• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[POLL] Hero Contest #7

This is a [color=deepskyblue]Preferential Voting[/color] Poll! Three Easy Steps:

• 1) DL, Unzip & Test the Entries

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 2) Post in this thread with your Vote [size=1](see below & 2nd post)[/size]

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 3) Vote: Rank all [size=1](or as many as you can)[/size] the entries in order from [b]Best (1) to

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • [b]Voting is a privilege, not a right. If your ranked Vote does not contain sufficient explanation/

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Lol, more traffic than this thread has seen in a while. xD

Good idea. I would go for a Shadow Assassin myself if I didn't feel I had to make a Necromancer hero so badly. :cry:
Yeah, I feel your pain there, man. I had my mind set so much on doing an "Astral Projection"-type ability, that I ended up shoving it into his Ultimate, even though it totally destroyed his whole "Role-coherency" (or at least, barely contributed to it).

I've already designed a better, simpler & more Role-tastic Ultimate. But le sigh. Better luck next time.

Hmm, curious, it turned unit portraits red? Never encountered that myself I don't think, either way, it's something I'll look into next time.
I think it happens when a debuff is on a unit. Not sure how to avoid it.

Footman16 said:
Depends upon your form of English, but in British English it is Marshall, with the two LLs.

Well, It wouldn't be surprising, I did rush the map four days before the contest was first to be ended. I was already two weeks late, I just did not have enough time to start a new concept- let alone fix my mistakes.

I appreciate your rating, and it was a nice part in my involvement in the contest. While I enjoyed looking at what the other people made, I am quite satisfied with your judgement.
It happens. Thanks, and better luck next time.

(I thought you'd unsubscribed :<...)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Uhm, okay, I think I'm losing because somehow people think my hero is a duplicate of Lich (just because of his frost nova spell), whereas it's not, guess I get not only 0/10 for theme, but -50/10 lol. Fair enough. My hero is extremely optimized, totally bug free, extremely balanced, has high versatility, totally melee-ish, easiest around here to be used, simply have the highest useability value. But guess those mean nothing here.
(I thought you'd unsubscribed :<...)
Actually, it's me. :)

This is exactly why I will never achieve something here on THW, or any other places :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Dalvengyr said:
This is exactly why I will never achieve something here on THW, or any other places :)
I wouldn't say that... :<

~

Dalvengyr said:
My hero is extremely optimized,
True (from what I hear)

Dalvengyr said:
totally bug free,
Also true (from what I hear)

Dalvengyr said:
extremely balanced,
Erm...

Dalvengyr said:
has high versatility,
Somewhat

Dalvengyr said:
totally melee-ish,
Yes in some ways, no in some others

Dalvengyr said:
easiest around here to be used,
Nonsense. Yours was easy, thankfully, but I think Cosmicat did a better job (not to mention myself, IMO)

Dalvengyr said:
simply have the highest useability value. But guess those mean nothing here.
Erm... Subjective much?

Uhm, okay, I think I'm losing because somehow people think my hero is a duplicate of Lich (just because of his frost nova spell), whereas it's not, guess I get not only 0/10 for theme, but -50/10 lol. Fair enough.
This is the biggest issue for me. It's not a matter of the similarities between the Lich's 'Frost Nova' and your Banshee Queen's 'Frost Lance'. It goes way beyond that, unfortunately. They're both ghostly (Well, the Lich is on the bottom half), they both have Frost spells & a Frost focus (so much frost in the race already...), and they're both Caster-Intelligence heroes! (the Undead could've really used an Agility hero (like Dusk&Jigrael's "Deadeye" from the Wc3C HC#3), or even another Caster with a different focus (like Mythic's "Dark Sorceror" from THW's HC#7)...) Moreover, the Ultimate is identical to the Death Knight's ultimate (except they all come back as Zombies & all have a Frost effect). It's just too much in common with what already exists.

Moreoverover, as Softmints pointed out, it's really a hallmark of 'good design' to create a Hero with (at least) 2 main "facets" they focus on. The Lich does this; he technically only has 2 "Frost" abilities (Frost Nova/Armor), and the other 2 are "Undeath" abilities (Dark Ritual/Death & Decay). (The icons are 3/4 blue, though, and he fires chunks of ice, so Blizzard worked to express a greater focus on the ice, methinks. Look at almost every in-game Hero and this is true.

So it's not just one particular ability that people are mistaking. It is several, and then it is the Hero itself, in a very fundamental way.

~

But like I said, don't speak so soon. The voting was only 25% of the final score...

Level 14
Uhm, okay, I think I'm losing because somehow people think my hero is a duplicate of Lich (just because of his frost nova spell), whereas it's not, guess I get not only 0/10 for theme, but -50/10 lol.

You did well under my judging; a full 10 points above average. But these theme issues still hurt you. The challenge of this contest is designing a hero that is both functional, and fits into a ladder faction. So it is fair game for anyone to observe: "hey, this hero has some problems fitting with Undead". If you didn't realise the extent of the overlap, or how many marks might be riding on it: that's fine, you've learned something and become a more mindful designer for it. If you did realise, then you should have a better idea how to approach the challenge for next time. My judging writeup goes into more detail.

I would also recommend reading what I said about Mythic's hero when the results come out, as there were some similar themes.

Moreoverover, as Softmints pointed out, it's really a hallmark of 'good design' to create a Hero with (at least) 2 main "facets" they focus on.

Referring to my rule of thumb regarding hero theme: that using at least two visual elements distinctly, generally produces a much richer and firmer sense of character. But no-one else has seen me say that yet, since it's described in my judging document. :crazz:

I hope we will not be waiting another month for judging to conclude.
aKZuBN9.gif

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Yeah, I become 4th worst just because of that theme issue. But you are right, you are no judge, no big deal. :)

Also, honestly, I can't expect a good score on that criteria indeed, I already knew it from the first place, it's totally fine. But I just can't make my mind how come it become a so terrible issue, causing me tobe kicked away to 8th rank. Without seeing other scoring in other fields, your review can be very argue-able. Maybe that's a side impact of this voting system.

My hero is not perfect, it's too monotonous, totally icy, which is not fitting the melee theme very nicely, yeah, I knew it already. I've been prepared for that. I'm affraid people's failed to spot another positive side of my hero, aside from that (luckily) cool frostwave ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.