• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Damaging Spell Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I've recently devised a way to perfectly know which object editor spell is doing damage. It's based on dummy casters and using a damage detection system.

Attached is a test map that illustrates what can be done with this functionality. For the sake of proving a point, I've made it GUI-friendly.

I'm thinking of providing a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this trick. It's quite noob-friendly IMO, so it could noticeably spice up maps submitted by people who don't know how to code in vJASS yet.

Attachments

• SpellHit Test.w3x
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
Level 21
EDIT:
Another thing... you do realize that dummy units now deal the damage instead of the caster right?

Yeah. This has some side-effects. For instance, units hit by spells might run away despite the "caster" being visible and attackable.
However, most other problems can be accounted for.

PDD already done this right?

It doesn't. PDD detects damage type and source, but not which spell did the damage. This method does use PDD though.

Level 33
Yeah. This has some side-effects. For instance, units hit by spells might run away despite the "caster" being visible and attackable.
However, most other problems can be accounted for.

It doesn't. PDD detects damage type and source, but not which spell did the damage. This method does use PDD though.

oh. I didn't read the whole post completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.