• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #8 - Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

★ Escape ★

Contestants are required to create any type of escape map - For example the
main characters are expected to run away from something, or someone, while
keeping their heads on their shoulders.

Participants in this contest are free to pick from any genre of map they would
like to create, as long as it follows the theme, bringing mysterious happenings,
horrifying scenes and last, but not least, some sort of escape.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

No submission may violate any of the site rules.
If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
All submissions must follow the current theme.
If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
Your submission must be posted before the deadline.
The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
Good enough presentation to be accepted.
The file in the appropriate format.​
You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
Judges may not participate.
Teamwork is not allowed.
Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.​
Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
All the entries must be unprotected so that the triggers and scripts can be looked at.​

prizes.png

First Place: +60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: +40 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: +20 reputation points and an award icon

+10 (base) +1.5 (per entry) reputation to judges

judges.png

bowser499
Hell_Master
Hera_
Available slot - ask me if you want to judge.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality
Your entry has to be original.
Copies and already seen features might get lesser amount of points,
but if everything else is done properly, you will still have some score in this section.
Unique things and cool ideas, as well as freedom in innovation will give you high score.

Score: 15​
Map Presentation & Design
Author's name, Map name, Category, Type, Description, Links on loading screen and Messages
ingame are very important.
How good the Map preview and Loading screens are, tooltips, quests, icons, interface, unit stats,
colors in text - are they done properly?
Icons that fit models and special effects will score more than random ones.
Passive icons on active skills, and vice verse will also reduce score.
Uninformative tooltips are never a good thing.
User Interface and Game Constants also take place in scoring in this section.

Score: 10​
Terrain
Note: Since some maps can use generated terrain, which is created via triggers, the map preview
may show nothing.
Negative things are plain, single-tiled, empty, environmental-less, style-less terrains.
Positive things are special effects as doodads, animated doodads, custom lightning, fog and resources.
Pathing also takes place in scoring.

Score: 25​
Efficiency & Performance of Triggers
Everything created with triggers takes a part in scoring.
Low score is acquired with heavy amounts of bugs, errors, leaks and other performance issues.
However, if the amount of them isn't high, your score won't drop down too much.
Systems and abilities should be lagless and leakless.

Object Data
Size of units and their selection scales are counted in here, as well as their tinting.
Creeps should be arranged in such way that they do not differ too much one from another
(Ogre, murlock and Night Elven Archer are bad choice. Huntress, Druid and Dryad make a good one).
All in one, checked fields are how good the statistics and the abilities are fitting units.
Map size is also considered in scoring, and takes a large portion of it.
Lower map size, with imports that are effectively used, will score more than maps filled to
their cap (unless it's a single player, or a cinematic). Imported resources are mostly models,
sounds and textures. Sounds mustn't have way too large size (Example: three sounds for cap of 8 MB).
Optimized skins and models (as well as sounds) will give a good score.

Gameplay
This the main aspect of any map.
How much the users are able to customize their games, such as game modes, difficulties and commands?
Special events, hidden quests, systems (Not their efficiency, but their impact on map's fun factor),
original ideas - all of these increase your score.
Balance also has a large impact on the score, as well as time duration per game, and can the map be
finished without major issues and problems.
New user friendliness also belongs to this category.
Everything else that can't be listed in any other category goes here.

Score: 30​

Total Score: 100

40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.*
60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).**

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 20 October 2013 and conclude on 31 December 2013, GMT

disclaimer.png

* In case of 3 or more judges, there will be no public voting.
** However if we don't find suitable judges I will take that responsibility and reputation rule will be ignored in my case.
All questions related to contest could be placed below in this thread or you can contact me.

Last edited:
Thats what I am saying, here only frends vote for for frends, or if u are have fame in contest area they guess your entry is good and thats why they give u vote. Best excample is last spell contest (about portals), at least 60% of public vote was complete bullshit. I wont say names but voting for classic charge who, with too much looping effect that also leaks like hell and someone voted for that? Also one of the worst spells and it reached I think in top 3, and judges do the job I am sure it wont be in top 5. It is not fault of the contesters, they can be good or bad, but voters are people who are ruining contest. In that contest I am sure I war only one who actually checked all spell, checked and in game and in we, and guy who had my totaly objective vote had only one vote before me. So kobas please judge should be at least 70% or even better no public vote. Please think about it before u reject me. I do this because I think that entire contest will be better

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Basically it is form of teamwork. Some other guys could ask same for help with triggers and so on.
But we can't judge something we don't know right ;)

it's not a problem for judges, they just have to check what's visible. It's not really a matter. Bcause, only unfair "players" do that, if someone win the contest with an "invisible" teamwork, so it's not a real winning. I think I'm just gonna keep my step on the rules

and
It would be nice if there is a poll no matter, even if they the votes aren't going to go towards the scores.

Agree with him :)

EDIT:
and about submission
do we need to post a thread about our entry? if yes, so where?

Level 25
and about submission
do we need to post a thread about our entry? if yes, so where?
You need to post a few WIP screenshots (to show that it's a freshly-made map by you) in this thread sometime throughout the duration of the contest. The simplest way is just to place them directly into your post using the Manage Attachments button when creating your post.

Kazeon

Level 33
You need to post a few WIP screenshots (to show that it's a freshly-made map by you) in this thread sometime throughout the duration of the contest. The simplest way is just to place them directly into your post using the Manage Attachments button when creating your post.

umm, what's WIP?

The simplest way is just to place them directly into your post using the Manage Attachments button when creating your post.

I dont get this part :( forget it :p so where can I post the thread?

Level 25

Attachments

• NotReallyAScreenshot.jpg
    NotReallyAScreenshot.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 190
Level 13
It sounds like an intresting contest which I am designing a game concept around and wanted to make a prototype for (in the editor), however I do have a small question. Must the game be a warcraft3 mod or am I allowed to make starcraft2 mod as well? (which might be my intent for the prototype/this submission)

It sounds like an intresting contest which I am designing a game concept around and wanted to make a prototype for (in the editor), however I do have a small question. Must the game be a warcraft3 mod or am I allowed to make starcraft2 mod as well? (which might be my intent for the prototype/this submission)
Warcraft 3 only :))

Kazeon

Level 33
I just started my entry I was thinking some kind of 1-4 player escape RPG. Maybe some cinematics here and there.

So not at least a gay world... Let's see how this will go.

you mean some niggas in the game? :p kinda cool

btw, is it allowed to upload a system for the entry into a thread to check is that system is working for mpi or not?

Level 37
you mean some niggas in the game? :p kinda cool

No, no, no niggers. That was a joke before just like my sexy avatar.

Does it matter if the map is singleplayer or multiplayer, and if it does, which is better?

Actually I'm thinking same. I will probably do it like you can play the game both ways.

Level 25
Does it matter if the map is singleplayer or multiplayer, and if it does, which is better?
I imagine it's a lot easier for judges to test single player maps, but making it just as enjoyable both ways (like Aero is planning) would probably score the most brownie points. It's always nice to have the option to play an escape game with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.