• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tower of Babel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Hey!

I finally found some decent inspiration when I was at an art gallery. It's not exactly like the painting but it's based off of it.

In fact, it's the ruins of the tower, with the city still thriving below. I hope you like it! :cute:

Based off:
Painting 1
Painting 2

Here are some picture plane mechanics I used in my terrain. I hope someone gets something out of this, because it took a bit of planning :p
http://i38.tinypic.com/vdguau.png

"Wave" Technique:
http://i35.tinypic.com/24y4ffn.jpg

Attachments

• Tower of Babel.png
    Tower of Babel.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 790
Level 9
O.O
ooooo
awwwww
that looks really good. it does resemble the tower in the painting. In your version is the city below still active? If so it looks a little over grown to be alive and kicking. but that is very very nice
+rep

Level 10
surrounding city looks GREAT, really good.
but the tower's walls are to flat texture wise, you should have picked another model.
the bushes do look nice.

and the lighting is PERFECT, the shadow and everything, very very nice.

+rep

Level 7
The buildings in the back are really nice and absolutly well done, but the tower itself is really horribile.
Too much ugly textures and the green rocks doesn´t fit at all. :/

But nevertheless really good work!
Amazing light and shadows. :)

Level 36
The buildings in the back are really nice and absolutly well done, but the tower itself is really horribile.
Too much ugly textures and the green rocks doesn´t fit at all. :/

But nevertheless really good work!
Amazing light and shadows. :)

I don't think the tower's that bad D:
I just think it's a bit simple... but it was supposed to be simple and repetitive. That was the point of ancient architecture.

Level 36
It's not too long, because the tower doesn't stop at the top of the screenshot. Also, it's just a blob of light, how do you know where it's coming from other than it's from the left? :\

And they are green cliffs... what do you expect? I used doodads instead of rock tiles.

Level 18
Well, judging by the fact that the light appears to have nothing in front and right at the front of the screen it looks the wrong angle. As for the length, the tower doesn't stay the same width the whole way up, but your shadow is basically the same width, thus implying that you are only seeing the shadow for the bottom tier of the tower.

Oh....MY... F*CKING...GOD!!!

i want to be as good as you :eek:

sadly i have a sucky computers.. so i can't make terrain like that... but anyway..

your just too good.... like madsen have a rival... and its not a joke.. your just WAY TO GOOD for all the terrainers..

(right click on desktop -> NVidia Control Panel set the bottom thing (the one with the slider of sorts) to Quality, it may lag a bit more but the terrains look better)

whhaat? what are you talking about? i'm still a newb at terraining so i still have things to learn :D please explain me what it is? also ...

(talking to Void) i don't understand how you make flying doodads.. cause i know theres a way to do it.. can all MY flying doodads.. where units.. i made... with the model of the doodad in question...:eek:

Last edited:
Level 8
Propably the best I have ever seen
Void, you are a real artist, keep it going.

( I cant +rep you in TheHelper, so I came to +rep you here lol )

Level 36
Just wondering, how did you actually do that shadow? o_O
And turn on your AA and shit nub. :p.

(right click on desktop -> NVidia Control Panel set the bottom thing (the one with the slider of sorts) to Quality, it may lag a bit more but the terrains look better)

I don't have AA off because it will lag. My computer never lags ;)
I have AA off because it's incompatible with HDR.

(talking to Void) i don't understand how you make flying doodads.. cause i know theres a way to do it.. can all MY flying doodads.. where units.. i made... with the model of the doodad in question...

Press ctrl + page up or ctrl + page down while selecting a doodad or group of doodad to lift them up.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
The point of the tower was that the palace is all on the inside, and the outside is just walls.
Haha, I'd say that too if I was lazy. :p

Especially once I've added fog doodads and sky
I never save the map after placing that stuff.

That's my most favourite terrain from you, the tower is really kinda meh ( and I'd like to see the top =/ ), but I love the city in the background.

Level 36
Haha, I'd say that too if I was lazy. :p

I never save the map after placing that stuff.

That's my most favourite terrain from you, the tower is really kinda meh ( and I'd like to see the top =/ ), but I love the city in the background.

There is no top. That's the point of the mythical Tower of Babel, it goes until it reaches heavens. And I know I'm lazy :(

So what about that terrain thing? Did you read my PM at thehelper?

Status
Not open for further replies.