• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #8 - Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm done, it was amusing i really love to be here with you guys. Hopefully i'll come up with more worthy works in the future..
140ckk3.jpg

Edit: I realised all other sites resizes the image that i upload.. so i uploaded it to drive, you can download and give it a look to see the little goblin's tiny butt and the cleveage of the refugee xd..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbYufOoBIOGOTIwWUlsdzBZQTg/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• thwcontest_giant_postproject.jpg
    thwcontest_giant_postproject.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Level 6
]ill try to join for fun, im a traditional artist though, does it have to be scanned? , or can it be photographed ..?

edit: lmao nvm, where are the female giants though? ok then heres a photo of my concept : a colossal magical stone snake woman who is the boss monster of a mountain ruin or smthn HAHAHA

attachment.php

20160506_172339.jpg

Last edited:
Level 34
]ill try to join for fun, im a traditional artist though, does it have to be scanned? , or can it be photographed ..?

edit: lmao nvm, where are the female giants though? ok then heres a photo of my concept : a colossal magical stone snake woman who is the boss monster of a mountain ruin or smthn HAHAHA

:goblin_jawdrop: maaaaaaaaaaan, that's an amazing wip, your style is awesome!

Last edited:
Level 28

It is okay to have it photographed or scanned, it just need to be clear enough (that WIP you uploaded looks very dark and not clear enough for now :p).

By the way, very cool WIP man! Your style is very cool indeed. Also I think Grendel's entry was a female... thing, if that counts.

Level 28
Hmm... It depends on how you approach it.

If the undead giant's design is something you created yourself, then it's okay.
If the fight is just to include the mountain king, instead of to portray the undead giant's power and might (and thus, turn this concept into more of a "feel" and "mood" painting), then it's problematic. You see, concept art isn't always purely about the design of a creature but also how you portray it. This helps the people on the other end understand the design better. Of course, usually, these mood and feel drawings are done for environment artworks and characters aren't depicted in scenes... In such a case, I believe a second concept will be needed that portrays the undead giant from all sides and in a generic stand pose, since in his fighting pose a lot of his design will be hidden (in atmospheric fog, behind his hands n such, etc.).

Level 34
Hmm... It depends on how you approach it.

If the undead giant's design is something you created yourself, then it's okay.
If the fight is just to include the mountain king, instead of to portray the undead giant's power and might (and thus, turn this concept into more of a "feel" and "mood" painting), then it's problematic. You see, concept art isn't always purely about the design of a creature but also how you portray it. This helps the people on the other end understand the design better. Of course, usually, these mood and feel drawings are done for environment artworks and characters aren't depicted in scenes... In such a case, I believe a second concept will be needed that portrays the undead giant from all sides and in a generic stand pose, since in his fighting pose a lot of his design will be hidden (in atmospheric fog, behind his hands n such, etc.).

Thanks man, i will keep that in mind, i will update my original scratch tomorrow :p, and on monday i will update my sketch :goblin_good_job:

Level 28
So here's my wip (I still have some work on the design before I get into the rendering step, not sure about the helmet and I have to add little pelts and human sized objects to it but the general idea is done).

When we think of giant we think of something stupid, slow and gigantic but I wanted to give a twist to this. In the norse mythology giants were actually slightly smarter than the Norse gods (like Loki and Odin...) even though they were pretty dumb. What I wanted to create here is a giant hero, like the giant version of Hercules.

Ktordinn's two handed sword was forged by a god and his moose-ram-deer antlers he took from a mighty gigantic beast he slayed. Even though he looks intimidating, he is known for his patience and wisdom (well, for giants). Most giants rely solely on raw strength but Ktordinn uses both agility and strength to defeat mythical beasts.
He learned the ways of the sword and agility from his human friend Raktir. They met near the cave of a mythical bear which they both needed to slay and dueled to see who was to claim the bear. Using Ktordinn's strength against himself, Raktir defeated the giant, but while they were busy fighting, a third hero slayed the bear. Both had to leave empty handed and somehow this common misfortune bonded them. Ktordinn thought Raktir how to properly use his strength and Raktir taught him the ways of the sword.

Attachments

• Zmeihander.jpg
    Zmeihander.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 211

Moy

Moy

Level 49
My brain broke because of thinking a concept.

I imagined a dragon at first. But then started to realize that it is cliche so I thought of adding some void theme on it then I realized again that it's missing something so I may edit it later. The tail's not included tho. So here's my first wip for the Burrowed Void Dragon. Also, I'm starting to think off adding it wings (just a small one, it will be stucked up when he burrows unto the ground) and some spikes over his spine. Will be edited sooner tho.

Attachments

• wip.png
    wip.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 187

Roland

R

Roland

I'm gonna update my entry

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
Hurrdur!

Lore: (I know it's not needed, but meh, I want to)

* A giant blob that loved humans very much to the point that it imitated their facial expression.

* Just its whole form alone can fill up a small lake (dry).

* One day it learned how to further its imitating abilities, and started morphing itself into the form of human.

* Maintaining the form's difficult, it ended up not looking very good. But the blob seemed happy with it and kept that appearance as its default.

* The blob was once adored, but now attacked by humans.

* In its "human" form, it usually keep its "face" tilted-up so it wouldn't easily distort(?)(is that the word for it?).

dudeS.jpg

Level 9
No doubt it's gonna be dope UgoUgo.
And when you look carefully it appears that there's 2 skull faces contained in one head and it seems the horns are not aligned correctly but that makes it more scary, i don't know it's just cool.

Last edited:
Level 50
Hmm Is background mandatory than? From what I've seen me and few other guys (like morbent) are doing humans, not monster creatures with ten extra limbs or five sets of wings. This got me to thinking that our submissions might not be considered ''creative'' or unique enough because we are doing human giants and aren't adding monster eye candy parts. This isn't monster creature contest, it is giant one where monsters shouldn't have better start position or extra points only because of their monstrosity appearance being considered creative. Further more are we supposed to, for example, draw some small creatures as well to get the contrast in sizes or?

Hmm Is background mandatory than? From what I've seen me and few other guys (like morbent) are doing humans, not monster creatures with ten extra limbs or five sets of wings. This got me to thinking that our submissions might not be considered ''creative'' or unique enough because we are doing human giants and aren't adding monster eye candy parts. This isn't monster creature contest, it is giant one where monsters shouldn't have better start position or extra points only because of their monstrosity appearance being considered creative. Further more are we supposed to, for example, draw some small creatures as well to get the contrast in sizes or?

As for the monster-like question: That is not necessarily true. There more monstrosity doesn't mean it is creative. Me for example, I don't think the my current execution looks creative, therefore I plan on adding little details as to strengthen the 'creative' part. Here's my view on creativity - 'do a lot of people are doing it?' <- then it is not creative.

SO how to make it look standout from the others? It doesn't matter how many limbs the giant have, you have to create a memorable characteristic, and that is the hardest part in executing any concept art. Sometimes even the smallest detail can make a big difference. For example, a human giant with its left limb placed significantly lower compared to its right counterpart. Or an extremely miniature lower jaw? Or something like a sad expression carrying a corpse? Blistered skins? glossy skin? The list goes on.

'So if you consider multi-limbed creatures are not creative, then why are you doing it?'
Honestly I don't know, I would say it's just my instinct acting on my execution.

Just a few pointers coming from my own experience, hope it helps!

Level 50
As for the monster-like question: That is not necessarily true. There more monstrosity doesn't mean it is creative. Me for example, I don't think the my current execution looks creative, therefore I plan on adding little details as to strengthen the 'creative' part. Here's my view on creativity - 'do a lot of people are doing it?' <- then it is not creative.

SO how to make it look standout from the others? It doesn't matter how many limbs the giant have, you have to create a memorable characteristic, and that is the hardest part in executing any concept art. Sometimes even the smallest detail can make a big difference. For example, a human giant with its left limb placed significantly lower compared to its right counterpart. Or an extremely miniature lower jaw? Or something like a sad expression carrying a corpse? Blistered skins? glossy skin? The list goes on.

'So if you consider multi-limbed creatures are not creative, then why are you doing it?'
Honestly I don't know, I would say it's just my instinct acting on my execution.

Just a few pointers coming from my own experience, hope it helps!

Well, yeah, basically we all got some other understanding of what is creative. And mine view is close to yours however I'm not sure if that will be relevant for someone who interpret it in different way as he may find creativity in a form of limbs quantity. So judges may want to elaborate on this a bit more since submissions can really be various in species (humans, monster etc.), as the only guideline given is to make gigantic being or creature.

Roland

R

Roland

I'm officially backing out of the contest, I "thank" my asshole cousin for reformatting all of my Files from my USB and stabbed the writing part of the tablet with his favorite shock pen. He also deleted all my backups (Designing, Games and Sketching) in my aunty's laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.