• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

640px-Warcraft_III_Opening_Screen.jpg

Map Size Limited

contest%20judging.png

|

Originality: Most you can score here is out of 15
Map Presentation/Design; Most you can score here is out of 10
Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; Most you can score here is out of 20
Object Data; Most you can score here is out of 10
Gameplay; Most you can score here is out of 30
Total Mark: -/100

Forsaken Island by Imago

Originality: 15/15
It is rare to usually ever see this, it is even worth noting as unique.

Map Presentation/Design: 10/10
Done well, knew what to do. I was a bit confused at first, but that is mainly due to it being a puzzle game.

Terrain; 15/15
You created the best terrain out of the entire contest.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 15/20
Lot's of triggers that will easily bug if left and re-entered the room fast.
Some triggers should of been combined in order to save size while some should of been done better.
Majour use of Do Nothing. . .
Most leaks are cleaned though and lag isn't noticeable.

Object Data; 10/10
You managed to fit a rpg into a 32x32 map, congratulations.

Gameplay; 25/30
It was a fun game, it kept me playing and I didn't quit. I re-played it until I beat it. It has near-zero replay value after though, every few weeks though I might come back and play it again.

Few flaws;
Grammar and structure.
Being able to chat to npc's even though your not in the correct zone, should re-select your main unit/hero upon leaving zone.

Total Mark: 90/100
===============================================
AncientProtector035 by rulerofiron99

Originality: 10/15
Mostly original idea, it feels like you get to be the ents from lord of the rings 2. The grabbing and throwing, great idea's.
Only problem is that a hero defence really isn't unique however you made it work quite well.

Map Presentation/Design; 10/10
Presented well, nice loading screen. Has tips in quest dialog.

Terrain; 15/15
I liked how you could basically change/build the terrain and how destructible it was. Good start of the map terrain too.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 17/20

You used a variable array of 8000 as a pre-set for a unit group, that is quite bad. Can be fixed with a simple custom script line to create a new group.
You used several triggers to accomplish similar things when you could of lowered duplication.

It is fair to mark you on that issue of array of 8000 since you use custom script already.
However I didn't deduct marks from you for that because it was rather leakless and didn't crash the map thread, just a few bugs that'll be explained below.

Object Data; 10/10
Nothing to say besides good job and fitting.

Gameplay; 15/30
Some players experiance lag upon entering map/finish loading.
It was lacking sadly making it repitive... I suggest that you should of added a waterfall to allow for another method of appliable combat as well being able to grow your tree/main character.
It has a nasty bug that where if you get hit by an ally or sometimes randomly you start moonsliding/moving backwards and cant be fixed while taking damage constantly
Total Mark: 77/100
===============================================
Creation's Crucible by Kino

Flawless originality and one of the first TD's of its kind. Unique almost.

Only thing I suggest is to auto-select your main unit at the start when done loading.

Terrain; 15/15
Rather complete and quite well-done. I can easily see you put the time and effort into it.
Even got some lighting and animation there.
Though it felt a bit plain in some spots.

You use several events of the same type when it could be combined into one however you have conditions there so it isn't too bad.
You don't clean leaks in several spots.
Lots of un-needed/disabled code...
I like how you made a database of some stuff and you also used events quite well/differently.

The only things here that was a problem is leaks and repeats of quite a few things when not required.
You could also try making some sort of spell-database so you don't need to spam the event to detect spells.

Object Data; 10/10
Nicely done on low file size and size of objects.
Stats and abilities fit.

Gameplay; 20/30
Firstly it is a well-done game and good execution of its concept and idea's. Sadly it gets tedious and tiring very fast though no matter it is still interesting.
There isn't much to do besides molding the elements which in itself does prove to make the game worth at least 5 tries if not more at playing it again.

I suggest some type of command to maybe make it a bit easier to manage stuff such as repeat last action. Also a difficulty system so you get your choice at how hard or easy you want to play.
A good variety of ways to defend the world anchors.

Total Mark: 85/100

Off-topic: I really.. like really do dislike TD's however you earned your mark definately. Just lacking in a few area's.
=================================
Marine blood by noob

Starters: Your going to get hit hard on this one, sorry however please put more effort and time into your work.

Originality: 5/15
Zone control, footmen wars, the list continues. Good try though.

Map Presentation/Design; 0/10
Not much worth trying to say here. . . Sorry, but the map itself says it all.

Terrain; 2/15
You used different tiles at least and some code-generated hills.
Circles showing your bases as well.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 16/20
Your defeat/win trigger isn't cleaned/removed.
The only bad thing I could even spot was using code to generate hills, but its no big deal. People can d/c on it though.
Don't start your loops from 0.

Object Data; 2/10
Mostly just copy and paste... though you did make each unit different in terms of stats.

Gameplay; 4/30
It's fun for about a minute. Lots of trolls to be had.

Total Mark: 29/100

Off-topic: You really didn't try here did you? I did like your idea about it though... =(
microrunnertd by Cokemonkey11

It's just another TD HOWEVER! With hidden secrets in the houses as well a unit that functions as your actual lives where creeps gotta run too, to leak/attack.
Well thought idea and good job.

Simply well-done and basic, even has a tutorial at the start. I knew what to do right away and the map was very informative.

Terrain; 10/15
It's a TD, not much you can do that won't mess up gameplay. I think you did well though, nice little town.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 20/20
Properly initialized and was indented as well clean. Variables where they should be, no BJ's.

Object Data; 10/10
Clean,fitting besides icons to enemy units however nobody will see that in-game.

Gameplay; 15/30
Rather basic however fun and lots of variety to see as your towers decimate incoming monsters.

Total Mark: 75/100
Mortar Wars by Frettory

Originality: 7/15
I liked the concept of it and the idea was averagely good.

Map Presentation/Design; 5/10
Not much that tells me how to play or what to do, has some quest log infomation though.
Doesn't tell me that you can suicide/kill yourself accidently, it only tells me either I have to kill or have to kill and be the last one standing.
Your explode all mortar's icon doesn't really match its function.

Terrain; 5/15
I like how you generated it with code, nothing really that special generated though. . .

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 10/20
You use terrain deformations which is extremely bad since this is a multiplayer pvp map. It causes desync's rather easily and sadly leaks quite badly. We try to stay away from shockwave and warstomp for that reason.
Some cases of not MUI such as dying unit which will mess up whenever two or more people die.
Several uses of Integer Global A, bad uses of casting unit and begins casting an ability.
Leaks are removed at least.

Object Data; 8/10
Most sizes were good except the selection circle of the mortar's were a bit off.
I think the shadow should be a bit longer too to notify people of incoming mortar's.

Gameplay; 5/30
It sadly wasn't very fun or even close to entertaining. It definately was a one-play/try game. Games last most I consider about 3-5 minutes. Maybe longer depending on how bored people are.
There is also a bug, if your in the middle of using something or ordering your unit to do anything and press explode all mortars, you get stuck for like 5-10 seconds which is a game ruiner for this genre.

Total Mark: 40/100
Play Hard by Galles

Originality: 5/15
The idea was rather interesting however it has been done before.

Map Presentation/Design; 9/10
The objective was clear.
Interface matching the game and its terrain too.

Terrain; 8/15
It was quite the pretty little arena. I liked the pillars
Matching walls and pillars as well fitting tiles to suit the rest of the terrain.
Even a gate to fit the story and cocept of the game. Good job on that.
However I think it is still missing something and that something is lighting.
It was still well-done so good job.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 2/20
Nothing was cleaned/de-leaked.
Bad use of waits however since it was only one unit most of the time it was fine.
Though some waves had multiple boss units so that in turn messed up its AI.
You also added multiple instances of the same units to your knockback trigger.
Spammed triggers and timers.
For some reason some variables were arrays when they never needed to be.
Sorry however I can't give you a good mark here, I did like the map though.

Object Data; 8/10
The sizes looked fine to me except maybe the last boss could be lowered by about 0.20 on the size scale, the selection circles could use work though.
Some waves didn't match their boss counterparts, however since it was about demons it wasnt that bad.
Since it is single player the size is fine and was kept under 20mb. You did badly to handle the size though luckyily it isn't multiplayer.

Gameplay; 10/30

It has a bug where if your too close to the walls you'll knock out enemies right through the walls and have to spam the warstomp ability to kill them. It really sucks when you knock the boss-type enemies outside too.
It is monsterously difficult as well time-consuming. No items aside from potions. . . I did like the UI and the idea however it was done poorly. The bosses usually were more annoying then needed however that was fine. Some of the waves were dangerously difficult like the invisible one where they almost kill you in seconds. If your not quick with spamming potions your a dead player.
I really think you should of added the ability to select the games difficulty from easy to normal gameplay since it looked like you made it at the hardest difficulty.
I do like how you put effort into your waves and bosses. The gameplay itself was lacking and sadly it is a one-play game currently.

Total Mark: 42/100
Project ORB by matija97

A unique idea, nobody else has successful done this yet with just the vanilla editor.
I think it has the best concept to game out of all the entries.

Simply too bright, loading screen was fine however after a few games it starts to strain the eyes quite badly. Need to tone down the design,the start and the background because players can't.
Would of got a bit higher otherwise, there really is no offer of information on how to play until you experiment around and explore. No information on what your selecting either, just names.

Terrain; 6/15
Basic, done good except for all the white goodness

Good job and good use of converting trackables to GUI.
Should destroy your one-time triggers, but you didn't use too many luckily.
Some triggers could have been combined to form less code and same functionality.
No lag or any problems though if your not hosting on a bot then you'll face a problem that every high-speed map faces.

Object Data; 10/10
The circles fit, the scale seems perfect, the projectile sizes could use some work however it seemed fine.

Gameplay; 30/30
The most advanced map in the entire contest as well the one with the best gameplay and huge replay value. It is incrediblly fun knocking people into walls or into other players as well shooting the turrets.
I liked how you could rotate your turret with your mouse, what I suggest is adding a no turret mode and just bouncing.

Total Mark: 86/100
Ring Out by Dalvengyr

Originality: 12/15
It is mostly original with the exceptions of famous maps such as Warlock and a few others.

Map Presentation/Design; 6/10
Amazingly presented, not much help on how to play though before it starts.

Terrain; 8/15
Not much there, however the interface compelements the terrain along with how it fits in the middle of the water.
Could use maybe some chunks of ice around the arena and the outside.

You could of at least destroyed/removed the one-time GUI trigger to free up memory. I won't take your deserved marks away though.

Object Data; 7/10
The values suited eachother however this is a multiplayer map and you didn't really watch your imports...

Gameplay; 20/30
It's a fun map, it could have made quite nice use of at least a jump ability to enable more forms of combat and gameplay.
Not much replay value, the AI was funny. The snowmen bounce you a little too much, the projectiles move a bit too fast as well.

Total Mark: 75/100
Shockwave War by AKA.GywGod133

Originality; 5/15
The concept and idea itself is lacking. You just shockwave your enemies to death until you can buy items to do it differently or to boost your own speed. It is a copy of many maps before itself therefore not deserving much originality. However I can see that there was effot put into this to try to change it so it didn't look exactly like that.

Map Presentation/Design; 6/10

Terrain; 8/15
Could use some animation,lighting

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 17/20
Flawless cleaning of map starting triggers that only run once as well looks like every other leak is grabbed too. Nice use of waits. +5
Sadly you use so many map init events, why not have them in one trigger instead of like 3-10 starting triggers? That is messy and bad coding practice.
You also shouldn't use multiple events for one thing such as a recipe system. Why not just follow what you did with color on map init and config circles of power to make a database/core/library of items and the items they turn into when combined?

Object Data; 6/10
There wasn't much effort if any put into lowering file size and making sure imports weren't too high in filesize.
Everything is nicely organized and fitting.
The file size is a bit much, but still okay.
The method to space stuff though is lacking.

Gameplay; 10/30
Right off the bat no instructions or tips on how to play.
Random disconnects/desync's constantly throughout the game, it can happen right at the start too when someone casts shockwave. By using Shockwave you change the terrain and with that it will disconnect/desync people. So it ruins the gameplay because it either makes the teams uneven and just keeps dropping players or everyone has to leave to remake.
I do like the idea of upgrading shockwave and there was some nice items that do benefit gameplay by noteable amounts. The powerup system is also nice.
Sadly as well there is no replay value, no creeps to help get gold or exp or anything extra to do. Though on the plus side there was powerups.
It was a fun first few tries though.
However if one or two people on a team don't know how to play right away or use teamwork then the other team is in the lead. It is a PvP map that is hard on beginners.

Total Mark = 50/100
Good work on this however it needs a lot more loving/work and effort and time devoted to it. I suggest different colored shockwaves, different char's with different abilities, more items that benefit the gameplay differently. Maybe another method to gain gold as well something to do besides killing one another.
The Pandaren Tavern v1.0 by Guramax

Original,near unique. A funny concept/idea, I have only seen it twice besides yours. Good work thinking this through.
Well deserving of this mark for this category.

Map Presentation/Design; 7/10
You have a cinematic for every difficulty, you placed stuff well.

Terrain; 9/15
It isn't empty, different tiles, doodads place well around the map to make it look prettier. Fitting.
Smart use of book shelves and graves.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 3/20
You never cleaned a single thing and even used do nothing.
However you put effort into making the map with such a nasty tedious method, good work.

Object Data; 10/10
Sizes fit the map, you kept the filesize at a considerate size.
Nothing too silly.

Gameplay; 10/30
It's lonely and difficult to play alone, but still fun. It is way better to play this with three people because you get to work at a tavern then with your workmates. =)
Lots of fun and beer to be had. Only a few problems which is the map is lacking. More items/different stuff customers ask for. Maybe the ability for people to be customers as well?
Basically the map is fun for a while, but it does get quite boring. Good work though.

Total Mark: 54/100
The Arena by Filmting

Lots of people have tried this genre, lots have failed. You didn't.

Has lots of info in the quests log, a nice loading screen and preview. Informative.

Terrain; 7/15
It's a nicely made arena, could use maybe some blood splats around where the fights happen and maybe a few bodies of dead gladiators/heroes.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance; 13/20
Leaks are cleaned mostly. You duplicate quite a few triggers.
You run multiple map start events which is quite un-needed. You don't destroy one-time triggers even though you destroy others.

Object Data; 10/10
Looked fine to me, not much to comment on because it all seemed fitting.

Gameplay; 20/30
It's a good game to be played about 2-12 times with a group of friends. Not much to offer though, I do like how items always return though.
I can see you put a lot of effort and time into this, good job on it. It's a well-made map.

Total Mark: 70/100
Hill Defense by kari

Terrain; 5/15

You don't clean your one-time triggers. You use multiple triggers when you only need one to place sfx's around for terrain.
Some of your spells easily bug and mess up. I don't see any effort of leak cleaning inside your wurst scripts unless frotty forgot to say when it converts/compiles into JASS that it adds remove locations for you.
You would of got better marks for this if your spells didn't bug up so badly.

Object Data; 8/10
Some values could be adjusted such as mammoth size.

Gameplay; 15/30
There is quite a few bugs, some by knockback which I didn't mind and the others were visually annoying. Your tinker hero is quite buggy, it spams the screen with created 3dsound created as well causes strips of lightning vertically on the ground to be there permantly and his abilities just simply stop working it looked like. I am not entirely sure about the TnT barrel spell.
It was overall easy, too short and easy I think. Cool mammoth boss, the paladin char is easily the best char.
It definately could of been one of the best entries. It has high replayability value and is a rather well-done hero defence. One of the better ones of the genre.

Total Mark: 63/100
Please keep in mind I hold no reason to mark anyone unfairly or be bias against anyone in any way.
Everyone got the marks they worked for.

|

Ring out
Originality
I guess I haven't played a warcraft 3 game like this.

Presentation
Well presented. But more should be done here.

Terrain
The terrain is too simple but is just right for the gameplay.

Triggers
Using JASS in trigerring makes the game efficient.

Object Data
Nicely done. I have nothing against.

gameplay
This game is really addicting. Too simple to play but there is the replayability in he core. Nice.

Total points 74

==============================================
Project Orb

Originality
Another bumpy humpy game. Nicely done.

Presentation
Most of he screen is white. Some text cannot be read clearly.

Terrain
There's nothing more I could say about the terrain but it is simpler than any other multi-player game because of the size of the map.

Triggers
Triggering is done wisely. Leaks are dealt with.

Object Data
I don't really like buttons you used here plus some texts in tooltips are hardly read.

gameplay
It is really hard to distinguish which orb you are playing with. This makes the gameplay too boring.

Total points 64

========================================
Microrunner TD

Originality
Well, this is another TD game but with a twist.

Presentation
Everything in the presentation of the game is just a usual way.

Terrain
Terrain is flat. For runners, it is good to have slopes and in the slopes, make the runner's speed decrease.

Triggers
This is the advantage of using JASS in triggering.

Object Data
Good job in your object data.

gameplay
The gameplay is cool. This is such a new TD game.

Total points 79

Shockwave war

Originality
Not so original. This one is DOTA like somewhat like an AOS.

Presentation
Nothing more on presentation but the usual way.

Terrain
Terrain is good. I like the variations you did.

Triggers
I see you did well in dealing with leaks.

Object Data
You really have done something good here.

gameplay
I don't like the idea of an AOS map without any creeps on either side. This will add more action in the game.

Total points 61

The Arena

Originality
I like this boss fight you have. The test of frienship is here. You defeat each boss with a group's tactics. The thing is that, this is not too much that original.

Presentation
Wow, it's all white at the loading screen. Why add some images or something like it.

Terrain
Terrain is just good for a boss fight. Having all those decorations is good the variation of tiles is just ok.

Triggers
I could not open the map in WE so, I could not give anything here.

Object Data
Nothing I could say here because you did the job well enough for a game.

gameplay
You can experience more fun with a friend beside you with this kind of game. The bosses increased in power once you have defeated one.

Total points 59

Ancient Protector

Originality
Nice planting man. I could say this one is really original.

Presentation
Presentation of the map is well enough. I appreciate your work.

Terrain
You did well with the terrain. I like how you did with the tile variations. Trees are well spaced for nice gameplay.

Triggers
I see no leaks in your triggers. Nicely done with it.

Object Data
The use of imported materials is good here. Tooltips are clear. Done good.

gameplay
It is a nice idea to randomly spawn enemies in all parts of the map. I like this game and I would like to play this not only once.

Total points 79

Pandaren Tavern

Originality
This is a usual game found in most phones whatsoever.

Presentation
You're presentation is just like any usual presentation out there.

Terrain
The terrin is simple. You used those tables right and some decorations are well used, too.

Triggers
I see a lot of leaks in your triggers you have to deal with this. You also use a lot of waits which, I guess, is not a good idea.

Object Data
Some icons do not fit what it intends to.

gameplay
Why do you need four workers of different tasks in a simple bar like this?

Total points 37
Playhard

Originality
This one is just like any other survival game.

Presentation
Your loading screen is nice I like it. I don't like the idea of using rainbowed texts in giving hints, though.

Terrain
The flat terrain makes the map worse. You don't have any tileset variations. You scaled the doodads too much.

Triggers
It is really not good to use waits in abilities unless you have it managed well. You have location leaks and other leaks unchecked.

Object Data
In some aspects, you did well here. One thing is that, dark red texts for shortcuts can't be read clearly. It is better to use the usual yellow ones.

gameplay
The gameplay is good at the start but becomes boring until the end as there is no other things you would do but kill, kill, kill.

Total points 23

Mortar

Originality
This survival game is nice. I could remember many like this. To mention some: Miranah Wars and Archer Wars.

Presentation
It is really good if you have a nice mini map. You're loading screen is just like any other loading screens.

Terrain
You have done good with your triggered terrain here.

Triggers
Nicely done. Leaks are cleared up.

Object Data
There is a gap between the two abilities here. As for the shortcut keys, you should have colored it.

gameplay
This one is a good game. You'll just have to use your bombs to destroy your enemies. One thing is that your item spawn is too often and too close to each other. It is better to have it a longer span of time until the second spawn comes out.

Total points 48
Marine Blood

Originality
What is this really?

Presentation
Nothing, only the preset warcraft 3 loading screen and everything is seen.

Terrain
Terrain is goo enough with tile variations and slopes but lacks decorations and such.

Triggers
The triggering is simple but leaks are managed well. In some manner, the triggers are not organized well.

Object Data
Nothing is special here. You did not have any to tell the player what to do. I could not see anything about the use of object data.

gameplay
Is this really a game. All I do is watch those little things pass through and walk towards the circle. What???

Total points 8

Creations Crucible

Originality
Woah, what a nice kind of survival game. So nature loving one.

Presentation
I'd really love to see a nice loading screen and a good mini map with this kind of game.

Terrain
Terrain is cool. Slopes are nicely done. Decorations and such are well placed. Use of tilesets fits the environment.

Triggers
Triggers are well organized. Leaks are managed well. Nothing more I could say but well done. Still, I would love to see JASS here.

Object Data
I like the icons you used, they fit with what they intend to. Good choice of some models. Texts are readable, mostly.

gameplay
Nice game indeed. I would play this aside from other warcraft 3 maps.

Total points 83
Hill Defense

Originality
This game is just like other games out there.

Presentation
I could not see anything good in your presentation. Maps, specially customs like this, should have a good loading screen to attract attention.

Terrain
Terrain is well made. You did well with this.

Triggers
I don't like the way you did with the triggers. It has no titles whatsoever. Some triggers are useless, why not delete them.

Object Data
I would really like to recommend using the quest tab to be used as your directions to direct players what to do. I like those imported icons you got here but I would also suggest to have some good models.

gameplay
The gameplay becomes boring at the middle of the game. How about adding some more special events?

Total points 41
Forsaken Island

Originality
This is a good map. I sometimes like RPGs.

Presentation
This map has a nice presentation. I like the loading screen and such. You also have a good mini-map.

Terrain
I say the terrain is crafted well. All things inside are well planned. GJ with this.

Triggers
Well use of JASS in your triggers.

Object Data
Nice use of imported materials. More so, the text are readable.

gameplay
An RPG. You need more time to roam around the map though it is small. Nice to those who like RPGs out there.

Total points 80
[/table]

results.png

summary_mcn9_hiveworkshop_ranking.jpg

First - Forsaken Island by Imago_
Second - Ancient Protector by ruleofiron99
Third - Creations Crucible by Kino

4th Dalvenger - Ring Out

5th Cokemonkey11 - MicrorunnerTD

6th TheWhiteWolf - Project Orb

7th Filmting - The Arena

8th AKA.GywGod133 - Shockwave War

9th kari0003 - Hill Defense

10th Guramax - The Pandaren Tavern

11th frettory - Mortar

12th Galles - Play Hard

13th noob - Marine Blood

Congratulations to the Winner!
NOTE: Any reactions about the result shall be dealt with accordingly. Please do that by PM to any judges stated above or by posting a thread in the staff contact if you like to do so.

Last edited:
What about Daffa the Mage and Frotty as judge? No reviews?

Edit: And would it be possible to use hidden tags to seperate the reviews? :) It's a bit unreadable, if all together are opened.

Daffa did not manage to do the reviews. Frotty did not finish reviewing all entries. We have already talked about this.

Level 25
Yeah, it looks like the next contest was already all planned out and was just waiting for this one's results. That should be a good one.

Speaking of results, I could hardly believe my eyes when I read that this was the results and not just the poll :prazz: Congratulations to the winners! First and second were so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.