• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #4 POLL

Who made the best submission?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop

Paired Mapping Contest #4 Poll

Welcome to the poll for the latest Paired Mapping Contest. Please read through the rules before voting!
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Last edited:
Level 13
So far EVERYBODY will get rep XD

God it pissed me off that nobody can do anything right. Airandius posting his map after umm 5mins of testing and Hawkwing aprroving it...I shouldnt bother to join these contests.

and its not like this is first time hawkwing messing things up, last time my entry wasnt even in the poll for few days.

God it pissed me off that nobody can do anything right. Airandius posting his map after umm 5mins of testing and Hawkwing aprroving it...I shouldnt bother to join these contests.

and its not like this is first time hawkwing messing things up, last time my entry wasnt even in the poll for few days.

Oh, I'm sorry nobody informed me not to use that one. I use the most recent versions, not the earliest one.

Level 13
Its true that these contests are sometimes decided with popularity. I didnt like either of your maps.

And most what anoys me is the amount of wievs on maps.

There should be voting system that you need to write somekind of review that you could vote, but then again nobody would vote.

but I wont judge other maps cause i havent tested them as much.

Oh well whatever happens, Ill try not to take part on these large contests. Cause its really sad to see votes, without comments. (yes it kinda anoys me).

Level 26
omg 2 views vs 9 views vs 36 views D:

Now seriously guys: Test all 3 maps or none, but if you test none of them then simply don´t vote................

And about my vote: My vote goes to Famous and redscores map because the terrain is just amasing, I like that old school rpg style for a dungeon map, the hero skills fit their role very well and the bosses are original aswell.
But the other maps are not bad either.

Level 40
Most likely. In modeling/skinning/icon contests, people usually just look at the screenshots then vote.

Anyhow, I'm about to go test your map, kewl (already tested yours, redscores), then vote.

Also kewl, while your map may only have 3 views on your post, it also has another 11 on Airandius', so it isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be.

Level 17
Oke, lets take a look...

It's a contest, oke there are a lot of fools that just vote cause they are butt kissers and hope for rep by voting on high rep people.. this is very lame.
But I can understand these fools... they have no life thus want high rep. =D

I really have to agree with kewlthis about people being to lazy.
Should we not make uhm, a testing group?
They will test the maps and decide what is best at terrain and coding etc (that's already there right? xD) and let this more professional voting count as 80%.
And use public votes for only 20%, this way making a better map will still result in a win cause popularity will affect it less.

EDIT: Either way we all win anyway lol... xD

EDIT2: Thanks Rising Dusk =)

Level 14
You all need to calm down. Complaining, whining, and crying over the votes doesn't make you sound like you deserve anything. I'm tempted to not vote for you people even if your maps are amazing just because your attitudes are so abominable. Grow up.

Upon testing all of the maps, I found Poot/Raging's to be rather dull. The first boss was both unimpressive and very unpolished. He just sort of ran in circles and the war stomp special effect was spammed. Yay.

Redscores/Famous' had pretty terrain, but I must say that Shiel in the first area was rather unimpressive. The camera lock made it difficult to navigate with all of the high walls and my team and I never actually made it past Shiel as a result. Yeah, you're gonna call me a noob, I don't really care.

kewlthis/airdanus' submission was actually the most enjoyable, I think. After beating the first boss, Banehallow (Who was surprisingly quite fun to play against) I traveled onward and fought the second boss, Anubiros. I won't lie, the beetle wasn't that exciting, but I actually enjoyed the map enough with my friends to get to the second boss. Albeit suffering several spelling mistakes and a God awful starting "cinematic," I enjoyed the map as a whole enough for it to get my vote.

Yes, ultimately the quality of the bosses is what I based my final vote on. The concept of a dungeon in all three submissions was 100% attack-move until the bosses, so I didn't think anything but the bosses was a fair justification for a vote.

Level 21
Well, Shiel was thought to be a beginner boss, you need a proper and logical hero selection, then you can easily beat the map.

My map is not such a easy-weazy map like poots or kewlthis, its more for people which are able to think logical, which want a challenging game play and increasing difficult.

Level 40
Kay, here we are.

kewlthis and Airandius' map - The Jagged Relic
[+] I had some fun on the second and third bosses.
[+] There were some neat elements to the game.
[+] The terrain was nice.
[!] Some spells didn't seem to hit based on their graphics, particularly on the second boss.
[!] The locked camera got annoying at times.
[!] The items could have used better names.
[highlight][-][/code] The grammar and spelling on the intro cinematic could use work.
[highlight][-][/code] Some Undead units (such as Decaying Guards) were not marked 'Undead', therefore spells such as Holy Light could not hit them.
[highlight][-][/code] There wasn't much skill involved on a lot of the bosses... I often found myself simply attacking and spamming skills whenever they were cooled down.
[highlight][-][/code] The atmosphere didn't change much throughout the game.
[highlight][-][/code] The bosses had a sequence which was too mechanical: it was the same order every time.
[highlight][-][/code] The spells were too much like stock spells.

Overall:
A fairly entertaining dungeon map that could use some work.

redscores and FamousPker49's map - The Ice Forge
[+]The terrain was beautiful.
[+]The spells were generally fairly well made.
[highlight][-][/code] The camera system made it horribly hard to control your hero.
[highlight][-][/code] It was impossibly hard to find your way around. I ended up leaving in frustration after spending five minutes running in circles.
[highlight][-][/code] Creeps took forever to kill - this could get very boring.
[highlight][-][/code] Spells were generally cliché.

Overall:
A dungeon map with great potential, but some mistakes that ruined the gameplay.

I vote kewlthis+Airandius.

@Dusk: I think I can pretty much agree with your post for all the maps. While I and several others found the warden fun (obviously, I wouldn't've done him that way otherwise), I can see why you would dislike it. I'm a bit frustrated with myself for not starting work on the map a bit sooner and getting the polish better, but that's life.

@Vercas: That would be ideal, but rather unfeasible, due to the authors likely wanting to put their names on their works, wanting to submit WIPs, wanting to test with people, and so on.

@redscores: While I can understand wanting to make your map difficult (In general, ours was a bit too easy, I agree), it shouldn't be impossible for beginners - you don't give enough useful information for people to know what's going on with the heroes before they've already picked. Additionally, the camera style made him rather hard to fight.

Level 40
I'm mainly basing my thoughts off the Elementalist's skillset, but there were definitely traces of it in the other heroes too. Additionally, I was a bit disappointed at the hero classes; even if inside them they had been approached differently, the names (and thus implications) were standard at best.

Level 17
Well, Shiel was thought to be a beginner boss, you need a proper and logical hero selection, then you can easily beat the map.

My map is not such a easy-weazy map like poots or kewlthis, its more for people which are able to think logical, which want a challenging game play and increasing difficult.

Maps are played to be fun.
Thinking is not fun.
Logical requires thinking.
Logical equals not fun?

Thanks for participating, everyone. Here's the scores. Thanks to Paladon and his team for judging.

Fallen Angel - Lucifer´s Keep
*Terrain
The usage of the imported doodads was very nice.
You haven´t spammed doodads or effects but it was enough to make a good job of giving the right dungeon feeling.
Reflecting The Jagged Relic and Ice Forge we decided to rate:
9/10

*Gameplay
The map was often interesting and always challenging. But it appeared partial prosy.
We agreed to give 12 of 15 possible points.
12/15

*Balancing
We noticed that the Warrior class outscored the Archer and Heretic classes.
However, the creeps appeared very balanced. Good job here.
The special way to revive also influenced our general impression.
12/15

*Creativity
Very creative levels, especially the eye´s one.
The usage of the multipaged inventory impressed us.
This map definitely doesn´t need items except of the potions.
The starting level was a bit too regular, the desert level too drap.
But the revive system..uuh very advantageous.
9/10

*Boss Battles
Oh, this was definitely the most challenging part of each submission.
And you mastered it very good.
Their spells as well as their appearence, balance and weak points turned out very nice.
We all agreed to honour this accordingly.
10/10

All in all, this map was very entertaining and well created.
We noticed a minor 'bug'. If all players enter the teleport out of the desert simultaneously, one of them is teleported back to the desert´s start.

Votes:
11/21

Total Rating:
52/60

The Jagged Relic
*Terrain
The terrain turned out very nice. It gave an extreme dungeon feeling.
It´s a pity that it turned boring after some playing time.
9/10

*Gameplay
This map needs more diversification.
The bosses were challenging, but it´s harder to play with four players than with only two.
Some of the spells of the heroes had really nice, although basic, effects.
We agreed to give 10 points.
10/15

*Balancing

The heroes seemed balanced. Good work.
But the creeps are simply underpowered, nothing but dust.
10/15

*Creativity
The whole dungeon looked like the ones from Diablo.
The usage of stacking doodads was a nice choice.
The first level was creative (for example the traps with the appearing skeletons) but the largest part of the map was unsurprisingly.
The bosses appeared very creative, but whatever, it´s another criteria.
7/10

*Boss Battles
The bosses turned out very good.
Each boss battle was kinda epic,long and challenging.
Honestly, it was the highlight.
My testing team and me decided to honour this by giving you the full marks for the boss battles.
10/10

Reminding to the Diablo games, this map was a very nice looking one with really creative boss battles.
But it needs more diversification.

Votes:
5/21

Total Rating:
46/60

Ice Forge
*Terrain
The terrain looked amazing. It gave an incredible dungeon feeling.
Nothing to add.
10/10

*Gameplay
Now it´s getting hard. Too hard.
It was frustrating for my testing team and me.
I had to change my team three times (for this map only) because noone wanted to continue testing.
The bosses and creeps are simply too hard to kill for the average user.
6/15

*Balancing
Same here. The heroes choice is not all prefernce.
The creeps are simply too strong, the heroes seemed kinda balanced to each other (bearing their classes in mind).
The overall level of difficulty is definitely too hard.
It wasn´t only a question of strategy anymore.
7/15

*Creativity
Very creative map.
You developed a (for my testing team and me) new principle of rpg.
And you used a creative camera system.
Although the camera was sometimes annoying, it still is a very creative concept.
10/10

*Boss Battles
Long battles. Sometimes specious endless.
We missed the really exciting boss atmosphere of the other submissions. The endboss was nice, though.
7/10

This map is really creative. Nothing to add here.
But it sometimes turned out very annoying, the gameplay was partial frustrating and bland.
We noticed two bugs:
The Elementalist is able to pull Shiel out of the map (through the ice).
Starting a new level results sometimes in a critical error for at least one player.

Votes:
5/21

Total Rating:
40/60

Thanks to donut3.5 for the calculations.

Lucifer's Keep: 60%*11/21 + 40%*52/60 = 66.10
The Jagged Relic: 60%*5/21 + 40%*46/60 = 44.95
Ice Forge: 60%*5/21 + 40%*40/60 = 40.95

And the winners are...

1st - Ragingspeedhorn and Purplepoot
2nd - kewlthis and Airdanus
3rd - Redscores and FamousPker49

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.