• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Terraining Skittlez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
these are screen shots taken from various maps I'm working on for a campaign which has a story but no name. I'm thinking something along the lines of "Legend of the God of Metal" since its loosely based on rock and roll mythology and my own demented "creativity" But any way here. Please be brutally honest, even spiteful if you must. I like it, turns me on.

Not actually a map in my campaign, but its still pretty.
Hell, where you meet some heavy metal friends!
Another one not actually going to be in the campaign, but there will be a graveyard or two. Whats an RPG w/o a haunted graveyard?
Cave entrance. How ominous!
A city in flames. My favorite kind.

So... whaddya think? Don't quit my day job? :xxd:

Level 18
lol, i think everyone would agree that the blizzard cliffs are one of the ugliest features that Blizzard gives you ( along with shitty textures )

to be brutally honest : Thiz terrain iz nothing compared to the potential of what it could be.

If you use the Raise and Lower, and SMooth terrain commands, you will get WAY better results than with BLizz cliffs.

I liked the terrain had a feeling to it, but it could be WAY better.

Level 10
Redscores... Mind elaborating about what Raven said? All he said was "Sry but i think youre wrong! Using Blizzard cliffs in a right way,was always a sign of knowledge about terraining..." Which was his own opinion... Your the one that's being annoying...

@Raven Your wording on your second sentence is a little strange.

Last edited:
Level 19
ok i say blizzard cliffs are fu... horrible and every1 has his own style and if it looks good then use blizzard cliffs
+rep for these pics

Level 34
Could you just attach the pictures? Clicking each link is bothersome.

I don't see why everyone hates blizzard cliffs :angry:, sure their not the best but if used correctly...
If used correctly.... they still suck.

Sry but i think youre wrong!
Using Blizzard cliffs in a right way,was always a sign of knowledge about terraining...
PS. it is wc3 not something else...and it should still have the same style!
Not sure when that was, but not since I've been around. Go take a look at the legendary terrains thread. See any cliffs?

Level 4
Blizzard cliffs work for unnatural walls like in a city or something, but for a natural environment I prefer to just use the terrain hight thing and make my own. It takes longer but you can make some nice scenery.

Also, WC3 has been out for years now, we've all seen the blizzard cliffs a hundred times over. This is just a way of switching it up, making things interesting. I would use the UTM but I'm trying to keep the map size as small as possible. Most of blizzards stuff is designed for a top down view, but the angle makes it look more "dramatic" or whatever. And there are far too many other elements in a good map to make cliff type a golden rule.

Level 34
Gilles 10 commandments of Terraining!

1. Explore thy editor before trying thy first terrain.
2. Thou shalt not post thy first terrain.
3. Thou shalt not use Blizzard cliffs.
4. Honor your raise and lower tool.
5. Thou Shalt not covet thy neighbors terrain.
6. Thou shalt not steal.
7. Thou shalt use the Ultimate Terraining Map.
8. Thou shalt listen to thy peers.
9. Thou shalt learn to tile variate.
10. Gilles is always right.

I should sticky that.

Status
Not open for further replies.