• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Imperial City Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
some terrain that im doing for my Brother against Brother mission in my campaign.
first two are of an area near a breach in the City Wall, with a couple legionnaires/longbowman/knight/chaplain and ballista guarding it.
the others are of the Imperial Palace, i dont like it too much though, probably cause its not finished. I'll post more as i do more of the city.

UPDATED: Made a...moat thing... and um... made another tower, and the guard barracks.

Attachments

• city1.JPG
    city1.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 5,100
  • city2.JPG
    city2.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • palace1.JPG
    palace1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,403
  • palace2.JPG
    palace2.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,379
  • palace3.JPG
    palace3.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,144
  • palace4.JPG
    palace4.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 3,947
  • palace5.JPG
    palace5.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • imppalaceupdate.JPG
    imppalaceupdate.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 5,868
  • imppalaceupdate2.JPG
    imppalaceupdate2.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 706
  • imppalaceupdate 3.JPG
    imppalaceupdate 3.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 727
  • imppalace entrance.JPG
    imppalace entrance.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 735
  • imppalace barracks.JPG
    imppalace barracks.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 711
  • Imppalace latest.JPG
    Imppalace latest.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
Level 22
raise wont be visible once i finish it, its just as a place holder. i also need it so that the black areas will be properly inplace.

you dont like my blighted craters :(

well, thinking of oblivion... i might do it later. much later. although it would be pretty huge.

Level 22
once again, the terrains not complete. i want to put mountains right behind the palace, as like a border line, but i cant get the raise tool to go any higher without screwing itself over.
I dont know if ill keep those wh40k statues, they dont look to marblish.
im working on this little by little, its a 160x160 map, and ive got alot of ground to cover. if someone could recommend some stuff that would be intresting in my city, that would be pretty cool.
im gonna try to add:
Barracks Area, basically a large building with a green lawn where soldiers train etc
Victory Lane, just a straight road that leads directly from the main gate to the palace, with huge buildings where i can hang like banners and stuff.
Im kinda brain dead right now, some ideas would be helpful

@steel_stallion, its supposed to be the capital of a grand Empire, it has to be large and inspiring...and white.
@FrikY, its not finished as i stated in my first post

Level 36
Its fully allowed to post W.I.P's here, I believe... <.<
Also, to post wips here is a good idea for most terrainers, cause this is an exelent place to get critics on your terrains. Me, I meen the model choise is what ruins it. Its suppost to be a living breathing imperal city right? Well, in my opinion it looks like a white marble ruin city, those black holes everywhere ruin it all, the models is nice, but the fact that all windows and entrances is completely BLACK is so fugly, yet, if this were to be a ghost-town then it would look nice :p

Level 22
well, it is under siege from chaos forces. i dont really have an alternative since i dont want to decorate the insides of the buildings. im trying to give it sorta of a darkish feel, like this:
imperial_city_1--article_image.jpg

yet, making it the capital city of the good guys. ive also updated the palace, ill post some screenshots soon.

and keiji, please tell me some alternatives, im brain dead atm.

Level 15
Sorry for the offtopic, but I saw corpses in the world editor... how can I add such ?
Do i have to make a new model in order to place a corpse of a unit (knight for example) in the WE? .... I'd be grateful if u told me

Otherwise, I think it needs more doodads, the structures are fine.

Level 22
ya, but i didnt know how to use ctrl+mouse wheel then.
its not like ure gonna see the sky ingame, but ill add it later for the heck of it.

i made the cropses be destructibles, scaled them appropriately, and set their life to 0.
but their always red team colored ingame.

Level 22
yes yes i know about ingame settings, but then the black space will pop up and eat up the palace.
and i dont have my wheelie mouse (actually it really really sucks), and i was taking them in a hurry.

its actually not that hard to make. all the buildings follow a similar blueprint. one or two stories, with the black entrances, and the blocks ontop to cover up messy spots.

Level 22
it is actually for a campaign. full of custom models and crap. im hoping to bring another campaing thats over 50mb :D :D :D to the hive.
unfortunately, its a 3-man project. Me. Myself. And I.
ive planned out as many as 21 maps, 6 of them being cinematics, and a special credits cinematic.
pretty tough work ahead of me.

Level 4
lol if you think thats hard try making a mod all by yourself
anyway nice work but everything is too straight and boxy
try making a bit more curvey/circular shaped buildings and while your at it put on some variation on your buildings.. too much arches makes it look too much like its ancient greece/rome

Last edited:
Level 22
lol, ill give it a shot.
i dun even want to try to edit the MPQ T_T

tranquil recently released some arched doorways, so ill probably use those too.
ill probably also create some sort of temple thing, useing the regular cityscape archs and rotating them.

thanks for the critique guys

Level 4
The only thing it really lacks is pillars and columns, perhaps some diversity. Good stuff though.. keep at it.

Level 34
Please don't bump unless you have a good update worth the bump. If no one has commented on your old terrains, leave them. If you want them looked at, put it in your sig (which it is I see).

Level 25
The architecture looks good and I like how you blackened out the interior. However, what bothers me is how the terrain itself is very plain and incomplete. Looks effortless. Work on your tile placement and tile variation skills, as well as adding hill variation too. You need to give the entire map its own atmosphere to bring it more to life. I know you want the city to be the focal point, but regardless, it already is because it is the only place with architecture, whereas the rest of the map will be/should be environmental with trees, bushes, grass, rocks, etc.

Please increase the field of view (FoV) when taking screenshots of your terrain. You can do this by holding Ctrl and scrolling up or down.

~Craka_J

Level 25
Hill variation is basically making neat hills of different sizes around the terrain. Flat terrains are as repulsive as pointy ones (Hill that are really pointy) so be sure to use the smooth tool a lot when making hills as well on most of your terrain. I'll try to find you a reference or two as to what I mean later.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.