• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem: Pop-Up Doobads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
I have a slight problem. In my cinematic I want the camera to "fall" slowly into the forest. The problem is that when the camera falls into a sertain possiton a set of trees just pop up out of thin air.
Is it possible to make the doobads visible at all time? I based the trees of shrub if that makes any difference.

Here are two screenshots to display what I mean. They come about 0.5 seconds after each other.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Level 22
Hehe, fair :D

But no, trees cant 'fade' in, unless you got some models of the trees (You can get that in the WEU, then just use the unit 'tree' and Vertex modify it.

But i can see that its custom doodads, so you can easy do that without. Just make thoose trees into units, and trigger 'Unit - Change vertex coloring 255-255-255-100'
The 100 should be how transparent. I would start with 0 and fade to 100 over 2 seconds or such.

Ps. No problem :D

Last edited:
Level 34
I still don't see why Blizzard didn't include terrain distance into the actual game.

Level 25
This problem occurs a lot with custom models and sometimes even original WarCraft III models made by Blizzard Entertainment when the model's scale value is increased in the Object Editor. I have no clue why this happens, but usually it's a problem with the model itself and only a modeler can fix or at least ease the problem some how, as far as I know. Models usually disappear when they are near any of the edges of the screen or if you go too far away from them. Some models disappear when you go too close; and I'm not talking about the Field of View problem.

The chances of fixing your tree model problem are very slim. I say, just deal with it like the rest of the terrainers do. Otherwise, find a modeler whom is good with making models and ask if they know how to or if they can fix the issue with your model(s).

~Craka_J

Level 21
This problem occurs a lot with custom models and sometimes even original WarCraft III models made by Blizzard Entertainment when the model's scale value is increased in the Object Editor. I have no clue why this happens, but usually it's a problem with the model itself and only a modeler can fix or at least ease the problem some how,

I personally think, but cannot confirm, that it's not a problem related to the model. It's simply the way the warcraft 3 renderer works. I think that whenever the coordinates (X,Y) of a doodad are no longer visible on the screen, the whole model is considered "invisible" and disappears. I've done some tests and that's what I think...

That also means that there simply is no solution.

Level 34
What you can try is to let some leaf pictures or something pop up when you are 'in' the tree, so it'll look like you are going through the leaves and such.

Level 25
I personally think, but cannot confirm, that it's not a problem related to the model. It's simply the way the warcraft 3 renderer works. I think that whenever the coordinates (X,Y) of a doodad are no longer visible on the screen, the whole model is considered "invisible" and disappears. I've done some tests and that's what I think...

That also means that there simply is no solution.

If this is true, then why is it that specific models vanish, while others do not? Why does the Barracks model, as well as the rest of the WC3 models, not vanish? Seems a bit confusing.

~Craka_J

Level 28
Well I am already... accepting it. If I have time I will try TheBlooddancers tip but only if I have time.

OMG can you people read all the posts? I have untill saturday to finish the cinematic and I have to put the story in highest priority. If there had been a simple solution I would have done it but these things you are suggesting will take too much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.