• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #12 - Organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Okay, I'm going to make this official: I'm not going to finish my map for this contest, that means I don't participate. Good luck to you all! And don't be so lazy like me, finish your entries, because so far all of them look really promising. :smile:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

does acquiring stuff counts towards this map theme?

My idea is a multiplayer resource gathering game towards a random goal. Like gather 7 food or 5 gold.
With minimalistic combat, some item purchases and some ... nefarious stealing.

Or does it literally have to be "growing?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
As long as you're building something up while collecting those resources, you should be fine. Even a melee map could fit under the contest's theme category, since you have to build/expand in order to win.

Level 11
I'm no where near a playable state by any means, but just to post some type of WIP I'm attaching some images of some variables and shiz...

To give a better Idea of what this does ... These are 100% randomly generated planets. So at the moment, it does kind of look like stuff was vomited onto the map because I haven't added any systems as to "how" things should spawn, but rather I'm working on color schemes. This is more or less a base system.

Below are 3 of the Planets 'Colors' (8 total). Each Planet currently has a base color tile and then 2 tiles that are set at random (that fit's the color scheme of the planet). There are 3 different Tile Variations with 2 tiles in each Variation for every planet generated.

229649-albums8505-picture102890.png
229649-albums8505-picture102889.png

229649-albums8505-picture102888.png
229649-albums8505-picture102887.png
229649-albums8505-picture102886.png

229649-albums8505-picture102885.png
229649-albums8505-picture102884.png
229649-albums8505-picture102883.png

Attachments

• Variables1.PNG
    Variables1.PNG
    240.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Variables2.PNG
    Variables2.PNG
    62.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Triggers.PNG
    Triggers.PNG
    140 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

As long as you're building something up while collecting those resources, you should be fine. Even a melee map could fit under the contest's theme category, since you have to build/expand in order to win.

Well I'm not building anything up, its a collection and acquire game. But you do work towards a goal and you do "acquire" resource in order to achieve it. You can also buy some stuff which is again growing.

The best question that comes to mind is - is this map theme a progression theme? If yes, then my map is progression based, because you acquire stuff and acquire points to win. You don't grow goblins out of a goblin tree, but you grow in terms of gameplay.

Level 13
Well I'm not building anything up, its a collection and acquire game. But you do work towards a goal and you do "acquire" resource in order to achieve it. You can also buy some stuff which is again growing.

The best question that comes to mind is - is this map theme a progression theme? If yes, then my map is progression based, because you acquire stuff and acquire points to win. You don't grow goblins out of a goblin tree, but you grow in terms of gameplay.

Think more laterally; you are building up a reserve of your collection/acquired materials to reach X goal.

You shouldn't really be doubting yourself.

Level 11
That sounds like it'll have a very good replay factor. I imagine certain planets will be much more of a pain to colonize than others with all of the different statistics you mentioned before :prazz:

I'm hoping for replay value.
Yes, some planets are going to be awful from a colonization stand point...

Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew in the amount of time left though.

I have most of the systems in my head and how I want all of that to affect the player, it's just getting the time to implement them that's gonna determine it. Hunting down fitting doodad models has slowed me down a tad bit too.

I was hoping for another doodleville WIP from you though Tickles :ogre_hurrhurr:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Okay, I'm officially joining. Here are 5 pix of my WIP

CS1.jpg
CS2.jpg
CS3.jpg
CS4.jpg
CS5.jpg

I've decided to go for a different type of map. A map where you exploit murlocs to mine gold, goblins to chop wood while you sit on your fat ass and watch the money roll in. This map is literally upgrade after upgrade after upgrade. It will be a 4X multiplayer map with some goal like "gather trillion gold" or "horribly murder everyone else" or something along those lines.

Level 11
I've decided to go for a different type of map. A map where you exploit murlocs to mine gold, goblins to chop wood while you sit on your fat ass and watch the money roll in. This map is literally upgrade after upgrade after upgrade. It will be a 4X multiplayer map with some goal like "gather trillion gold" or "horribly murder everyone else" or something along those lines.

Throw in some corporate sabotage, and you got yourself some good 'ole cut-throat modern business.

Level 11
Another WIP.

Improved Terrain Generation, Added Minerals (rocks), and changed the way the vegetation spawns.
- Still randomly Generated Planets

-The Grey Tiles shown in the pictures are built. Structures require these tiles before they can be placed.

Attachments

• PlanetWIP.PNG
    PlanetWIP.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 192
  • PlanetWIP2.PNG
    PlanetWIP2.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 117
  • PlanetWIP3.PNG
    PlanetWIP3.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 161
  • PlanetWIP4.PNG
    PlanetWIP4.PNG
    3.1 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Level 11
Here's a look at the other possible planets.

Probably will add different mineral (rock) types per planet, just to add more diversity. After that I'm working on Wildlife (Hostile Creature) Generation.

Still haven't made it to the core gameplay part and running out of time to do so...

Attachments

• PlanetWIP6.PNG
    PlanetWIP6.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 123
  • PlanetWIP7.PNG
    PlanetWIP7.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 102
  • PlanetWIP8.PNG
    PlanetWIP8.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 167
  • PlanetWIP9.PNG
    PlanetWIP9.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
Level 23
Here's a look at the other possible planets.

Probably will add different mineral (rock) types per planet, just to add more diversity. After that I'm working on Wildlife (Hostile Creature) Generation.

Still haven't made it to the core gameplay part and running out of time to do so...

I feel you.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I started an internship at a company this monday and while not being too busy, my schedule has changed now. Don't know if I will finish my map on time. Will try, but if I don't have a working map by the end - you can at least know why.

Level 21
I imagine the cinematic contest will be sapping a lot from this contest, but I'm still determined to finish my entry for this one. These are some unfinished minigames for Doodlecraft. I'm working on making the colored blobs divide into smaller/faster fragments in the second minigame.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I imagine the cinematic contest will be sapping a lot from this contest, but I'm still determined to finish my entry for this one. These are some unfinished minigames for Doodlecraft. I'm working on making the colored blobs divide into smaller/faster fragments in the second minigame.

damn...

This looks out of this world... of warcraft.

Seriously, it looks a game made in flash or something. Brilliant.

Level 21
Very unique style.I think I know who I'm going to vote for

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I'm probably not finishing my map for the contest unfortunately. Too many things to do the next few days. Good luck everyone.

Meanwhile I got plenty of time but lost interest once the systems were done.

I only like coding systems because that's actually challenging. Default gameplay triggers are too simple to be entertaining :-/

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Is everyone bailing? :\

I'm still in it and I might finish my map in time.

However that flash game skewered my motivation because it looks insane. Though looks and gameplay aren't everything, my map might be better in mechanics and concept.

We'll see

Well while tickle's map will likely be pretty neat I think it will lose quite a few points.
there is basically 0 terrain
That's not how proper judging works, lol.

Anywho, Tickles, I hope you realize yourself how good you are. Sometimes it scares me that you don't.

sentrywiz, don't give up! We need competition in here.

Level 32
Well while tickle's map will likely be pretty neat I think it will lose quite a few points.
there is basically 0 terrain and while there are minigames which are neatly made, I would not personally find them very funny.

Lol? This is why I change a terrain grading categories' name to Visuals and Aesthetics. That's basically what's being graded, the visuals.

Level 21
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It makes it feel more worthwhile when trying something different.
Though looks and gameplay aren't everything, my map might be better in mechanics and concept.
I agree with this completely. I only add more work for myself by changing Warcraft as much as possible, because it keeps it fun enough for me to finish the map (assuming I don't bite off more than I can chew).

With people starting to trickle off, I hope there's still at least a handful of contestants still working on their maps. Kino looks like he's setting up a unique style of environment (like usual :prazz:), and the farming maps looked fun to play. And sentrywiz's seems like a funny parody on business ethics.
I'm probably not finishing my map for the contest unfortunately. Too many things to do the next few days. Good luck everyone.
Nooo! Your concept sounded the coolest with all of the generated variations. I hope you continue it in the map development section if you can't finish it for the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.