• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
I will be getting a fast internet tomorrow, so I may post it then. I thought I would be getting it only in 2016, but since this happens sooner, I will post my entry tomorrow.

Hey Arad, are you still uploading? Can't wait to see your entry. :)

EDIT: Oh you already uploaded it. Will take a look and give my first impression there. Make sure to post at least a link here stating that it is your entry for the contest.

Level 25
YouTube account licenses have little to nothing to do with copyright issues (unless it's an official company/band channel which more than likely means it's copyright protected). Check around for anything about copyright policies or if they give permission for their work to be used royalty free. If music artists are serious about their work, they'll mention something about it somewhere.

Level 9
So I take it that we can use SE/Music under youtube license, since we don't use them for making money? Of course if we don't consider the prize as "making money"? Is it making money?? These policies really have no clear boundaries!

I think you still have a whole Jan 3rd, am I right?
I know. Plus January 3rd I need one or half a day more.

Level 31
Personally I have no problem for this to be extended a day or two, I guess same goes for other participants who already submitted their entries (still waiting for Tickles' final submittion), so I guess you could contact Archian via PM and ask for it to be extended for at least a day, unless of course he keeps an eye on this thread.

Level 28
Final Entry

Surprisingly I'm actually submitting an entry to this contest :D
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did while making it (aside from rushing like hell lol).

attachment.php

PosterTransparen800x800.png

Attachments

• Grobb n Limpsy.w3x
    16 MB · Views: 211
Level 25

Description

Screenshots

Video

Credits

GlisteningHeartLogo.jpg

A polar bear cub finds its mother killed after
fending off a pack of voracious wolves.

SS01.png
SS02.png
SS03.png

Hitting the Esc key allows you to enter Test Mode
where you can see the elapsed time and scene of the cinematic. It also
allows further Esc key presses to jump to the next scene.

Audio Credits

Lucas King - Anguish, New Day, Snow Angels
scratchikken - Underwater Loop
ryanconway - Underwater Breathing
mallement - Footsteps in Snow
cylon8472 - Cthulu Growl
mjudo12 - Freewilly
Glaneur de sons - Woosh
Calethos - Bump
Model Credits

Blizzard (World of Warcraft) - Polar Bear, Polar Bear Cub, Draenor Wolf, Kraken, Orca, Goldfish
HappyCockroach - Animated Plants
Fingolfin - Halo Tree, Asteroids, Black Hole
iNfraNe - Water Plane
oGre_ - Stones
armel - Medusa
RightField - Earth
tobyfat50 - Ruins Tree
Daelin - Cosmic Touch
ban-lord - Nebula
DCrimson - Blue Aftershock

Attachments

• Glistening Heart v1.w3x
    18.2 MB · Views: 259

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

tickles, it's just really deep for me.

your cinematic reminds me of infrane and anitarf entry for the blizzard cinematic contest. really, wonderfull.

Level 9
Okay, since there'll be no extensions I might be make it in time by cutting some corners. Can't risk 2 months of work! But I'd upload my map in the last minute :D

Important: How can I use floating texts with a black screen for credits? because the fade filter removes them.

Figured it out.

Last edited:
Level 31
Another 3 entries incoming? Sounds great!

Well done indeed, Tickles, it does look better than the WIP version for sure, wish you good luck. :)

Magixxar, just put big as flat as you can doodad on the ground, set its colors to 0, 0, 0, and apply camera on it so that screen is totally black, then trigger your text ontop of it. Make sure fog does not catch your object, so set Start value for it much bigger than usual. That's how I did it.

Level 9
Another 3 entries incoming? Sounds great!

Well done indeed, Tickles, it does look better than the WIP version for sure, wish you good luck. :)

Magixxar, just put big as flat as you can doodad on the ground, set its colors to 0, 0, 0, and apply camera on it so that screen is totally black, then trigger your text ontop of it. Make sure fog does not catch your object, so set Start value for it much bigger than usual. That's how I did it.

Thanks for your help but I've figured it out in another way. I set sky to none and made the camera face the abyss :)
Yours also possible.
I asked only because I thought that there is a trick to use it with fade filters. Thank you anyways.

Level 31
I'm glad you made it work your own way, Loner. :)

Well done with your cinematic, Radicool, amazing work with the sounds and transmissions. :)
I especially liked those sound effects, it did magic. Ceiling fan camera shot was amazing, it gave that feeling of ceiling. What I personally would like to be different there is the size of the ship that lands on ground, making it realisticly huge would make lots of sense, of course then it gets blurry. And of course ending, it felt like a little unfinished, because not everyone were killed, it would have felt better if all were killed I guess, but that's just my personal view. Good job on your entry, good luck! :)

Level 25
I've had a bad cold the last five or so days, so I've been pretty much bedridden until today (APproject's cinematic hit home for me in that sense). Now I was able to watch all of the other cinematics in detail, and wow! What a contest. It's great to see how many people have submitted entries compared to the last contest, and there's still a few hours left for one or two more to hopefully roll in.

Arad MNK
Nice tension buildup for the final battle, and I love how you incorporated credit text in some of the action shots near the beginning. The brothers looked a little too different in their geared and ungeared versions, but the slight confusion there didn't really interrupt the flow of the cinematic. Showing the sky change was a nice touch towards the end. Knowing what the villain was, it made it very clear what was happening.
Naze
I found myself smiling throughout this entire cinematic. Very entertaining, and I really think you should make a playable map or campaign based on this. It was also interesting how you panned a continuous camera around throughout the duration of the cinematic.
Radicool
It's tough making a full conversion from Warcraft 3 to sci fi, but you pulled it off very nicely. Everything from the atmospheric effects and sounds to robots and marines, it was very intriguing. I was excited to see the final scene with all of the sinister tension built up. Also, I really liked how you had the text type itself out in the traditional sci fi fashion.
APproject
Holy crap. It felt like I was watching an actual short film, and I often enjoy those better than unlimited budget AAA movies since they deliver a powerful message in such a short period of time. And that's exactly what you did, because how often do people stop to think about how tough it was for the doctors back then when everyone around them was dying without any real hope? You set the atmosphere perfectly for the situation; very grim and dreadful. The pure black on the woman's fingers took a little bit of immersion out of the moment, but I guess it got the point across that there were multiple things wrong with her. Some of the sounds were a bit extreme or scratchy (especially the coughing near the end), but the spot on voice acting and atmosphere totally made up for it.

Level 13
5 or 6 hours later I'm posting mine. Wait for me :))

Update:
----------------------------
Wait a minute!! What do you guys use for capturing the cinematic? Mind sharing the info?

Fraps is a good way to Capture or BlueBerry. Both have trial of limited versions. It is not required to record your movie for this contest however. Feel free to sent me a message if you want me to record the map for you.

Last edited:
Level 19
Wow I love these shorts!

Heres my own commentary then :D Since I couldn't finish my entry at least I can comment :p

Okay;

I already posted comment about APproject's short. It was awesome and the theme was expressed so good. The details and terraining and models were great! Some animations were not very natural but that needs time to make it flawless but the time given for the contest was short.

For Naze, I can say it was a different type of comedy :D I actually enjoyed the animals and human mixed society, and the story was good too. Comedy is harder imo bcz its all about if u can make the audience laugh, this one did make me laugh at some points and I was never bored.

Arad MNK's story was great too, the terraining and lighting... I liked the animations too. The flashbacks were fast and didnt interrupt the cinematic from flowing. Just some of the fighting parts were a bit confusing but it's not a big deal for me since you all had little time.

For Radicool, I loved the starcraft theme. The whole cinematic was like a part of a movie, it had nice tension growing up. I liked the fps view of the marine before entering the CC. I loved the starcraft sounds as well :D The only bad part I could find was, the story was left so unclosed. One marine died, the other one ran to darkness and the other team is left in the room.

For Tickles, I couldn't watch the final version so I'll leave another one for you later if u won't mind :)

All in all I loved all of them, props to your efforts and outputs they are all excellent pieces of work. Some of us couldnt even finish, that's me :p

I hope I didnt offend anyone, I really appreciate your time spent on these...

Level 21
FINALLY it uploaded! This is my very late submission for the cinematic contest.
I hope it still counts. :/ Anyways I'm glad to share it!

Note that it runs much much smoother in wc3, youtube destroyed the audio.
I'm planning on uploading it to the hive in the coming days. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPP5p4CE2s

Attachments

• prince.jpg
    prince.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 186

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

whoa, pretty cool cinematic there. although, you can remove that TC background of the model when the monster speak. it's just looks weird to me.

oh, i really love that voice acting. +REP

Level 9
This is my final entry. I didn't get enough time to put the SEs and Audio. So, take it as a silent movie :) I wonder if my entry is eligible at all...
Just one more day would do magics. But no problem. I'm really exhausted and gonna sleep all the next week. :D
Finally I have time to see your works too.

Recommended Resolution: 1024x768x32
View attachment The Legend of Lost Brothers Final Version.w3x

Level 31
Thank you for your generous review, Tickles. :) As for the fingers, it showed one of the symptoms of the plague - necrosis, it also can happen on nose or lips, these areas are more noted on other corpses, but yeah, it does look a bit too black, but making it just dark would look like dirt I guess. :)

@Ungoliath, impressive cinematic you got there, looks and feels really mysterious, also well executed. Visuals were great, except for the sky box ruining some shots. I also had troubles understanding the story behind this, so I watched it few times, it gets more clear after the second go, for me perosnally of course. Well done though. :)

Also, I think you are late with your entry, because I think you posted the video on Jan 4th, your entry must be a map too, not a video. Video is just optional, your map is what matters. If you had problems with uploading, you should have picked the smallest upload. Since your map was only 86 MBs, your 1080p video was around 200 MB I guess, so you should have went with map as it uploads faster. But let's hope your entry will be accepted, try to upload the map as soon as you can though.

@Loner-Magixxar, well done indeed! It really felt like a movie action, those custom animations did really good, it really would have been great if not the audio issue. It was silent and it killed the experience really. You should have paid at least 5 minutes of your time and get some random WoW music, that would have been the very least you could have done and it would have worked perfectly, now there is no music, some sound effects for slashing, hitting, shooting could have done magic as well. Visual part was really well made, audio part is non-existant though. I guess you really needed that one day extension. :) I hope your entry will be accepted too, an extension of a day or two would be good for you to fix that audio part, it's a must in my opinion.

Level 16
Great videos guys!! Enjoyed every one of them! Since everybody is reviewing, well, everybody, I may as well jump in too :)

I've already reviewed APproject, so I'll start with Tickles.

This cinematic was fantastic. It was somber yet very warm. You've done well to create this paradoxical contrast so effectively. The surrealism was great and flowed nicely. I can't really offer much constructive feedback, I think everything was done the way it should be. Perhaps a couple of medium close ups of the wolves and bears bodies after the fight to highlight what happened. Great work tickles!

Have to say I really like the first scene of the villager being hanged. And I don't mean to say that in a creepy sense, but the camera work, scene and animations were perfect. A great way to start setting that eerie mood.

I have to question the rationale behind the fight between the prince and his demonic brother. I found it a little out of place. I also think the third piece of music sounded strange. Poor quality perhaps or it was played too quietly, not sure. I think it would have been nice to develop the character of the king a little more too, but I know its hard to fit it in with the 5 minute rule.

I'd like to finish by saying all your camera positions and environment were superb, but best all of your voice acting! I think you top the list with voice acting. I could sense the realism in most of the voicing. The emotions were well communicated within the voices. The dying man at the beginning in particular sounded great. Well done!

This is a tricky cinematic to review. I think sound is just as important as your environment in immersing your target audience and you your cinematic has missed a great deal of potential by omitting it. I do understand you had time constraints.

I do think your animations top all the contestants. An honorable mention to the dragon! Your story was great, however I think the motive of your antagonist needed to be explained a little more. Which really makes me wish we all had an extra few minutes to do so :-( I think my favorite scene was outside the castle walls. I liked the footmen patrolling on the walls. It gave the scene a nice touch.

Overall, it was a great cinematic, I just wished there was sound and some ambiance to supplement your great cinematic.

This was an interesting submission. I didn't expect to see a comedy to be honest. Not sure how to properly review a comedy because they're normally so different. but I did think you did rather well. I had a few laughs :D

You cinematic could have had a touch up with the environment. Some scenes looked a bit bland and bare with large areas of those white tiles. You also had a contrast of a Warcraft 3 vibe going, but added some modern elements to the mix which worked and gave a unique theme to your map. I kind of liked that to be honest.

Pretty happy with how it all turned out. I enjoyed watching it :)

Everybody did really well. I enjoyed watching every one of them. We should all be proud of what we have created. It's been a lot of fun crafting my cinematic all this time, and I'm pleased with it. I'm sure you all feel the same. I'm glad I participated in this contest :D

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Thanks everyone for participating!

We've reached the deadline as such this thread will now be closed for any further entries.

The contest judges will now begin the process of watching all the submitted entries.

If your entry doesn't meet the requirements, then you need to update the entry ASAP!

List of final entries:

Last edited:
Level 21
I have now uploaded my map! You will find it here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/prince-rhoswen-v1-0-a-274303/

Note that I will fully flesh out the info section later tonight, when I have the time.
Could use some guidelines though, for instance, how do I change the picture of the map? Would like to have the image I posted in this thread. :)

So sorry for the delay guys!

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
You don't have time for that.

We will accept your entries, even though they exceed 5 minutes. I realize that this might seem a bit unfair for the other participants. But seeing as it's just a mere 1 minute and you're probably not the only ones who exceeded 5 minutes I'll allow it. Plus the whole point of keeping it to 5 minutes was because participants was challenged to tell a unique story in a short time, and 6.15 minutes seem just short enough.

Just update your entry Loner-Magixxar.

Level 9
Last edited:
Level 8
Well done everybody, Its great to see such interest in cinematic maps. Here is a humble review from a fellow cinematic lover.

I have noticed your passion to create surreal looking cinematics and I must say you are very good at it. I loved your previous cinematic entry "The passage" even though the contest failed to bare fruit. Now this entry, eloquently titled "Glistening Heart", resonates a beautiful message of love but also the inevitable tragedy of life. Marvellous work. 5/5 from me.

It was quite a confusing cinematic, I must say. In the end though I got the message you were trying to send, Indifference is always healthy for society (at least that's what I got from it). The cinematic is a comedic escape from the predominantly dramatic entries of the other contestants. I would have liked to have seen a better environment, a more non warcraft feel. Even though this map is titled "Grobb and Limpsy in the actual world of Warcraft". 3.5/5

Well very good. I really liked your animations and the smoothness of your camera work. With a more focused story (I felt the plot jumped to different characters without explaining much). Now that you added music it makes things a little more exciting! You've made a good cinematic 4/5

Grade A cinematic. I liked the leg close up. A message of sorrow and grimness echoes from the last moments of the doctor. And of course the naked woman was very creepy. The emotions that you intended to bring out from the viewer have successfully rendered me in awe. 5/5

Could have been better. I liked the animation at some points, then again not as much at other point. Good idea to add flash backs but I still think you could have done it better(maybe with less flashbacks). The voice acting was great. Keep it up, you are awesome. 4/5 out of me

It started great and built up a lot of tension, but somehow in the end it fails to realise what it created. I didn't like the button pressing scene and the small ship (make it huge). The camera work after they landed, is impressive and the atmosphere of the scenes is beautiful. The ending was too ambiguous for me. It was a great cinematic nevertheless. 4/5

Best voice acting ever. Congratulations. The colouring and the environment of the scenes is great also. What I didn't like is that the story was too slow moving and in the end no real conclusion was given, the prince should have killed the dad or the brother and then save the sister. But still it was an awesome job. 4/5

Without music and sound effects it felt lacking. I got bored at some point.Also using the same model for everyone and everything is not a good idea.. Still it was a good try and I liked the guys stuck in the elevator (too bad for them). 2/5

That's it, all of you did a great job. A lot of effort went into your maps, I'm sure. This is my humble personal opinion. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.