• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Wouldn't worry too much - I'm good at starting things, bad at finishing them :p

Anywho, it are WIP tiems.

Everything is really rough at this stage, whole lotta proportion issues need a-fixin'

Attachments

• UberSorc WIP1.jpg
    UberSorc WIP1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 229
Level 12
I'm entering this one! :grin:

as for my submission, I'm gonna make a hero version of Felguard.

as for my first
IMG_0618.PNG

if you are gonna Trashtalk me on
Originality - Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
because of my pic in my album then your argument is invalid because, I completely redo this one because the one on my album is broken.

I'm gonna add some lower armor and change his weapon soon.

I just want to thank Wandering Soul for teaching me on how to create a Dissipate animation :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
AnemicRoyalty said:
Man, it's been forever since I've signed in here...

Quick concept sketch, complete with Uber-80s-Hair!

Let's do this >:D

~~~

Anywho, it are WIP tiems.

Everything is really rough at this stage, whole lotta proportion issues need a-fixin'
Al-[rainbow]right!!![/rainbow] Now it's a party. Very glad you could rock our socks join our humble gathering & grace it with your effervescent art, man.

Quite excited already for this "UberSorc" (though I admit I'm a little sad no one grabbed onto my "Illusionist" concept for a hero-ic Sorc). I can't get enough of the 80's hair.

Everyone, this is a great example of how to give a hero "character". Become a victim of the sad hairstyles of the 80's. :p

However, there is a cloud to that silver lining...

AnemicRoyalty said:
Wouldn't worry too much - I'm good at starting things, bad at finishing them :p
Oh RLY? :p

//EDIT// I just realized that it's been over 1.5 yrs since that post... o_O

Wrathion said:
We are allowed to use custom textures right?
First Post said:
[*]Textures - Feel free to use/modify either In-Game textures or Custom textures, as well as any mixture of the two. If you use a Custom texture, it has to be at least 90% freehand.

~~~

Kaizer said:
I'm entering this one!

as for my submission, I'm gonna make a hero version of Felguard.
Interesting. I like the shoulder-pads. Do what you can to avoid the "super unit w/ Hero glow" syndrome, though.

MiniMage said:
I think I'm gonna model something else other than a orc. I was in the mood for orcs but not anymore. ;/
Will still hold copies of the orc unless I can't come up with something else in time.
Eesh, sorry to hear that. Definitely keep that Orc; always loved the "mountain giant -> orc" idea. :p Let us/me know if you need any springboard-ideas.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Think I'm just about done with the mesh, got it unwrapped and ready for texturing. Currently sitting on 722 triangles, woo!

However, there is a cloud to that silver lining...

Oh RLY? :p

//EDIT// I just realized that it's been over 1.5 yrs since that post... o_O

I had a quick peek at it the other day for the first time in forever and yeah, it still needs lots of work. It's on my To-Do List, honest! Just gotta build up some steam for modeling again :p

EDIT: ermagherd merdberks screenshert

Attachments

• UberSorc WIP2.jpg
    UberSorc WIP2.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 213
  • UberSorc WIP3.jpg
    UberSorc WIP3.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Level 16
I got working on my shaman too. The body warp is finished and i've done some attachments, sadly i cant post screenshots coz he is on my laptop and i don't have internet there :/

Hmm... Well to be honest, it looks like all you've done is turn the Alpha channels into TeamColor (a little weird) and heightened the mane. I'm not sure what you were going for, or how far you meant to edit it. As it stands, though, this really isn't even much a creep, much less a Hero. What are you going for, ultimately?

IDK myself. The other day I came upon this so I tried to make a snow wolf but I couldn't find a good in-game texture(I want to stay in-game as much as possible).

What's better in your opinion; a heightened mane or not?

Level 48
Kaizer, I think what he means is that your hero looks too much like a Felguard at the moment. You should change him more - maybe even give him a different weapon and animations. (Just not the Blademaster, for the love of god; those are overused)

Also, I think that for it to look good, you should change his head. Maybe keep the face texture, but give him a different 'full-face' helmet?

Alright, here comes the first work in progress picture of the entire mesh combined.

The current triangle count is approximately 2.3k.

So, without further ado, I present to you the Spore Cadaver!

LyI0DUc.jpg

S0n2A8E.jpg

So, what is this thing? A heroified version of the necromancer. I won't reveal all of his lore right now, but basically his job is to

A) Infect as many living things as possible with the plague.
B) Raise masses of undead.

A type of scourge specifically meant to expand the scourge's army.

The little cages on his staff have small planes in them. These planes will be textured with a billboarded mushroom, and hopefully emit spore particle effects. As the spore cadaver walks around, the mushrooms move around, releasing spores into the wind that will take root and spread the plague. The mushrooms are based off the gigantic mushrooms in the world of warcraft area plaguewood.

Next on the to do list is add scraps of clothing and see if I can bring down the triangle count.
After that I will begin texturing and adding particles/hero glow.
And then finally (and what I am looking forward to the most) is animation. A mix of jerky zombie movements and sweeping necrotic motions such as raising the undead and casting foul spells should be quite fun to both animate and look at.

Thoughts?

Alright, here comes the first work in progress picture of the entire mesh combined.

The current triangle count is approximately 2.3k.

So, without further ado, I present to you the Spore Cadaver!

LyI0DUc.jpg

S0n2A8E.jpg

So, what is this thing? A heroified version of the necromancer. I won't reveal all of his lore right now, but basically his job is to

A) Infect as many living things as possible with the plague.
B) Raise masses of undead.

A type of scourge specifically meant to expand the scourge's army.

The little cages on his staff have small planes in them. These planes will be textured with a billboarded mushroom, and hopefully emit spore particle effects. As the spore cadaver walks around, the mushrooms move around, releasing spores into the wind that will take root and spread the plague. The mushrooms are based off the gigantic mushrooms in the world of warcraft area plaguewood.

Next on the to do list is add scraps of clothing and see if I can bring down the triangle count.
After that I will begin texturing and adding particles/hero glow.
And then finally (and what I am looking forward to the most) is animation. A mix of jerky zombie movements and sweeping necrotic motions such as raising the undead and casting foul spells should be quite fun to both animate and look at.

Thoughts?

What non-hero unit is you model based on?

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I honestly dislike the 80s hairstyle. Makes her look like some silly comic book super-hero rather than a Warcraft III hero. But the rest looks good. ^^

Haha, silly comic book super-hero was pretty much what I was going for :p
Pretty much a '90s Jean Grey/'80s Starfire mashup.

Texture's more-or-less done but I'll definitely be going over it a few times, refining colours, improving the composition and whatnot.

EDIT: Derp, helps if I actually attach the image :p

Attachments

• UberSorc WIP4.jpg
    UberSorc WIP4.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 194
Level 18
@BallisticTerrain;
I'm assuming it's a Heroic version of a Zombie with a 'Plague-bearer' idea in mind...
Nice concept...

From the WIP you post, the model has a straight back... I would suggest make it hunch (like WoW Forsaken or in-game Zombie) and add some fungus growing at its back maybe...
The staff is kinda short, with the lantern and all... I would also suggest have the lantern placed above the models height...
And the lanterns, perhaps switching it with fungus-growing skulls beaming with spores would make it appear more 'Scourge-like'...
For animation, perhaps the model can lean on its staff as support for standing and moving... For offence, it can 'pull' spores from the lantern and hurl them to its targets...

NOTE : This are just my suggestion/idea... You don't have to follow them... After all, this is YOUR model and design...

If you read my entire post, which no one seems to be doing, then you would see that those are not lanterns but instead mushroom cages, it is a heroic version of the necromancer, and the spore concept will indeed be incorporated. Your post basically said the same thing I posted along with the WIP.

I think I will add more fungus to his back though. Thanks for responding.

Ok, sorry then.
I don't want to use skulls instead because skulls are seriously overused and they wouldn't really fit the concept of the model. He will have spore particle effects though.
The staff is just slightly taller than the character. If I make it any bigger I risk making it look silly.
I added the banner on the staff to make it look scourge like. It will be textured with something scourge like such as the scourge emblem.

As for movement, he will indeed be grasping the staff but I don't want him all hunched over and leaning on it. He might be a bloated zombie but he is still physically strong. I think It will make him look a little more imposing if he walks upright. He will move in a jerky contorted fashion though.

Also, I have a question for anyone who uses 3ds max and NeoDex to make models. I will add event objects in magos, but I am going to add attachment points in 3ds max.
The problem is, I don't know if I need to animate them or not. For example, if I put a attachment point on the character's hand, and then during an animation he reaches his hand out to cast a spell, do I animate the attachment point to follow his hand or put the attachment point where his hand ends up while casting the spell?

Level 21
Here's an update on the texture, getting very close to finishing it.
HeroAbominationSS3_zpsd9bc1fe4.jpg

BallisticTerrain, it reminds me a lot of The Last of Us. It'll be interesting to see how it looks after you've put a texture on it. I really can't comment on the mesh too much since I can't see the wires, but it looks good. It's a little high in tris for my taste but that's irrelevant to the competition.

Ok, I'll do it in magos then.

Why doing it in magos? Just create a Wc3AttachPoint in NeoDex and link it to the bone. as for Event Objects, you must create a point and name it "Obj:<event obj name>" afterwards add a track note to it and add the key where you want it to fire up.

Level 48
Shit, SuPa-, that is amazing. He looks great with the texture.
May I suggest one more thing, though? How about a bulgy eye with a black iris, like the original Abomination? I think it gives the unit\hero a lot of character. Right now, with white, empty eyes, his face looks a bit boring. At the very least, you could add something like that in the portrait; But the abomination has it in the original unit model anyway.
Also, a rough helmet(something like that, maybe?) could be cool, but it might be too late for that.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Sorry guys; busy busy weekend, very little sleep. Will be updating the first post with ALL THE AWEXOME WIPs SO FAR, holy cow you guys are running with this.

• Don't go ballistic worry, B.Terrain; we didn't miss your first major WIP. I gotta paragraph or two waiting to be typed out. :p
  • -Supa, you scare me. No more than the chain-hook arm does, though. :p
  • WhiteDeath, as always, rather impressive.
  • AnemicRoyalty, STAHP IT. I just can't stop loving you.
  • Kaizer, definitely keep it up.
  • Wrathion, keep looking. I can help if you need ideas.
  • PROXY, we'll give you a chance. Just give us another WIP. ; )
  • eubz, looking interesting.

Looking forward to fulsome brilliance, guys!

Entry - Tauren Champion

Am not sure if am going to finish my model, coz am really bad at extracting animations from 3ds max or even animating in 3ds max, but I'll be posting my entry anyways, I got to try at least.
My Entry is a heroic version of the Orc Tauren Minotaur, Which I would like to call the Tauren Champion.
WIPs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 772
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 779
  • download3.jpeg