• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Freddyk said:
Anyway, here is another WIP, with goblins now:
135274d1400272575-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-wip_03.jpg

I think the mesh is now mostly complete.
Hey, lookin' cool. Minimage must be jealous. :p I like that little 'gear-minigun-seat' that the Goblin in front is using, especially.

Hey, cool! Haven't seen anything from you in a while, so I look forward to your entry. So far it looks interesting (though something about it seems a tiny bit 'un-Warcraft-ish'... I'm being very vague, so I'm probably wrong, but just my thoughts... :p), and I can't wait to see what the Arms are.

they (the weapons) aren't meant to be detailed, ... to make them bigger isn't just not necessary, them being small is crucial to burrow being able to work where the arms subtract inside the head.
Oh, sorry, I thought it was a gun. It's not really a big deal to me whether they are guns or tazers or drills or whatever. :p
That being said, I think you may have missed my point; I don't think they should become more detailed (because as you pointed out, this is a simple-type model (unit or summon; not a Hero or building with tons of polies & SFX & animations); just more "Warcraft-y", which in this case would mean "bigger and more exaggerated. It's hard to explain, but the Wc3-style lives off of massive pauldrons & overly-large weapons & super-huge SFX & giant flowy capes & huge meaty hands, etc... It's just sort of a part of the whole "silly over-the-top fantasy feel". If you're making something that could fit in Wc3 (especially the crazy Goblins :p), that's something to consider.

On that note, I understand you keeping them small for the sake of realism... But again, 'realism' is often thrown out the window when it comes to Wc3 modeling. A lot of the coolest stuff Blizzard (& our own Wc3-modding guys) have made has been intentionally un-real, and over-the-top.

kellym0 said:
and if people keeping telling me its not steam punk, then you haven't played dishonored. dishonored is pure steam punk, but everything's powered by whale oil burning to make electricity. MiniMage told me about this contest, and I asked him if a star wars buzz droid, red alert 3 terror drone, sc2 terran widow mine combination made wc3 goblin with a bit of mix from tim burtons ''Nine'' would be good for this contest and he said it'd be great. ''steam punk'' doesn't HAVE to have a chimney with coal and water with a furnace running, its a style of machinery and art, powered by many means, whether its whale oil, electricity, coal, oil, steam, magic what ever, if you guys are too rigid about ''steam punk'' requiring STEAM to power every models locomotion here your not going to get the diversity to make this interesting, steam punk is a way of describing machinery and machinery's looks..... like how wc3 goblins models are often steam punk. il be adding small exhaust pipes later to the back of his head that also subtract into his head for burrow to work, just give me a chance guys sheesh! its not even half done!. and this is my first contest ever so.
''i think it's hard to give a clear definition of this word...''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

bascialy its everything lol
Kellym0,
I definitely agree with you, in this thread i've seen too much comments very narrow-minded about what steampunk should be or should not be... I think all models presented there have something related to steampunk, i think it's hard to give a clear definition of this word...
Hey, we're not trying to bash a first-contest-goer-guy. We're here to help. : )

At the root of this issue, I believe, stands the fact that one word can mean a lot of different things to different people; in order to host a contest like this where a Theme is voted upon, decided upon, and then made the "standard" for a contest, the Theme should be explained in clear terms that make the outcome plain, leaving no uncertainty.

I am not sure this was done sufficiently for "Steampunk". It appears Minimage and others have one idea of "Steampunk", and many others share a different idea.

If I may submit, I believe their suggestions to you are merely trying to avoid everyone making models that are too "generically Mechanical"; i.e. if your model could fit just as easily in a "Make a Mechanical Unit - Modeling Contest", then that's the issue they see. To some, "Steampunk" is a valid & significantly-different style of "mechanicks"; one that does indeed run (pretty much) solely on Steam Power (so boilers & furnaces & turbines & chimneys & steam/smoke & such), and often has a strong 'Victorian-era' aesthetic (hard to describe, so I'd suggest looking it up; H.G. Wells, big flowy dresses, monocles, top hats, 'how technology would look if designed by 17th century English-men); a lot of the mechanical marvels of the "Leviathan" trilogy by Scott Westerfeld are a great example of the Steampunk genre.

Anyway, big-wall-of-text aside, I think that maybe the issue some are having with some of the entries so far in this contest. It's nothing personal; but it's an issue that I wish was resolved before people started; that is, a strict & clear definition of terms (in the Theme).

(On a sidenote, I think big spinning gears will definitely go a long way towards making your neat Terror/Goblin/Death Drone-thing both more 'Goblin-y' and more 'Steampunk-y'. :p)

Level 26
Icewolf055,
reminds me something, lol.

Kellym0,
I definitely agree with you, in this thread i've seen too much comments very narrow-minded about what steampunk should be or should not be... I think all models presented there have something related to steampunk, i think it's hard to give a clear definition of this word...

Anyway, here is another WIP, with goblins now:
135274d1400272575-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-wip_03.jpg

I think the mesh is now mostly complete.

Kellym0,
Seeing your model seems to be such a sophisticated thing, maybe it would be a good idea to show some internal machinery (like what can be seen in expensive watches), since steampunk often rely on showing complex mechanisms. What do you think?

Fucking sweet dude. Whoo for goblins. Seriously, I will be using that model when you are done with it. I tried making hoverships multiple times before, but I just never got happy with it. Your model however, is lovely. ;D

Level 20
Hey, lookin' cool. Minimage must be jealous. :p I like that little 'gear-minigun-seat' that the Goblin in front is using, especially.

Hey, cool! Haven't seen anything from you in a while, so I look forward to your entry. So far it looks interesting (though something about it seems a tiny bit 'un-Warcraft-ish'... I'm being very vague, so I'm probably wrong, but just my thoughts... :p), and I can't wait to see what the Arms are.

Oh, sorry, I thought it was a gun. It's not really a big deal to me whether they are guns or tazers or drills or whatever. :p
That being said, I think you may have missed my point; I don't think they should become more detailed (because as you pointed out, this is a simple-type model (unit or summon; not a Hero or building with tons of polies & SFX & animations); just more "Warcraft-y", which in this case would mean "bigger and more exaggerated. It's hard to explain, but the Wc3-style lives off of massive pauldrons & overly-large weapons & super-huge SFX & giant flowy capes & huge meaty hands, etc... It's just sort of a part of the whole "silly over-the-top fantasy feel". If you're making something that could fit in Wc3 (especially the crazy Goblins :p), that's something to consider.

On that note, I understand you keeping them small for the sake of realism... But again, 'realism' is often thrown out the window when it comes to Wc3 modeling. A lot of the coolest stuff Blizzard (& our own Wc3-modding guys) have made has been intentionally un-real, and over-the-top.

Hey, we're not trying to bash a first-contest-goer-guy. We're here to help. : )

At the root of this issue, I believe, stands the fact that one word can mean a lot of different things to different people; in order to host a contest like this where a Theme is voted upon, decided upon, and then made the "standard" for a contest, the Theme should be explained in clear terms that make the outcome plain, leaving no uncertainty.

I am not sure this was done sufficiently for "Steampunk". It appears Minimage and others have one idea of "Steampunk", and many others share a different idea.

If I may submit, I believe their suggestions to you are merely trying to avoid everyone making models that are too "generically Mechanical"; i.e. if your model could fit just as easily in a "Make a Mechanical Unit - Modeling Contest", then that's the issue they see. To some, "Steampunk" is a valid & significantly-different style of "mechanicks"; one that does indeed run (pretty much) solely on Steam Power (so boilers & furnaces & turbines & chimneys & steam/smoke & such), and often has a strong 'Victorian-era' aesthetic (hard to describe, so I'd suggest looking it up; H.G. Wells, big flowy dresses, monocles, top hats, 'how technology would look if designed by 17th century English-men); a lot of the mechanical marvels of the "Leviathan" trilogy by Scott Westerfeld are a great example of the Steampunk genre.

Anyway, big-wall-of-text aside, I think that maybe the issue some are having with some of the entries so far in this contest. It's nothing personal; but it's an issue that I wish was resolved before people started; that is, a strict & clear definition of terms (in the Theme).

(On a sidenote, I think big spinning gears will definitely go a long way towards making your neat Terror/Goblin/Death Drone-thing both more 'Goblin-y' and more 'Steampunk-y'. :p)

So nuclear reactors work just as fine as long as steampowered? :D
Except, of course, Thorium-based ones. Let's just talk about nuclear-powered steam stuffs.

''On that note, I understand you keeping them small for the sake of realism...''

like I Said, the hands and blade needed to stay small so they can slurp inside their arms hatches so the arms can be inside him during burrow. but ok I get most of you're point.

il work on making the drone feel less star wars ish and more bioshock ish

Level 24
Since I can't use the Helix
I'll go with this, the thing I've been working for yesterday
----------------------------------------
MAX Tanki = Mark Avenger X Tanki

Attachments

• MR. Tanki - 0.jpg
    MR. Tanki - 0.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 104
  • MR. Tanki - 1.jpg
    MR. Tanki - 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 166
  • MR. Tanki - 2.jpg
    MR. Tanki - 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 99
  • MR. Tanki - 3.jpg
    MR. Tanki - 3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 189

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You could combine both by animating the scale of the bone (weapons smaller to get inside, bigger when out to be more visible/warcrafty)
Hey, now that's an excellent idea; decent compromise.

Wip Here, Wip There...

attachment.php
Y'know, I really like the proportions on that thing. Just nice and zany.

Level 26
Yes. Kyrbi0 is lends his greatest apologies, masters. :<

~~~

HappyCockroach! Definitely merrier with you. Now all we need is Tarrasque jigrael, Callahan, Misha, aaaaaand a few others.

I'm pretty sure that Misha will end up as one of the judges. So he can't enter the contest.
I actually should find me two other viable candidates to be judges tho. ;I

uu.. I'm starting to like this bulky round mech
I'm pretty sure that Misha will end up as one of the judges. So he can't enter the contest.
I actually should find me two other viable candidates to be judges tho. ;I
this makes me wonder, why haven't you put me as one yet?

Level 20
Hm.. bout the flags, i was about to give him an orc flag (like the one that Blademaster uses) but i want that the users can use this model in any races they want so a random flag would do so i chose that texture, then i realized there're 2 flag-textures in there, so yeah, why didnt i make 2 flags for him, and boom. Thats what happened in my mind lol. :xxd:

Level 49
@icewolf055 - man that's so sexy. diggin' those gears.

anyways, about my entry, animations and rigging are done. only need to do some sfx and sounds.
anyone here who knows how to make .gif's in model editor? i kinda want to post some of the animations.

Level 22
Final

Here it is, the Goblin Hovercraft!

Not very polished, but unfortunately i will not have the time to work further on it before the deadline. It works though, so i guess it will be my final entry for the contest. Maybe i'll try to improve it a bit afterwards, before submitting it as a resource.

With the current anims it's a naval unit only. I tried amphibian, but i have a problem with shallow water: the unit sits on the ground (below water level) instead of floating. Does anyone know if it's possible to fix that?

Attachments

• Hovercraft.mdx
    119.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 866
Status
Not open for further replies.