingame use. Would have prefered an animatd texture for the belly though
  • Creativity 7/10
    New clever unit. Unoriginal shape
21/25​
Scantid - HappyCockroach
  • Mesh - 10/10
    Pretty much perfect
  • Skin - 5/5
    Good ingame use. Very SC/zerg feeling
  • Creativity 3/10
    Existing unit. not very original
18/25​
TerranKid08 - Kitabake
  • Mesh - 8/10
    Gove various bits and pieces. interesting.
  • Skin - 4/5
    Good crisp use of ingame skin
  • Creativity 3/10
    Just a baby marine
16/25​
firebat kid - Amigurumi

• Mesh - 7/10
    Got various bits and pieces. interesting.
  • Skin - 4/5
  • Creativity 3/10
    Just a baby Firebat.
15/25​
Scorpiobot - Midnighter
  • Mesh - 7/10
    Complex mesh. rahter unneccesary though
  • Skin - 4/5
  • Creativity 4/10
    mechanical scorpion. doesnt really fit sc.
15/25​
Looterzerg – hailfireer
  • Mesh – 7/10
    Good mesh
  • Skin – 4/5
    Decent use of custom skin
  • Creativity – 4/10
    zergling with armour. Not very creative i would think. especially considering the parts you chose to put together.
15/25​
Terralisk - supertoinkz
  • Mesh - 5/10
    Looks very messy.
  • Skin - 3/5
    Decent
  • Creativity 6/10
    tried to give an original creature. Idea didnt show quite through.
14/25​
Murloc Reaper – varsaigen
  • Mesh – 3/10
    Decent mesh, the rockets are irregular though
  • Skin – 3/5
    Utilised it failrly well
  • Creativity – 3/10
    Looks more like a baby reaper rather than a murloc
10/25​
SpaceCowCritter - Fan
  • Mesh – 5/10
    Decent mesh, the rockets are irregular though
  • Skin – 3/5
    Utilised it failrly well
  • Creativity – 6/10
    its a flying cow. in space. goes well in terms of idea but the model itself has been left rather barren.
13/25​
infestedrobot – heroslayer
  • Mesh – 4/10
    shape is decent, the wrap is complete mess
  • Skin – 0/5
    no idea what is going on here.
  • Creativity – 2/10
    A random robot with tentacles.Didnt fit the theme. The mesh looks more like some chromehound mech
Total – 6/25​
ZerglingPup - Xndr
  • Mesh – 4/10
    mediocre
  • Skin – 1/5
    Dont really see the need for the skin
  • Creativity – 3/10
    not very original. just a baby of something. actually. doesnt look baby at all.
Total – 8/25​
BabyOverlord – sooda
  • Mesh – 3/10
    i see a lot of stretched primitives and etc
  • Skin – 1/5
    You really havent utilised the space given not to mention the skin doesnt fit the thing at all
  • Creativity – 3/15
    not very original. just a baby of something
Total – 6/25​

DonDustin said:
HailFireer – LooterZerg:

Mesh: It is pretty much the generic wc3 zerg with marine chest armor. --> 2/10
Texture: They fit well. --> 3/5
Creativity: I think such a unit would be quite creative in sc2, but for a contest it is quite boring. --> 2/10

==> 7/25

HappyCockroach – Scantid:

Mesh: Quite low poly, how you would expect it for a critter. But it still got detail where you would expect it. --> 10/10
Texture: The chosen textures are really really creative. I would have never thought of using the mushroom texture for the body. --> 5/5
Creativity: The idea is really nice, but it still reminds of known elements of Zerg units --> 8/10

==> 23/25

Midnighters - ROBO-SCORPION

Mesh: The mesh seems ok, but it uses too many faces. --> 3/10
Texture: They fit, but there are a few unwrap issues. --> 2/5
Creativity: It is nice, but nothing special. --> 3/10

==> 8/25

Fan – Space Cow

Mesh: It is nice, but there could have been used less faces here and there. --> 5/10
Texture. They fit quite well, but are a bit generic. The unwrap could have been better in certain ares aswell. --> 4/5
Creativity. The idea itself is rather hilarious, but as it actually not “yours”, but debodes and because Blizzard already made the Tauren Marine, it looses a bit of its magic. --> 6/10

==> 15/25

Sooda – Baby Overlord

Mesh: It is basicly only a compilation of primitives. --> 3/10
Texture: It is plain ugly to be serious. --> 1/5
Creativity. The idea is nice, but it wasn’t executed how someone would expect it for a contest. There was more potential in it. --> 3/10

==> 7/25

Amigurumi – FirebatKiddy

Mesh: Really nice. It got all kind of details a good model needs, while staying low poly. --> 8/10
Texture: Fits well. --> 4/5
Creativity: Might not be the best idea, but it is still fine. --> 5/10

==> 17/25

Kitabatake – TerranKid

Mesh: Nice. Good everything, that a good model needs. --> 7/10
Texture. Fits well. The animated texture is a nice addition. --> 5/5
Creativity: Might not be the best idea, but it is still fine. -->5/10

==> 17/25

HeroSlayer – Infested Robot

Mesh: Seems nice, but way too high poly fort his contest. --> 3/10
Texture. The texture is not really well and I also do not even think that a custom texture is needed. --> 2/5
Creativity: I don’t see in what way this model is connected to the theme, because it does not really look like a critter to me. --> 2/10

==> 7/25

Xndr – Zergling Pup

Mesh. The mesh is decent. --> 5/10
Texture: I don’t see how this model needs a custom texture and the unwrap is really messy. --> 2/5
Creativity. The idea is nice, but it wasn’t executed how someone would expect it for a contest. There was more potential in it. --> 3/10

==> 10/25

supertoinkz – Terralisk

Mesh: Actually pretty good, but the rocks make it appear a bit messy. Some stone skin instead might have been a better idea for your concept. --> 6/10
Texture: I really like your texture choice and the idea of the rocks that change their desing based on the terrain is really original. --> 5/5
Creativity: I think everyone can see that you made some thoughts when creating it. --> 7/10

==> 18/25

tee.dubs – Perennial Bison

Mesh: The mesh is well done, but might be a tad “high poly” for a critter. --> 9/10
Texture: Fits very well --> 5/5
Creativity: This model fits perfectly to the theme. It might be dangerous in WC universe, but harmless in the world of SC. --> 10/10

==> 24/25

Zerox – Skullborb

Mesh: The mesh is perfect for a critter model. --> 10/10
Textures: They fit very well. --> 5/5
Creativity: It is really creative, but it reminds me a bit too much of the SC2 baneling. --> 9/10

==> 24/25

varsaigen – MurlocReaper

Mesh: the mesh is ok. It could be made with less faces in some areas, especially because you are using a custom texture. --> 6/10
Texture: A lot of blank space, it misses shading, and contrast to me, and I think it would have been great if you wouldn’t have it completely covered in armor, but leaving certain Murloc body parts visible. --> 2/5
Creativity: It is like a counter part of the SC2 Tauren Marine. Not that creative, but still nice. --> 6/10

==> 14/25

1st Place : tee_dubs
2nd Place : Zerox
3rd Place : HappyCockroach

Congratulations to the winners

Level 20
Awesome! I get a key. :grin:

*insert two hour long victory speech here*

Second place is great. And I'd like to congratulate tee_dubs as well. You did a fantastic model. Very cute. And very starcraft-like, you did a fine job very well done.

Yours was also very cool too HappyCockroach congratulations to you as well.

And to everyone else who didn't win there's always another chance in the next contest. You all did great. Remember that we only can improve the more we try. We don't ever not grow in ability even if you have some failures along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.