• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Reldwood Horror v1.5

Reactions: GamerGirl19

The Reldwood Horror

Introduction:
The Reldwood Horror is a classic zombie survival horror map inspired by the game Dead Nation. It is a story driven map with a lot of zombies to slaughter along the way.

Reldwood City suffered a fate worse than destruction. Namely that the citizens turned into brainless marauders with a big appetite for human flesh. No one knew how or why but the whole city was lain to waste in mere days. Only a small band of individuals survived in what they called the Safezone.
Food and water was running low so something had to be done if they didn't want to end up in the low end of the food chain.

You take control of the highly negative protagonist and re-live the story of him and the rest of the Reldwood City survivors.
You decide how the events unfolds and how it will ultimately end.
The story is told in past tense.

There are two possible ways for the game to end. A good and a bad. Be warned though. The good ending requires you to be both lucky and thorough.

Please rate and comment. I need the feedback.

How to play the map:

You start out in the Safezone where you are safe for the time being. You have a small amount of food and you need to watch this carefully as you go on. While in the Safezone you don't have to eat. But as soon as you leave, your food count will start to diminish. Every 60 second you will lose 1 food.

Scrap Metal is used to assemble equipment. Fx. if you find an Empty Flashlight and a Battery you can go to an Anvil and assemble it into a working Flashlight for a small Scrap Metal fee.
You need to find Blueprints to figure out how to fix or create equipment.

At the start you have 5 stat points you can distribute between Strength, Accuracy and Stamina.
Strength determines how large an armor you can wear.
Accuracy determines how accurate you are and therefore gives extra damage.
Stamina determines how sustainable you are and gives extra stamina.

Every time you find a Blueprint or a Note it will be copied to the Notes section. This way you don't have to keep them on you, and you can always check the Notes if you forget what a specific note said or what items were needed to assemble an utility piece.

You have two backpacks in which you can store items you find along the way. Simply click the Backpack ability, throw in your items, and click the ability again to dismiss the Backpacks. You also have a stash in the Safezone where you can store items you don't need on you way.

The Backpack also has the nifty feature that you can swap your current weapon with a weapon in the Backpack. This way you can quickly change what weapon you want to use in a current situation (Be aware that you have to place your secondary weapon in the sand-colored bag for this to work, and the backpacks must be dismissed).

The last ability you have is Sprint. When used you run at high pace for a short amount of time. This is probably the ability you will use the most. It is truly a lifesaver.

You will encounter huge amounts of enemies all ready to kill you if they get the chance. Save your utility till you really get in trouble or you will find yourself in a tight spot when the braindead really comes at you!

Tip: If you hate the default camera distance you can type -camera to zoom out. This is especially neat when utilizing the Sniper Rifle.

Features:

-In depth storyline.
-A whole city to explore with realistic settings.
-Heavy use of The Hive models.
-A note system that keeps track of writings you find so you always can read them again.
-Able to enter houses.
-Secret areas and equipment.
-4 difficulties.
-Supports up to 4 players.
-Several kinds of enemies to encounter.
-Multiple weapons like the Hunting Rifle, Shotgun and Assault Rifle.
-Find Blueprints so you can upgrade or assemble equipment.
-Assemble equipment using items you find around the city.
-An easy-to-use backpack system.
-Weapon swap between current weapon and a secondary weapon in the backpack.
-Several utility equipment like Grenades, Mines and Flares.
-Several armors.
-Tweak your equipment to your needs.

Bestiary:

-Zombie: The standard slow walking undead
-Runner: A fast and vicious stalker. If you see one, expect more
-Bomber: These zombie are so rotten and filled with gas that, when killed, causes them to explode. Stay clear
-Diseased: Also rotten to the core and therefore a sticking cloud surrounds them. When killed the disease spread to nearby comrades
-Humongous: These fellas are big, really big. They take a lot of damage and strike a mean punch. If you see one, then stay at range... really
-Frenzies: This version have poor sight and have difficulty spotting you. However when damaged they run like the devil was after them

Multiplayer:
If, or when, you want to play the map with friends there are a couple of things you should know.

-When the game begins only player 1 is able to act. When he has picked a difficulty and the initial monologue fades the rest of the players will be able to act.
-Due to the nature of the map (a storyline) only player 1, the Protagonist, can trigger story based content. This include picking up the next part of the main quest, handing in quest items, trigger story events and more.

Suggested difficulty depending on player amount:
2: Disease - Epidemic
3: Epidemic - Pandemic
4: Pandemic - Apocalypse

Do not try to complete the map on any difficulty higher than Epidemic in singleplayer.

Author's Notes:

This is the first map idea I have had that has actually been completed.
I must say I am very proud of it. I have had a lot of fun creating it, especially the whole city theme. Triggers are always frustrating to me but in the end I carved through. I think the map is fun and especially challenging, even on the easiest difficulty.

The map offers little to no hits. This is on purpose as I my self like challenging games where you need to use your head as well as explore.

Save often...

Screen Shots:

202017-albums5846-picture61856.png

202017-albums5846-picture61857.png

202017-albums5846-picture61858.png

202017-albums5846-picture61859.png

202017-albums5846-picture61860.png

Multiboard and inventory pre v1.4
202017-albums5846-picture69708.png

Multiboard and inventory v1.4
202017-albums5846-picture69709.png

Trailer:

So I wanted to make a trailer for the fun of it. I quickly downloaded some video editing software and fizzled around with it for about an hour. That's also the reason for the watermarks present and the low resolution. Well, here is the result.

Change Log:

Version 1.1
-The Sniper Rifle's Snipe ability now works as intended
-Due to a strange bug with the random item tables the following items were not able to drop at all: Lens, Pistol Handle, Handle Attachment and Studded Body Armor. This has been fixed. The Lens is still NOT obtainable though.
-Several triggers have been optimized.
-Hank the Tank will now jump into the tank after 20 seconds instead of when the player leaves the zone.

Version 1.2
-The map should now be able to be played in multiplayer.

Version 1.2.1
-Minor changes made to the tank quest. The quest should be working as intended now.

Version 1.3
Abilities:
-Sprint: Has been standardized to cost 25 energy no matter what armor is carried.

Misc:
-Blueprints and notes now appear in the "Notes Log" in a much smoother way than before. They are now easy to locate since they have fixed places.
-The "Location" multiboard is now updated to multiplayer. It will show the location of each player.
-Movement speed is increased to 300 up from 250 but will now suffer from carrying heavier armor.
-Several triggers have been optimized.
-Each player starts with 15 Can Food up from 10.
-Many of the zombie types has had their Range Motion Buffer reduced from 250 to 100.

Version 1.3.1
-Hotfix: Blueprints and notes would not show propperly in the Notes Log. They will now.

Version 1.4
Abilities:
-Sprint, Backpack and Weapon Swap has been moved to an Utility panel. In this panel you can also operate all existing utilities such as Frag Grenade and Med-Kit. In this way you can use hotkeys to use your utility items instead of clicking them in the inventory.

Items:
-All utility items (Frag Grenade, Med-Kit etc) has been changed to power-ups. This means you no longer hold them in your inventory. This is to save space for other items and make it easier to utilize them.
-Utility items is now shown in the multiboard. (See Screen Shot section)
-Item's sell, acquire, give and drop range has been changed to standard values.
-"Survivor's Log" and "Eye Witness" will now show all of the text in the Notes Log.
-"Eye Witness" now updates correctly when acquired.

Misc:
-Several icons and tools tips has been corrected.
-Most neutral buildings cannot be highlighted anymore.

Version 1.5
Items:
-Quest items can now be handed in from the backpacks. No need to have the items in the character's inventory.
-Several typos has been corrected.
-Armor descriptions now clearly explains the effect of wearing them.
-A small amount of crates containing Can Food has been added throughout the city.
-The amount of Can Food found in crates has been increased to 5 up from 3.

Bugs:
-The tank quest has been changed and optimized, and now finally works as intended after extensive testing by Burndead!
-The endings have been optimized and works as intended (thanks again Burndead).
-A major issue with the "Assault Rifle 7.62" has been corrected.

Misc:
-Added the command line -clear to clear the chat.
-Additional triggers have been optimized.
-AntiCheat has been introduced. The cheats: iseedeadpeople, whosyourdaddy and thereisnospoon will either cause you to lose or simply not work.
-RED_BARON and Burndead are now also credited in-game.

Lastly I hope you enjoy my map, and please! summit suggestions or bug reports.

Every model used is credited in the questlog. And now HERE! :)

Credits:
Huinipachutli, HappyTauren, General Frank / zombie2279, AlienArsonist, General Frank / Tomura / zombie2279Zombie, oh_snap, KelThuzad, IamtheRper, Riley, CRAZYRUSSIAN, kola, Chriz, Kofi_Banan, Kitabatake, Carrington2k, Red Shift, Illidan(Evil)X, Deolrin / Ike_Ike, Zap, Uncle Fester, HappyTauren / Gallin, Fingolfin, Pyramidhe@d, Sallenisko / MasterDragons, EviL_BuddhA, shamanyouranus, epsilon, AlienAtSystem, Yayoi, chilla_killa, Deolrin, Mr. Bob, hellblazer-14, geries, anarchianbedlam, Dark Hunter1357, horusrogue, The_Silent, ana, M0rbid, 67chrome, RED_BARON, Burndead

Feedback is appreciated
Please rate and comment

Keywords:
Zombie, undead, horror, survival, survive, story, Reldwood, City, Reldwood City, The Reldwood Horror, OnlyAddicted, escape, action, protagonist, Solu9
Contents

The Reldwood Horror v1.5 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Oct/31 13:31:34 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Reasons: Credits to be posted in-game + in the Hive Description. [Optional] Missing Custom Preview Image: To add a preview image, resize the image...
Level 30
Full Review emerges.

I have played your map, Reldwood Horror and I must say it's good. Terrain is good for a zombie apocalypse type of map. Terrain's is detailed but I would also suggest adding some blood in the terrain and some dead bodies to make it much better. Fogs and Weather could also work.

The map's story is quite similar to some Zombie Apocalypse map but It's still unknown to me how it'll go since it's easy to get lost in your game sadly. The interacton between units does not prove to be much help on finishing task. I have explored most opened areas since the others are still restricted due to the story the game's following but it is really hard to advance. To not make this long, I would suggest adding some more infos behind interaction on what to do, what to gather and such.

There are some little grammar mistakes like you misspelled whether to weather. I saw some more but can't seem to remember. It would be best for you to hunt them down. But overall, the grammar seems good.

I did liked that Food did not only served as to measure your hunger rate but also as a currency to buy stuffs. It makes the game much more challenging and makes the players think if they are to buy or save it for venturing out in the dangerous land.

The different kind of Zombies did made the game much more interesting due to the fact they hold different kinds of abilities. It makes the game much more challenging indeed.

The Minimap Image and Loading screen fits and is great.

Overall, this map is good but if you would only make it easier to advance through that would be great since interacting with units for a task does not seem to give enough informations on what to do but leaves you guessing or critically thinking for it and it's what most players do not want.

Changed rating to 3/5.

Thanks for the review Hell_Master!
I appreciate it.

Your critique has been noted, and I agree. Most interactions with the NPCs only give hints to where you need to venture, and that can be improved.

I do not want to make the map too easy though, so I'll have to find a way to balance it.

Thanks again for the review :)

Edit:
Btw. All further reviews are welcome. So if anyone has an itching for such then go ahead and post.

Last edited: