• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain too average/plain ? Need opinion about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
The terrain was done by Revan(Rom) for my cinematic. But, I have receive a comment from somebody about the terrain being average.

6693-human-sin-trailer-screenshot-1.jpg

6694-human-sin-trailer-screenshot-2.jpg

6695-human-sin-trailer-screenshot-3.jpg

6696-human-sin-trailer-screenshot-4.jpg

6697-human-sin-trailer-screenshot-5.jpg

Being evaluate from the scale 1 to 10. What is the value of it ? Is there any problem with it ?

Level 13
Put some Dead Bodies in Picture Two like its a burning town make it look like it was just attacked or something

Level 25
I'll just judge your first posted terrain (The jungle) since it's easiest to comment on and should cover the rest in a way.

What makes this terrain look plain is the fact that there are hardly any trees where there should be trees. For example, around the waterfall; which is in fact very narrow, in my opinion. The choice of trees you should place mainly in a jungle would be palm trees, which I see you have a few of in there already. Make more!
When terraining a jungle, you must take in account that jungles are very well vegetated. They're even more vegetated than most forests. So, be sure to place a lot of shrubs, ferns, bushes, rocks, whatever that looks jungle-like, get it in there while still maintaining a good jungle environment and atmosphere. Be wary of each object you place. Try to avoid making them clip through each other, but do not space them apart. This also means do not randomly place objects and try hard to avoid making the terrain look that way.

Fogs for jungles vary. Greens, grays, blacks, yellows, browns, and sometimes purples and blues go well with them. Most of the colors do actually. White would be one of the only colors you should stay away from when doing a jungle theme.

Jungles have a very peculiar terrain style. It's always varying and can be located any kind of geography as far as landscape goes, not weather/climate. Mountains, valleys, hills, and even plains you'll find jungles. Jungles are also located on the shores of islands as well.

It may be best for you to research the theme of your terrain you wish to make about its history and generally how they look. It seems to help terrainers design their landscapes more realistically and appealingly in the end when they are constantly taking in the guidelines they've learned over the time both terraining and getting feedback - such as mine - at the Hive and also their research.

Cluttered areas and empty areas are two things that a lot of beginner terrainers tend to get out of my advice. I don't want you to place objects too much all over the map close together, but not too far apart either. It keeps the terrain looking clean, fresh, and doesn't make small children want to gouge their own eyes out with wooden spoons found in Spain. The only time you might get away with empty terrains are in desert and tundra themes. As for cluttered terrains, maybe jungles and forests. However, you do not want to take that risk. I do not recommend clutter and emptiness, as it usually results in simple ugliness. Take care and pride in your work. Put a lot of effort into it and make sure you add lots of little details too. All good terrainers create terrains that are outside of the box ideas and are taken from usually artistic angles as well. As for you, whom is not exactly a very experienced terrainer (My way of politely saying you aren't good at terraining) you should not focus on such approaches in terraining until you are sure you are a good terrainer and that you can capture unique ideas through your terrain.

~Craka_J

Level 10
Craka J "you aren´t good at terraining"

shure? read thread before you post a stupid comment:
As I mentioned that it was my first terrain, you could shut your mouth and look at your terrain before insult other guys. (not only me)
First. If somebody use Born2Modificate it doesn´t mean that you are good
Second. IM SHURE THAT NOW IM BETTER
THIRD HOW YOU BECAME TERRAINMOD. WITH SUCH BAD SKILLS AT TERRAINING --> VOID is way better

PS. I never liked your comments =)

In love Revan(Rom)

Level 34
Craka J "you aren´t good at terraining"

shure? read thread before you post a stupid comment:
As I mentioned that it was my first terrain, you could shut your mouth and look at your terrain before insult other guys. (not only me)
First. If somebody use Born2Modificate it doesn´t mean that you are good
Second. IM SHURE THAT NOW IM BETTER
THIRD HOW YOU BECAME TERRAINMOD. WITH SUCH BAD SKILLS AT TERRAINING --> VOID is way better

PS. I never liked your comments =)

In love Revan(Rom)
Flaming is against the rules, and flaming a respected moderator is just stupid.

Craka_J gave you a really lengthy, in-depth, review. You should be thanking him for it. Learn to take criticism.

Man, you trolled me hard. You have no idea how irritated I am by your post, I have lost all respect for you.

Level 31
To everybody : Please don't start war at this thread. This thread was open to ask for a possible flaw which I myself cannot seen it since I ain't that expert about terrains stuff.

If there is any inflammatory message appear upon this message afterward, I would report it to Mecheon to punish the necessary culprit. Whether the person is mod or respected user, it won't spare from punishment if caught for violate rules.

Level 34
If there is any inflammatory message appear upon this message afterward, I would report it to Mecheon to punish the necessary culprit. Whether the person is mod or respected user, it won't spare from punishment if caught for violate rules.
Dude, I take that as an insult. I can take care of my section, thanks.

Level 25
It's one thing to say I am not a good terrainer - and although I'm not as great as 2-P, ~Void~, or even the mighty Corexx - or to point out that I'm not that good either, but to deliberately insult me with aggression is not only disrespectful, but it is also called flaming, which is against the Hive Workshop's rules. An infraction point has been given to make other staff members aware of this and to hopefully make you think twice the next time you think about flaming anyone, whether it be me or someone else.

What's done is done. I will not look upon you negatively because of this. Just don't do it again and all will be well. :smile:

PS: Maybe you should read the rules in the meantime the infraction wears off.

~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.