• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's another wip... and, shame on me, i dunno if ill be able to finish in time... i'll do my best though...

Attachments

• horror.png
    horror.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 158
Hey, good start though it seems a little long. That, and the texture makes it a little tough to make out.

POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT AHOY.
its head is intentionally long. well, i agree i can shrink it down a little bit, but still i want it to look kinda 'wrong' so it is freakier :p

I looks interesting. You made me curious about it HappyCockroach/ ummm have fun I guess:)

rushed the wrap in many parts, some are still black, waiting for a texture. it was going to have a pair of wings that fell apart at a morph anim. i guess i'll just scratch them rightaway :v

Attachments

• horror2.png
    horror2.png
    47 KB · Views: 179

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Will upload the submarine tomorow or the day after tomorow, probably.
Here is a picture while you wait. Animations will be tweaked a little till then.

Even if I don't fully complete it, I'll probably submit it anyway, just to participate.
HammerheadWIP15.jpg
I love it. Very nice & sleek, with the dorky Goblin hanging out the top as per your usual style. : )

Level 26
Final entry.

Here goes, ladies and gentlemen. The Goblin Hammerhead Submarine.

[Pending a decision from higherups (or something)]

Attachments

• GoblinHammerhead_Final.mdx
    191.7 KB · Views: 141
  • GoblinHammerheadTorpedoProjectile_NoReplacmentNecessary.mdx
    22.9 KB · Views: 107
  • HammerheadWIP15.png
    HammerheadWIP15.png
    540 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Level 26
You replaced Albatross blood? And impale dust?
I'm gonna be honest, that doesn't sound all that great. That means you can't use albatrosses or Impale at all with your model. :(

Well, that's only for the torpedo. If you are really that worried about it, you can prob. edit the torpedo and go for an ingame water and a explosion effect to get a similar effect.

Hmm.. Guess I'll attach a version where you don't have to replace anything as the portrait.

Well, that's only for the torpedo. If you are really that worried about it, you can prob. edit the torpedo and go for an ingame water and a explosion effect to get a similar effect.

Hmm.. Guess I'll attach a version where you don't have to replace anything as the portrait.
while i do think it's clever and nice to use custom spawned effects as you are doing, I dunno if that's alright for a contest model.

we traditionally can't use other people's work as part of our entries, except if it's in the wc3 MPQ's. I think it would be good for the contest if you did a version of yours of that explosion or used stuff that is in the MPQ. or we may object that old rule and specify the exceptions.

Level 26
while i do think it's clever and nice to use custom spawned effects as you are doing, I dunno if that's alright for a contest model.

we traditionally can't use other people's work as part of our entries, except if it's in the wc3 MPQ's. I think it would be good for the contest if you did a version of yours of that explosion or used stuff that is in the MPQ. or we may object that old rule and specify the exceptions.

Uploaded a torpedo version without a need to replace anything. Hope the rest of you are satisfied with it.

Uploaded a torpedo version without a need to replace anything. Hope the rest of you are satisfied with it.
how immature. It isn't for "my satisfaction", i said i had no problem with it, the issue is that the rules go against it. if we allow you to do that, anyone can merge models of other people to make theirs. (that, even with the respective credits isn't allowed at the moment)

well, anyhow. heres another wip:

165527-albums6053-picture85341.gif

did a lot of progress with animation, alternate form and effects are missing.

Level 26
Hm? I wasn't about immaturity. I didn't want to conflict with established rules and thus choose to make a version without a need to import hive models to get a cool effect going. I was basically asking if this was a satisfactory standard quality after the changes.

The changes are not about satisfying myself. I still plan to use the one with attached SFX for private use and for others both versions are available to download from the resource section. I wanted to see if you deemed it a passable model in the context of the contest after the change.

You shouldn't go so quickly to slurs after misunderstanding my phrasing.
Aaanyhow, your model looks nice. Hope you manages to complete it before the contest ends.

After all, the contest is officially over in.. 23 hours and 15 minutes.

You shouldn't go so quickly to slurs after misunderstanding my phrasing.
Aaanyhow, your model looks nice. Hope you manages to complete it before the contest ends.
oh. sorry :|
I was sure you were using an irritated tone with the "hope you are satisfied now". well, that would have been ridiculous. but english isn't my first language and i'm not so good at detecting 'tones'. well, whatever, all is fine then. i'll check your model in a while, spawned effects only show in-game and i'm lazy :v

and thanks, i guess i'll make it, my progress been steady and fast paced

Posing looks good so far, though rather... 'rickety'? Where's the TeamColor going?
where is teamcolour going..... good question. ._.

i still don't know. it should go somewhere better than just a hero glow.

and its rickety is something you'll need to put up with cos im alread animating :p

You say Kellym0 made the animations.And in the submitted model section it is "by [Kellym0] and [MiniMage]".
I remember it's not allowed to have several person working on the same entry for a contest.
You can recieve help if he answers you a question or explain you how to do something but doing the whole animation for you is kind of unfair for other contestant who may be poorly skilled at animating but still tried something by themself.

Level 26
You say Kellym0 made the animations.And in the submitted model section it is "by [Kellym0] and [MiniMage]".
I remember it's not allowed to have several person working on the same entry for a contest.
You can recieve help if he answers you a question or explain you how to do something but doing the whole animation for you is kind of unfair for other contestant who may be poorly skilled at animating but still tried something by themself.

Actually, to be quite honest. The rules does not specify that.
So you want me to withdraw my entry?

Btw, what happened to Proxy's entry? He appeared so eager to begin in the start.
Also, 10 Hours and 55 minutes left until the contest officially ends.

Btw, what happened to Proxy's entry? He appeared so eager to begin in the start.
Also, 10 Hours and 55 minutes left until the contest officially ends.
I remember someone got DQ from a past modeling contest for doing something similar.Also I remember some dudes asked to enter as a team in a contest and got refused.
Also as Happycoakroach said :
Animation is included in "other people's work".

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I can't believe it... But he's right. I can't seem to find anywhere in the Rules (nor in mine, which I painstakingly crafted for MC#25) about "being the sole author of your model".

That's a massive oversight, I must say. :<

Level 26
So; Should I or should I not remove my participation?

Oh and I edited those rockets/torpedos so that that you don't have to replace anything.
It's in the same post they were talking about. I just updated that one after that guy said that.

I don't really care if I am in the contest or not, I just want a clear answer what you guys want me to do.
I personally love the submarine and I found the contest to be a great motivator to work on it. If you don't want me to participate, I wont.

Last edited:

Oh and I edited those rockets/torpedos so that that you don't have to replace anything.
It's in the same post they were talking about. I just updated that one after that guy said that.

I don't really care if I am in the contest or not, I just want a clear answer what you guys want me to do.
I personally love the submarine and I found the contest to be a great motivator to work on it. If you don't want me to participate, I wont.
Considering we already got 3 judges, I think it would be best if you stay.
The rules themselves do not specify that teamwork is not allowed, which i'm sure is a mistake, so I guess we can look this over for this contest atleast.
Make sure to avoid the teamwork in future contests though, it really isn't fair to the other people (I suck at animations lol) who make their whole model on their own. And you'd do good to add such a rule for future contests aswell.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, that really depends, but to be honest, it's not up to us; we'll need someone in authority (since you are a Moderator & moreover started this contest). In my opinion, while this should be the case for all future contests (like I said, massive oversight), you technically didn't break any explicit rules, so meh. Leave it be & we'll fix the problem next time.

MiniMage said:
Well that's awful humble of you. : ) I'm sure something equitable will be decided.

And yeah, I definitely understand the latter sentiment; I get the same exact feeling from Techtree & Hero contests (a great motivator, forcing me to get off my duff & actually mod for once rather than planning or talking about it). Good stuff.

Level 51
I'm quite sure there was a rule in earlier contests that it could only be your work.

Also, what would have been the point of the team-modelling contests where the point was to FINALLY TEAM UP WITH SOMEONE for a contest.

It was always obvious for everybody most of the time that it had to be a solo work anyway, no offense.

I don't really care anyway. I totally lost the motivation and worked on something else, blame the inner dog in me.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm quite sure there was a rule in earlier contests that it could only be your work.

Also, what would have been the point of the team-modelling contests where the point was to FINALLY TEAM UP WITH SOMEONE for a contest.

It was always obvious for everybody most of the time that it had to be a solo work anyway, no offense.

I don't really care anyway. I totally lost the motivation and worked on something else, blame the inner dog in me.
I too agree that it is (for the most part) 'obvious' (hence my utter confusion that it wasn't actually 'written down' as a rule), but like I said, he didn't explicitly do wrong. Perhaps at worst, he could be asked to remove KellyM0's contribution (just the animations, right?) and provide his own (probably ported over from some other ship or something). But maybe not even that.

And sure, blame the dog. :p "My dog ate my homework!" "My dog ate my motivation!". Lawl.

- Clockwork Horror -

165527-albums6053-picture85366.gif

A contraption designed by the Undead to be an "undead" out of things that never had life. It is meant to be a beast raised out of the assembly of dead machinery. It may eventually lose its own parts, and regain them at a later time. Able to cannibalize debris and regain health. Might as well rebuild its own wings by eating old iron junk.​
165527-albums6053-picture85364.gif

165527-albums6053-picture85368.gif

Average polycount in-game: 790 polys.
Average polycount at alternate form: 950 polys.
(particles are included in the polycount)

Attack Point: 0.333
Attack Backswing: 0.750
Attack Point (Alternate Form): 0.720
Attack Backswing (Alternate): 0.900
Animation Walk Speed: 100
Animation Run Speed: 400 (Or 2000 if you want it to always perform the walk animation)
Death Time: 1.70
Death Time (Alternate): 1.00

- Height of the alternate is better set to around 200, but it is adaptable
- Set it to a mechanical unit so it won't decay twice

Attachments

• Clockwork Horror.mdx
    139.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Level 26
Eh, alright, my participation has been withdrawn for the sake of fairness. :I
It's still available in the resource section for those who wish to download it.

Anyhow, the countdown continues. 5 hours left, people.

Maybe the next contest could be a paired contest? I really enjoyed participating in this one. ;P
Oh and HappyCockroach, it's about skill, not will. I would never make it in time if I tried.

I got multiple detailed models frozen in a WIP stage because I can't get animations working as I'd like and I've worked months trying to animate just one. The Goblin Tradeprince Mech.

Level 48
As far as I know, there has never been a contest where teamwork was allowed and it was not explicitly stated. As much as it pains me, I'm afraid this really shouldn't be allowed. It just feels wrong to me.
However, we barely have any entries, so it would probably be best to keep MiniMage's entry... Maybe the judges can decide. Or perhaps he should get less points for animation because he didn't make them himself, I don't know.

Level 20
Uhm... Too many unexpected-things happened :xxd:

@HappyCockroach, your model is pretty cool tho it misses 1 animation (i think?) and when he lands on the ground in morph alternate animation, his wings fly forward which alittle bit weird (for me xD), over all, this is an unique one :D

And after reading the whole story (and looking at Minimage's model), tho saying "this is OK" is not fair for other contestant BUT since the rules dont include it and the animations of Minimage's model are not the big deal coz they're alittle bit simple (i am not saying they're not good, the model just doesnt need complex animations ;) ) so i guess it would be alittle bit un-fair for other people and the unfairness in this is very small (in my opinion :D), i think you shouldnt withdraw your entry. I like this model too ^^

After this we should avoid something like this from happening again.

paired contest sounds interesting too but... i have no assistant :xxd:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@HappyCockroach: Dang, missed those animations; they look pretty schweet so far. I love the big cog-wheels in his core. :p

Eh, alright, my participation has been withdrawn for the sake of fairness. :I
It's still available in the resource section for those who wish to download it.
[/COLOR]

Maybe the next contest could be a paired contest? I really enjoyed participating in this one. ;P

Wait, so I shouldn't withdraw the entry? I'm getting confused.

Seriously, should I set up a poll or something? Because I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. First I hear I should withdraw. So I do, then I am told I shouldn't. XD[/COLOR]
It's not a matter of 'confusion' or 'mixed messages'. Honestly, we are all your peers & equals in this contest (if not subordinates), so listening to any one of us is bound to mess things up; this sort of judgement should require not the milling voice of the masses, but a symbol of authority.

i.e. Just get Ralle or something to come down & make a judgement call; no big deal. But anyway, let it be clear that there are no hard feelings here about this. : )

@Kyrbi0 and @icewolf: thanks for the kind comments. which is the animation missing? i have a couple of hours left :p (i think you mean the morph back to alternate. that one isnt there because once it loses its wings it doesnt get them back. i can make it, though. and you should consider there's the height transition in-game, that may be why it looks weird)

Make sure to avoid the teamwork in future contests though, it really isn't fair to the other people (I suck at animations lol) who make their whole model on their own.
blasphemy. few people give war machine walk anims that are physically fluid as yours is. dont underestimate your work :)

@MiniMage: in my humble opinion, you should participate, because i dont want any potential entry out of the contest. but it feel bad if you won, or took the runner up, or third place off of someone who didn't break the rules. so i think you should participate with a heavy penalty in the animation judgement score (might even put it 0/10 as harsh as it seems. but you still will be able to win something if your model stands out on the rest and at the poll...)

edit: your post came out while i was writing mine

btw:
Also, 18 minutes left until the contest is over.

Hive Workshop said: