• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
9.png

165527-albums6053-picture106490.jpg

Squad

Contestants should create a model that represents two or more separate characters that walk around together and act collaboratively at some animations, as the Mortar Team, or the Goblin Sappers.

If you're in doubt if your idea fits or not as a squad, here go some examples of types of models that, even if might seem similar, aren't squads:
  • Cavalries aren't Squads: they're rather just cavalry. Squad components must be independent one from the other. That doesn't mean the characters can't mount each other at some animation, or one of the characters ride a mount, feel free to do so.
  • Character + Pet isn't always a Squad: If your model consists of a character featuring a pet which is much smaller than him, that doesn't seem as they're exactly 'teamed up'. The companion should be relevant and have its own character. That doesn't mean your squad can't feature a minor pet familiar additionally to its members.
  • War Machines/War Beasts aren't Squads: The focus of the squad are its members. If they are all riding a giant beast, or an enormous contraption it will become essentially a war beast/machine. That doesn't mean your squad can't feature average sized beasts walking along with it, or contraptions manipulated by the squad members. Just keep the focus at the characters
  • Swarms aren't always Squads: A swarm counts as a squad as long as the number of units is countable from a reasonable distance. A faerie swarm, made of 4 or 5 faeries, can be the "Faerie Assault Squad". A locust swarm, made of 30 locusts, is rather a swarm only, and not a squad.
Please don't spam the thread asking if a thousand ideas fit as squad. More importantly, ask yourself first very honestly. Then, read instructions.

Since many people said that thinking about a squad concept is a remarkably hard task, I've put up this section of references to help giving some inspiration. Of course, no one is encouraged to copy them or any other idea directly.
165527-albums6053-picture106496.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture106495.jpg
Faeries many times come in squads:
165527-albums6053-picture108021.jpg

165527-albums6053-picture108022.jpg

Or goblins:

165527-albums6053-picture108023.jpg

Guards who cross halberds:

165527-albums6053-picture108024.jpg

Or macabre creatures:

165527-albums6053-picture108025.jpg

165527-albums6053-picture106497.jpg
At this ratmen squad, one of the members carry the heavy cannon while the other does the cannonball maneuver.

5bcea637ef0d1b6e4aecd8ae462f90bf.jpg
While the musketeer benefits from the defense and the stability to shoot, the other rat also prevents melee attacks to reach the duo.

HerrDave's Gunner Teams:

Even if kinda simple and devoid of greater character interaction, Kofi_Banan did a few squads long ago, too.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 29th Modeling Contest".
  • Until the contest results are out, the bundle submitted should contain the following:
    • An in game preview image showing your submission in action.
    • One MDX version only of your submission.
    • Add-on models as portraits or missiles when available.
    • All custom textures necessary for your model to work properly.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
    • Participation: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• The_Silent
Anyone who has knowledge in the field of modeling and is deemed acceptable by the contest's host may become a judge - simply post in this thread showing your willingness to judge and you shall be evaluated.​

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Mesh
How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/10

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? Or how adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Is it blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/10

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/10

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? Does it fit the theme? Does it fit WC3 environment?/10
  • 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
entries.png

Below is a list of entrants and their latest work-in-progress post to help hosts, judges and watchers alike keep track of the contest and the contestants' progress.

At the end of the contest a test map will be put up by the host featuring all the entries, in order to make in-game testing easier and to improve the voting input at the poll. Then, each author will have 72 hours to approve/alter the in-game configuration of their model before a poll is put up.​

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 10th of March, 2016 and conclude on 3rd of July, 2016, 23:59 GMT

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

/Sub
But not joinin', :D Goodluck contestants :D Have a happy modeling :D

You guys know you can subscribe to a thread without posting in it right? Posting you subscribed is very spammy. :ogre_icwydt:

Anyway, probably joining, squad is a very open theme so it allows for a lot of creativity.

subscribe
Still thinking of ideas :V

Just wondering if something like goblin alchemist is also count as a squad?

As long as it consists of 2 or more units.

This theme is pretty intuitive, you probably already know how appropriate your model is as a squad, but here it goes.
  • A Squad is made of 2 or more independent characters, with possibly different personalities, of the same, or different races, and so on.
  • The characters should act collaboratively. It is nice to see the reason why they're together (as the mortar team, each has a different task)
  • Cavalry is a squad? Technically yes? But it sucks as one? Cavalry is an example where one of the individuals is highly subordinated to the other and doesn't have its own presence
Please don't spam the thread asking if a thousand ideas fit as squad. Ask yourself first.
165527-albums6053-picture106497.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture106495.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture106496.jpg
You all know what are we supposed to do as a 'Squad'. That it has to do with models as the Mortar Team, and the Goblin Sapper. Do you recognize the Knight as a Squad? Of course not. It is intuitive, ask yourself and you'll know. x)

To avoid the trouble I've put additional info there.

Might as well put it in stone. Asking participants what their interpretation of the word "squad" is, is asking for trouble. Will just end up with a debate about the interpretation.

Here is some more we should get out of the way quick:
Is a crew a squad? Example: Two or more unit manning a ship, vehicle, structure or giant creature.

Is Swarm creatures a squad? (Spider-attack as a unit basically), Could be a unit containing the exact same unit multiple times. Zergs, spiders, tentacles, ect.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't care which category they fall into. I just want to avoid the pitfalls of previous contests. AKA. discussion about whether or not something falls into the contest definition.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Duude! I am very excited that this one; I have been hoping & praying for this Contest for a long time. : )

If anyone is still groping about for ideas, I posted a few on the submission thread for starters... And there's probably dozens more if you poke me a bit. ; )

~~

@HappyCockroach; glad to see how expertly this Contest is being run already, and the Contest page is clear and precise.

If I may make a suggestion, I submit that we go ahead & pre-emptively nix any form of mounted "cavalry" unit; while it's technically two meshes w/ separate animations (the technical Contest requirements), like you said they aren't independent enough to really fit the Contest Thematically. Moreover we already had a "Mounted" Modeling Contest IIRC, (and while I have no problem repeating Themes); this would further help to avoid any overlap.

Also, what happened to the previous-several-Contest's "Judging Criteria"? The new ones are rather concise, but the previous ones were a lot more... comprehensive and clear, laying out exactly what is good & what is bad about each part. :<

You guys know you can subscribe to a thread without posting in it right? Posting you subscribed is very spammy. :ogre_icwydt:
Yeah, but moar posts = moar publicity = moar exposure ~= better Contest. : )

So, without further ado,

Posting to Subscribe. ; )

I don't care which category they fall into. I just want to avoid the pitfalls of previous contests. AKA. discussion about whether or not something falls into the contest definition.
Yes, your worries are legitimate and I agree with that. We might reformulate that definition until we have something absolutely consistent. To my view:

What is essential in your model? The Squad aspect must be its essence.
  • The squad is a group of 2 or more independent characters that walk around together and act collaboratively at some animations.

What isn't a Squad?
  • Cavalry: a cavalry isn't a Squad. It is a cavalry instead. That must be clear to all. But it doesn't mean one character isn't allowed to ride the other at some animation, or that one of the components of the squad isn't allowed to have a mount.
  • War Machine/War Beast: A war machine, or a war beast isn't a Squad. That doesn't mean a squad can't have a beast familiar going at their side, or a small contraption they manipulate.
  • A Swarm: A swarm does count as a squad as long as the number of units is countable from a reasonable distance. A faerie swarm, made of 4 or 5 faeries, can be the "Faerie Assault Squad". A locust swarm, made of 30 locusts, is rather a swarm only, and not a squad.
How about defining it this way?

Also, what happened to the previous-several-Contest's "Judging Criteria"? The new ones are rather concise, but the previous ones were a lot more... comprehensive and clear, laying out exactly what is good & what is bad about each part. :<
That is always up to the judge. And seems of no use to me to put more information there, just some basic guidelines for the judges to not forget important aspects.

Going for a pirate theme, that's what I can tell ya :p
A pirate squad is promising :p

Parrot doesn't count as squad member.
Hey, you around. Please put up some model for this :p

Guys, added guidelines on what type of entries are problematic as squads, to answer most people's doubts.

And even if the contest theoretically starts in a few hours, of course everyone's allowed to start already! :D

So here's some idea, There are 80% chance I'm not gonna use, but is one of the idea

The 3 Dwarf Brothers, one cook, One Figher (Or Brawler?) and a guy still not sure what to be, but something with giant crossbow

Chained (Or use rope) by using each other as weapon like... nunchucks,

Animation is gonna be crazy if I ever execute this guy...
There's an idea where one guy launch himself using the giant crossbow and pull so that everyone fly together thingy.... might be a little to crazy...

If it's done I think is gonna be funny :V
but most probably going to change to something else more practical idea later....

Attachments

• 12837752_908002592631419_853610997_o.jpg
    12837752_908002592631419_853610997_o.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 535
So here's some idea, There are 80% chance I'm not gonna use, but is one of the idea

The 3 Dwarf Brothers, one cook, One Figher (Or Brawler?) and a guy still not sure what to be, but something with giant crossbow

Chained (Or use rope) by using each other as weapon like... nunchucks,

Animation is gonna be crazy if I ever execute this guy...
There's an idea where one guy launch himself using the giant crossbow and pull so that everyone fly together thingy.... might be a little to crazy...

If it's done I think is gonna be funny :V
but most probably going to change to something else more practical idea later....
You could turn that drawing 90° so we don't need to lean our heads. :p

Dwarf brothers is a nice way to go. Maybe the cook heals the group by making an omelette! xD

Made a fast drawing of what I really want to make, so I hope it is within the definition of squad:

attachment.php

Here is the animations i will attempt to have done in time:
  • Stand
  • Stand Alternate (Stationary mode, squad go in full defense mode, creating small fortified position.
  • Stand Defend (Either uses shield ahead of squad, or shield guys uses spells to form a shield around them.
  • Move
  • Move Defend
  • Attack (Either mage guy attacks, or front shield guys bash with their shields, hidden daggers, or something similar)
  • Attack Alternate
  • Attack Defend
  • Attack Second (A sustained attack by mage guy, for short attack rate lightning attacks.
  • Attack Defend Second
  • Attack Alternate Second
  • Spell (Mage guy casts a spell, a ball like spell)
  • Spell Channel (Everybody in squad channels, probably acolyte style)
  • Spell Alternative Channel
  • Spell Throw (Shield guy throws potion)
  • Death (Mage guy falls of chair, shield guys falls afterward)
  • Dissipate or decay (Not sure if this is supposed to be a hero or not yet, might add both)

Attachments

• CircleLeader.png
    CircleLeader.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Made a fast drawing of what I really want to make, so I hope it is within the definition of squad:

attachment.php
well if the carrier characters actually do something else than carrying, and the mage is levitating, then the squad like those could work
How about a knight that can mount dismount a horse? maybe the horse can kick someone or something...
that kinda still feels lill too simple.. and we don't need a unit that can 'morph' (aka mount and dismount)

Yes, it can be seen as a squad, as long as the guys aren't mere carriers. I'd prefer not having the focus so strongly on only 1 of the characters. Try to make the little guys channel magic along with the leader, or some other action for them to perform, would make them stand out more. Some disasters, as almost letting it fall, or daring the guy's authority, might make it more spirited as a squad.
Because then we need a new contest image xD
That image, it shows greatly many things, as the fact most squads are made of small creatures, and that they tend to cooperate, each with its job. But the fact it is mounted might influence everyone to mount their squad members on top of another - that alternative, if constant in the model, is in the threshold of a cavalry. ._.
The mounted aspect is better used as a stance, not a permanent characteristic.

First Body WIP. Man, I love orcs.
Nice texture, but watch out for that anatomy! It's a bit off, mainly the belly part, too long and thin. Look some references before it is already rigged.

well.. funny thing is that Gluma's four-lizard-wizard model from previous contest was a better squad than a wizard.. kind-of?
I call his model rather a war beast. Yes it is a squad also, but firstly and more essentially a war beast. That weakens the idea a bit for this contest.

And who said the ideas proposed here don't make cool squads? I'm seeing pretty creative ideas until now, if you don't think so, well... try to say it in a constructive or more responsible manner.

guess this is another reason why i don't wanna judge people's models and ideas this time? Ouo

sorry guys, lemme give you a big thumbs up tho :goblin_good_job: <--(and a goofy one as well)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I have much more to say to a few others so far (e.g. PROXY, "oh you". :p Noice Orc, btw), but I just need to jump in quickly for this:

attachment.php

Here is the animations i will attempt to have done in time:
!!!
The Day Foretold Has Arrived
!!!

I have waited many long years for someone to be daring enough to tackle one of the most surprising absences in Warcraft modeling; the Palanquin. It's a rich, cultural element of many parts of the world, and there are tons of ways it could make sense (Gnomish Technomage carried by docile robo-servants, Trollish Medicine Mon lofted by trained turtles, Draenei Mystic borne by magical floating crystals, etc...).

In particular, one of my favorite un-realized designs for a Goblin Tradeprince involved a lush, royal palanquin carried by slavish Goblin servants! (that, or a more "business-man" Tradeprince followed by a few loyal Goblin servants (gun-wielder, spell-caster, assassin, etc). If you are able to finish this, we'll finally have a base off of which to work to create all these dreams. : )

Good luck, man. I am dying to see this finished.

~~~

Carry on.

I've added animations to my concept post to give people an idea about what I want to make.
(http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ntest-29-squad-276577/index2.html#post2796916)
Sounds nice! And what Kirby0 said. We never saw a model as that for wc3. And it's such an interesting thing.

Does a hero wih his two guards counts as a squad?
Sure it counts, but keep in mind squads are usually made of smaller creatures. It isn't a mashup of regular models. Imagine a squad made of the Paladin, the Archmage and the Mountain King. All of them are full-fledged models, why would they be done as 1 only model?

Try to focus on interdependence and collaborativeness between the members of the squad.

Guys, I know I've been picky about the theme, but I don't want to be the one who says what fits and what doesn't fit to it. As I said, look at the goblin sappers, the mortar team, other possibilities, and ellaborate a concept of your own, based on the contest guidelines, and show your ideas. If you're aware of the theme, and approve your idea yourself, then you should be fine, go ahead.

Level 10
This is so cool, someone should make a reverse Pandaren. Fire, wind and earth walk around as a squad and they can fuse together to become one. Another idea is a abomination squad, torso with arms crawling around with two other buddies that can join together to make an abomination variation.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

What about a 'squad' consisting of different units forming one greater unit ? That's not a squad anymore, is it ?

Do all units in the squad have to have majorly the same amount of responsiblity ?
Example: Ogre throwing orcs that walk with him

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
If you are worried about wasting effort, draw a quick sketch & we can better tell.
Honestly, it would probably be better if they quit trying to smartass their entry into the fringe of what the theme encompasses, and instead came up with something that just fits the theme. That is, kind of, what the theme is supposed to be about in the first place.

Guys, just because you had your eyes set on doing a potato, it doesn't mean you need to go out of your own way to make a potato squad where the roots have the supporting role, or whatever. It's not creative, it's boring and opportunist. Do that separately and just come up with something new for the contest.

tl;dr the theme is pretty well defined in the first post. I'm pretty sure you all know what it entails. Stop being smartasses and just roll with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.