• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Secret Garden

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Mgeterno11
Neruvatar the Worldbuilder (still a novice)

SECRET GARDEN
Created by NERUVATAR

Map Info

It's an old leisure project. I was exploring WEditor and downloaded the UTM around 2013. At first I wanted a jungle exploration game. Then I wanted to design a romantic rendezvous. Somehow, these became the parents of this Secret Garden map.

It's a music video in one sense. You don't have to control anything but just sit down and relax while you stroll along the garden slowly.

Features

Wonderful view of a garden in 2013. It's 2016 now, my worldbuilding skills have somehow improved better than this, yet, I won't say it's a bad world (I think. LOL)

Some other stuff about map

Single player, but more of an observer. No foes (especially those peaceful deer roaming around)

No animals or plants are harmed in the production

Screenshots

Image Description:
This is you. But you can only glimpse her back in a brief moment

242064-albums8843-picture107968.jpg

Image Description:
Turquoise falls

242064-albums8843-picture107967.jpg

Credits

Special Thanks:
  • Yiruma's wonderful piano music (look up the title at the very end of the cinematic
  • Ultimate Terraining Map v3.0 compiled by DungeonM
  • My friends as contributors

Author's notes

I don't really have high hopes for high downloads, my map is open for editting because this, actually, is just a map with tufts and clumps of greeneries blotting around the map. I would appreciate if anyone could downsize it
Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
non-playable, garden, peaceful, cinematic, music
Contents

Secret Garden (Map)

Reviews
Rufus Moderation Note Veredict The cameras and cinematics are not very well-done, and it causes the viewer to miss out on a lot of the beautiful terrain that you have made. The first person camera seems to follow an invisible unit, adjusting to its...

M

profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
Veredict
The cameras and cinematics are not very well-done, and it causes the viewer to miss out on a lot of the beautiful terrain that you have made. The first person camera seems to follow an invisible unit, adjusting to its facing angle, creating sharp and weird camera angles. As the story of the map isn't very important, you could post this map as a template instead of a cinematic.
A cinematic of this quality would not be approved, but if you change it to template and retain the cinematic within as an extra feature, it could be approved.

While most of the terrain is quite beautiful, it lacks height variations, wich kind of shatters the entire environment. It looks too flat, and doesn't make the area feel natural.

I love all the critters, butterfly and spirits that was lurking around. You really made the forest feel alive!

I highly suggest you put the screenshots in the description in hidden tags, as for now they are really messing up the description.

Read Kinos review aswell, as it was very useful. It can help you improove the map further.

While there are things that could be improved, I think the map is good enough to be Approved with a rating of 3/5 if you change the category of the map to template instead of cinematic.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I'll review it soon.

edit:

Okay here is the problem with this cinematic, you could as well post a bunch of screenshots and achieve the same as this little map. The end result would be roughly the same.
Now, the terrain is quite decent in some areas. The tile management is quite poor and many objects do not fit one-another very well. Still, it's better to have too much than too little.
In the end I think the terrain lies around a 2/5, though one could make a solid case and give it 3/5, it's a bit of preference.

Not much more to comment on really, which was a bit sad since I expected a 'normal' cinematic.
I am unsure how to rate this, either 1/5 or 2/5 because quite frankly there is no reason to watch this, you might as well view it from the editor itself.
Yet the terrain is above average which technically should make it approval ready.

Depends on the mod, I suppose.

Level 23
I fundamentally disagree that a map is "pointless" because it depicts a cinematic in an unorthodox way.
Also, it has value as a terrain template at bare minimum.

As for the map itself I feel that there are a few issues with it at the moment.
1) For a map that is very centered on presentation/aesthetic (any cinematic for that matter), you have very few excuses for using Blizz cliffs.

2) The 1st person camera doesn't do the terrain or models used any justice.

3) Having the camera show the protagonist would help the cinematic make more sense from the start. As of now, there is no context for the cinematic until the end. See point (5) for why I think this is a problem.

4) Biggest gripe is that the overall terrain is mostly random doodad-spam. There are a few areas such as the autumn area and the lake-lookout which really caught my attention, otherwise it felt very much the same.
Lacks landmarks, proper transition, an overall atmosphere and buildup to the major scenes.

5) The combination of 3 (lack of context/plot) and 4 (lack of distinct scenes) means that the a lot of this cinematic involves moving through uninteresting scenes that don't seem to go anywhere and due to (3) the viewer doesn't seem to care either.

If the intention was the make to "silent movie" of wc3 cinematics, there are definitely ways to execute it well.
Id like to believe that I at least "get" what you were trying to do, and hopefully this will be useful.

Last edited:
Level 26
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Moderation Note

storywritingart.gif
Veredict
The cameras and cinematics are not very well-done, and it causes the viewer to miss out on a lot of the beautiful terrain that you have made. The first person camera seems to follow an invisible unit, adjusting to its facing angle, creating sharp and weird camera angles. As the story of the map isn't very important, you could post this map as a template instead of a cinematic.
A cinematic of this quality would not be approved, but if you change it to template and retain the cinematic within as an extra feature, it could be approved.

While most of the terrain is quite beautiful, it lacks height variations, wich kind of shatters the entire environment. It looks too flat, and doesn't make the area feel natural.

I love all the critters, butterfly and spirits that was lurking around. You really made the forest feel alive!

I highly suggest you put the screenshots in the description in hidden tags, as for now they are really messing up the description.

Read Kinos review aswell, as it was very useful. It can help you improove the map further.

While there are things that could be improved, I think the map is good enough to be Approved with a rating of 3/5 if you change the category of the map to template instead of cinematic.