• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So the theme was decided already?
Not really. However,

TriggerHappy said:
Can we get someone to write the description for Aura in relation to the contest (to include in original post)?
Sure, I'll try my hand at it:

~Aura~

As your Champion enters the field of battle, you feel a surge of vigor; the very presence of your people's Hero swells the heart and lends encouragement! Intangibly, the Aura of this individual affects all who witness it.

Your task for this Zephyr Contest is to create a spell that primarily revolves around an Aura, here defined as a "Persistent effect upon nearby targets, which passively grants boon or bane, it being centered on the Hero". That would include:
  • Increasing/Decreasing Stats (i.e. Devotion (+armor), Endurance (+MS/+AS), Brilliance (+Mana Regen), etc)
  • Providing an extra (generally Passive) "Ability" to affected units (i.e. Thorns (gives Damage Reflection (ala Spiked Carapace)), or Vampiric (gives Lifesteal), etc)
  • Every X seconds have Y Effect occur (NO INGAME EXAMPLE; DOES THIS WORK?)
  • ANYTHING ELSE I MISSED?

This "Aura", however, may be utilized/brought about in a variety of ways, at the discretion of the user:
  • Always-On (i.e. most normal Auras)
  • Activated (Toggle) (i.e. Immolation (Damage-Over-Time Aura))
  • Activated (Temporary (i.e. Big Bad Voodoo (Invulnerability Aura)), or Starfall (Direct-Damage Aura))
  • I THINK THAT'S ALL?

Good luck!

Thoughts? Threw this together with help from Tank-Commander and Adikutz. Just a rough draft (especially the CAPSLOCK parts); agree/disagree with the parameters as described? Especially the definition. And I'm not so sure about "damage-dealing" auras like Immolation & Starfall (well, OK for Immolation, since it leaves a buff?)). Hmm...

P.S. Interestingly there are no "Offensive/Combat" Auras in the entirety of the regular Wc3 line-up; all Auras provide enhancement in some way or another. Strange... I wonder what that means?

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Not really. However,

Sure, I'll try my hand at it:

~Aura~

As your Champion enters the field of battle, you feel a surge of vigor; the very presence of your people's Hero swells the heart and lends encouragement! Intangibly, the Aura of this individual affects all who witness it.

Your task for this Zephyr Contest is to create a spell that primarily revolves around an Aura, here defined as a "Persistent effect upon nearby targets, which passively grants boon or bane, it being centered on the Hero". That would include:
  • Increasing/Decreasing Stats (i.e. Devotion (+armor), Endurance (+MS/+AS), Brilliance (+Mana Regen), etc)
  • Providing an extra (generally Passive) "Ability" to affected units (i.e. Thorns (gives Damage Reflection (ala Spiked Carapace)), or Vampiric (gives Lifesteal), etc)
  • Every X seconds have Y Effect occur (NO INGAME EXAMPLE; DOES THIS WORK?)
  • ANYTHING ELSE I MISSED?

This "Aura", however, may be utilized/brought about in a variety of ways, at the discretion of the user:
  • Always-On (i.e. most normal Auras)
  • Activated (Toggle) (i.e. Immolation (Damage-Over-Time Aura))
  • Activated (Temporary (i.e. Big Bad Voodoo (Invulnerability Aura)), or Starfall (Direct-Damage Aura))
  • I THINK THAT'S ALL?

Good luck!

Thoughts? Threw this together with help from Tank-Commander and Adikutz. Just a rough draft (especially the CAPSLOCK parts); agree/disagree with the parameters as described? Especially the definition. And I'm not so sure about "damage-dealing" auras like Immolation & Starfall (well, OK for Immolation, since it leaves a buff?)). Hmm...

I like everything. I prefer a more generalized description than an overly specific one. There are a finite number of passive abilities one can make following the style of warcraft.

P.S. Interestingly there are no "Offensive/Combat" Auras in the entirety of the regular Wc3 line-up; all Auras provide enhancement in some way or another. Strange... I wonder what that means?

It means blizzard is either lazy or did not think of any. It has nothing to do with balance. Edit: Actually, wouldn't Kodo War Drums be classified as offensive/combat?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I like everything. I prefer a more generalized description than an overly specific one. There are a finite number of passive abilities one can make following the style of warcraft.
I too prefer a generalized description, though it must be the average; too focused and you have (well, to be honest) the issue with a lot of our previous Zephyr Contests; waaaaay too focused ("Demonic"? "Assassination"? "Portal"?). Too general, and you have people making pretty much any spell. I hope this achieves the proper level of generalization (if anything, parts of it might be a tad too general, but I wanted to avoid the inevitably-boring results of a "regular Passive Auras" contest (really not a lot that can be done with that that hasn't already, IMO).

Cokemonkey said:
It means blizzard is either lazy or did not think of any. It has nothing to do with balance. Edit: Actually, wouldn't Kodo War Drums be classified as offensive/combat?
I don't know about that. I am fairly certain that Blizzard put oodles of thought into nearly every game decision (though I'd love to find some design documents that prove me right/wrong). I'm just not sure whether it was intentional or negligence, to start with.

And no. While the Kodo War Drums (& Command Aura) both enhance Attack Power (Damage), so does Trueshot... Thing is, it helps in combat, but it's not a purely "offensive" aura. By "offensive" I mean "lowering enemies stats" (rather than "enhancing friendly stats"). There are no in-game "negative Devotion" or "negative Command" auras, for example (plenty in custom mods, but none in Wc3).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, why not just everything that's been suggested so far? I've heard Aura, Mechanical, Seduction, Blood Magic, etc etc... Make it a multi-vote poll if there are enough options.

//EDIT// And leave an option for "Other: Please Describe", so people can insert their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.