• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #10 - Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
0.png

MMC10SurvivalEdited.jpg

Survival
Contestants are required to create a map fitting the survival theme.
Zombie apocalypse? Yes.
Lost on an island? Yes.
Temple run? Debatable, but probably yes.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All the entries must be unprotected so that the triggers and scripts can be looked at.

prizes.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

Dalvengyr
GreeN!X
There is one more open judging spot.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Area
DescriptionPoints

Originality:
Map must be original, a simple copy of another map might get less points for the gameplay and originality, but if the terrain and everything are fine, then you would still have some points. We want to see unique things and cool ideas.You can score up to 15 points here.

Map Presentation/Design:
Author name, map name, category, type, description, links ingame on loading screen, messages in-game are very important.
How good the map preview or the loading screen image are, check tooltips, quest menu, icons all around (hero/unit stats, interface, tooltips etc).
Same colored icons and spell effects as well as models (like green for poison hero) are better than random ones.
Passive icons on active ones or vice versa are bad.
Check UI and game constants as well.
You can score up to 10 points here.

Terrain:
Please take care, some maps use a generated terrain (created with triggers), thus the preview image may show an empty map.
Negative things are empty, plain, single-tile terrains, without environmental doodads or any kind of terrain style.
Good things are special effect doodads (to make the terrain a little animated), lighting, fog, terrain styles or custom resources.
You can score up to 15 points here.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance:
Bugs, errors and performance issues will reduce your score. (Everything created with triggers is usually the case) However if there are just small bugs/errors, then you probably won't get a lower score.
Memory leaks are the main problem, systems and spells should be more or less lag-free/errorless.
(Even protected maps can show how good the user's triggering skills are, for example check if there are any performance issues when units are spawned.)
Be noted that all final entries should be a none-optimized version of your map so that judges can take a look at triggers for many issues that may arise. Optimized final entries will lead to disqualification.
You can score up to 20 points here.

Object Data:
Units' size ingame, selection size, how good creeps look like. (small skeleton with sword, normal with bow and another one with axe is better than ogre, gnoll and murloc -> Creeps should not be completely random and very different from each other).
In other words check how good abilities and stats fit to units.
Maps with a huge file size are horrible, no one will wait 2 minutes long to download a map on battle.net. (unless single player)
That's why we need to check imported resources.
MP3 files can be edited, the quality can be reduced and thus a lot of space can be saved, simple effect sounds without voice can be reduced even to 32 kbps in some cases, for voices don't go below 50.
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.
Same thing goes for textures, if you can reduce the quality from 100-75% and thus the size will go down from 40-70% in some cases.
You can score up to 10 points here.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
You can score up to 30 points here.

65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on December 3rd and conclude on [highlight]January 15th[/code]

Last edited by a moderator:

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Add me tooo..
I've been away from the world editor for tooo long, can u start the contest only after. The 15 of September?

Level 16
I'll probably make something similar to my favorite flash game. I forgot the name of it but it's a zombie themed game. In the day you allot time to various activities like looking for food, weapons, etc, spending time to rebuild your defenses, and other stuff. At night is when you defend your fort(with other survivors if you rescued any) from waves of zombies.

I'll probably make something similar to my favorite flash game. I forgot the name of it but it's a zombie themed game. In the day you allot time to various activities like looking for food, weapons, etc, spending time to rebuild your defenses, and other stuff. At night is when you defend your fort(with other survivors if you rescued any) from waves of zombies.

I remember playing that a few weeks ago... I can't remember what it's called :(

However I think Daffa and Eubz would appreciate you guys waiting a bit.

Yeah, I suppose we will wait quite a while...

Level 21
Should this one be started soon or after Christmas/New Years? A lot of people will be busy around that time, but they'll also have some time off work and school. Or maybe it can be started now and last a month and a half or something.

Great!
I'm looking forward to it.

I have an idea that should be simple enough to make a complete entry from but lets me expand on the intended idea.
If I don't come up with a better idea I'll stick to the one I have now when the contest starts (if I end up participating at all that is :s).

Edit: Btw would it be legal in this contest to use a system in development but can be used for public use just like my system(It has a pretty annoying bug(s) that I haven't been able to solve yet so it's not officially released)?
(Btw I probably will be planning on making an update for it some time soon.)

Level 25

My entry will be about surviving against the sea - literally. The sea level will gradually rise, and you will lose when your hero/base becomes completely submerged.

You will need to constantly battle to raise the height of your island, using things like volcano spells or units that pump sand to the surface. There will be murloc invasions.

Due to the buggy nature of terrain deformations, this will have to be single player only.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

My entry will be about surviving against the sea - literally. The sea level will gradually rise, and you will lose when your hero/base becomes completely submerged.

You will need to constantly battle to raise the height of your island, using things like volcano spells or units that pump sand to the surface. There will be murloc invasions.

Due to the buggy nature of terrain deformations, this will have to be single player only.
That is a elegantly simple idea, RulerofIron. Much luck.

Level 14
I am in! had something i was planning that will be perfect and what a perfect time to start!

(entirely randomly generated survival map that will focus on surviving the elements and establishing yourself for after a year has passed, it will swap to surviving the invaders from other realms to kick up difficulty. It will be a single player map that I plan to later turn into a campaign so when you drive back the invaders you can then enter their dimensions and have new stuff to explore!)

think much harder don't starve warcraft 3 style lol

bad idea? good idea? I dunno but I am sure going to have fun with this, gl hf guys!

Level 21
Agreed. It's a simple concept with a lot of potential for more complex additions to revolve around it.
bad idea? good idea?
Good idea if you find a way to blend combat with the initial part of the game. Maybe the player can eventually craft and refine equipment/curatives for later use in combat?

I think I'll do something about ninjas. I've been feeling like jamming shurikens into someone's neck lately.

Level 19
Curious as I've never entered a minimapping contest before - can they be multiplayer? when i think survival i think hunger games :eek:

though i really should not enter this because in this time period i have finals, gotta get my javascript compiler done to be OS'd, and my j(fx)UI done >.> if i get something strikingly good i might devote a couple hours to it

Level 25
Curious as I've never entered a minimapping contest before - can they be multiplayer? when i think survival i think hunger games :eek:

Yes.

Thanks!

Maybe it still can't be fixed with walkables, but that's easy to avoid as well. As long as you don't do calculations based off of the height of terrain points it is fine. Infection happens to store the heights for every terrain point.

I just did some testing both with and without height calculations while lanning it with another local PC, had no disconnects. Maybe it only happens when playing online (more latency). I had a look at your infection map, looks like you're only making deformations during setup. When you've played it online, have you ever encountered players leaving/disconnecting during this?

Level 14
List

Here is a list of everyone who has said they will join on this forum with quotes! (Gabriono started a list but has not updated it since but since I am very active I will also try to help keep track ^_^)

(People 100% in)
Imforfun (ME!)
I am in! had something i was planning that will be perfect and what a perfect time to start!

(Entirely randomly generated survival map that will focus on surviving the elements and establishing yourself for after a year has passed, it will swap to surviving the invaders from other realms to kick up difficulty. It will be a single player map that I plan to later turn into a campaign so when you drive back the invaders you can then enter their dimensions and have new stuff to explore!)
Think much harder don't starve warcraft 3 style lol

Bad idea? Good idea? I dunno but I am sure going to have fun with this, gl hf guys!

rulerofiron99
I'm in. The starting date is a bit soon, but I'm okay with it.

Gabriono
I'm in... my first contest :)

Bethmachine

Add me tooo..
I've been away from the world editor for tooo long, can u start the contest only after. The 15 of September?

GywGod133

DeathChef
Great!
I'm looking forward to it.

I have an idea that should be simple enough to make a complete entry from but lets me expand on the intended idea.
If I don't come up with a better idea I'll stick to the one I have now when the contest starts (if I end up participating at all that is :s).

Edit: Btw would it be legal in this contest to use a system in development but can be used for public use just like my system(It has a pretty annoying bug(s) that I haven't been able to solve yet so it's not officially released)?
(Btw I probably will be planning on making an update for it some time soon.)

bowser499
Hey, I'd love to participate here!
This is totally one of my favorite thematics and this time it'll be something outstanding! ^_^

Rex.

Rufus

bisnar13
Can I still join? Well if yes, then I will join. :)

(People who might be in but not 100% sure)
GunSlinger
This looks awesome. I think I'll join.

Chen
I may join, but yes, I will. Will just make a very simple map.

Aeroblyctos
I could probably join with a small mini-map survival theme.

Dat-C3
Well I will join as judge or contestant. If judges aren't needed then I will enjoy making an entry. =)

However I think Daffa and Eubz would appreciate you guys waiting a bit.

Remixer
I think I am trying to compete. I am working on my map already, it will be pretty unique compared to normal Warcraft III maps.

Kino
Holy shit, I missed the start by 12ish days

Okay.

Freyleyes
Its been some time since I used the editor, but this can be fun

War3Citizen
my favorite,might join if time is enough! :D

TheHerb
unsure if i need to state interest before the due date, so just in case i'm working on something.

Zeatherann
I think I will put my name back in. Someone has to take last place again right? Once I have my map's features and description honed and fleshed a bit more I'll make my official entry post.

GenFrogKing
Man, I'm totally late to this party, but as soon as I saw the contest name, I had to join!

I'll see what I can throw together before the deadline.

Total: 21 people - 11 people 100% known in - 10 people not 100% sure but are most likely in.

Edit: removed Arhowk from the not 100% sure list : ), gl with exams Arhowk!
Edit: added Rufus! welcome.
Edit: removed Zeatherann, hope you do well with MineralZ!
Edit: added Remixer!
Edit: added Kino
Edit: added Freyleyes
Edit: added War3Citizen and TheHerb AND readded Zeatherann
Edit: added GenFrogKing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.