PDA

View Full Version : My first good terrain work

Dr. House
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
i worked kinda hard on this terrain one screenshot som of you maybe already know but still this 3 sreens are my best terrain i ever made. sugestions? or help? are welcome.:grin:

Nudl9
05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Use the terrain smoothen tool to make the cliffs more rounder and not so spiky, try variate with tiles and it may be smart to download UTM (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45316).
All in all i dont think its all that bad, but could always need some improvements.

Dr. House
05-03-2008, 04:49 PM
i have utm ultimate terraining map if that is what you mean but i dont understand what you mean with spiky plz explane (im not that pro)

Bob27
05-04-2008, 12:43 PM
In the areas where you have used Plateau, the edges look spiky and unnatural, so hes telling you to use the smooth tool on them to make them look more natural. As for my suggestions, I would suggest that you make a bit more height variation in all of them, especially in the 3rd one. Also try adding some fog, and add some doodads in the background, especially in the 3rd one, because it looks like theres nothing behind the wall.

~Void~
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
The first one is kinda nice. The second one needs some MAJOR smoothing and height variation, and also more filling in on the forest and field. The third one's castle is ok but the rest of it sucks.

Dr. House
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
omg to hear this of void is like the biggest compliment ever :) ty man i know som things suck but its just a begin :)

Gilles
05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
omg to hear this of void is like the biggest compliment ever :) ty man i know som things suck but its just a begin :)
I'm going to be honest. He didn't mean it was good, just nice. As in, it's pretty bad, but not as bad as the others, and I want to be polite. Either that or he was drunk.

Volvox
05-04-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL Gilles XD Honesty is appreciated so... NEVER use the plateau tool again, it's a thorn in the observer's ass. Terrain should also have something to look at, something to draw the observer's attention, but your screenshots are rather plain. Personally i like the third one because it is symmetric(i like symmetry).

Sephiroth_VII
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Dont use Blizzards Lordearon Summer Cake trees!!!!
Thats good advice.

Gilles
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
LOL Gilles XD Honesty is appreciated so... NEVER use the plateau tool again, it's a thorn in the observer's ass. Terrain should also have something to look at, something to draw the observer's attention, but your screenshots are rather plain. Personally i like the third one because it is symmetric(i like symmetry).
Ahh, but I use it all the time. Who want to use the raise tool for an hour? I actually use it a lot. But then I go over the terrain and make it smooth and sexy.

Dr. House
05-05-2008, 05:53 AM
i have much to learn doesnt mean i dont want it i love ot make terrain and im getting better and better because of the people who day dont use this or dont use that the only thing i undeestand is whats rong with that raise thing (im frome holland im not that good in english)

Volvox
05-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, you'll get better in time... As for the plateau thing, i also used it until i read a tutorial where somebody said lots of horrible things about it. When i took a closer look, it is the truth, raise looks more natural then plateau, it just takes a lot more time.

Dr. House
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
i just gona try evrything and see for myself :P