• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9: Poll

Which one has the right to win? Vote for the best entry.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he wasn't warned. No, he wasn't aware. Yes he asked for a chance to still take part because he put a damn amount of hours into it, but as you see, he got disqualified - sadly, just because it is not allowed to use models of non-blizzard games. Imho this is rather harsh. It's not like the game is based on the models.

It pains me nearly as much as him since I know how much he wanted to take part.

It is now left to the contestants' decision, if they are fine with him competing. I got 3 votes so far out of 12. Of course, he must replace the models first, if he is to be allowed.

Let us all be reminded that all contests adhere to the map submission rules and site rules. And in the map submission rules we have this, to quote.
Ripped resources from other games are not allowed to be used, unless they are from another Blizzard Entertainment game or if their license permits the use in maps (proper proof for this use must be put in the description).
so, if Imago wants to pursue, he has to tell us that the ripped resource he use has been replaced by another resource, might be blizzard made or made from scratch or a modified version of blizzard resource. It is my apology that I noticed this late but the rules are clear in the mapping contest.

Level 25
I'm not entirely sure, but I think Valve is very relaxed with the licensing of their content. I've had a look around, and the closest thing I can find so far is in the Source Filmmaker FAQ:
Q. Can I make money with this tool?
Yes, but not if you’re using Valve’s assets in your movie. The tool is free for non-commercial use. You can use Valve’s game assets (things like characters, props, particles, textures, and sounds) to create movies and images to share with the game community, as long as what you create is free. We’re not giving you a license to commercialize our assets. However, if you do not include any of Valve’s assets in the movies and images that you make, then there are no restrictions on what you do with your content and you can make money with it.

Of course this doesn't mention anything about modding other games, but I think it's a good indication that it isn't an issue for a free mod for a 10+ year old game.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

He's already been removed from the poll, think they've made their wrong decision as of now :(

Level 25
I was able to write up a really long review on every entry but hell I don't know where I saved the file (and my PCs busted now) so I guess I'll just vote up which of the entry I picked as the best.

Voted for ruleofiron99's Ancient Protector. That entry is really fun and made me spend a whole afternoon playing the map.

Thanks!

I would really like to hear your feedback on my map, if you could perhaps just summarise the main points or so.

Level 25
I think for future contests we need a backup plan for when judging takes too long. For last year's farming contest we had to wait 5 months, so this isn't an isolated incident. PCs can crash, data can get lost, things can happen IRL.

Please note I'm not trying to put blame on eubz or any of the other judges, I just think we need to make backup plans for if this happens again.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Yes, and unlike the others I actually submitted my reviews on time.
For anyone interested, unchanged since July 27 : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14gFuou5OXmqCqCMov1DUVRQP3VcMhPQrEpkB-RioG8w/edit

I was totally focusing on the gameplay and I get 7 for it just because tooltips thingy LOL? Me and WhiteWolf (project orb) remove as many tooltips as possible to gain perfect mini-game and stand-alone game feeling. And you are obviously misunderstand the "gameplay" category.
The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
There's nothing to do with tooltips. And even if I added tooltips, same thing will happen: you will be knocked out even before your started to read second word LOL.

New movement mechanism is not a bad thing but something special instead. Biggest point of WhiteWolf's entry is his unique movement, he understand my movement is weird (means hard) then he added something like auto-move where the wheels are automatically moving to the last order point. I was saying "wow, nice idea!" so I have no idea why you dislike our new movement mechanisms. You don't value creativity and something new.

If you take the judgement that my game doesn't require any tactics then I can say your are taking it way too early. I hope I can upload my videos on how I play my own game to show you how amazingly tactical my game is. Common fault of contest judges are they don't spend enough time with entries, resulting in bad understanding about what's exposed about the entry.

And I can't take that word "Ring Out is similar to Project Orb". Because technically, he (WhiteWolf) remake his entry right after I submit my final entry. So I don't get how come his entry has greater score in term of originality? (in case our entries have familiar gameplay)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Gonna post the result soon. Please, buy me more time. RLS and such things are owning me at this point.
Okay. You have a couple days, after that I'm appointing a new host.

For future reference, just designate another host/judge if things aren't moving fast enough. You have three finished judgings and that's more than enough. Real life shit happens to everyone and in that case it's better to pass it on than to sit on it for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.