• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #11 - Treasure Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

treasure.jpg

Treasure Hunt
While the kids have Easter Egg hunts, we'll have a treasure hunt of our own! Create a map best fitting the theme "treasure hunt". This could be a pot of gold at the end of a dungeon, or a pirate's parchment leading you to a valuable chest, just as long as there is treasure involved!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline in the contest thread. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited. You may make new models, icons, etc specifically for the contest.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • All other participants, including judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• eubz
  • Cokemonkey11
  • Open spot
  • Open spot
Please contact me by PM or post in this thread if you'd like to judge. Preference will be given to experienced judges.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality/Creativity
Does the map offer interesting and new ideas, mechanics or other aspects? Includes creativity in both visuals and gameplay mechanics.
Theme
How well does the map follow the chosen theme?
A mini game about being the first to find a treasure chest would score well, a tower defense or dota-like would not.
Aesthetics
Is the map pleasing to look at? Are models and textures chosen well to fit together?
Includes terrain, imports chosen, custom art made for the map, visual design, etc.
Gameplay
Is it fun or engaging?
Includes design of abilities, characters, balance, replayability (if applicable), and storyline for story-driven maps. A dota-like would not be original, but it would score highly in gameplay if it's well made.
Triggers/Code/Performance
How well is the map coded?
Includes errors, bugs, performance issues.
Polish
General polish all-round the map. e.g. abilities have hotkeys, all units have icons, custom interface changes have a custom tooltip.
  • 65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 3 April, 2015 and conclude on 3 May, 2015 11:59 PM 10 May 2015, GMT
  • The judging shall begin as soon as the contest concludes.
    • Judges are expected to complete their scores within 2 weeks. (this period can be extended if we have >5 entries)
    • If at least 2 judges have finished judging by the deadline while the others have not, only the completed scores will be taken into account.
  • The poll will be created as soon as the contest concludes, and will be active for two weeks.

entries.png

User
WIPs
Entry
Kino
WIP 1
The Catacomb Chronicles
Rex.
WIP 1

Sclammerz
WIP 1 WIP 2
Treasure Rush
Chaosy
WIP 1

DD_legionTN
WIP 1 WIP 2
The Mystery of Vigolateria
PROXY
WIP 1

Quilnez
WIP 1

ZiBitheWand3r3r
WIP 1
Treasure Hunt

Attachments

• DD_legionTN The Mystery of Vigolateria Fixed.w3x
    829.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Kino Catacomb Chronicles v0.1.w3x
    552.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Sclammerz TreasureRush.w3x
    8.3 MB · Views: 326
  • ZiBitheWand3r3r TreasureHunt003.w3x
    2.1 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Level 25
Does fighting for certain treasures count? Ex. Dwarf miners fight for a special item?

Depends on how you do it. If some dwarf miners are defending against waves of goblins and receive a reward at the end... the goblins would be doing the actual treasure hunt, not the dwarves. A hunt usually implies some searching, discovery and adventure.

Level 25
I like to join too but I think my knowledge about mapping is limited. So, anyways goodluck to all!

A mapping contest like this is the best way to improve your skills. It forces you to make a small map without the ambition of greater projects that never get done.

Pick a simple idea, add a few easy systems and polish it. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from making just a small map.

Level 23
A mapping contest like this is the best way to improve your skills. It forces you to make a small map without the ambition of greater projects that never get done.

Pick a simple idea, add a few easy systems and polish it. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from making just a small map.

Thanks for your nice words. I already have some simple ideas in my mind. I'll just try.

This contest looks awesome. And what a coincidence! I was about to plan an Archaeological map just now. However, I think I might not reach the deadline since I'm a sluggish worker.

EDIT: I think I'm joining. Will post some Screenies soon. If I can't make it in time though, I'll turn it into a side project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.