• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned my texturing is smooth and delicious.

You know, funny. I've always loved Diablo. Diablo 1 was one of my favorite games of all time. I have also wanted to at some point create a stylized, hand painted, atmospheric, diablo esque warcraft 3 mod. It would be really fun making models for something like that.

That would be a nice theme for a future contest. Really tired of wc3 style contests. Would be nice to let anyone get off that box for a while.

I'm not saying I'm in, I'm just saying that this competition looks fun and if I can figure out how to wrap a skin in Milkshape I'll probably join.

Because Windows 7 won't let me open Vertex Modifier, and no matter what I do I can't replace the essential file that isn't working because Windows 7 sucks.

Compx32.dll? I can pastebin that for you if you like.
And you really should join. We need more Kobolds.

Also, you might want to try to use MDLVis or the new matrix eater thingy.

I'm not saying I'm in, I'm just saying that this competition looks fun and if I can figure out how to wrap a skin in Milkshape I'll probably join.

Because Windows 7 won't let me open Vertex Modifier, and no matter what I do I can't replace the essential file that isn't working because Windows 7 sucks.

Why not using GMAX instead? More happy time with it.

I'm really rather stuck in my ways. I learned Vertex Modifier and used it this entire time, up until my last submitted model. Aside from that, the damn switch to Windows 7 makes it so Magos doesn't automatically show ingame textures.

But, if I DO decide I can do this, I'm working on a Footman hero.

You just need to do a little registry edit. Also, feel free to contact me if you need anything to run oinker's tools on win7.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I wonder why no one has yet done an "Earthmother/Earthlord" or "Stormfather/Windlord". We've already got the Firelord and the Tidal Lord, and we desperately need to complete the set. Perfect opportunity.

That, or Goblins. Or Trolls! Or Pandaren. Man, Pandaren.

You just need to do a little registry edit. Also, feel free to contact me if you need anything to run oinker's tools on win7.
Wait, do you know how to fix the whole "Magos not rendering in-game textures automatically in Windows 7" deal? That'd be great...

Level 20
Im current working on it's animations, i'll give the rider more armor (shoud be clothes) later as well as effects and teamcolor (coz MDLVIS gives me a freakin laggy if i put 2 layers material in the model)

Here's a WIP of it:
attachment.php

Sorry for the low-quality gif, my crappy PC cant record it smoother ;_;

Attachments

• WIP.gif
    WIP.gif
    696.5 KB · Views: 1,096
Level 16
To the comfortable part well there are better tools for that. With the rest i agree.
Ok now does someone know how to export a model from maya to .mdx?

I wonder why no one has yet done an "Earthmother/Earthlord" or "Stormfather/Windlord". We've already got the Firelord and the Tidal Lord, and we desperately need to complete the set. Perfect opportunity.

That, or Goblins. Or Trolls! Or Pandaren. Man, Pandaren.

Wait, do you know how to fix the whole "Magos not rendering in-game textures automatically in Windows 7" deal? That'd be great...

I was actualy working on a bloodlord for neodex samples, but as with most of my scratch made models, I normaly lose interest when i have to unwrap it and texture it.

Guys, for gods sake use mdlvis for unwrapping. Nothing easier, mightier and more comfortable than that.

There is, it's called 3ds max and GMAX.

To the comfortable part well there are better tools for that. With the rest i agree.
Ok now does someone know how to export a model from maya to .mdx?

There is no direct converter that will export a model from maya to warcraft 3, at least none I have ever heard of. You can export the model from maya as a .max file and either convert it in 3ds max with art tools or neodex. If you don't have 3ds Max, I'm sure you could get someone who does to convert it for you.

EDIT: I decided to put texture changes on hold for now and go straight ahead into animation. I just finished rigging the model and am starting animation right now.

Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
High Illusionist FINAL

Jigrael: Looking awesome so far.
Woah, imagine if the weapons extended into a literal "snake-sword" (like Ivy from SoulCalibur). That' be kickass for a Naga :>

Woohoo, finished!
Pretty stoked with how this turned out, I'll submit to the database later tomorrow.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• High_Illusionist_Beauty_Shot.jpg
    High_Illusionist_Beauty_Shot.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 1,514
  • High_Illusionist_Ingame.jpg
    High_Illusionist_Ingame.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • HeroHighIllusionist.zip
    164.3 KB · Views: 101
  • UberSorcTemp3.jpg
    UberSorcTemp3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,375
Level 20
Jigrael: Looking awesome so far.
Woah, imagine if the weapons extended into a literal "snake-sword" (like Ivy from SoulCalibur). That' be kickass for a Naga :>

Woohoo, finished!
Pretty stoked with how this turned out, I'll submit to the database later tomorrow.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesum! :D i like that texture, i must learn 2D art later on :xxd:

do_not_want21.jpg

Well this is as far as I went with it:
attachment.php

I only made the head. the concept was a bony guy covered by a blood mantel with a visible heart. I had nice plans for the animations, but never actualy had time to work on him. The death animation was going to be the bones falling down and the heart exploding. Stand animations would show a cocky nature with walk showing inpotency, attacks power and recklessness. The dissapate would just be the head floating in circles up laughing.

Attachments

• Show.jpg
    Show.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 571
Level 18
My Contest Model Progress (so far)...

Here's a third WIP of my model entry...
Decorated the surrounding of the planned 'Orb Altar' and have the Murloc wearing golden forearm/shin bracer & crown...
Now working on the Turtle's new look before beginning animating...

NOTE : The Murloc's back fin are a little different that the typical RoC counterpart (inspired from the real-life Viper Fish)...
NOTE II : I may create an alternate version of the Murloc (a shaman looking version smoking a peace-pipe)...

Attachments

• ModelContest#25_WIP03.png
    ModelContest#25_WIP03.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 549
Level 17
Here's a third WIP of my model entry...
Decorated the surrounding of the planned 'Orb Altar' and have the Murloc wearing golden forearm/shin bracer & crown...
Now working on the Turtle's new look before beginning animating...

NOTE : The Murloc's back fin are a little different that the typical RoC counterpart (inspired from the real-life Viper Fish)...
NOTE II : I may create an alternate version of the Murloc (a shaman looking version smoking a peace-pipe)...

Is he dead ?

Level 16
Hmm scrapped my idea and decided to start something new. A human berserker/viking/ optionaly bandit leader, got the shield axe and the feet wips coming tommorow.
Will be based on Cpt. Thorvard from castle storm.

Level 17
I'm out, I suck at modelling and I lost all motivation. I can draw and create awesome concepts but when it actually comes to modelling it, unless it's real high poly so I can make details I lose all interest, I don't know...Everyone has cool ideas for a model except me. That sorceress thing is awesome and so is BallisticTerrain's undead. I had an idea of what my knight was going to be like and now I'm blank...yeah, I'm out ! I'm sticking to 2D.

I'm out, I suck at modelling and I lost all motivation. I can draw and create awesome concepts but when it actually comes to modelling it, unless it's real high poly so I can make details I lose all interest, I don't know...Everyone has cool ideas for a model except me. That sorceress thing is awesome and so is BallisticTerrain's undead. I had an idea of what my knight was going to be like and now I'm blank...yeah, I'm out ! I'm sticking to 2D.

You crazy man, your wips had good talent into them. I suggest you keep going, I'm sure you'll find some motivation, but why surrendering when you got so far?

So my textures are a little rusty, but I think I've done a decent enough job.

Although, I'm still not quite sure about it, but he's still a Skeleton Warrior. Basically. Should I have given him a sword and shield?
nice.

but warcraftize the texture more this time... add details, depth, contours. that was your fault in past contests. a nice idea but a bland texture.

(i say this with no compromise of making myself a texture which won't suck :p)

-----

btw, here goes another wip of my faerie dragon hero. i'm almost done with the mesh. wip1.pngwip1_b.png

128386d1376179001-modelling-contest-25-ascension-sketch.png

Level 26
nice.

but warcraftize the texture more this time... add details, depth, contours. that was your fault in past contests. a nice idea but a bland texture.

-----

btw, here goes another wip of my faerie dragon hero. i'm almost done with the mesh. View attachment 128602View attachment 128603

Looks like the chimera of a Dinosaur, a Prawn and a Fairy
Thus, Prawnosaurus Fairy? ;O

nice.

-----

btw, here goes another wip of my faerie dragon hero. i'm almost done with the mesh. View attachment 128602View attachment 128603

I suggest you add more details to the wings and tail of your Prawnosaurus Fairy :grin: you could really benefit from giving shape to your wings. They appear to be a very resalting thrait of your concept.

I suggest you add more details to the wings and tail of your Prawnosaurus Fairy :grin: you could really benefit from giving shape to your wings. They appear to be a very resalting thrait of your concept.
those wings will be alphae'd. so not much geometry detail will be given to them, except more segments so i can animate them properly

I'm pretty sure they would much better with the texture on.
don't be so sure. i had few experiments with texturing before. :v

The arms of the prawnosaurus should be larger, perhaps? It looks like a baby creature :p
their rigging position is around 45º in top view. so, when you look at it from the ortographic views, they look as if their tiny. but maybe they could be a tad bit bigger indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.