• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
I think I'll withdraw my participation in this contest. My model concept was a tad flawed and conceptual.
The poly count and size of the model is just getting larger to fix my concept and it's not turning out very well.

Since not many days are left of the contest and starting anew with this tiny amount of time left will not result in a good result.
Still, why not have a contest about making WC3 Buildings next btw? We have so many units, heroes and doodads but not much buildings.

Level 16
We have so many units, heroes and doodads but not much buildings.
Actually, I'd be even more awesome if you were to make a specific 'set' of buildings for each race, considering that buildings take less time to animate and make(No, I don't know for sure, correct me if I'm wrong), but I like your idea and maybe you should suggest it for the next model contest!.
Sorry for off-topic-ness.

Level 25
I can't check my account this weeks because of internet connection problems and I only have my chance now so I'll show you my wip on the sea king (sea giant)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 307

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
*NOTICE* - Due to the lack of uproar over Frankster being chosen as Judge #2 of this contest in the last several pages, I have gone ahead and placed him as such (since he appeared to be OK with it, sans complaint :p).

Freddyk said:
Hello,

I discovered this contest only recently, and i find it very inspiring!
So i have created an account especially for it.

I would like to enter with an "Infernal Cannon" hero.
Here's a 1st WIP:
Wow, I'm honored you come out of Lurking for this contest. Moreover, I'm pleased with your entry; no one has quite done a Mechanical unit-base yet. (at least until Astaroth Zion comes through with his Meat Wagon-hero :p). Lookin' real good; captures that Transformers-vibe like they said. Keep it up!

Jigrael said:
Another wip, almost done with the texture.
Beaautiful. Man, so smooth and cool... Personally, I'd love to see a bit more armor (esp. around the 'chest-al' region), just to give her a bit more... 'presence', I guess? Even just a few more strings of necklace-stuff (aka the aliens from Avatar).

MiniMage said:
I think I'll withdraw my participation in this contest. My model concept was a tad flawed and conceptual.
The poly count and size of the model is just getting larger to fix my concept and it's not turning out very well.

Since not many days are left of the contest and starting anew with this tiny amount of time left will not result in a good result.
Still, why not have a contest about making WC3 Buildings next btw? We have so many units, heroes and doodads but not much buildings.
Oh come now, you had something great going for you. Even if you just enter with what you had last, I'm sure the judges will give you some good feedback on how to improve. : ) But look at peeps like Freddyk; you can totally do something good in a week. :p

On a side note, I do agree about the Buildings; I'd love to see people making a mini-set of buildings for a particular race, because one of my biggest issues in making custom stuff is the lack of custom buildings (and re-using Build-less neutral buildings & doodads gets old). Great idea for another contest (though we already have 1-2 ideas in back-log).

Chen Stormstout said:
I know, this is my last concept (not final submission!).
Umm, yeah, it's cool to have a lot of ideas, but as the deadline draws nearer, I'd suggest sticking with one.

That being said, I don't know why you abandoned that Furbolg/Owlbear-thingie... It was an excellent start & a submission we don't have so far. Please re-consider (or at least mod the heck out of that Mountain Giant).

BlinkBoy said:
That's as far as I read, man you can't convince anyone with saying he's out of his senses for staters. I'm sorry, but I don't think I have insulted you and if I have I'm deeply sorry, but that's a no way to go for me.
True dat (though I don't think he was being too serious).

BlinkBoy said:
Well it wasn't until now that I realised it's not very specific, but all I've said falls under the criteria. Sadly it's very open. It's qualitative, not quantitive and therefore leaves a lot of space open that must be filled by oneself. That's why I clarify things.
Unfortunately you're right; I'd love for more "quantitative" criteria. However, this is ultimately an artistic endeavor, and when it comes to art, it's almost entirely subjective (qualitative) rather than objective (quantitative).

However, like I said, if you feel the Criteria fall short in some way, please speak up now with specific (wording) suggestions. I'm open to correcting it, as long as others agree & it's not too onerous.

BlinkBoy said:
That's why you get many judges. Some judge things tougher than others. The criteria says what's judged but not how it affects you. Perhaps it should be considered for the next contest to write a table of credits lost. Back before, each judge made his own table of loss credits, not sure how it is now.
Well, while I'm loath to force judges to judge in a certain way, I don't mind having a standard... However, what do you mean, "table of loss credits"?

BlinkBoy said:
All I'm doing is pointing out the main mistakes model editers make. All within the criteria, sadly the criteria should be more specific. That's why we normaly get more than one judge.
If by "within the criteria" you mean "allowed by the criteria without punishment", then I would disagree. The way I wrote the Criteria includes the idea of "smoothness", "inconsistencies", and the like; thus all the things you mentioned (rather newbish mistakes in geomerging, at that) would indeed be penalized (though the degree to which they would be penalized lies in the jurisdiction of the Judge themselves).

Mesh almost done.
I have to work on anims now... i hate that part...
looks lovely. maybe you can find a way to merge voidwalker anims with the infernal contraption base.. or firelord, water elemental, any leg-less creature with heavy arms

-supa and jigrael, splendid work so far.

i just redid some parts of the mesh on mine and redid the wrap, so the texture will be redone as well, and considering i have a serious load of work to do, they might get on the way. i hope i can finish.

what's new is overall optmiziation, a staff and some jewerly pieces. it's missing some accessories that will be made of billboarded planes

Attachments

• wip3.png
    wip3.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 397
Level 26
Oh come now, you had something great going for you. Even if you just enter with what you had last, I'm sure the judges will give you some good feedback on how to improve. : ) But look at peeps like Freddyk; you can totally do something good in a week. :p

On a side note, I do agree about the Buildings; I'd love to see people making a mini-set of buildings for a particular race, because one of my biggest issues in making custom stuff is the lack of custom buildings (and re-using Build-less neutral buildings & doodads gets old). Great idea for another contest (though we already have 1-2 ideas in back-log).

Well, that's just it though. Life will be picking up again because my glorious off time from it has come to an end. As such, my regular schedule will switch back to waking up at about 06:00~ or possibly an hour earlier, so that I can take the appropriate number of buses and trains to get to my destination, where I will be extremely preoccupied until I then take the same amount to get home, arriving home late and exhausted. At that point I have three hours left. One hour is spent making food for the next day, another one is spent studying. The final hour is spent watching some TV show just to relax, then I pass out and wake up early the next day and so it continues.

So yeah, I don't really have time.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Life of a college boy :p with many public transports! I definitely get you. Same thing for me starting next week. This time the schedule is in the afternoon. While it has the advantage that I won't have to wake up early morning, it has the disadvantage of having the mid day occupied and catching those public transports always at the times when they have the most people. It's going to be horrible!

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Lovin' that mesh, PROXY.

I won't be doing any more work on my submission on account of serious computer problems. Pending hard drive failure and all that. I've got everything backed up but all my 3D and 2D art programs are deactivated until I can get it all sorted out. So rawr :<

Level 16
I was too lazy to do something in the last 2 weeks but i menaged to pas my exams and have some work hmm 4 days is still much maybe i can make it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
There is no issue with two people picking the same base. At least not in the Official Rules; personally, I'd love to see some of the lesser-known or lesser-used Units being picked as bases, but that's just me. Nothing in the rules prohibits it.

Freddyk said:
Mesh almost done.
I have to work on anims now... i hate that part.
Man, I don't know what it is, but I like it. :p Those wheels are cool, and the big flaming fingers are a nice touch.

HappyCockroach said:
i just redid some parts of the mesh on mine and redid the wrap, so the texture will be redone as well, and considering i have a serious load of work to do, they might get on the way. i hope i can finish.

what's new is overall optmiziation, a staff and some jewerly pieces. it's missing some accessories that will be made of billboarded planes
Coming along quite nicely. I look forward to seeing this "flying hero".

MiniMage said:
So yeah, I don't really have time.
Oh believe me, I understand "lacking in time". Two part-time jobs, full-time school, church & family responsibilities... Definitely takes it out of a guy. Can't blame me for trying to be inspirational/motivational, though. ;P

PvT.Toma said:
My 2nd WIP

~

...but yesterday when I'm playing Awesomenauts...
Welcome! Latecomer you may be, but that's no problem; we greatly anticipate your take on the Infernal Cannon! (If you change your mind, let me know. Plenty of ideas to go around.)

You play Awesomenauts, too? I just got Steam recently, and found that game for free... Seemed kinda fun, like a side-scroller DotA.

Chen Stormstou said:
So, two people can work on the same base? Would anyone answer this because..................... the deadline is near, I will post my final submission tomorrow, I still dont have an Idea and I want some of the other ideas aaaannnndd............

~

Here is a hero gryphon rider. This is my last WIP and idea because I need a model that needs less time.
See above.

Ok, fine....

How about a Troll Medicine Mon/Headshrinker (Witch Doctor -> wizened troll with bubbling cauldron, shrunken heads, tons of potions, nasty beard and ancient visage. wields a variety of wicked concoctions and vile brews aimed at making enemies quite uncomfortable... as in dead. And then raising them as zombies with a Grim Ward))...
Or a Goblin Tradeprince ("Goblin Merchant" -> decadent Goblin royalty, posh and bedecked in jewels & furs... Or crafty Goblin merchant/baron, in a trimmed suit & fancy top hat with money-symbol cane & a bag of gold (see WoWWiki "Tradeprince"))...
Or a Pandaren Wardancer (Pandaren; Fire -> serene warrior trained in the "dance of war"; armed with twin shaktani blades and a grim message of death sung through steel and song)...
Or a Gnomish Technomage (Gyrocopter? -> crotchey and crazy old coot, mounted on a Mechanostrider (tm), brandishing a techno-magic wand and able to throw out Sentry Bots and Death Bots; Mechanize's fellow mechs into action with his Electro-staff & teleports)...
Or a Human Crusader (Knight -> stalwart warrior-champion of the faltering Human populace, astride a mighty warcharger and covered in shining plate armor... wielding the BIGGEST DANG LANCE YOU EVER DID SEE as well as a bevy of powerful "Seals", empowering friends to greater valor (see "wc3 beta Crusader" on Scrolls of Lore image galleries))...
Or a Goblin Warmech (Shredder -> powerful raging leviathan of steel and steam; crazed goblin pilot ensconced in a metallic exo-suit of techno-death-osity. Wields super vibra-blade or rocket gauntlet or repair bots or yeah)...
Or a Nerubian Pharaoh (Crypt Fiend? -> ancient Nerubian god-on-earth, decrepit half-mummified super-mage with the power over the tenuous line between life and death; obsessed with mummies, reincarnation, and being old & dusty)...
Or a Troll Bom-bat-ier (Batrider -> Fire-obsessed Troll warrior with bat-wing cape & twin tiki torches; burnt/scarred face or appendages (see Combustion Man), able to level structures and melt flesh with equal ease)...
Or a Goblin Bombardier (Sappers -> insane & destructive Goblin mercenary with a love for laughter and a penchant for pipe bombs. Armed with a lighter-shield & an array of explosives, this Goblin is your worst enemies' best friend's worst enemy... Also dangerous & highly-armed (see TF2 Demoman))...
Or a Forsaken Shadow Ascendant (Banshee? -> deeply spiritual Forsaken, so incredibly in tune with the Shadow that it has become the shadow; scion of the fathomless dark, wielding indescribable powers over night and the darkness in men's souls... (see Dark Archons))...
Or...

I will literally keep going. Might be a little late, but that's what I mean when I say "don't complain about no ideas; ASK". :p Plenty of people willing to help.

("see" means "Google it" for pictures & descriptions.)

Your models are fine, but I'd highly suggest picking one.

PROXY said:
So lets see if I can manage this
Awexome, still in the running I see. Yeah, your mesh is nice, although that leg-wrap looks a little... flat (is the word?)?. I wonder... I guess it doesn't make much sense to "buff up" a female too much.

Could she be a mounted hero?

AnemicRoyalty said:
I won't be doing any more work on my submission on account of serious computer problems. Pending hard drive failure and all that. I've got everything backed up but all my 3D and 2D art programs are deactivated until I can get it all sorted out. So rawr :<
Oh good, everything's backed up. Still, that stinks... (And just when you were getting so close...) Good luck getting it put back together.

JokeMaster said:
I was too lazy to do something in the last 2 weeks but i menaged to pas my exams and have some work hmm 4 days is still much maybe i can make it.
Totally, man! : )

Level 22
I too would have liked to see more different entries, there are so much units in W3!
But if Pvt.Toma comes with a concept totally different using the same base unit, i find it interesting too. After all, an army of mechanical demons will need several heroes! (damn, i get new units ideas now)

Anyway, my Infernal Wheeled Warrior is almost ready and i will probably post it later today.

Level 20
[FINAL] Champion of the Burning Legion, Aestus

Mine is still missing them animations though, but I suspect I would be able to finish it by today/tomorrow(it's a holiday in my time).

And thank you, Fred :D

Edit:
www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/infernal-champion-241071/

Here's my entry.

Edit 2:
Like this? The title?

Last edited:
Level 48
Alright, my entry's coming along pretty well, I think. Just the bow and quiver left to do now, and then add some touch-ups and minor details. Maybe a circlet on her head, or some kind of necklace. Thanks to Kyrbi0 for the idea with the full-bark arm. :)

Btw, Pvt. Toma, you should add the word "fin al" in your submission. Without the space, obviously. You're apparently supposed to do that, according to the rules. ^^

Attachments

• zOMgohr.png
    zOMgohr.png
    368.7 KB · Views: 312
  • bt41.png
    bt41.png
    360.6 KB · Views: 460
Level 14
Alright, my entry's coming along pretty well, I think. Just the bow and quiver left to do now, and then add some touch-ups and minor details. Maybe a circlet on her head, or some kind of necklace. Thanks to Kyrbi0 for the idea with the full-bark arm. :)

Btw, Pvt. Toma, you should add the word "fin al" in your submission. Without the space, obviously. You're apparently supposed to do that, according to the rules. ^^

You should have made the other arm barky and make it so that the arrow grows out of the bark arm(some green SFX and a scaling animation of the arrow) it would look so cool.:ogre_haosis:
Note: If you decide to do this don't forget to remove the quiver.

Level 18

good plan with the yellow leaves . mesh look good but i think u should change the hair of top head much thicker , i know u edit the head base on jaina's . now the head looks a little wired :the face and the hair on the head are out of proportion . totally it's good .:ogre_haosis:

Level 51

Place the shoulderpad on the other side, give the bow a better texture (the current one looks horrible compared to the face and all the other textures). Otherwise I like it, although it's quite sad you made an archer again, as there are enough of them for NE's IMO.

Level 48
I like it in general, but her face reminds a bit of... of...

2whe52e.jpg

She is not amused. :pnewt:

You should have made the other arm barky and make it so that the arrow grows out of the bark arm(some green SFX and a scaling animation of the arrow) it would look so cool.:ogre_haosis:
Note: If you decide to do this don't forget to remove the quiver.

Well, that's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I can pull it off. Plus, it contradicts my idea for the hero. Also, making her other arm bark would also mean making it as bulky as her left arm, thusly ruining the asymmetry, as well as clipping terribly with her cape.

good plan with the yellow leaves . mesh look good but i think u should change the hair of top head much thicker , i know u edit the head base on jaina's . now the head looks a little wired :the face and the hair on the head are out of proportion . totally it's good .:ogre_haosis:

I'm honestly not quite sure what you mean by that.
Can you please point me to which part of it you want me to change on these screenshots?

h6dp.png
uOict9G.png

Place the shoulderpad on the other side, give the bow a better texture (the current one looks horrible compared to the face and all the other textures). Otherwise I like it, although it's quite sad you made an archer again, as there are enough of them for NE's IMO.

Placing the shoulderpad on the other arm wouldn't work because it will clip with the cape, and because it would expose her barky shoulder and the ugly way in which it connects to the rest of her body:

szpcyvn.png

And as I said on the original post, the bow and quiver are not finished yet. They are still Sylvanas', and are there only for the sake of having something to compare to in terms of proportions and positioning(and also so that she wouldn't look too terrible in her animations). ^^

As for my choice of concept, well, I've been meaning to make a Night Elf with Barkskin for a while now. I was originally make a druidy mage adventurer lady of sorts, with lots of belts full of potions and herbs, with the same ability(barkskin), but eh, I decided that for lack of a better concept for this one, I might as well try to make a sort of merger between 'druid' and 'archer'. I thought that was a rather cool idea, and honestly, I haven't seen a great deal of good looking Night Elf archers on foot.

Level 48
Well, I tried. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, and I'm even less sure if it looks any better at all, but here:
BZUT8Dy.png
CTyD6YA.png

It might be difficult to pull off because of the way I modeled her hair. There's only one vertex to really pull over there in order to achieve the effect you want me to, and I'm really not sure if it's sufficient. I kind of don't feel like remodeling the hair at this point either... :p

Level 18
Well, I tried. I'm not sure if this is what you meant, and I'm even less sure if it looks any better at all, but here:
BZUT8Dy.png
CTyD6YA.png

It might be difficult to pull off because of the way I modeled her hair. There's only one vertex to really pull over there in order to achieve the effect you want me to, and I'm really not sure if it's sufficient. I kind of don't feel like remodeling the hair at this point either... :p

:ogre_haosis: much better ~

Level 16
Hmm i'm kind stuck with a problem. Does someone know a compatible format for both maya and 3ds? I can't find one working and im stuck with exporting.

Level 26
Level 48
Tomorrow at 7PM, I do believe.

~~~

Alright, so I finished the bow, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed here...
One thing to note is that I'm not even sure if it's possible to have the teamcolored particles work in-game, not to mention that they glitch out in the animations and just sort of fly everywhere, so I'm almost certain I won't be including them - as pretty as they look during "Stand"... :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    459.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png