• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Wonderful model..

Thanks ;)

Edit: I think i'll add some team color on the Rider and the TeamGlow (I had a plane to turn this Raven-Wings into Wc3 Griffon's wings which have TeamColor too)

It'd be nice if you add some particles too sir ice.. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 51
I present you: The Spell Thief (literally)

spellbreaker.PNG

It's looking great, can't wait to see the feet moving. Btw what happened with the tauren fella?

Well I F*cked up with the model polygons and Didn't have backup, so Idecided I make something better, a shaman head with blademaster body and rewrap it, and it trurned out great and I added few animations:
Stand
Attack
Spell
Spell - Throw
Spell - Slam
The Gif shows "Spell" animation.

Off-Topic: what version of 3DS Max do you have?

Well I F*cked up with the model polygons and Didn't have backup, so Idecided I make something better, a shaman head with blademaster body and rewrap it, and it trurned out great and I added few animations:
Stand
Attack
Spell
Spell - Throw
Spell - Slam

Off-Topic: what version of 3DS Max do you have?

I use 3ds max 2008, still waiting for license to run out before I update to 2014.

hmm I see.

Btw did you think on rebaking the unwrap to retexture it better?

Level 51
He looks a bit too much like a human knight. Besides, that Spell Breaker face texture is terrible. Try to use Arthas or something with green eyes and big eyebrows and ears.

I'm still experimenting with textures, though, the spellbreaker face is going to stay (or at least modified). There are too many same elf-faces out there with arthas base, wanted to do something different this time.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Someone who can custom animated should do something with this model I just found art for. Pretty neat.

Also, eubz, Kaizer, Wrathion, no comment on my previous post? :p

Also also, Chucky, MiniMage, Wandering Soul, takakenji, GhostThruster and JokeMaster, don't leave us hanging. How're things going?

~~~

I'm having some serious issues trying to pull off the look I had in mind in a warcraft low poly style. Now matter how hard I try I cannot get the face right. I'm starting to wonder If I should pick a different unit. I still want to do undead, but I just don't think I can pull this off the way that I want.

I think I might try the banshee. I have plenty of time, and I have never done something like a banshee before. Any thoughts?
Sorry to hear that. Yeah, hitting the style definitely takes a certain knack. I dunno if anyone here would be willing to help you out with that?

The Banshee is a pretty cool unit. Obviously a "hero-version" exists (Dark Ranger), so the trick is to come up with something new. A super-Banshee ("Phantasm"? "Ghast"? "Wailing Wonder"? :p), or instead mixed with the whole Val'kyr thing (concept art here and here).
Alternatively looking at the spells: emphasize 'Curse' for a malevolent "Spectre" hero bent on twisting enemy attacks... emphasize 'Anti-Magic Shell' for an enigmatic "Eidolon" able to deflect & disable magicks... emphasize 'Possession' for a nefarious "Puppetrix", manipulating enemies with spectral threads & evil puppets!

BallisticTerrain said:
Hmm, interesting. I just had an idea from looking at your necromancer that's actually my necromancer except yours.
Lol!

That WoW-looking bear priestess is really just a couple of WC3 campaign menu screen models stitched together in the Matrix Eater with the animations of the other model pictured (which was made from typical wc3 models). I didn't fit the animations onto it too well, and I think I'd have to redo a lot of that model to make it look any good.

Anybody got any ideas for how to make a good Makrura hero? Heaven's Fall's Makrura hero is still using a default wc3 model, maybe I could make a Makrura hero if I get some good ideas.
But, the Matrix Eater requires good ideas to make good things happen.
I kinda agree with Deolrin, that if you're gonna go with the NE Bear Priestess, definitely stick with the "regular-poly" one that'll actually fit in-game. With a buncha additions, of course. Could look rather cool.

However, if you're thinking of switching... :p

Makrura... Now there's an idea. No one has really done them before.
WoWWiki said:
The vast majority of heroic makrura are barbarians. Scouts, warriors, and healers other than shaman are uncommon, while arcanists and tinkers are nonexistent.
I think you know what this means.

MAKRURA LIBRARIAN/TINKER, GOGO!

(But seriously, not sure there. Makrura would probably be good with hero glow, a HUGE-o claw, some tattered cloth... some butter, some tartar sauce, ooh a nice squeeze of lemon... *sorry*)

Hmm... Maybe so.
In the mean time, just for a bit of fun, I tried to make BallisticTerrain's model with the Matrix Eater and made something interesting of a Necromancer...
That's hilarious, you're making other people's entries.

Gotta say it's interesting... But the face is weird, the cape is out of place, and the staff is just as cluttered as I thought it might be. :< Try out that "shelf mushroom-cape" deal, I'm interested to see if that can be pulled off.

This is my last WIP for the mount, removed all the messes at his neck-head and reduced the neck's length (I have tweaked its head and feets so it would be more lion-ish now lol).
Looking really good now. I'm impressed with how surprisingly-leonine you've made that bear.

Personally, though, I like my Sphinxes more feline instead of ursine... Can't really describe it, but you can Google Image "sphinx mtg" for a buncha Magic: the Gathering Sphinxes. Heck, the regular Wc3 Gryphon Rider is half-lion; use the back of that!

(Of course, you probably won't want to re-do everything at this point).

Who's the rider? What's he wield? And does this guy actually fly?

Your definitions of hero-ifying units are ridiculously good. Well done fellas :>
"Definitions"? What do you mean?

Stand
Attack
Spell
Spell - Throw
Spell - Slam
Dang, sorry to hear that. I rather liked it. :<

However, this Blade-Shaman-Master is really coming along well. Just a nice merge overall. The animation (aside from the legs) is solid. Two things, though:

1) Definitely do something to the head/face; I'm realizing that that's one of the big keys to making a unique & cool hero. Maybe give him black-wolf-fur-mask, tweak the ears, the fangs, add eye-glow to the mask, something.

2) Skulls are incredibly over-used. The one on his chest is alright (but a replacement or a tweak (horns?) should be done), but his staff... It's just a stick, with a skull. Give him anything else; a rib cage, a ceremonial half-moon blade, a spiral of bones, rings of magick... I dunno. What exactly is this guy?

I present you: The Spell Thief (literally)

View attachment 128274
Noice! I really like this, and the name as well! I can tell you've done some creative merging & wrapping, and I'm a fan. I'm assuming the cape/scarf/shoulder-drapes are all TC. As he is, he's a solid unit; the face is relatively unique, though, so it's just a matter of finding something for him to hold or whatevs. What do you have in mind?
*thinks of trickery-related paraphrenalia*
Hum, maybe a deck of magic cards that he can shoot, like Gambit? Or perhaps a simple wooden staff... Pair of dice, trick shot glasses, ribbons...

I dunno, Deolrin, the face looks pretty cool. Although the scarf is a bit large (I rather like the "scarf-crossed-over-the-face" deal, but maybe slightly lower, or dipping down near his mouth?).

Dang, sorry to hear that. I rather liked it. :<

However, this Blade-Shaman-Master is really coming along well. Just a nice merge overall. The animation (aside from the legs) is solid. Two things, though:

1) Definitely do something to the head/face; I'm realizing that that's one of the big keys to making a unique & cool hero. Maybe give him black-wolf-fur-mask, tweak the ears, the fangs, add eye-glow to the mask, something.

2) Skulls are incredibly over-used. The one on his chest is alright (but a replacement or a tweak (horns?) should be done), but his staff... It's just a stick, with a skull. Give him anything else; a rib cage, a ceremonial half-moon blade, a spiral of bones, rings of magick... I dunno. What exactly is this guy?

Its no a final wip, its a first wip, alot of attachments will be added (Warcraft orc hero spam basic attachments), still can't get a better idea for the staff but its defenetly not going to be this
I will retexture the texture to make the a Hero shaman Shadow caster, wih black wolf fur and a mojo mask on his face and a staff in his hand (and few attachments like the skull).

EDIT:
Wip
attachment.php

Attachments

• download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
Level 48
I dunno, Deolrin, the face looks pretty cool

You didn't see it in a closeup yet.
avQ3ljT.png

*thinks of trickery-related paraphrenalia*
Hum, maybe a deck of magic cards that he can shoot, like Gambit? Or perhaps a simple wooden staff... Pair of dice, trick shot glasses, ribbons...

Well, he's a spell thief, isn't it? So I'm guessing daggers, or otherwise small, handheld blade weapons. He's using the Demon Hunter animations, so it seems only appropriate.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Lol, that's probably because certain parts of his face were supposed to be covered by armor. Those wrinkled cheeks definitely look like the molds of the spell breaker helm. Spell Breaker portrait is actually quite cool. I just wish his eyebrows weren't so ridiculous.

Level 16
Proxy there is a better version of the spell breaker texture idk how its named but it is listed on the human expansion ui.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
stonneash said:
Its no a final wip, its a first wip, alot of attachments will be added (Warcraft orc hero spam basic attachments), still can't get a better idea for the staff but its defenetly not going to be this
I will retexture the texture to make the a Hero shaman Shadow caster, wih black wolf fur and a mojo mask on his face and a staff in his hand (and few attachments like the skull).

EDIT:
Wip
Of course, of course. I wasn't saying you were done, just pointing out some things to change. :p

While I definitely love the black-fur style, I fear the wrapping will need some work; it looks like a hodge-podge of textures or fur-directions; a little like a charcoal-grey blob in-game.

Mojo mask? Like a Troll? I'm interested to see how that works on a non-Troll. :eek:

"Shaman Shadow Caster"... Hmm, interesting. So what does that mean? Like, what role would he fulfill in Orcish society? Is he the lovechild of the Orcish Shamans & Warlocks, or a figurative descendant of the Wc1 Necrolytes? Does he raise the dead, or just curse his foes? Does he literally use his enemies' shadow in battle against them? Figure out what exactly he does or would do, and that'll help give ideas for his staff.

Love the shocks of hair. :p

Deolrin said:
Well, he's a spell thief, isn't it? So I'm guessing daggers, or otherwise small, handheld blade weapons. He's using the Demon Hunter animations, so it seems only appropriate.
A blade makes sense, but think MORE. Think character. See below (and man, I didn't actually recognize those animations. :<...)

icewolf055 said:
Okay it looks like this for now
Huh, real interesting. I guess you're going Human, then? Interesting head-scarf-deal. Is that a staff, or a long-limbed club? :p

PROXY said:
A quick update. Not sure on the weapon yet, might make a lightsaber style fusion so he can attack with 2 one handed and 1 double handed blade.
While I always love your creative weapons, and can definitely appreciate the tie-in to the Spellbreaker from whence he comes... I feel there's a lot more to be done with that character to give him some, well, character. :p

Case in point: Warcraft has no answer to Marvel's Gambit.
200px-Gambit01.jpg

Awexome super-thief, with a variety of powerful mutant abilities (charming people, charging things with explosive kinetic energy, manipulating static to block telepaths, parkour, and his bo-staff & martial arts. His "charging" ability can be done on a pack of cards so he can throw explosive cards with deadly accuracy. :p

Anyway, this guy really strikes some similar chords to me, and as stated, there's no Gambit-like hero in Wc3 whatsoever. Some sorta crazy-cool staff, maybe a deck of explosive cards and a trick dagger... I dunno, man. Not sure you could go wrong with that. : )

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Friday, Friday, gonna post WIPs on Friday :ogre_hurrhurr:

Did some texture tinkering and Warcraftified her by ~40%.

It's hard to tell from static images but Stand 1, Spell, Death, Dissipate and Walk are finished. I might try render out some .gifs when it's closer to final.
Stand 2 is half-done, still working on Attack and Spell Channel/Slam/Whatever.

The Spell particles are the same as the Bloodmage/Priest (except purple, looks more dramatic) and are really sweet in-game.

Attachments

• UberSorc WIP5.jpg
    UberSorc WIP5.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 775
3DS max has been acting up recently. It's been flipping normals and UVs for no reason, and when I tried to uninstall and reinstall NeoDex, I can never get it to fully go away.
The extent to which it is screwing up is quite difficult to describe.
It is flipping the normals on primitives as soon as I create them. It is flipping the UVs on faces when I do things like extrude or add edge loops.
I'm trying to reinstall it right now. Hopefully I can get it to work or else I may have some problems making a model for this contest.
As good as 3ds max is, I have to admit it is not the most stable software ever.

Yeah, I know. Fortunately a reinstall seemed to fix the normals and the UV problems, but NeoDex still will not go away. For some reason the NeoDex installer is still showing up under customize user interface even though it is clearly not in the folder. I don't think it matters but it's still bugging me. Also, 3ds max is still having a NeoDex related error upon startup.

Do you have a suggested way to uninstall NeoDex Blinkboy?

Level 18
A (very) Slow Progress...

Here's my 2nd WIP...
Progress is slow (very slow)...
So far just converted the top shell of the turtle into 'Sunken Ruins Decor' (see first attachment picture)...
My personal suggestion is to add sunken ruins armour to the turtle, like a helmet and some leg armor, and for the Murloc maybe add some kind of reef crown or alike. Also when animating, I suggest to add attack animations for both the turtle and the murloc on top. (maybe attack 1 for the murloc "magic from staff", and attack 2 for the turtle "its bites")
Hmm... A Royal Murloc on a War-Turtle... Interesting suggestion...
However, that concept would be more of a Strength Hero than the one I initially planned (Intellegence Hero)...
Nevertheless, I will put this suggestion into consideration...

Alright! This is pretty neat. Done before, but not too much in regular War3. (I've always marveled at the dearth of "royalty riding big animal/throne/palanquin" models).

I know this is an early WIP, so I'll just echo Astaroth to say that crazy plate-armor & more Royal-ish features (reef crown!) will be awexome. Maybe a little tent over his head, or a magicky 'orb of depths' floating in front of him.

Just as a side-thought, try to differentiate the Turtle a bit from the existing in-game Turtle? Not sure how, probably through changing proportions (thinner, longer neck, etc?).
I planned to place the Naga's 'Altar of Depths' globe on the small 'Altar' (in front of the 'Throne') and have it glowing when a 'Spell' is cast/channel...
You are right about 'Differentiating the Turtle from the other in-game Turtle', and I have been thinking about that too...
But with the current top-shell design I have made, the Turtle must have strong, powerful legs to carry such weight...
Perhaps I should turn the toe-nails into claws, and modify the turtle-head to look more Dragon-like...

And there is the problem with the Murloc, and how to make it look shaman/mage-like (it will probably be in sitting position)...
If I switch the Hero type from 'Intelligence' to 'Strength', I will use Astaroth Zion's suggestion PLUS switch the Murloc into its bulkier cousin the Depth Murloc (WoW version)...

With the way the model currently are, I will add corals around the 'Sunken Ruins' structure (especially the 'Throne'), and build an 'Ocean-Theme Staff' to fit into the 'Intellegence Murloc Hero' concept...

SIDE-QUEST : During my 'Away Time' from my 'Contest-Theme Model' work, I manage to mash up 'Sentry/Huntress' with 'Priestess of the Moon' to create another 'Contest-Theme Model' (check the second attachment picture)...
Bear in mind that this model WILL NOT STEP IN for the Murloc Hero I am still working on if I fail to complete it in time (It has the same animation as the Priestess of the Moon, too simple for submission)...

Attachments

• ModelContest#25_WIP02.png
    ModelContest#25_WIP02.png
    682.9 KB · Views: 499
  • SentinelGeneral_WIP.png
    SentinelGeneral_WIP.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 448
Level 26
Here's my 2nd WIP...
So far just converted the top shell of the turtle into 'Sunken Ruins Decor' (see first attachment picture)...

However, that concept would be more of a Strength Hero than the one I initially planned (Intellegence Hero)...

I planned to place the Naga's 'Altar of Depths' globe on the small 'Altar' (in front of the 'Throne') and have it glowing when a 'Spell' is cast/channel...
You are right about 'Differentiating the Turtle from the other in-game Turtle', and I have been thinking about that too...
But with the current top-shell design I have made, the Turtle must have strong, powerful legs to carry such weight...
Perhaps I should turn the toe-nails into claws, and modify the turtle-head to look more Dragon-like...

And there is the problem with the Murloc, and how to make it look shaman/mage-like (it will probably be in sitting position)...
If I switch the Hero type from 'Intelligence' to 'Strength', I will use Astaroth Zion's suggestion PLUS switch the Murloc into its bulkier cousin the Depth Murloc (WoW version)...

With the way the model currently are, I will add corals around the 'Sunken Ruins' structure (especially the 'Throne'), and build an 'Ocean-Theme Staff' to fit into the 'Intellegence Murloc Hero' concept...

SIDE-QUEST : During my 'Away Time' from my 'Contest-Theme Model' work, I manage to mash up 'Sentry/Huntress' with 'Priestess of the Moon' to create another 'Contest-Theme Model' (check the second attachment picture)...
Bear in mind that this model WILL NOT STEP IN for the Murloc Hero I am still working on if I fail to complete it in time (It has the same animation as the Priestess of the Moon, too simple for submission)...

That's one badass turtle throne. ;D

He did update it to work for later versions with neodex 2. I've never had any problems like this in any version until now though.

Nonetheless, they're gone now. I just managed to completely fix all of my problems after approx 3-4 hours of screwing around.

I'm completely changing the way it will work from now on. Its an option i didnt want but will have to do.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Looking good, everypony!

One point I wanted to make before commenting on the rest... Basically, even if people are picking the same or similar units, remember that there are always plenty of ways to do something. Especially something as free-form as this. :p

Case in point, I've made some additions to the Second Post, example here:

Naga Royal Guard ->

Jigrael, Jigrael, Misha, -Grendel, dickxunder

NagaRoyalGuard.jpg

At least 5 ways to do the Naga Royal Guard.

~~~

Also, one other thing to point out:

Originally
Later

This might be a good example of "what makes a hero, a true hero" in terms of what I've been trying to describe. These are both made by the same artist (jigrael/Tarrasque), yet it's easy to see which is the better (and I think jigrael would agree).

The first is excellent, "completes the mission" as it were; extra armor, hero glow, different colors (from the Naga Myrmidon, which the Royal Guard is like a Hero-version of in the first place).
However, the second one "accomplishes the mission", "goes above & beyond". It's entirely different; still fitting the Theme & Role, but is an entirely different character.

Achieve the first one, and you've got a really solid entry. But shoot for the second one; achieve it, and you've got a contest-winning entry.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
icewolf055 said:
May i ask this silly question?

When we done our model, we're gona attach them here via attachment or post them in Resource section first then post here the direct link? :D

First Post said:
  • Timeline - Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Submission - The file in the appropriate format.
    • In-Game Screenshot - An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • FINAL - The word "Final", so it is easy to Search for, indicating Finality.

~~~

Friday, Friday, gonna post WIPs on Friday :ogre_hurrhurr:

Did some texture tinkering and Warcraftified her by ~40%.

It's hard to tell from static images but Stand 1, Spell, Death, Dissipate and Walk are finished. I might try render out some .gifs when it's closer to final.
Stand 2 is half-done, still working on Attack and Spell Channel/Slam/Whatever.

The Spell particles are the same as the Bloodmage/Priest (except purple, looks more dramatic) and are really sweet in-game.
Huh? Looks great, but what exactly did you change?

I don't recognize those animations... Don't tell me you learned how to animate as well. Put me to shame... Man, that Troll Dino-dude is gonna be [rainbow]so cool[/rainbow]! :p

Lookin' real good. As a nitpicky side note, I don't know if it's too late to change, but I would've tried to make the symbols on her runic arm-drapes a little more uniform (i.e. make the fact that you used your initials and a smiley less obvious :p); perhaps incorporating a few dots on the top two figures, as well as mixing up the order a bit (1, 2, and 4 are very similar; perhaps 1-3-4-5-2, or even 2-5-1-3-4).

Then again, it's probably barely an issue in-game. :p Just had to express my OCD.

Wrathion said:
Here it is.. Sword and shield. What next?
Hum... Well, an interesting idea, giving a Sorceror a blade & shield... What exactly are you making? That would help you determine where to go next.

Until you figure that out, all I or anyone can really suggest is "make him more different". Can't just submit the Blood Mage with some attachments, right? :p Different/removed shoulderpads & cloak, different face/head (or modify it sufficiently), maybe different armor or other attachments...

Yeah, gotta decide what he is. Big difference between "Gladiator" and "Clown Lord", right? : )

Here's my 2nd WIP...

FIRST OF ALL, don't feel bad about slow progress. You got some crazy-fast modders in this thread; remember, you still have, like, 5-6 weeks. Take your time. :p Besides, from all that I'm seeing, you haven't been wasting it.

Mount:
Alright, I am loving the makeover that Turtle shell has gotten. Good & simple Team-Color, very uniform, cool throne/pedestal idea, and just smoothly integrated overall. Make a few changes to that Turtle... Maybe a canopy or something behind/over the throne... And this guy is done (that is, aside from the Murloc himself :p).

On that note, I really think you needn't worry about "realism" as much as "game-usage". Mounted units are tricky because if the 'disparity' between the units (rider & mount) are too great, one will dwarf the other. The Goblin Alchemist is a decent example; the Ogre is huge compared to the Goblin, but they kinda made him a smaller Ogre than your normal Ogre.

Same thing here; I think despite the stone throne & stuff being heavy... it's Warcraft! Crazier things have happened. You can make a smaller turtle, and (based on my memory of how big he is normally) that might be necessary. That, and other aesthetic changes (claws? different face? longer neck/tail? thinner legs with bigger feet? etc)

Rider:
I'm going to have to disagree with you, and agree with you at the same time. :p Totally stick with making an Intelligence hero; that's exactly the kind of thing the Naga/Murloc needs (or rather, this model needs). However, you should totally make it a sort of "Royal Murloc"; who says royalty needs to be Strength? In fact, they'd probably disdain direct combat and utilize ranged combat or spells. Or minions. :p

In fact, that reminds me of a really cool idea that I've only seen once (and poorly at that) in "The Tales of Ravignion": Warhammer. Make a Slann.

Slann_Mage_Priest_c.gif

slann_2.jpg

Nothing like a giant, abysmally obese Toad/Frog-dude as the King of all the frog/fish-people (Murloc), riding on his ridiculous floating (or turtle-driven) throne.

Definitely do the Naga Altar "orb" idea for that pedestal. With that, he doesn't even need a staff; just have the Hero animated as rubbing the orb to fire off his spells!

Man, this could be really cool.

Wandering Soul said:
Lol, this is actually a great idea; make a second, alternate submission for in case your main, more-awexome one doesn't work out in the time-line. I don't know why it's not good enough; in fact, it almost looks better than the PotM (an actual face, a cooler bow, etc).

I'm back, and with a completely new model!
This time I attempted to exaggerate proportions and use a significantly lower number of polys to make this model blend better with warcraft 3.
This is just a mesh WIP, I will be tweaking it and adding things later on.

Triangle count is 1,070, and I can reduce it further if needed.

6pNNw1h.jpg

QE0icL3.jpg

jTGNa46.jpg

TGqV6QY.jpg

It's missing something right now, but I'm still pretty pleased with the current state. Thoughts?

WARCRAFT ENOUGH FOR YAH?

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
WARCRAFT ENOUGH FOR YAH?

Needs MOAR.

What you've got would work fine in HoMMVI or Majesty 2 but WCIII has a really distinct style.
Without huge, over-exaggerated, iconic features which are easily identifiable at a distance, it will just look like a stick figure in-game. Especially compared to other units and heroes. I had the same problem with mine.

The best way to judge is to import it into WorldEdit and compare your model with similar WCIII ones. Look at the silhouette or general shape of a hero model and what features stand out. The Warden, Dreadlord and Lich have really strong and identifiable shapes.

---

On the model itself, the topology looks great. My only thoughts are that the skirt thing probably needs an extra segment or two for better articulation.

Last edited:
Level 17
Well here are my wips for now, been busy, it's for the knight, a holy/cellestial knight hero if you may call it that...everything is made from scratch and I could REALLY use some feedback...
WIP01.png
WIP02.png
WIP03.png

And can anyone tell me why my normals are fucked up when I export from max using the NeoDex exporter ?
mesh_error.png

Last edited:
Needs MOAR.

What you've got would work fine in HoMMVI or Majesty 2 but WCIII has a really distinct style.
Without huge, over-exaggerated, iconic features which are easily identifiable at a distance, it will just look like a stick figure in-game. Especially compared to other units and heroes. I had the same problem with mine.

The best way to judge is to import it into WorldEdit and compare your model with similar WCIII ones. Look at the silhouette or general shape of a hero model and what features stand out. The Warden, Dreadlord and Lich have really strong and identifiable shapes.

---

On the model itself, the topology looks great. My only thoughts are that the skirt thing probably needs an extra segment or two for better articulation.

Thanks AR. I'm going to try and increase the size of the hands, and add more detail/emphasis to the chains coming out of the bottom of his kilt thing. Maybe some hooks on the end of them. After that I'll post another WIP and we'll see if I need to add anything else.

Well here are my wips for now, been busy, it's for the knight, a holy/cellestial knight hero if you may call it that...everything is made from scratch and I could REALLY use some feedback...
View attachment 128372
View attachment 128373
View attachment 128374

And can anyone tell me why my normals are fucked up when I export from max using the NeoDex exporter ?
View attachment 128377

The mesh seems ok, but it is lacking definition. This is just because you haven't finished it yet so that isn't a problem. But can we see the wireframe? You have 1700 something polys which means about about 3,400 triangles. If we can see it maybe we can point out some places where you don't need as many polys.

EDIT:
Ok, I increased the size of the hands and added hooks. I think I need to add something somewhere near the head next.
Here is a sketchfab 3D preview. (Thanks for showing us that site SuPa.)

https://sketchfab.com/show/33219e9c6b044208aa9227f352144599

Last edited:
Level 17
Here are the wireframes and about the definition I thought I could use the texture to do that, I still need to add pieces of armor on him and a cape, will dress the horse as well...Don't know why it turned out so crappy, I modelled them both after references...Anyway BlinkyBoy said there's no limit on pollies and I'm thinking or remaking it...really dissapointed
wire01.png
wire02.png
wire03.png
wire04.png
Oh and ballistic you could try making him more broader in his shoulders, that would make him stand out and maybe add some particles, so far I like how it's going, can't wait for the finished model !

The topology on the guy is a little messy. Try as hard as you can to keep the model made out of nothing but quads. The horse looks good, but you need to remake his tail. Next time use fewer segments and taper it near the end. And then weld all of the verts into a point for the last bit of the tail.

I did a few annotations in photoshop to show you where you need to fix topology.

l0b1hHi.png

1: Stars. Stars are bad. They mess up shading and animation. Try to remove edges that do not A) Contribute to silhouette or B) Help with animation.

2: More stars. Kill them.

3: Stars. Try to make sure every intersection has only 4 edges leading to it. 5 is sometimes ok, but you don't want 6 or more except in some cases where it is required. (Like the top of a sphere.)

4: Thats an N-Gon. (polygon with more than four sides.) Also messes up shading and animation. Try cutting it into two separate polygons.

5: This entire string of polys seems unneeded. Weld them together if you can.

There is also another pair of stars I just noticed in the armpit under 3.

Try to fix mistakes like this over the whole model. It will make it all around better.

3Mj4i6e.png

1: N-Gon again. Try to get rid of it.

2: This isn't a big problem but if you have extra time see if you can also get rid of it.

As for my model, I tried broader shoulders earlier on and they looked wrong. I will add particles later though.

Ninja Edit:
XJkLLRY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.