• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Please Read the Rules!
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

hero.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

Theme: FACTION/ALTAR
Style: SOLO ~ IN-GAME RESOURCES

heroes-wow%25255B7%25255D.jpg

You may remember THW's successful series of Hero Contests... This time around though, we're going back to basics and bringing it home to good ol' Warcraft. A familiar favorite with a twist; the guidelines for this contest are unique! With good planning & execution, the end result will be worthy of taking a spot in the Faction Altars!

You may choose to create a hero for any of the primary Factions (i.e. Alliance, Horde, Scourge, and Sentinels). You are to create the fifth hero for that race, including skills fitting of that hero and that race. You will need to consider how that hero balances with the other heroes in the race and how it impacts the metagame of melee as a whole. It might sound scary, but with solid work and design you can pull through with a winner!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Contest Rules:
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • One entry per person.
  • No submission may violate the Hiveworkshop Rules and Spells Rules.
  • Any submission must follow a Work In Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece.

Hero Requirements:
  • The hero must be made with only In-Game Resources, which means no Custom Resources (models, textures, icons, etc). Specifically, that means Resources that can be found in War3.mpq, War3x.mpq, War3xlocal.mpq, & War3Patch.mpq. The only exceptions to this rule would be
    • A) A custom "Dummy" model for Dummy Casters or Dummy Projectiles (see below)
    • B) A modified version of an existing in-game icon to increase functionality ONLY (i.e. creating a Passive-version, or Autocast-version, or Regular-version, etc); i.e. only Border-change.
    • C) A custom "Hero Glow" model (Chest, Weapon, etc) for use in making Unit models into better-fitting Hero models. PROVIDED HERE by RETERA
    • D) An existing In-Game model, modified to have Dissipate anims instead of Decay.
  • The hero must have only 4 spells, no innate abilities (the only exception would be a female Night Elf hero, with Hide, as this is an existing exception)
  • The hero must have a distinct Theme. This Theme is an important part of hero design, and the spells & aesthetics must fit into its Theme. There is no defined Theme for the contest, but you must create your own Theme that would fit into your chosen Faction.
  • The hero must have a distinct Role. This Role is an important part of the hero design, and the spells & gameplay style must fit into its Role. There is no defined Role for heroes in this contest, but you must create your own Role that would fit into your chosen Faction.
  • The hero should be balanced qualitatively and quantitatively as if it were a standard hero in standard/ladder WC3 melee games.
  • Your hero must be a hero for one of the four melee factions' altars. (Human, Orc, Undead, Night Elf)
  • Your hero must have one "Ultimate" and three "Level-able Skills" (with 3 levels each).
  • Your hero must be designed with a max level of 10 in mind.
  • At least two of the hero's skills must be trigger enhanced, but you may trigger more than two of them.
  • You are not allowed to make purely cinematic spells. This means you cannot pause the hero, use cinematic mode for any spell, or anything of the sort.
  • You are not allowed to use the spellbook ability as any of your spells. Heroes have 3 normal abilities and 1 ultimate no matter what, no bypassing it.

Specific Requirements:

Programming Rules:
  • You can use any type of coding method you'd like (JASS / GUI / vJass / etc) in designing your spells. (Specify in the entry topic)
  • All spells for the hero must be created specifically for this contest, there will be no previously-made spells allowed.
  • [sYou may use any script or system from a Wc3 Modding-Site's database for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.[/s] - Removed 20140917
  • You are allowed to import and use a dummy unit model with a single bone and the 'origin' attachment. This can be useful for some projectile spells and therefore it is allowed. (Pitch dummies with 180 degree vertical rotation are allowed as well)

Submission Rules:
  • When the hero is complete, submit it to the Pastebin with the prefix [HERO7] and send me (Host: Kyrbi0) a Private Message with a link to the Pastebin thread.
  • All submitted entries must use (4)TurtleRock.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes) (Attached Below)
  • The map you submit your hero in should be set up as a melee map so the hero can be tested in a standard melee game; that means no cinematics or other extraneous additions, aside from:
    • Your custom Hero, it's custom spells (and any triggering/OE-work necessary to accomplish them), etc (your submission, essentially).
    • Triggers which should be provided to allow a single player to test the hero individually with ease and without having to build an altar and gain experience.
    • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
      THW.HC7.<MyUserName>.w3x
      Example: THW.HC7.Kyrbi0.w3x
    • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
      THW.HC7.<MyUserName>
      Example: THW.HC7.Kyrbi0
  • Submitted maps may be no larger than 750kb.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Judging Criteria:
  • If more than 3 contestants enter, the contest will enter into a public poll, which DEPENDS:
  • [[IF Multi-Vote Poll Method]]
  • In the poll, users can distribute two points among the contestants. A person can put 1 point towards two different contestants or put 2 points towards any one contestant; it is the user's choice.
  • [[IF Schulze Preferential Voting Method]]
  • In the poll, users will have to rank the heroes from best to worst, ignoring any of the entries that they want to.
  • Clear instructions on how to vote will be posted the day the poll opens.
  • All points earned in each section of judging will be scaled to 1000 points and then weighted equally in the final tallying of points.
  • Judges will grade the heroes, giving weight to the following:

Design Criteria
Theme:How well the skills, aesthetics & design fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they belong on the given hero (i.e. frost mage with frost spells, warrior with martial abilities, etc). Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Role:
How well the skills of the hero work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the hero has (i.e. ranged assault, tank, support caster, etc). Comprehensive, well-though-out Roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating Roles will lose points.10

Balance:
Includes how well the hero's Theme, & Role fit into the melee environment in terms of balance, theme, style, complicatedness, and so forth. Overpowered or Underpowered Heroes will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.10

Creativity:
How original the design of the hero is in terms of creative ideas, clever implementations, or new concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

Coding:
How well-made the Coding is for your Hero. Regardless of type (GUI, (v)JASS, etc) or amount (minimum 2-triggered spells, or all 4), Code must be good; MUI, MPI, etc are all important considerations. Clean, Efficient, Robust & Reusable code will result in a good score; Leaky, Haphazard, Inefficient code will result in a poor score.10

Awesomeness:
The most subjective of all grading criteria. This attempts to quantify exactly how awesome a Hero's overall design feels. This is the "subjective elbow room" for people to talk about how "cool" or "nifty" or "rad" the Hero is.5

Total points:

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
designing, creating & implementing custom content; and who is known to judge objectively.
  • Bannar
  • Kam
  • Username 3

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

prizes.png

1st

50 reputation points & Your Entry on the award icon.

2nd

35 reputation points & an award.

3rd

25 reputation points & an award.

Finished Entry

5 rep

:BEGINS:

:ENDS:

Monday

Wednesday

September
1st

October
1st 4th

11:59:59 PM ~GMT~

You have ~4 weeks, 30 days, or 720
hours to complete your submission.

Attachments

• (4)TurtleRock.w3x
    142.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

TABLE OF ENTRANTS (courtesy Cosmicat, consequently)

User
Hero Race WIP Done?

Kyrbi0
Archdruid / Emerald GuardianNight Elf 1
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Wa666r
Nathrezim Agent Undead 1
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Shadow Fury
Fire Knight Orc
1 2
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Dalvengyr
Coldwraith / Forsaken Queen Undead
1 2 3 4 5 6
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Mythic
Night Ranger Night Elf
1 2 3 4 5
reputation_vhighpos.gif

neo_sluf
Reincarnated Ghoul Undead

Almia
Fate Weaver Undead
1 2 3

Love Seeker
Polar Warrior Night Elf?

Direfury
High Elf Arcanist Human
1 2 3
reputation_vhighpos.gif

A Void
Kobold Geomancer Night Elf?
1 2 3
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Cokemonkey11
Blessed Ranger Human
1 2
reputation_vhighpos.gif

AngkySaputra
Shadow Night Elf
1 2
reputation_vhighpos.gif

gorillabull
Goblin War Engineer Orc

Footman16
Grand Marshall Human
1 2 3
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Orcnet
? Orc

Kingz
Primal Druid Night Elf
1 2 3

Chenralstratsz
?? Night Elf

Retera
Arch-Druid Night Elf
1 2

Wolffman
Eredar Felsworn Undead
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Rufus
Marksman Human 1
reputation_vhighpos.gif

DED1
Pirate Captain Human 1
reputation_vhighpos.gif

Cosmicat
Arcanist Human 1
reputation_vhighpos.gif

=HEROES=
Arthas (Hammer)
Arthas (Sword)
Jaina
Garithos
Proudmoore
Sylvanas
-
Thrall
Grom Hellscream
Slavemaster
Fel Orc Blademaster
-
Archimonde
Varimathras
Dalvengyr?
Balnazzar
Tichondrius
-
Furion
Malfurion
Shandris
Illidan (Demon)
-
?

=UNITS=
Captain
Blood Elf Engineer
Emissary/Chaplain
Medivh

-
Drak'thul
Gul'dan
Ner'zhul (?)
Warlock

-
Kel'Thuzad (Live)
Kel'Thuzad (Ghost)
Ghost Sylvanas
Zombie

-
Sentry/Runner
Warden

-
?

There. I'd like someone (a likely Judge or Coder-dude) to tell me whether those Coding Criteria (& amounts for them) are good/make sense/fair. Also, the Dates & the Prizes should be hammered out. Also a picture. Also is the Thread Title too long?

Other than that, we're good.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I was about to say "it hasn't"... But I see someone moved it. Yay Keiji! But is that "Official"? Should I put dates on there?...

Also, I'd love a moderator to fix the Title (I put something too long there, then changed it to simply "Classic" as I think that fits better).

I'm not sure past Hero Contests would be a good resource, as I'm not sure they even bothered to check for Coding. (Then again, is that even necessary? It could be argued that this is primarily a "Design" contest (granted, with a fair percentage of the 'entry' consisting of Coding), so we can just judge Design...).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yes, you may now consider it official.

I'll leave the rest of the "host"
business in your capable hands.

And a memo has been given about
putting this up on the noticeboard.
Curse you... I knew I was being snookered into something. Lawl, another Contest to host... Definitely learned my lesson from the MC#25; gonna be a lot more hands-off.

Thanks, though. : )

Out of curiosity, does the hero need to be entirely made (modeling & skinning too) by contestants or can contestants use an existing hero (modeled & skinned) created by another user from the model section as the aesthetic base?

//\\0o//\\
First Post said:
Style: SOLO ~ IN-GAME RESOURCES
I was about to get really passive-aggressively-angry because it should've been super-obvious... But apparently the only time in the "main contest header/first post" that says anything about it is one: that line right there (granted, it's right at the top, big & bolded & colored...) I'd also like to assume you had been keeping up with the months of "development" this Contest idea has undergone in the earlier thread... But again, I can't assume that. Or, I guess, anything. :<

In which case I'll just answer "No: Contestants do not have to make the model/texture/icon/etc themselves. In fact, the Contest rules specifically prohibit that; it is intentionally designed as a "In-Game Resources Only" Contest, so please stick with just what is in the regular Warcraft MPQ's."

Then I'll fix the first post. Thanks for pointing that out (implicitly).

Kyrbi0 said:
You may use any script or system from a Wc3 Modding-Site's database for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.

Well you might want to remove that "programming rule".... Otherwise what's the point?

Level 14
Curse you... I knew I was being snookered into something. Lawl, another Contest to host... Definitely learned my lesson from the MC#25; gonna be a lot more hands-off.

Thanks, though. : )

I was about to get really passive-aggressively-angry because it should've been super-obvious... But apparently the only time in the "main contest header/first post" that says anything about it is one: that line right there (granted, it's right at the top, big & bolded & colored...) I'd also like to assume you had been keeping up with the months of "development" this Contest idea has undergone in the earlier thread... But again, I can't assume that. Or, I guess, anything. :<

In which case I'll just answer "No: Contestants do not have to make the model/texture/icon/etc themselves. In fact, the Contest rules specifically prohibit that; it is intentionally designed as a "In-Game Resources Only" Contest, so please stick with just what is in the regular Warcraft MPQ's."

Then I'll fix the first post. Thanks for pointing that out (implicitly).

I wasn't aware of this as a contest, since I've never bothered to look into this forum before. I found the listed rules confusing and asked for clarification - which you provided (thanks).

I was considering joining, but my idea was dependent on several models, so good luck to the contestants!

//\\^^//\\

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
<< in

When will this start?

When will this start?
I was going to go with the creation of the thread, but the 1st of September seems like a really nice, even demarcation.

If anyone 'accidentally' started, though, I don't think they should be penalized, due to the confusion. Just... Don't start if you haven't already.

That sound fair to everyone?

I'm joining in!

So we have 7 weeks to make single hero? Should it really take that long?
No; I'm going to do a bit of research & change the "length of Contest"; what are everyone's thoughts? I don't think more than a month (4 weeks) at most...

~~~

Well you might want to remove that "programming rule".... Otherwise what's the point?
Not sure I get what you mean. The point is to create a hero, and we're trying to avoid people just taking things they've done before & re-using it (specifically people like me, who just reuses old ideas over & over again has previous work to re-use. :p

Generally that means Heroes (whole Heroes), but it logically extends to abilities, spells, and coding... Now where it doesn't extend is to systems & such that allow you to do certain Coding tasks more easily (I don't use them, so I don't know what they are... But check the previous Hero Contests at Wc3C for good examples; Vexorian's "timerutils"? JNGP? "timed life" and what-not?).

But those systems have to have been openly available for all to use (i.e. submitted (& approved?)), else-wise it's no different from Coding you yourself made (i.e. that would need to be done solely for the Contest).

I think that's how it works. Again, even though I'm a coder I do things almost entirely in OE & GUI, so I just copy-pasta'd those things over & hoped it made sense. But after thinking about it, ^that is the explanation that comes to mind.

Oh god why now. </3

Well, good luck to the contestants. Not gonna be joining.
Aw shucks. I was hoping minimized & specific parameters would help encourage people to join... But bad timing is bad timing. I'll keep my eyes open. : )

I wasn't aware of this as a contest, since I've never bothered to look into this forum before. I found the listed rules confusing and asked for clarification - which you provided (thanks).

I was considering joining, but my idea was dependent on several models, so good luck to the contestants!

//\\^^//\\
Aw nonsense! There are plenty of good ideas floating around in the MPQs! In fact, I hope to be writing up a list of some of the better un-used Hero/Unit models up for the 2nd post to help people get ideas.

Besides, users shouldn't be making Hero ideas solely on the basis of custom resources... If the Hero leans too heavily on the aesthetics/art/presentation, that becomes a crutch. Good Hero Design can stand up even with no art.

Guys, dont you see that? Kyrbi0 will tell you the expiration date when he posts his hero, just before contests very ends. He will be the only contestant, and will guarantee himself 1st, 2nd and 3rd position.

Quite clever, Kyrbi0.
Lolololol YOUVE FOUND ME OUT.

Hosts can join?! :eek:

All along I thought nay.
? Didn't MiniMage host & join the last Modeling Contest?

Usually the issue/rule is, "Judges cannot join & judge" (or otherwise stated, "contestants cannot judge"), since that would be an obvious conflict of interest (would they judge their own entry? Would we have to call in another judge for their entry alone? etc).

But the Host is nothing but the guy who keeps up the 1st post; I don't have any kind of "power" to make myself win. :< Sure, I can ninja-Edit the rules (if I could even think of a way to do so in my favor (see Bannar's comment xD)), but you all can read it & report me to the Moderator, so no dice.

Besides, I wouldn't Host this if I couldn't join; I love Hero Contests! If it really bugs people, I'll gladly 'hand over the reins' to someone else.

But yeah, I don't think there's any rule for that.

I'm in. Summoned units allowed?
I'm not sure what this means... You can definitely have your Hero summon units... Like as an ability? That's very normal Warcraft, very fitting.

Can you remove that ''you cannot pause the hero''? It might need for some spells
See Dat-C3 & Cakemaster's responses. Nearly every rule is in their for a reason; I don't mind discussing it & changing it if it's deemed unnecessary, but I'll err on the side of not.

I believe you may not start before the official starting date
Yeah except where the dumb host doesn't pick a date. See top of post. :p

Wa666r said:
Can we modify some of the icons from Warcraft 3 to make them PAS, BTN, and/or ATC?
Sure, that seems like a reasonable request. As long as we're still using in-game icons, changing the border so it works better & looks good isn't so bad. Edited the first post.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Now I'm thinking of doing a jungle troll. xD
DO EET. I won't be (contrary to popular belief). : )

Do adding dissipate animations to those models allowed?
Weeeeeelllll.... That's pushing it. I think that might be OK, for similar reasons to the others & because it's simply modifying an animation, rather than adding one... However, it's modifying an entire model, which was kinda the point to avoid for this Contest...

I'll go ahead & say "Yes", but that's definitely stretching it. Constraints no longer have any point if we've punched a bunch of holes in them. :<

so, I'm sorry to ask, are we allowed to use imported models and icons?

EDIT:
Also, are we allowed to use imported hero glow?
No need to apologize... But please, read the thread (esp. the first post). The answer to your question has not only been asked before (& answered; look right above you, for example), but the First Post has been edited so that it is more than clear.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
You may use any script or system from a Wc3 Modding-Site's database for your map. This means if you want to use a system you, yourself, have made, it will have to be approved and in the database before the contest's beginning.

That is one lousy rule. I need to wait for 7 centuries for my resources to get approved, whereas I really need some of them. There is literally no point in re-writting them all, eventually, the result will be exactly the same from the unapproved one.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've been thinking about this for a while, but I'll go ahead & give a teaser... I'll be working on a Night Elf hero, and one that is heavily inspired by Wc3 Beta... Think on that this weekend. : )

I'm curious as how one would post WIPs. Do we just take a pic or send the map with only half the abilities done?
Haven't you seen past (Wc3C/THW) Hero Contests? Putting up early versions of your map wouldn't be wise... But write-ups of the Hero (stats, skills, etc), screenshots of it in action, etc... All fair game & good ideas.

That is one lousy rule. I need to wait for 7 centuries for my resources to get approved, whereas I really need some of them. There is literally no point in re-writting them all, eventually, the result will be exactly the same from the unapproved one.
Well I'll be honest; I don't know what your systems are that you need so badly (or what they do) to be able to say whether or not a dispensation would be wise.

It might do to allow people to use systems that are submitted (regardless of approval)... I dunno, though; is there really nothing anywhere that can be used for what you have in mind? Spells made for Warcraft 3 aren't/don't have to be that complex...

Anyways is a jungle troll good for Orcish Horde? Technically they are not Darkspear/gray skinned trolls.
Orcish Horde = Orcs, Tauren, (Darkspear/Jungle) Trolls.

I fail to see how that wouldn't work. :p Just do it, man.

Here's my WiP, I'm going for a Grand Marshall Hero, with an emphasis on Hero hunting. Kind of like a more mobile version of the Mountain King.

Love Seeker said:
Can I ask which race does fit for Polar Fulbolgs?

None I'd guess.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-31 at 13.03.43.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-31 at 13.03.43.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.