• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Teamcolor Particles

I searched for this some time ago and didn't find anything, then when I need this today I searched again without results. So, I take some time to figure out how this works.

What do you need?

- Magos ( War 3 Model Editor )

I'll make a simple edit to Jaina's model, to fill up this short tutorial.

1) Open magos, then go to Window/MPQ Browser. In the new window go to File/War3.mpq
Find the Jaina's model in "Units\Human\Jaina\". Double click to open it.
Don't close this window, you need to add 1 texture, it's GenericGlow64.blp and you will find it under "Textures\".
Right click on it and select "Use as texture".

2) Now, you need to create the emitter, go to Window/NodeManager. Right click in a blank area in the new window and
select Create Particle Emitter 2. Right click in the new emitter and select Edit Node, under Pivot Point section, give to Z a value of 20. Press Ok and then double click on it.

Important:
Things that make your model crash your game and the editor.

- Putting in the texture path a "ReplaceableId 2"(Created in the texture manager) and set Replaceable Id to 2 (Under Priority Plane).
- Leaving the texture path to "none" and set Replaceable Id to 2 (Under Priority Plane).

You must put a texture to the emitter to get it work (not a replaceable one), GenericGlow64.blp work just fine for the explanation. And don't forget to put 2 in Replaceable Id (Under Priority Plane).

Knowing this, set the values like this, then press Ok:

attachment.php

In magos, the particles will show white, don't worry, in the editor and in game will display fine.
Save the model, import the model to your map and you should get this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Credits as always to Magos.

Pd: If there something related to this, please give me the link.

Edit: Attached the modified Jaina's model.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,299
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Jaina.mdx
    152.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Some Research into further details:

• The ReplaceableTexture completely overrides the Texture chosen in the Dialogue Field. Only ReplaceableId 1 and 2 seem to work, with 1 of course having the problem of being square.
  • The engine will still heed the subdivision-animation that is used for the animated clouds. That will of course produce stupid results with ReplaceableId 2, so set the Fields "Start" and "End" for Head (Life Span), Head (Decay), Tail (Life Span) and Tail (Decay) to 0, and Rows and Collumns under Misc to 1.
  • Filter Modes unfortunately produce bad results, thanks to ReplaceableId 2 having no alpha channel and black background.
    -None, Transparent and Additive produce the same result, with the particles being additive.
    -Blend and Add Alpha show the black parts of the texture
    -Modulate and Modulate2x (has to be edited into the mdl, Magos doesn't support it) produce completely black squares.​
  • Most other settings should work fine no matter the values.

This only supports TeamGlow, magos let you put any number in the id field... and is better using a glow texture to see the effect in it.

Well, nobody gonna put more than 1 colum and row, everybody knows the teamglow texture is a single one and like any other texture with no alpha, blend, modulate and add alpha filters will don't work in particles.