• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #27 - Colossus\Final Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 48
First of all, I would like to ask if there is anyone interested in a very limited\short extension to finish their entries. That would be a week, or two at most. I feel that is more than fair as this contest has really gone on long enough.

If such a thing is unacceptable by the current two entrants, or if no one is interested, we will proceed to the judging phase, without a public poll, and determine a winner, with slightly restricted rewards (no award icons, for one) to both the winner and the runner-up.

Level 20
Oh, so apparently if we need to get any rewards we have to submit our entries AND keep the credibility of the rest of the contestants at the same time. My my, that sounds like a tough thing to do. Sure, why not go ahead with the extension. After all, your terms and conditions of it didn't give me a choice anyway.

First of all, I would like to ask if there is anyone interested in a very limited\short extension to finish their entries. That would be a week, or two at most. I feel that is more than fair as this contest has really gone on long enough.

If such a thing is unacceptable by the current two entrants, or if no one is interested, we will proceed to the judging phase, without a public poll, and determine a winner, with slightly restricted rewards (no award icons, for one) to both the winner and the runner-up.

Thats, Ouch

Why Does this happen when i first time join lol

Level 35
First of all, I would like to ask if there is anyone interested in a very limited\short extension to finish their entries. That would be a week, or two at most. I feel that is more than fair as this contest has really gone on long enough..

Well, with about two weeks I guess I could brush the dust of my wc3 tools and see if I can still recall how to port animations to mdx. If so, then I guess you can count me in. Would be nice to make something again :smile:

Level 48
Alright, well... No one other than RED_BARON seems to want the extension. Still, if it's acceptable, I'd like to let RED_BARON try and participate.
You've got two weeks from now. Any other contestants are welcome to join in and finish their submissions. New deadline is the 1st of June. Contestants who already submitted may work to improve their models, should they wish to.
I hope this decision does not prove too controversial.

Alright, well... No one other than RED_BARON seems to want the extension. Still, if it's acceptable, I'd like to let RED_BARON try and participate.
You've got two weeks from now. Any other contestants are welcome to join in and finish their submissions. New deadline is the 1st of June. Contestants who already submitted may work to improve their models, should they wish to.

Thank god, Now i can Add Attachment Point that I forgot XD

Level 39
A pity I haven't had a lot of time these last few months - it's a really cool theme.
But with me doing Durotan and all I just don't think I have time to make another model under a deadline, especially with this theme being quite ambitious.
I'll see if I can make it in the next contest.

A pity I haven't had a lot of time these last few months - it's a really cool theme.
But with me doing Durotan and all I just don't think I have time to make another model under a deadline, especially with this theme being quite ambitious.
I'll see if I can make it in the next contest.

U join I get a instant K.O XD

Level 39
OK, I'm gonna try to see if I can make it. The plan is to make Cthulhu:

cthulhu.jpg

Here's what I have so far:

attachment.php

I assume that since the challenge is to make a colossus/boss unit, we are being a bit more forgiving in regards to filesize/polycount?

U join I get a instant K.O XD

I wouldn't say so, I think your model is quite innovative. It's a very good idea ;)

Attachments

• Render1.gif
    Render1.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 582
Level 39
Feel free to go crazy with the polycount. Anything up to Castle or Tree of Ages should be good - maybe even higher. That means you should also pay more attention to small details, though. :)

Cool! It should be quite fun to have some more polys to play with.

A little update:

attachment.php

Only 586 tris so far, so I have plenty left for the head. I think most polys will go to the tentacles.. there are a lot of them :p
I'm a bit worried that the animation phase will take too long. My goal is to finish the mesh and start on the texture this weekend. Then finish texture sometime during next week and finally rig and animate next weekend, then hand it in Sunday evening. It'll be tight, but it might just be possible.
I will say that the model has been VERY fun to make so far. I'm really enjoying this one.

Attachments

• Render2.gif
    Render2.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,026
Level 39
If I may comment, I think he is a little bit too stubby and short. He is close to WC3 proportions (very Dreadlord-esque), but for a gigantic monstrosity, I think he could be a little bit taller and longer.

Good point. I'm just worried that making him taller will make him look too skinny. All the concepts I've been able to find all depict him as being very muscular/big. Some even have a huge beer-belly like gut, like the following two pictures:

3910634-cthulhu.jpg

cthulhu.jpg

I'm just afraid that making him taller wont make him seem more gigantic but rather make him seem too skinny and therefore less imposing.

Started work on the head:

attachment.php

I have a question regarding animation. Does anybody know if there's a limit to how many bones can affect the mesh? I'm worried that he'll have too many bones, since he'll be needing bones for wings and tentacles on top of the base rig. I have no idea of the limits of Warcraft 3 when it comes to this.

Attachments

• Render3.gif
    Render3.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 982
Level 48
I have a question regarding animation. Does anybody know if there's a limit to how many bones can affect the mesh? I'm worried that he'll have too many bones, since he'll be needing bones for wings and tentacles on top of the base rig. I have no idea of the limits of Warcraft 3 when it comes to this.

I can't imagine there's a limit. Many models have doubled rigs (and meshes) for things like Death Animations, there's models with bones for beards, wings, mounts, etc.

Level 39
I'm gonna have to call it for the mesh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not very detailed I know, but I have to move on. I'm already behind schedule, I'm gonna have to be quick about the texture if I'm gonna make it.
I might add more details to the mesh later if I have time.

Attachments

• Render4.gif
    Render4.gif
    6 MB · Views: 1,030
  • Render5.gif
    Render5.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,131
Deolrin said:

Here's The Link of the Post

Level 39
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull out of this one. Studying took up too much of my time this week, had a group assignment I simply had to do.
I have very little to show for the skin, let alone a fully animated model. There's simply not enough time to finish it. It's alright, I knew this was a risk when I began this late.
Sorry guys. Best of luck to all other competitors!

Level 21
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pull out of this one. Studying took up too much of my time this week, had a group assignment I simply had to do.
I have very little to show for the skin, let alone a fully animated model. There's simply not enough time to finish it. It's alright, I knew this was a risk when I began this late.
Sorry guys. Best of luck to all other competitors!
Is it possible that you could finish it when you are free again and upload it to the hive ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.