• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Poll

Icon Contest #12 Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

icon.png
contest.png

number.png
1.png
2.png

Spells on Different Units

The contestants are to pick 4 units/heroes from Warcraft III and make them use 4 different abilities(ex. Murloc using Stomp, Footman using Ensnare, Ghoul using Evasion, etc). Also, the contestants may pick only 1 unit/hero if they desire so, but it still needs to use 4 different abils.

Welcome to the poll for Icon Contest #12! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon

Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon

Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

Blood Raven - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2569098-post393.html

Just_Spectating - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2569811-post407.html

morbent - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2571727-post481.html

Mad - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2571780-post486.html

kola - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2572237-post496.html

Chenralstrasz - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2574937-post558.html

Sin'dorei300 - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2575235-post564.html

Justicebringer - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2575409-post570.html

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

209577-albums5234-picture86383.png

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

The short version:
Blood Raven - I liked your icons, they really fit well together, but they could have used some polishing, and your second icon (the hand) looks rushed

Morbent - VERY high quality icons, however they did not stand out to me. Most of them were not very creative, just the mana burn was my favorite. your critical strike reminds me too much of WoW's Gouge, your endurance aura really just looks like one that warcraft 3 already has, and the immolation just looks like a different angle of hand of the same immolation (with blue flames? haha thats cool but i've never seen a blue immolation)

Mad - very cool ideas with nice execution as well, they also fit together very well! I can't really tell what abilities are being shown but i guess that can make them useful for anything

kola - also very creative, i love the path you chose, the only thing i would have to say is the windwalk and breath of fire don't compare to the thunderclap and immolation. Windwalk seems a little rushed

Chenralstrasz - I have to say, they have a definite style to them, and they look pretty well together, too bad they're not all for the same unit. They could have used a bit more definition and sharpening, to match a more warcraft 3 feel. but other than that good job.

Sin'dorei300 - also very nice icons that represent their respective abilities quite well. Something about the critical strike still feels so awkward to me, but the quality is still above average

Justicebringer - since i never saw your w.i.p.s and your entry was pretty last moment, i couldn't get a good look at your icons. they look well together and the theme is pretty awesome, but they could also use some more definition, especially the finger of death, that one is my favorite.

My vote is either between Mad and Sin'dorei300
this is a hard decision.
I guess i have to go with Sin'dorei300 because his icons were more appropriate for this contest.

EDIT: What happened to all my icons in my presentation post?

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Voted for Morbent, but all other icons are good too. Good job everyone :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Wow! What a great contest. Well-attended, and (somewhat to my surprise) a serious bevy of contenders. Not a clear winner in the bunch, I'd say. Everyone did a commendable job, but for me, "Fitting to Warcraft" is the most important category, so it came down to 5 for me personally:

• Morbent, you had some seriously good stuff. You really appealed to my favorite of color combinations (blue & black) with your wide-ranging icon-abilities. The ImmolationOn & Paladin-Hammer were perhaps my two favorite. Your only flaw? Perhaps just a smidge too good; for Warcraft, that is.
  • Kola, you continue to impress me. You took the most unlikely of characters (the Peasant) and made him a Hero. +10 for the comical juxtaposition. :p Of your icons, I think they are best in descending order as well; Immolation & Thunderclap are both evocative & meaningful, most fitting to Warcraft 3. Breath of Fire is good, but a bit lacking (hard to say, but the 'bigger-mouth' suggestion was a good start), and Wind Walk looks... Eh, Not entirely done? Sorry. But great artwork all around.
  • Sin'dorei300, you have perhaps the greatest variety of any contestant (you & morbent both), while still maintaining an excellent level of artistry. I commend you for really thinking outside the box. That being said, there was a certain "artsi-ness" that, like morbent, causes your icons to look just a tad out of place. It's little, but it's there. "Fan of Feathers" was creative (though the brightness washes it out); "Charm" was nifty (though the face is TOO GOOD... and the eye-flash could be more emphasized); "Critical Strike" was viscerally satisfying (but a little... ah dannae, looked 'painted' rather than real?), and War Stomp was necessary (though a bit wonky). Beautiful.
  • JusticeBringer, you really surprised me. Not only with your speed & efficacy, but primarily with your talent; I don't think of barely heard of you in the artistic endeavors. But you brought with you a schweet idea, solid artistry & good design/color-theory. Once again, like kola you elevated the common Acolyte to heroic stature; kudos for creativity & comedy :p. Past that, you actually created a reasonable skillset (Hero Contest, anyone? :p (Never mind, can't find the link...) with some really creative icons. I loved them all... If I had to pick a favorite, I love the expression of the (ogre?) on Charm, and Ethereal Form is suitably despicable, and I love voodoo dolls (?)... But that Finger of Death is just sinister & poignant. Your biggest flaw is that without fail, all of your icons are just a tad too blurry. I cannot tell what Dark Ritual is without the big image (and even then), and the others are similarly struggling. Warcraft consists of high-contrast & bright-colors; even the dark greens & purples, surprisingly. Something to consider; otherwise an excellent set.
    But my vote ultimately went to:
  • Mad, you stole the stage, the cake, and my heart. I will be accused of favoritism here... And it's true. There's a reason I trusted you with my Trolls. Your utter inability to deviate from Warcraft's style, your flowy & delicious eye-candy icons that are full of devious, cackling skulls & mischievous, crackling energies. Personal favorites are really in descending order from your presentation; the Rain of Skull-fire & Essence of Blight are best IMO, with the spooky Life Drain taking 2nd and the Skull-fire-bomb being 3rd (it was awexome, but it strikes me as a 'warm-up'; you got better over time :p). Perhaps your only sin was not enough variety, TOO MUCH SKULLZ... But that's only a problem depending on who you ask. :p And if you're asking me?
    Well stoppit, don't make me blush.

Congratulations all who entered! Lookin' forward to the next one. : )

Level 7
Mad, Morbent and Sindorei delivered some fantastic icons. However I highly preferred Mad's icons at start until morbent gave those wonderful icons. Just like all others, due to variation, I had to choose Morbent as the better and vote for him *just because I can I vote to one entry*.

Status
Not open for further replies.